Dragon 1:400 Space Shuttle Questions - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:400 Scale Model Aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:42 PM   #1
Collector

Default Dragon 1:400 Space Shuttle Questions

For a long while, two of my favorite models in the collection have been the 2 Dragon Wings 1:400 NASA 747 SCA's with Space Shuttle Orbiters Enterprise and Discovery that I was fortunate to grab at a decent price several years back.

Over the years, Dragon has offered quite a few Space Shuttle options in addition to the SCA's which are always tempting to buy. I thought it would be neat to be able to "switch" the Orbiter on the 747 by purchasing a separate one and mounting it to the aircraft.

Has anyone on here tried this?

A few questions I have regarding this:

1) In real life, the Orbiter mounted to the External Tank and SCA using the same attach points. That in mind, I would assume that the Dragon Orbiter models also use the same holes to attach to both. This would lead me to believe that I could purchase an ET-mounted shuttle to put on the SCA?
I have searched for pictures to confirm this but have been unable to find any.

2) On a similar note, are the Dragon landing gear down versions of the Orbiter equipped with the holes for mounting?

3) Lastly, when transported on the SCA, the Orbiter flew with a large aerodynamic tailcone covering the engine nozzles. This is included with the Dragon Orbiter models that came with the SCA's. Does anybody know if the tailcone is able to be removed from the SCA Orbiter's and attached to another Orbiter? It looks like it is a separate part but I'm afraid to try removing it.

Thanks for any help! I know these are weirdly specific questions but I figure someone on here may have messed with this before.
AustrianAirlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
Insane Collector

Default Re: Dragon 1:400 Space Shuttle Questions

I actually did this very thing about 10 years ago! It took some tweaking and care, but my final result was good enough for me! Unfortunately, I do not have pictures....

1) Any of the SRB mounted Shuttles I purchased had the same 3 holes to those that were sold as a pack with the Shuttle Carrier 747.

2) From my memory, the ones with landing gear had these 3 holes either plugged or they did not exist to begin with. I am not entirely sure about this one though to be honest.

3) The tailcone is the hard part of this mod. It is a separate piece yes, but it is quite snug on the shuttle. In order to remove it, I used an exacto blade and worked my way around the crease on the tailcone and gently tugged on it by hand until it popped off. I did damage the shuttle it was housed on in the process, but it was purchased for the entire purpose of this mod, so I did not need it once the tailcone was removed.
Also, from what I recall, when I wanted to retrofit the tailcone onto the shuttle, I needed to remove the engine cones on the back in order to fit it on. After some tweaking, I glued it onto the shuttle and touched it up with some white paint around the crease to hide my mods and minor paint chips I had.

It is certainly a doable project, but if you do not want to risk damaging two perfectly good models for a mod, I would refrain.I hope this helps!

Last edited by IflyHA; 02-04-2020 at 03:14 PM.
IflyHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #3
Master Collector

I can confirm that my version of Endeavor with landing gear does have the mounting holes that should fit either the SCA or external tank. I concur with IflyHA regarding the tailcone, that looks to be difficult to remove on Enterprise.

My holy grails:

Sun Country 727-200 late 1990's colors
Alrosa Tu-154 latest colors / Tu-134 old colors
Yamal & Interjet SSJ-100
Kenya Airways 737-800 New colors

Flown on: A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 ATR72 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 B742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3T/7/8-200 Do228/328J E110/120/135/140/145/170/175/190
F50/100 JS31 L10/15 L410 MD11/80/90 RJ85 S340 SSJ100 Tu134/154 Yak42
dennypayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2020, 12:08 PM   #4
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by IflyHA View Post
I actually did this very thing about 10 years ago! It took some tweaking and care, but my final result was good enough for me! Unfortunately, I do not have pictures....

1) Any of the SRB mounted Shuttles I purchased had the same 3 holes to those that were sold as a pack with the Shuttle Carrier 747.

2) From my memory, the ones with landing gear had these 3 holes either plugged or they did not exist to begin with. I am not entirely sure about this one though to be honest.

3) The tailcone is the hard part of this mod. It is a separate piece yes, but it is quite snug on the shuttle. In order to remove it, I used an exacto blade and worked my way around the crease on the tailcone and gently tugged on it by hand until it popped off. I did damage the shuttle it was housed on in the process, but it was purchased for the entire purpose of this mod, so I did not need it once the tailcone was removed.
Also, from what I recall, when I wanted to retrofit the tailcone onto the shuttle, I needed to remove the engine cones on the back in order to fit it on. After some tweaking, I glued it onto the shuttle and touched it up with some white paint around the crease to hide my mods and minor paint chips I had.

It is certainly a doable project, but if you do not want to risk damaging two perfectly good models for a mod, I would refrain.I hope this helps!
Aha I knew someone on here would have attempted this before, thank you for your help and insight!
I feared you might say that the tailcone removal was tricky, but I guess that is to be expected. We'll see if I can work up the courage to give it a try.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:17 PM   #5
Complete Wacko!

could I add if anyone has one of these for sale white or silver, I would be interested. but not paying silly price. I am in u.k. thanks.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:26 PM   #6
17 years collecting

I found out how to remove the tail cone simply by dropping mine, but thankfully the three component parts were easily glued back together. I wasn't aware of any rocket boosters though ? Are/were they just available on the solid rocket booster editions ? Mine is the one released with the silver 'American Airlines' SCA.
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:27 AM   #7
Livery polution rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Are/were they just available on the solid rocket booster editions ? Mine is the one released with the silver 'American Airlines' SCA.
There is at least Columbia STS-1 on the launch stack with the fuel tank white, and Atlantis on a natural colour tank. Checking the DB you can get all 5 on SRBs
mark4323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:20 PM   #8
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
I found out how to remove the tail cone simply by dropping mine, but thankfully the three component parts were easily glued back together. I wasn't aware of any rocket boosters though ? Are/were they just available on the solid rocket booster editions ? Mine is the one released with the silver 'American Airlines' SCA.
Yes the full stack configuration versions, which have been made to represent specific shuttle missions for all 5 Orbiters, include the solid rocket boosters and external tank. Dragon has also made some versions to include the crawler transporter. I believe the 747 SCA Orbiters do not have the SSME nozzles under the tailcone if this is what you are referring to.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #9
17 years collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustrianAirlines View Post
I believe the 747 SCA Orbiters do not have the SSME nozzles under the tailcone if this is what you are referring to.
Yes that's what I'm referring to, nothing but dead air under my tail cone.
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: