AC passenger wakes up alone in empty plane! - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Local Control > 1:1 Scale Commercial Aviation
Supported by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #1
"Hello Moto"!

Default AC passenger wakes up alone in empty plane!

Must have been a pretty deep sleep! Cheers! T7

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/air-ca...lane-1.4478442

Air Canada passenger wakes up to find herself forgotten in empty plane

An Air Canada passenger was forced to organize her own escape from an empty plane in Toronto after flight crews left her asleep in her seat.

The incident, documented in detail on Air Canada’s Facebook page and confirmed by the airline, took place on a June 9 flight from Quebec City to Toronto’s Pearson International Airport.

After finding herself in an empty row, Tiffani Adams said she laid down to sleep less than halfway into the short 90-minute flight. When she woke up, she was completely alone in the pitch-black aircraft.

“I wake up around midnight, few hours after [the] flight landed, freezing cold still strapped in my seat in complete darkness,” Adams recalled in the post.

“I attempt to charge my phone by plugging into every USB port I could find—no luck because when they shut the aircraft down there is no power whatsoever… since I can’t charge my phone to call for help I’m full on panicking because I want off this nightmare ASAP.”

Adams then made her way to the cockpit, where she attempted to use a radio to call for help,but couldn’t use the plane’s radio without power. She eventually found a flashlight and began signaling out of the plane’s windows, hoping to attract attention.

At the same time, she found a way to open the plane’s door – but had no way to get down.

“Now I’m facing a 40-50ft drop to the pavement below... I search frantically for a rope so I can climb down to safely. [The] flight attendants seat is right by the door I opened, but the seatbelt is too short to hang from, so back to my distress signals."

Adams, who said the plane was parked far away from the airport terminal, eventually attracted the attention of a baggage attendant who brought a ladder truck to the plane to rescue her.

“He is in shock asking how the heck they left me on the plane,” she wrote.

“I’m wondering the same… when my seat an inch back or my tray [is] down flight crew take notice, but yet you missed a person still strapped into her seat and just all go on home?”

In a statement to CTVNews.ca, an Air Canada spokesperson confirmed Adam’s story, but declined to share any additional details.

Adams said she was immediately approached by an Air Canada representative on the ground who offered to get her a limo or hotel room. She declined, stating that she just wanted to go home.

A spokesperson said the airline remains in contact with Adams, who said she has suffered nightmares since the incident.

“I haven’t got much sleep since the reoccurring night terrors and waking up anxious and afraid I’m alone locked up someplace dark,” she wrote.

The airline says it is reviewing the incident.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T7_4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2019, 08:13 PM   #2
Frogger

Default Re: AC passenger wakes up alone in empty plane!

I don't understand how something like this happens.

With that being said...she's waking up to night terrors? Uh huh. Just exactly how much do you want? Just spit it out.
arctic9048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #3
King of the Geeks

How bizarre. The airplane must have been staying the night at Pearson. Cleaners or mechanics would have found her if it was going to be leaving again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

David
Kitty Hawk 1903 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2019, 12:57 AM   #4
I Love Beagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic9048 View Post
I don't understand how something like this happens.

With that being said...she's waking up to night terrors? Uh huh. Just exactly how much do you want? Just spit it out.
That's exactly what I was thinking. An airport is probably a safer place to be stranded than anywhere else, especially out on the tarmac. And if she couldn't find a way off of the plane, just grab a pillow, have some shuteye until the next morning when the crew comes back for the next flight. Night terrors seems like quite a stretch, but of course I am not her and I cannot know what she is experiencing.

DC-10_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 08:15 AM   #5
Diecast Quality Inspector

Do the flight attendants not do a sweep of the aircraft at the end of each flight? Also the cleaners need to get on board to clean it for the next flight,trash removed, toilets emptied etc....what happened to all that? Can't believe everyone got off and just left the plane as it was!!!

The missing B.707s still needed to be done in 1/400: Ethiopian, Uganda Airlines, Air Zimbabwe (rainbow scheme), Kenya Airways, Air Niugini.

DC-8s still needed to be done in 1/400: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Surinam Airways, Air Spain

Aeroclassics Comets still missing- Dan Air (4 & 4C), United Arab Airlines/Misrair/Egyptair, Kuwait AW, Sudan AW, East African AW, Saudi Royal Flt.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
"Hello Moto"!

Wow. It seems this has never happened before in the aviation industry based on the article below. I am leaning towards she managed to access the LAV and hid there until the cabin was clear of all activity. She is milking this for all the $$$$. Simple question to the cleaning crew; "hey did any of you folks see a passenger asleep in the cabin while doing your jobs?" No we didn't. There you go, she hid herself out of sight.

================================================== ================================================== =======
Air Canada continues to investigate how crew members could have disembarked from a plane without noticing a sleeping passenger who was still on board, an incident experts say raises serious security issues.

After flying from Quebec City to Toronto’s Pearson International Airport on June 9, Tiffani Louise O’Brien woke up from a mid-flight nap to realize she was completely alone, locked inside the pitch-black aircraft.

“[I was] still in my same seat, 32A, which is about middle of the plane and it was completely pitch-black,” she explained to CTV News Winnipeg.

“I thought this is a nightmare, this is not happening, I am having a bad dream.”

O’Brien said she woke up to several text messages from a friend who had dropped her off at the airport in Quebec City, concerned that she had yet to hear from her after the short flight.

After briefly calling her from the dark plane, O’Brien’s phone died. Her friend then contacted Pearson International Airport to alert ground crews to the situation.

“I said her airplane would have landed two hours ago, she texted me she just woke up,” Deanna Dale told CTV News. “I said I don’t know what’s going on but she’s at the airport.”

After searching around the dark plane, O’Brien said she made her way to the cockpit, where she attempted to use a radio to call for help, but couldn’t use the plane’s radio without power.

“I was so scared that I was going to touch something wrong, but I knew I had to do something,” she explained.

She said she eventually found a flashlight and began signalling out of the plane’s windows, hoping to attract attention.

After managing to open one of the plane’s doors, O’Brien was eventually rescued from the aircraft after being spotted by grounds crews.

Air Canada confirmed O’Brien’s story, but declined to share any additional details citing a review of the incident.

Though it remains unclear how crew members missed O’Brien before disembarking the plane, experts say it raises serious security concerns.

“If this would have happened with someone else who may have different intentions, injury could have resulted,” said Gabor Lukacs, founder of Air Passenger Rights.

“The passenger had access to the cockpit and could have, hypothetically, turned on the aircraft. That would not have been a good thing to happen, to say the very least.”

Christina Ling, a flight attendant instructor in Vancouver, said a lot of things would have to go wrong for a passenger to be left on an aircraft.

“I've never encountered this situation before,” she said. "Once the flight crew has disembarked, the aircraft is still very much a hub of business. Groomers come on, catering comes on, a maintenance crew comes on and everything is checked."

Former pilot and consultant Ross Aimer told The Canadian Press that he's never heard of such an incident in roughly four decades of aviation service.

He said the incident shows that someone with malicious intent could hide on a plane and attempt to hijack it.

O’Brien, who said she was offered a limo or hotel room by an Air Canada representative immediately after being rescued, said she’s still struggling with incident.

“It’s just a sheer sense of helplessness when you feel like you’re locked on this aircraft and you have no connection to the outside world,” she explained.

T7_4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #7
Acolyte of Aeolus

Maybe she's friends with Jussie Smollett.
Flown on: DC-4, DC-6, DC-7C, DC-8 (-10, -30, -40, -50, -63, -70), DC-9 (-15, -30) MD80, MD88, DC-10-10, DC-10-30, B707 (-300, -400) B720, B721, B722, B731, B732, B733, B734, B735, B737, B741, B742, B744, B752, B753, B762, B763, B772, Viscount, Vanguard, BAC 1-11, Convair 340, 440, 580, 990, FH227, Fokker 100, Fokker 28, Electra, L1049G, L1011, BAe 146, Caravelle, Airbus: 319, 320, 321, 300, 340-600. 380-800, EMB 110, HP Jetstream.
snowghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 01:39 AM   #8
Jaded Collector

Oops. My wife did something similar on a train once. Luckily for her she had a working phone.
Adour is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: