Recent release talk ... - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 1.50 average.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:46 AM   #1
Too many models! (1500+)

Default Recent release talk ...

A few random questions / comments on recent releases:

EA-18G - Growler.

This is listed by Hobbymaster as as 'new tooling' and it has its own section on the HMC website. Can anybody please explain how different this is from the F-18F?

HA7740 P-51D Mustang "Jumpin Jacques"

This appears to be another stunning HM P-51 release.

1/48 P-40B/C

The mould is pretty much as expected, though it should come with ring sights. In general, I won't get any (i have all 3 carousel1 releases, which are better, rubber guns and all) but I will get one if HM makes one with a natural metal finish. A P-40B/C with a natural metal finish from HM would look great.

1/48 F4F Wildcat

HM has a decent but unspectacular F4F mould. There are many things that they can do with this, including a few british releases. One release that I'd love to see is the 'red cowl' guadalcanal version that Dragon released as a 1/72 model:

Mirage

The recent HM mirage release shows how far HM quality has fallen. While not terrible, just compare this with the old release with a similar livery and you'll see there is no comparison. While you might argue at the margins that the blue or grey color is slightly more accurate in the new release, overall the old release has a presence and subtle detailing that the new one can't approach. That said, there are a few places such as in a few small fine details where the new one is slightly better.

1/48 P-47

It's time for HM to step up with some more interesting 1/48 P-47s. They have some great moulds that have been underutilized thanks to poor livery choices ("silver lady", "penrod and sam", "pisanos", etc)

Hurricane

Let's hope the new night reapear and airshow SEAC livery versions open the floodgates of a host of new and exciting liveries for this very good mould.

Su-27

Ukraine splinter schemes are can't lose, superb releases. What is HM waiting for?

Phantom

I've been banging on about this without much effect recently, but HM better release some colourful JASDF phantoms before Air Commander beats them to the punch.

Tomcat

I saw the freelancers tomcat in person in japan. looks good. time for HM to make the splinter NSAWC bird ASAP though.

EA-6

We are still waiting for a playboy bunnies / cherry point one. This is arguably a top 2 or 3 iconic livery for this bird.. where is it?

Century wings birds

Surely it's time for HM to make a crusader and intruder, no? Century wings is on life support at best.

Helicopters

Helicopters continue to get nearly no discussion here or in other similar fora. Let's face it - as great as the releases are, they just don't generate the excitement that fixed wing aircraft do.

Calibre Wings

Rumour has it that CW's next su24 releases are imminent. The pitot (rubber plastic as it is) is not that bad - really. My friend the su24 expert has built metal replacements for his but honestly the included one is mostly fine and the idea that it isn't is a talking point tossed around the forums that's taken a life of its own mostly by people who havent acutally seen the real thing.

AFter being cool on it initially, I've become interested in their upcoming F-16. I like detailed models and it certainly qualifies. I just wish they chose more interesting liveries.

Calibre is essentially now the quality leader in the market. You might argue about Air Commander too, but they seem disconnected from the people.

Hobbymaster Sabre

Hobbymaster badly needs to create 'F' wings for their sabre so that they can release JASDF Blue Impulse and many many other liveries.

Air Commander

Their Vietnam camo releases aren't cutting it. Time to take their excellent moulds and house styles and find liveries that work with both.

Corgi

I don't really follow corgi any more, but I see that they have a new Halifax out. If you collect 1/72 bombers, corgi's halifaxes are just wonderful.
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2019, 05:09 PM   #2
Junior Collector

Default Re: Recent release talk ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post
A few random questions / comments on recent releases:
Su-27

Ukraine splinter schemes are can't lose, superb releases. What is HM waiting for?

Century wings birds

Surely it's time for HM to make a crusader and intruder, no? Century wings is on life support at best.

1. i agree

2. hell yes! (i am a crusader fanatic) i might add, a corsair II would be nice too, the jc wings aren't bad but not great either
theo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 10:16 PM   #3
The Collector

These schemes or similar

1/48 P-40B/C

1/48 P-47

Hurricane

Su-27

Ukrainian digital camo is a no brainer

Calibre

Note that the nose is also not cream and where the shark mouth extends to.

Hobby Master

Waiting on their MiG-29, again Ukrainian digital schemes are an obvious choice but seems like HM don't do obvious, they prefer to release stuff no one ever cared for and then wonder why sales are down. F-8, A-6 and A-7 have missed the boat, there would have been a time collectors bought the crap out of these but with the way things are now, I very much doubt that's still the case and I reckon HM from now on will be very cautious with their new toolings. They seem to release a few models and then that mould fades away once it's not the big hit they expected it to be. Again polls on their website or start a FB page would give them a clearer picture on what moulds / schemes to release.

Helicopters

Not interested in any of the plain olive green Apaches. The JGSDF has some very serious flaws in the scheme, I don't think HM are fixing it. Other then that, an Israeli Apache in two tone desert colours. Only other helicopter I'd bother with is the Hind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ukrainian_Falcons is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #4
Retired the Hobby

Speaking of the HM Mirage 2000, i still prefer the first HA1601 version because to me the grey color is both more correct & appealing IMO.. with the new version that just came out HA1614, the grey color has a lot of pink mixed in which i don't really like that much, it's very noticeable when you put both models side by side for color comparison, the grey in first version HA1601 has a slight 'green' to it whereas the new version HA1614 has definitely a pink/grey color combination, especially under certain light conditions..

But one minor flaw that is corrected on the new HA1614 version is that when the model is displayed in the flight mode, the front landing gear doors is not sticking out any more.. with the first releases HA1601 & HA1602 that was very noticeable, only if the models were displayed in the flight mode with all landing gears retracted..

...that one day I will see many more colorful JC Wings MD-11 models and the long-awaited Gemini 200 TWA twin stripes 727-200!

I always fly America's favorite airline: Southwest Airlines and the World's oldest KLM!

Paris the greatest city on earth! Vive la France!
Surinam Air 747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:26 AM   #5
The Collector

First HM MiG-29 scheme is out. Same as Herpa's first Soviet Fulcrum, only difference is they did White 52 and it looks like HM version might offer more markings.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:45 AM   #6
Too many models! (1500+)

i've provisionally unblocked you as you've behaved.

glad the first mig29 scheme is one that i dont like. hopefully they'll get the bugs out.

the profile pic shows a fair amount of technical stencils let's see if reality will match this.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:51 AM   #7
Junior Collector

the ef-18g takes the leading edge dog-tooth away and adds wing-blade

Last edited by MarcusR; 05-19-2019 at 10:55 AM.
MarcusR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 10:55 AM   #8
Junior Collector

the red parts are the differences
Old 05-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #9
Been out the Loop!!

I cant see the pic of the G so apologies if it shows this.
In addition to the leading edge and the wing fence there is also the "pizza box" receiver that sits just in front of the hori stab and behind the wing.

As for the Prowler...I think they will be hard pressed to release a Playboy bunny with all the licencing red tape that surrounds it,but I would love to see it. I've wanted one for as long as I've been collecting so may have to resort to doing my own.
evo524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:46 AM   #10
The Collector

First Fulcrums scheme is defo not the best but if there aren't any major bugs with it and nothing else is out, I might pick it up.

The dangerous thing for HM now is, Herpa have a fairly competent release of their own, if the colours are off, it's gonna instantly look bad.

Herpa's version for reference

https://www.eztoys.com/russian-air-f...cale-1-72.html

Old Yesterday, 01:54 AM   #11
Too many models! (1500+)

I dont think that actual copyright issues prevent the prowler scheme being made. However, HM's fear that there might be might.

So, the HM growler may have a few new parts. Great. This makes it about as 'new tooling' as the EF-111 for example. But, we all know that HMC/HM's calls of 'new tooling' are a bit arbitrary at times - all spitfires are in one category on the HMC website despite there being at least 2 or 3 end to end different toolings in there.

@MarcusR - your image is not visible. Thank you though!

Last edited by FortunateSon; Yesterday at 05:36 AM.
Old Yesterday, 06:14 AM   #12
Junior Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post
I dont think that actual copyright issues prevent the prowler scheme being made. However, HM's fear that there might be might.

So, the HM growler may have a few new parts. Great. This makes it about as 'new tooling' as the EF-111 for example. But, we all know that HMC/HM's calls of 'new tooling' are a bit arbitrary at times - all spitfires are in one category on the HMC website despite there being at least 2 or 3 end to end different toolings in there.

@MarcusR - your image is not visible. Thank you though!
Try this one? I have the same question before when witty released their G, sadly witty just added the wing fence
Old Today, 03:25 PM   #13
Junior Collector

Photos of the Growler are up on the HM Collector website. https://hobbymastercollector.com/HA5150.html

First thoughts?
sigmeister is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: