Bonnie Scotland and the Mountain of the Birds. - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:400 Scale Model Aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-12-2019, 06:18 AM   #1
15 years collecting

Default Bonnie Scotland and the Mountain of the Birds.

Back in the mid to late 90's, British Airways embarked upon a new livery concept to replace the long standing but rarther jaded Landor Associates design which had been in place since the end of 1984. UK design agency Newell & Sorrell were handed the proverbial baton and set about creating what would furtively be referred to as 'Project Utopia'. As we know, this led to numerous ethnic and world design images gracing the tails of BA aircraft for several years before an outbreak of mass jingoism led to their removal and standardisation of the Chatham Dockyard image.

Being a Scot myself, I was particularly interested in the Scottish tartan design, by artisan weaver Peter MacDonald, known in gaelic as 'Benyhone' or in English as 'Mountain of the Birds'. Many aircraft wore these colours, including BA 737's, 747's, 757's, 767's, 777's and I believe a single A320. Associate airlines operating BA franchise arrangements including Loganair, Sun Air, Brymon and British Regional, who operated such types as the Saab 340, BN Islander, Dash 8, ATP, Bae 146 and ATR-72 in Benyhome . And lest we forget that Comair of South Africa with it's Benyhome tailed 727.

I've collected most or all of the available in 1:400 tartan tails, with the excellent NG 757, G-BIKO being the latest addition.

Lockon Aviation Photography

Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !

Last edited by Big Al; 06-12-2019 at 06:24 AM.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2019, 06:27 AM   #2
15 years collecting

Default Re: Bonnie Scotland and the Mountain of the Birds.

It would be nice to see this one done...

Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Old 06-12-2019, 07:43 AM   #3
1/200 collector

A great collection of Benyhone, and a nice little diorama too. One of my favo(u)rite World Tails.
ukjohna is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2019, 08:11 AM   #4
Speedbird 9

Very interesting article on the background of the artisan weaver, really love all the traditional skills like this (I've just finished Carpentry & Joinery Level 1 and enjoyed using the classic hand tools the most) and what a superb collection of tartan tails, thanks for sharing. That Benyhone pattern is a gorgeous mix of colours.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

barison82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 08:46 AM   #5
15 years collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by barison82 View Post
Very interesting article on the background of the artisan weaver, really love all the traditional skills like this (I've just finished Carpentry & Joinery Level 1 and enjoyed using the classic hand tools the most) and what a superb collection of tartan tails, thanks for sharing. That Benyhone pattern is a gorgeous mix of colours.

Yes there are links to biographies of all of the utopia tails on that site, useful and interesting. Good luck with the joinery. In Scotland a joiner is known as a 'chippie' but then again do is a chip shop.

You'll be making your own display cabinets before you know it.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #6
Speedbird 9

Thumbs up Re: Bonnie Scotland and the Mountain of the Birds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Yes there are links to biographies of all of the utopia tails on that site, useful and interesting. Good luck with the joinery. In Scotland a joiner is known as a 'chippie' but then again do is a chip shop.

You'll be making your own display cabinets before you know it.

Thanks a lot mate It's so rewarding, can't wait for Level 2 (structural carpentry, the serious stuff - stairs, roofing etc.) Yep - the term 'chippie' works down here too! Got loads of inspiration from watching episodes of Auf Wiedersehen, Pet That's just it, when I get the space in the future (hopefully) I can set up a workshop and build all the display cabinets myself - it's a dream at the moment but hope to get there one day.

I'm gonna read up on those other tails, it's really fascinating stuff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

barison82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 09:33 AM   #7
Collector

Nice collection of tartan tails. Really like this design since I first saw it on the BA 744 before boarding it at LHR. Looked professional and attractive.
BA787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:47 AM   #8
Collector

Interesting Big Al! I love the BA World Tails! These along with my Piedmont USAir fleets are the only ones I kept and display of my once large 1:400 collection as I moved on to 1:200.
jcahea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #9
Collector

Here's a pic

Bonnie Scotland and the Mountain of the Birds.-ba-world-tails.jpg
jcahea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:56 AM   #10
15 years collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcahea View Post
Here's a pic

Attachment 319986
Great collection !
Old 06-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #11
Junior Collector

I love the World tails . J’adore l’Ecosse!!!
Air Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:28 PM   #12
Senior Collector

Quote:
It would be nice to see this one done...

Nice looking aircraft. Reg# makes me think Gary Busey.....

Harvey

Previous Arrivals: 1/200 NG Northwest Airlink CRJ-200, NG Fedex 757-200
C141*Lifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #13
15 years collecting

Quote:
Originally Posted by C141*Lifter View Post
Nice looking aircraft. Reg# makes me think Gary Busey.....

Harvey
Yeah Harvey, one of the original G-BUS* fleet once upon a time allocated to British Caledonian. I thought the G-BUSH one was quite appropriate during his presidential campaign, especially coupled with the 'Backing the Bid' motif that was applied during the London Olympic Games bid for 2012. ��

Incidentally B-Cal (pre takeover) had proposed a new livery which the A320 would have seen. Guess what...? A range of different tartan tails.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #14
1/200 collector

Quote:
Incidentally B-Cal (pre takeover) had proposed a new livery which the A320 would have seen. Guess what...? A range of different tartan tails.
Indeed. BCal The Livery that never was
ukjohna is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: