Gemini Quality Control - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:400 Scale Model Aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
aka Goonybird

Default Gemini Quality Control

With these models getting £40-50 a piece is it acceptable that the quality appears to be getting worse. Moreso what is deemed acceptable?

BOAC/BA Retro 747-400 as new from a private seller, so returns become more difficult?

Crack to communications dome and Paint bleed both sides at the front.
Overall lovely model let down by poor QC and poorly applied tampo.
In discussion with seller best course of action as not really a rejection, more a disappointment in Gemini themslves. Please don't go the way of Aeroclassics, which I have already documented (last four AC models all with faults)

Last edited by Aviaction; 07-22-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Aviaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2019, 09:53 AM   #2
747-400 Collector

It’s been downhill for a while now. I believe the month AFTER the release of Gemini’s KLM CARGO 747-400F it spiraled. Especially with the new Lufthansa livery 744, the gear was absolutely atrocious. And nowadays most of their 747 releases are coming to both my local retailers brand new with some markings or something visible wrong on all of them. I’m at both my retailers hours upon them receiving it and I’m usually the first to open the first 20 boxes of a new Gemini 747 release until I even find a decent one. If you even attempt to complain to Gemini about this you get blocked so it’s a lose-lose situation since I won’t spend my money on Phoenix 747s.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
JagT747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #3
Master Collector

Angry Re: Gemini Quality Control

Had to straighten the nose gear and the left main gear on the North Central CV-580.
Michael Magdaleno is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Default Re: Gemini Quality Control

I am not trying to diminish your concerns, however as discussed many times before, anytime you zoom in on something the half the size of a pea, and blow it up it is going to look a lot more exaggerated then it really is. 99% of most people looking at that model would never notice a hairline crack almost needing a magnifying glass to spot..
crownvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #5
747-400 Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownvic View Post
I am not trying to diminish your concerns, however as discussed many times before, anytime you zoom in on something the half the size of a pea, and blow it up it is going to look a lot more exaggerated then it really is. 99% of most people looking at that model would never notice a hairline crack almost needing a magnifying glass to spot..
It’s not even that. I was at my retailer when the 100 years Landor arrived. We’re talking 3-4 hours upon them receiving it. I didn’t bother taking a picture because we were all laughing at the fact that someone took the left main landing gear and applied the left gear to the right one so you had 2 left main landing gears attached to one model. The retailer hadn’t even opened the box yet. But that was my only issue. Haven’t seen any cracks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:56 PM   #6
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagT747 View Post
It’s not even that. I was at my retailer when the 100 years Landor arrived. We’re talking 3-4 hours upon them receiving it. I didn’t bother taking a picture because we were all laughing at the fact that someone took the left main landing gear and applied the left gear to the right one so you had 2 left main landing gears attached to one model. The retailer hadn’t even opened the box yet. But that was my only issue. Haven’t seen any cracks
I agree, that is bad...unfortunately it is so hard to police every single model made.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:10 PM   #7
I Love Beagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Magdaleno View Post
Had to straighten the nose gear and the left main gear on the North Central CV-580.
2 of the 3 CV-580s I own came with bent nose gear.

DC-10_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 05:19 PM   #8
Diecast Quality Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Magdaleno View Post
The North Central CV580 is a 'tail sitter' too. Anything it stands on that is not levelled with a 'spirit level, it is difficult to get it to stand on its u/c due to insufficient nose weight

The missing B.707s still needed to be done in 1/400: Ethiopian, Uganda Airlines, Air Zimbabwe (rainbow scheme), Kenya Airways, Air Niugini.

DC-8s still needed to be done in 1/400: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Surinam Airways, Air Spain

Aeroclassics Comets still missing- Dan Air (4 & 4C), United Arab Airlines/Misrair/Egyptair, Kuwait AW, Sudan AW, East African AW, Saudi Royal Flt.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:31 AM   #9
The Truth Detector

I picked up the BOAC 747 at a recent model show. It's a beautifully done model, and joins my collection. Some of you, no names, have sucked the fun out of this hobby with your never ending nitpicking and criticizing of every model released, except NG or Panda. Are your lives that pathetic that you have nothing else but to criticize other's hard work?
Just say NO to Apollo400/Black Box/Panda Models/Junk-X/First Choice/C&C/IF400/AV400/Witty400/Magic/AV200/AK200/Flightline/Flightline200/Flightline400/Pegasus/Blue Angle/5stars & any BigBirds (real or fake)
aklein707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:49 AM   #10
15 years collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by aklein707 View Post
I picked up the BOAC 747 at a recent model show. It's a beautifully done model, and joins my collection. Some of you, no names, have sucked the fun out of this hobby with your never ending nitpicking and criticizing of every model released, except NG or Panda. Are your lives that pathetic that you have nothing else but to criticize other's hard work?
I believe his criticism is aimed at the cracked sat-dome, which is attached to a £50 model 747 with printing discrepancies ? Perhaps Gemini Jets could send him a replacement part or even swap out the model for a better example ? This would be a constructive response to the issue and would avoid the need for somewhat pious responses such as the above.
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:42 AM   #11
aka Goonybird

Thanks al.

I took nitpicking - as AK calls it - to be rivet counters eg color pantone wrong, cockpit position, shape of parts.
not qc issues which shoudn't get as far as the slow boat from China...
So basically if AK has bought one he is saying he would have accepted these issues?
When these things were 20 quid then I may have been a bit more leniant on QC but to me 40-50 quid is a serious wodge of money...

Its got to a point I am "scared " to order something for fear it will come through broken, faulty, as my recent experiences haven't been good. And that includes Gemini, Aeroclassics and NG.
The point of the thread is whether this is acceptable , or not.

Last edited by Aviaction; 07-23-2019 at 04:46 AM.
Aviaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:04 AM   #12
Collector

Quote:
So just to be clear, if someone got one of your products and it was cracked, that's within your company's acceptable quality control standards? Thanks for letting us know.

EDIT: Also, there is a thread about an NG production issue with the L-1011 too. You might be shocked, but they don't constantly ***** about it. They just get better.

Last edited by Ribeye; 07-23-2019 at 05:17 AM.
Ribeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:12 AM   #13
P&W Wasp Major

No names, but if you can’t stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Out, one of the Pathetics
doug seeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:44 AM   #14
Junior Collector

Angry Re: Gemini Quality Control

Here is my first and last Gemini model bought without opening the box first. No need for macro zoom here....

No Gemini 'mail order' for me ever !

Flaws: somebody forgot to paint other wing with red safety markings, paint touch ups done using brush, different paint color and hand of 2 year old !!!

Ericson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:38 AM   #15
Super Moderator

you can sleep well tonight...another expert....
Attached Thumbnails
Gemini Quality Control-ph-bfn_klm_boeing_747-400_accident-660x330.jpg   Gemini Quality Control-klm-1.jpg  
Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 AM   #16
Master Collector

I’m very happy with my GJ models quality. Is there an issue 1 out of a 100 models at times, maybe. If there is I just go ahead and exchange it for another one that is it. I’ve had issues like this with all other manufacturers models over the course of 20+ years of collecting. Just send it back and get a new one or your $$ back.
Errors will happen from time to time.
Enjoy this great hobby of ours. I still get excited for the following months release.
Enjoy!
Old 07-23-2019, 11:54 AM   #17
The Truth Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribeye View Post
So just to be clear, if someone got one of your products and it was cracked, that's within your company's acceptable quality control standards? Thanks for letting us know.

EDIT: Also, there is a thread about an NG production issue with the L-1011 too. You might be shocked, but they don't constantly ***** about it. They just get better.
What I'm saying a****le, is that if your standard is under a magnifying glass or macro lens, perhaps you are in the wrong hobby.

My standard is, if it's not visible to the naked eye, then there's nothing wrong with it.

And if you are the unlucky one to receive one damaged, just return it for replacement or refund. If your dealer refuses, change dealers. It's not rocket science you know!

If you're being charged 50 Quid for a 400 scale model, you might also want to reconsider your source!!
Just say NO to Apollo400/Black Box/Panda Models/Junk-X/First Choice/C&C/IF400/AV400/Witty400/Magic/AV200/AK200/Flightline/Flightline200/Flightline400/Pegasus/Blue Angle/5stars & any BigBirds (real or fake)

Last edited by aklein707; 07-23-2019 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #18
The Truth Detector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericson View Post
Here is my first and last Gemini model bought without opening the box first. No need for macro zoom here....

No Gemini 'mail order' for me ever !

Flaws: somebody forgot to paint other wing with red safety markings, paint touch ups done using brush, different paint color and hand of 2 year old !!!

"As real as it gets" is their motto!!
Old 07-23-2019, 12:35 PM   #19
Collector

!

New definition for 2 wrongs don't make a right (2 left gear doesn't make a right)!

Good points Andrew, send it back, change retailers, or just put it on display with others and you won't notice the flaws. The hobby is supposed to be fun, not something that causes stress!
jcahea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 10:33 PM   #20
747-400 Collector

[QUOTE=jcahea;2710284][IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/images/smilies/lol.gif[/IMG]!

New definition for 2 wrongs don't make a right (2 left gear doesn't make a right)! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/images/smilies/lol.gif[/IMG]

Good points Andrew, send it back, change retailers, or just put it on display with others and you won't notice the flaws. The hobby is supposed to be fun, not something that causes stress![/QUOTE

It was horribly explained but the gear was misaligned. Don’t know if people will still get what I mean but to the naked eye from a “distance” it was definitely a QC error. Also cracks like these are visible and non repairable right?

Old 07-24-2019, 07:46 AM   #21
Diecast Quality Inspector

Quote:

If you're being charged 50 Quid for a 400 scale model, you might also want to reconsider your source!!
Andrew - you need to keep up! Gemini have recently hiked up their prices and in UK we have 20% VAT tax added - the BOAC 747 at Air Spotters is £48.30 and at ARD it's £45.50 with the about-to-be released BA Negus 747 at £49.95!!!!
So where do we go for cheaper models? Buy from the States and you get stung with shipping charges + a 20% Customs Import Tax + another £8 handling charge!!! This is killing the hobby and every release now I have to seriously think if I really need that model?

The missing B.707s still needed to be done in 1/400: Ethiopian, Uganda Airlines, Air Zimbabwe (rainbow scheme), Kenya Airways, Air Niugini.

DC-8s still needed to be done in 1/400: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Surinam Airways, Air Spain

Aeroclassics Comets still missing- Dan Air (4 & 4C), United Arab Airlines/Misrair/Egyptair, Kuwait AW, Sudan AW, East African AW, Saudi Royal Flt.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:42 AM   #22
Senior Collector

On thread topic, I just glued together 4 parts on a GJ KLM 747-400. Don't know if it's quality control or if seller did a schitty job packing it. Since seller used a stock photo, could have very well been that way from the beginning.

On topic of prices, just noticed that NG L1011s and A330s are going for $49.95. While they may be producing the bees knees in diecast, I will be passing on their AA A330 which I thought would have been a nice to have. There are calls for NG to do 747s, but I'm not sure if we want to see what they will charge for the largest aircraft in 1/400 scale.....

Harvey

Previous Arrivals: AeroClassics British Airways A320 World's Biggest Offer
C141*Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:20 PM   #23
Collector

When I started collecting 1:400 GJ and AC when they first started, planes were around $24.95...so the price has doubled in about 20 years. I guess other products have more than doubled in 20 years! Because of my inability to see such tiny detail I switched to 1:200 to get a more substantial rendering. This way I can stand back and see my planes instead of right up against the glass on my curio cabinets like a window licker!
Old 07-24-2019, 12:32 PM   #24
Acolyte of Aeolus

AFAIK the KLM safety markings are all on the starboard side, where all the ground vehicles mill about.
Flown on: DC-4, DC-6, DC-7C, DC-8 (-10, -30, -40, -50, -63, -70), DC-9 (-15, -30) MD80, MD88, DC-10-10, DC-10-30, B707 (-300, -400) B720, B721, B722, B731, B732, B733, B734, B735, B737, B741, B742, B744, B752, B753, B762, B763, B772, Viscount, Vanguard, BAC 1-11, Convair 340, 440, 580, 990, FH227, Fokker 100, Fokker 28, Electra, L1049G, L1011, BAe 146, Caravelle, Airbus: 319, 320, 321, 300, 340-600. 380-800, EMB 110, HP Jetstream.
snowghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
AFAIK the KLM safety markings are all on the starboard side, where all the ground vehicles mill about.
confirmed.....please see my photos posted above...ironically it does not appear to be working too well as the photo shows a collision with a ground loader on the starboard side.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:59 PM   #26
Collector

If you are keeping it you can fill the crack in the dome and repaint so it will be less noticeable.
Old 07-24-2019, 01:37 PM   #27
Acolyte of Aeolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownvic View Post
confirmed.....please see my photos posted above...ironically it does not appear to be working too well as the photo shows a collision with a ground loader on the starboard side.
Oh my, didn't see that at first. That wasn't good at all.
Flown on: DC-4, DC-6, DC-7C, DC-8 (-10, -30, -40, -50, -63, -70), DC-9 (-15, -30) MD80, MD88, DC-10-10, DC-10-30, B707 (-300, -400) B720, B721, B722, B731, B732, B733, B734, B735, B737, B741, B742, B744, B752, B753, B762, B763, B772, Viscount, Vanguard, BAC 1-11, Convair 340, 440, 580, 990, FH227, Fokker 100, Fokker 28, Electra, L1049G, L1011, BAe 146, Caravelle, Airbus: 319, 320, 321, 300, 340-600. 380-800, EMB 110, HP Jetstream.
snowghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:11 PM   #28
Insane Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcahea View Post
When I started collecting 1:400 GJ and AC when they first started, planes were around $24.95...so the price has doubled in about 20 years. I guess other products have more than doubled in 20 years! Because of my inability to see such tiny detail I switched to 1:200 to get a more substantial rendering. This way I can stand back and see my planes instead of right up against the glass on my curio cabinets like a window licker!
That's really interesting. I had never thought about the idea of eyesight as a reason one might want to get to get 1:200.

For now, I get away with using drugstore reading glasses. We'll see how long that less-expensive solution lasts!

Jim
The greatest need in 1:400: Reissues of Major Passenger-Carrier 747 Classics: -100/200, -300, and SP, of NG / Aeroclassics / Big Bird Mk. 1 quality. Examples: American; United Blue-Star, Bass; TWA double globe, double stripe; Pan Am delivery; British Airways Negus, Landor; KLM delivery and 70's-80's blue top; Air France 70's-80's; Lufthansa 70's-80's; Aer Lingus delivery; Sabena 80's circle-s; Japan Air Lines 70's-80s; All Nippon 70's; and Qantas 70's-80's.
BWI-ROCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 02:19 PM   #29
Super Moderator

10 years ago I unloaded nearly a thousand 1/400 scale models, all brands for the sole reason of eyesight. Sadly, I enjoyed 20/20 vision my entire life until one Thanksgiving day the food on my plate appeared blurry and that was the start!

Now I do not own a single 400 scale model..its all 200..even the smaller regional jets are becoming a challenge too
Old 07-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #30
Collector

Definitely cheaper to go the 400 scale route in terms of per unit price and detail if one can see it, but declining eyesight with age is what did it for me to make the switch to the larger scale. It definitely comes with drawbacks of less space, cost, and in some cases detail and variety.

Russ, the one benefit of that, is you can have seconds without knowing it!
Old 07-28-2019, 11:50 AM   #31
Fazeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
The North Central CV580 is a 'tail sitter' too. Anything it stands on that is not levelled with a 'spirit level, it is difficult to get it to stand on its u/c due to insufficient nose weight
I hear you and others on these QC issues Adrian. With my NC CV580, I used a tiny dab of Hold the Foam glue when I placed the model in the North Central display. This water clean-up glue has always been handy for correcting tail sitters, securing 1:400/1:200 personnel, etc.

Steve
Virginia Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:58 AM   #32
The Truth Detector

Very innovative Steve!! I guess you won't be doing any touch and goes on the kitchen counter with that one, .
Old 07-28-2019, 12:05 PM   #33
Smug

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagT747 View Post
It’s been downhill for a while now. I believe the month AFTER the release of Gemini’s KLM CARGO 747-400F it spiraled. Especially with the new Lufthansa livery 744, the gear was absolutely atrocious. And nowadays most of their 747 releases are coming to both my local retailers brand new with some markings or something visible wrong on all of them. I’m at both my retailers hours upon them receiving it and I’m usually the first to open the first 20 boxes of a new Gemini 747 release until I even find a decent one. If you even attempt to complain to Gemini about this you get blocked so it’s a lose-lose situation since I won’t spend my money on Phoenix 747s.
I still think despite some of this stuff, I still really like these releases. Just kind of have to hope you don't get the bad egg in the bunch. And even if a Gemini 747 has all of these defects, they are still miles better than Phoenix 747s..
Mesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 01:23 PM   #34
Fazeman

Quote:
Very innovative Steve!! I guess you won't be doing any touch and goes on the kitchen counter with that one, .
I'd never return a tail sitter because they're simple to correct. And yeah, no touch and goes for these highly detailed models.

Steve
Virginia Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: