Ideas for HobbyMaster - Fuel Bowsers, Fuel trucks! - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 1.40 average.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:54 PM   #1
Collector

Default Ideas for HobbyMaster - Fuel Bowsers, Fuel trucks!

I´m pretty sure that Fuel Bowsers, Fuel trucks, Fuel tankers must be strong sellers - I wonder why HM didn´t made use of them long time ago already.

What´s your opinion?

Ladia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2020, 06:07 PM   #2
Collector

Default Re: Ideas for HobbyMaster - Fuel Bowsers, Fuel tru

Also, I´ve found absolutely amazing NASCAR painting for Hobby Master 1/72 USN Tow Tractor:

Large picture in Original file
Old 01-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #3
Senior Collector

Nice idea indeed.

Old 01-01-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladia View Post
I´m pretty sure that Fuel Bowsers, Fuel trucks, Fuel tankers must be strong sellers - I wonder why HM didn´t made use of them long time ago already.

What´s your opinion?

Great idea, saving the bother of making them.
WWII, Modern, Carriers, many options!!

Last edited by MAMC1943; 01-01-2020 at 06:15 PM.
MAMC1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #5
Master Collector

Love dioramas made with diecast planes!
Old 01-05-2020, 06:48 AM   #6
Too many models! (1500+)

Quote:
Also, I´ve found absolutely amazing NASCAR painting for Hobby Master 1/72 USN Tow Tractor:

Large picture in Original file

Wow. Shockingly inappropriate and likeLy illegal use of brand names on us military equipment.

Fuel bowsers have been tried by hm. Get your bedford refuelers for gbp 3.99 at some point. Doubt hm will ever go for these again given the large number available from herpa. Oxford, etc.
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:38 AM   #7
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post
Wow. Shockingly inappropriate and likeLy illegal use of brand names on us military equipment.

Fuel bowsers have been tried by hm. Get your bedford refuelers for gbp 3.99 at some point. Doubt hm will ever go for these again given the large number available from herpa. Oxford, etc.

Oh, FS, you´re wrong - again, wrong in many aspects, wrong in almost every sentence of yours .

Shockingly inappropriate and likeLy illegal use of brand names on us military equipment
Really? Weren't you be shockingly lazy or would be just a tiny bit more clever, maybe you would at least open the wikimedia picture in the link. Immediately you would find out that the picture is titled: NASCAR_teams-up_with_Navy .
Even without deep investigation - does it sound "likely illegal"? Hmm, I don´t think so. For me its simply very attractive design of towing tractor ... Anyway with this your comment you revealed something about yourself ...

Get your bedford refuelers for gbp 3.99 at some point.
Many thanks for information, but I won´t be getting any bedford refueler - I´m not collecting WWII. I thought its quite obvious from all my posts ....

.... large number available from herpa. Oxford, etc.
Maybe you would support your saying by giving us some references of "large number" of diecast 1/72 post-WW2 Fuel Bowsers made by Herpa, Oxford and "etc"? Maybe I missed something ....
Just hoping you weren´t seriously suggesting us to pair HO-scale and 00-scale fuel trucks with 1/72 aircraft ...

Last edited by Ladia; 01-06-2020 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
Collector

Back to the topic...

Since there isn´t any single diecast 1/72 modern fuel bowser model available on the market, I think its a good idea for HM to make few. I think it would be popular model lineup with good sales potential, maybe also among plastic kit modellers.

With towing accessories these trucks can be displayed also as aircraft towing trucks:

Moreover, HM can make additional use of the fuel trucks by modifying them into other variants such as Army Cargo Trucks, Rocket launchers, Airfield starter trucks, Command trucks, Artillery Gun Trucks, Fire trucks etc. HM can make use of once tooled cabins, chassis, wheels etc., and change just those different parts.

I think with the Fuel trucks its the same case as HM and their longtime fear of making Russian aircraft few years ago. But after the collectors have repeatedly pushed, asked and bothered HM, Russian aircraft proved to be excellent sellers and now they form important part of HM production lineup.

Anyway as from my side, from the good reasons I´ll park this idea here for now and leave further actions to fellow collectors to propose this idea to HM. Leave it to collectors who would like to have decent RuAF, USAF, RAF, NATO, PLAAF... modern era Fuel bowsers displayed alongside their aircrafts, to collectors from DAC or whichever other diecast forum, to collectors who have chances to get leastwise reply to their HM emails , hope you know what I mean .... .

Nevertheless if HM would show interest in making the Fuel bowsers, I can then check for existing 1/72 Fuel Bowsers plastic kits as a references for HM, no problem.
Old 01-06-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
Too many models! (1500+)

Quote:
Really? Weren't you be shockingly lazy or would be just a tiny bit more clever, maybe you would at least open the wikimedia picture in the link. Immediately you would find out that the picture is titled: NASCAR_teams-up_with_Navy .
yes, it's (generally speaking) illegal for us government to 'partner with' for-profit entities in a way that could be construed to show favoritism or commercial advantage. the possible publicity gained by having your brand name on a us aircraft carrier is not insignigicant - was painting the trucks open to a competitive bidding process? i'm guessing it was not. could a reasonable person interpret the painting of service vehicles in the brand names of things used on aircraft carriers (motor fluids and tools) be construed as us government endorsement of particular companies? absolutely, yes.

Quote:
Get your bedford refuelers for gbp 3.99 at some point.
Many thanks for information, but I won´t be getting any bedford refueler - I´m not collecting WWII. I thought its quite obvious from all my posts ....
ok then, keep up the dream of getting your 1/72 fuel bowsers from HM. the same HM who failed once with a fuel bowser (and a relatively known and beloved bedford qlc at that) and who barely re-runs its basic airfield support sets which seem to have sold lukewarmly at best. i'm sure it's right around the corner. your fuel bowser idea isnt quite the dumbest idea i've heard around these parts (my particular favourite laugher is somebody once suggesting that india would soon open up as a major market for diecast military airplanes), but i'm just saying that i would be absolutely shocked if HM invested in the tooling for something like what you're suggesting.
Old 01-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #10
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post

ok then, keep up the dream of getting your 1/72 fuel bowsers from HM. the same HM who failed once with a fuel bowser (and a relatively known and beloved bedford qlc at that) and who barely re-runs its basic airfield support sets which seem to have sold lukewarmly at best. i'm sure it's right around the corner. your fuel bowser idea isnt quite the dumbest idea i've heard around these parts (my particular favourite laugher is somebody once suggesting that india would soon open up as a major market for diecast military airplanes), but i'm just saying that i would be absolutely shocked if HM invested in the tooling for something like what you're suggesting.
Ok, from your attitude its more than apparent that you aren´t personally a fan of airfield fuel bowsers. Well, thanks for your opinion, HM can possibly produce 1 fuel bowser less. Not a big problem, I think.

Anyway I can agree that Bedford wasn´t the best choice for the first HM´s fuel bowser, with relatively limited sales potential to only WWII RAF collections. But note that even with such a limited sales potential complete production is sold out at retailers level (save of very few exceptions).

So lets leave the decision to HM and mainly to collectors who really want to have modern RuAF, USAF, RAF, NATO, PLAAF etc. fuel bowsers displayed in their collections.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #11
Too many models! (1500+)

Quote:
So lets leave the decision to HM and mainly to collectors who really want to have modern RuAF, USAF, RAF, NATO, PLAAF etc. fuel bowsers displayed in their collections.
in other words "i dont like your opinion, so stfu."

good luck in your fuel bowser dreams. im sure you'll get them soon. i'm sure they'll get right on it after they release the 1:32 brabazon.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
The Collector

Ladia I think your idea is very reasonable and makes sense given the popularity of Soviet aircraft in the last 2-3 years since HM started making more then just the MiG-15/21.

All those old airfield sets were sold out and rare long ago and are still in demand.

HM do in fact think there is demand for such sets as they wouldn't have produced this set recently if there wasn't any

https://www.hobbymastercollector.com/HD3005andB.html

The only question is then, is it worth investing the time and $ into this when the hobby is pretty much dead. I'm not sure the demand of a few people is enough, a lot of HM models seems to be gathering virtual dust at online stores.
Ukrainian_Falcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2020, 11:41 PM   #13
Collector

Nicely said!

So far, this thread have seen more than 400 viewers, which isn´t bad compared to similarly new themes.

Of course would be even better to join collectors from other diecast forums to see how big demand for fuel browsers really exists.
What I know for now is that from time to time there occurs modern 1/72 refueller on ebay as finished plastic kit and people are regularly paying surprisingly big money, even for not-so-good models.

Also, as already said, there are many different variants possible from the same truck basis - besides fuel trucks there can be also Cargo Trucks, Rocket launchers, Airfield starter trucks, Command trucks, Artillery Gun Trucks, Fire trucks.

Zil-157 can be used for Soviet, DDR, Vietnam, Eastern block and other air forces. Zil-157 Chinese copy, Jiefang CA-30, can be interesting for Chinese PLAAF collectors.
Zil-157 can also be modified into Katyusha launcher or even into SA-2 truck, if HM would decide to give it a go (which would be very welcomed btw. as there is no diecast SA-2 in 1/72 scale available).

Same is for Ural trucks:
Ural 4320 or Ural 375 can be without any mods released as Soviet, Russian, DDR, Vietnam, Czech, Syrian etc. fuel bowsers. Can be used for SU-24/Flanker/Mig-29s and in case of interest possibly even also as BM-21 "Grad" rocket launcher.

These Russian trucks have tons of possibilities, which is completely different situation compared to HM Bedfords. And, to release truck for different army often means just to print different licence plate and one tampo on each door.

M49 truck - basicaly a variant of already existing HM M35 model - would would come handy as Vietnam-era USAF fuel bowser.

But, as said before, whether all this is worth time and $ depends if there will be sufficient interest from the collectors to ask HM.
Old 01-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #14
Fan of the 3 fans

Ladia this is an awesome suggestion! I'd love to see fuel trucks/ bowsers from all three quadrants. Eastern block; US and European versions!
Hope HM are listening!

NG Tristars please: TAP/BWIA/RAF x3/Dragonair White/ATA Tropical/ Caledonian.
JCW MD-11s: Sabena White/ World Airways/Finnair blue tail/ Garuda old colours/City bird; Varig
Tris10&11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: