Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400 - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Custom Creations > Airport Creations

Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Adrian
  • 1 Post By barison82
  • 1 Post By barison82
  • 1 Post By barison82

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-07-2020, 11:45 PM   #1 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Lightbulb

For a long while now I have dreamt of building a 1:400 scale diaroma based on London's Heathrow Airport as it would have appeared during the period of the mid-late 1970s, to the early 1980s. Whilst the actuality of this dream is still a very long way off, I have been spending some time during the lockdown researching the various structures that make up the maintenance base at LHR, namely the former BEA & BOAC Hangars & the Technical Blocks of British Airways. Some have since been demolished, the Viscount House block being one. Airport Designs have produced some excellent card kits of some of these period landmarks, and I thought I'd have a go at complimenting these kits with designs of my own for the rest of the complex which has not yet been represented. I decided to start with the BEA Servicing Hangar, a.k.a the "Cathedral" hangar now used by British Airways. It was designed by architects Murray Ward & Partners, the structural engineers were Scott Wilson Kirkpatrick & Partners, and the steelwork contractors were Braithwaite & Co. Structural Ltd. The hangar is a very distinct landmark at Heathrow, and is an impressive latticed girder design which provides a very extensive clear floor area and considerable clear headroom of 70ft throughout the interior. It was designed to accommodate four of the then new Trident 3B aircraft or two Tridents plus two "airbus-size" aircraft, and was completed in 1972. The roof structure itself, which forms a truncated pyramid, has a total combined weight of 3,200 tons and incorporates enormous diagonal steel trusses which support two 11-ton travelling suspension cranes. The hangar originally had double-skin insulated PVC coated steel sheeting with large areas of the roof covered with translucent sheeting and vertical strips of translucent sheet in the walls and doors to maximise the use of natural light. It has since been re-clad in recent years.

Using various historical photographs and Google Earth to acquire critical information for all the 1:1 dimensions as closely as possible, I have produced a set of graphic designs for a 1:400 scale model of the hangar, replicating the exact detail as closely as possible. It is intended to produce a folding card kit from the designs, very much like those of Airport Designs, thus complimenting their range of kits. Of course I could try and apply the design to 3D printing methods in the future, taking it to the next level of detail, but for the moment I have to be content with the card kit approach. This is still a work in progress but the last 3 weeks of designing have been productive. Once all the drawing work has been completed, I will print a mock-up and test the design to see if it actually works as intended. Tweaks will be made where necessary. If successful I will go on to model Technical Block C, the Brutalist concrete structure elevated on a multi-story carpark situated at Hatton Cross.

I have represented the hangar during the Negus era. Photo records show the rebranding of the hangar took place during July 1975, with work on installing the new corporate identity signage underway on 11.7.1975. I intend to replicate the detail of the signage by printing the logos onto decal paper, applying the printed decals onto plasticard cut-outs, then applying the finished articles onto the hangar itself, lending a genuine 3D texture to the signage. I will do a version with the original "BEA" device applied, to represent that era, and possibly the later Landor & Chatham Dockyard eras.

Here are some screenshots of the work so far. Still lots of interior design detail work to do, but if successful I will consider making these available for download at some point. The only issue is that the length of the shutter housing, at scale, exceed the length of an A4 sheet, thus requiring the use of A3 card stock in order to print those sections as one entire part. I would prefer to have the single whole part but might have to spilt it into two parts to accomodate A4 size.

The final step will be to design the base/footprint for the hangar on a section of apron.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by barison82; 05-08-2020 at 12:59 AM.
barison82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2020, 04:50 AM   #2 (permalink)
aka Goonybird

Default Re: Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400

Nice one.

the infamous "cathedral"

There was a 1/400 card model of the control tower available.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:02 AM   #3 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaction View Post
Nice one.

the infamous "cathedral"

There was a 1/400 card model of the control tower available.
Thanks Aviaction. Lots of work still to do but it's been lots of fun so far. Quite tricky to do but enjoying the challenge.

Yes indeed there was - the 1955 Control Tower (architect was Frederick Gibberd, who designed all of the original Central Area buildings) and the kit is still available as a free download from the Airport Designs website. I have it already and it is still waiting to be built!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Collector

Having grown up by LHR from 1984 to 2000 I can't wait to see what you come up with. Will you eventually aim to model the terminals and runways too? I lived under the runway 23 flightpath which was always great fun to see in action.
Good luck with your project. Keep up the good work.
captainflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
17 years collecting

Great work so far, I'd love to 'hangar' some of my BA Negus fleet too. So put me down as interested as well, if you decide to make the finished article available. I've been in that very building and some of the others too, so it's extra special for me in that respect.
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Diecast Quality Inspector

I have built the earlier BEA Engineering Base hangar, I can send you all the plans in 1/400 scale for this if you decide to build it.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-dsc03583.jpg  

The missing B.707s still needed to be done in 1/400: Uganda Airlines, Air Zimbabwe (rainbow scheme), Air Niugini.

DC-8s still needed to be done in 1/400: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Surinam Airways, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63CF)

Aeroclassics Comets still missing- Dan Air (4 & 4C), United Arab Airlines/Misrair/Egyptair, Kuwait AW, Sudan AW, East African AW, Saudi Royal Flt.

Last edited by Adrian; 05-13-2020 at 07:26 PM.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 07:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
1/200 collector

Fantastic work. I too have plans to model the maintenance area, but in 1/200 and the later era. I will watch your progress with interest and envy.
ukjohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:49 AM   #8 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Thumbs up Re: Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainflynn View Post
Having grown up by LHR from 1984 to 2000 I can't wait to see what you come up with. Will you eventually aim to model the terminals and runways too? I lived under the runway 23 flightpath which was always great fun to see in action.
Good luck with your project. Keep up the good work.
Thank you, and yes I do intend to model all the original 3 terminals plus the runways too, eventually! I have collected some material on the other buildings to help make a start with those. Living under runway 23 at the time that you did would have been brilliant, lots of the classic heavies coming over!
captainflynn likes this.

Old 05-14-2020, 01:52 AM   #9 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Great work so far, I'd love to 'hangar' some of my BA Negus fleet too. So put me down as interested as well, if you decide to make the finished article available. I've been in that very building and some of the others too, so it's extra special for me in that respect.
Thanks a lot Al, and no problem, I will do. Great that you've actually been inside it - that's awesome! When I've got all the artwork done and got the mock-up built, I'll definitely make this available.

Old 05-14-2020, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
I have built the earlier BEA Engineering Base hangar, I can send you all the plans in 1/400 scale for this if you decide to build it.
Hello Adrian, crikey that looks absolutely fantastic!! Yes please, I'd be very interested in those, thank you very much indeed! Those hangars were also the next step after designing this, so that is just wonderful. I will be making this hangar available too once it is finished, and hopefully works!

Old 05-14-2020, 02:04 AM   #11 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukjohna View Post
Fantastic work. I too have plans to model the maintenance area, but in 1/200 and the later era. I will watch your progress with interest and envy.
Thank you very much, I will continue to work hard on this. I've tried to get it as close to the real thing as I possibly can. Wow, sounds great. This would be a brilliant project for the bigger scale. Good luck with that!

Old 05-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
aka Goonybird

Two of my many books on London Airport are the original book containing most of the plans for the new Central Terminal and Control Tower. The other for the Proposed Airport Plan and Runway Layouts

My intention is to build the control tower in Lego

Last edited by Aviaction; 05-14-2020 at 04:09 PM.
Aviaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Gee what fantastic original documentation! Thank you for sharing Aviaction. Those books look incredibly useful. A Lego model of the Control Tower would be a great build!

Old 05-14-2020, 09:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Lightbulb Re: Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400

The shutters and rear elevation have been done.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:38 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by barison82 View Post

It says broken images on my phone and ? on he laptop.

Steinar
Eirikur Raudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:15 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Collector

Quote:

Nothing to see..
Old 05-15-2020, 03:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaction View Post
Two of my many books on London Airport are the original book containing most of the plans for the new Central Terminal and Control Tower. The other for the Proposed Airport Plan and Runway Layouts

My intention is to build the control tower in Lego

Actually I am building this tower at the moment out of paper.. Love the old an big block of buildings around it..
Old 05-16-2020, 01:40 AM   #18 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

I have made some detail modifications, I felt that the window strips looked too thin, so corrected those and added some extra details. I'm happier with the proportions now. Shutters modified too.

Last edited by barison82; 05-16-2020 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 01:42 AM   #19 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirikur Raudi View Post
It says broken images on my phone and ? on he laptop.

Steinar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETIHAD View Post
Nothing to see..
Apologies - should be all fixed now? I uploaded again, with the updates to the work done so far.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:50 AM   #20 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETIHAD View Post
Actually I am building this tower at the moment out of paper.. Love the old an big block of buildings around it..
Please share with us once you're done! Although his iconic control tower sadly no longer exists, there are other surviving examples of Sir Frederick Gibberd's work. He designed Britain's very first tower block, "The Lawn", built in 1950 and located in Harlow. It comprises an irregular trapezoid design, and should look very familiar as the design for the 1955 Control Tower came off the same drawings.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dgeezer/4697092992
ETIHAD likes this.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:48 AM   #21 (permalink)
Senior Collector

Quote:
I have made some detail modifications, I felt that the window strips looked too thin, so corrected those and added some extra details. I'm happier with the proportions now. Shutters modified too.

Sorry sir but still can't see anything on my laptop..
Old 05-16-2020, 07:15 AM   #22 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Well this is frustrating! I’ve gone over those URL links several times, nothing different to what I’ve done before. It must be something with Google. I usually direct-link to Google Photos without any problems, these did work at the time of posting but appear to have gone again. I’m going to have to figure this one out.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Ok I’m trying again, this time uploading pics direct from iphone on the app. Hopefully this should finally work!
Attached Thumbnails
Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-ceee03a4-12b7-401d-9062-77de1d1bccc9_1589667091153.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-fde142bd-477b-4121-8c90-c54d25c9c79f_1589667110097.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-3cae3b6a-d376-4a37-8f78-ba2834626c10_1589667128044.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-163af072-63ed-4a3f-bbaa-4f8dc6978703_1589667144206.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-4c08a49a-97b5-411b-a140-0004f2dcb29c_1589667158614.jpg  

Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-6d870a9e-4a19-45e5-b227-6bdfd036d163_1589667177324.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-419b63c4-0a79-4531-a89f-84388b8a0bd3_1589667192069.jpg  
captainflynn likes this.

Last edited by barison82; 05-16-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 11:44 AM   #24 (permalink)
Junior Collector

Quote:
Thank you, and yes I do intend to model all the original 3 terminals plus the runways too, eventually! I have collected some material on the other buildings to help make a start with those. Living under runway 23 at the time that you did would have been brilliant, lots of the classic heavies coming over!

It was a very good time! Everything from small BAe ATP's and bizjets right up to B747's and the concorde. Runway 23 gave them a nice challenge with that strong and gusty wind.

Looks like you're making amazing progress.
captainflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 07:14 AM   #25 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainflynn View Post
It was a very good time! Everything from small BAe ATP's and bizjets right up to B747's and the concorde. Runway 23 gave them a nice challenge with that strong and gusty wind.

Looks like you're making amazing progress.
How things have changed. Concorde was always an event, that must have been loud! I miss the classic 747’s especially, I have such fond memories of the BA -136’s flying over with the distinct whistle of their P&W engines.

I have just done a lot more work on the hangar, a lot of it quite complex, and have added further detail. Posting more pics below 👍

Old 05-20-2020, 07:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
Speedbird 9

More progress; I re-worked the shutter housing and it is more accurate in detail, and completed the rear elevation, which was very complex to say the least. Thanks to a batch of photographs taken in 1970-1972, I was able to fill in a few missing pieces. The photos document the construction of the hangar in detail, and were taken by the principle contractor, Laing. The new hangar was adjoined to the No.1 hangar of the older BEA hangar block behind, allowing access between the hangars. A workshop/office block was also built alongside and occupied part of the internal hangar floor space, and part of this building projected outside, adjoining a further block of workshops behind. Thanks to the information in these photographs, I was able to make sense of it all, and produce a realistic representation.

Thanks to Adrian, who very kindly gave me the 1:400 kit of the earlier 1950s BEA hangars, I was able to reference the design work and marry up the 2 hangars blocks, which are in scale with each other, thus allowing a very realistic representation on a diorama. The next step is to work on the workshop/office block itself, as another kit. Thankfully, I have very detailed pictures of this building, so will be able to detail this fairly accurately.

The rear elevation is built onto the workshop and adjoining hangar, so I have detailed this in the model, allowing the two kits to be joined together, as per the 1:1. However, I have also made an alternative second version of the rear panel, which is fully enclosed, so that a free standing, self-contained model of the hangar may also be made.

More updates to follow!
Attached Thumbnails
Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-dc24616c-91e3-430d-bd38-ce9ce4d65da8_1589975304310.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-c7384403-de5d-4620-a7ca-1ea22ba17b15_1589975351174.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-1836c51c-f2dd-4396-88a6-259371a4c054_1589975366128.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-93e5a3d9-4cd0-4cb2-aa47-7f804af9ef29_1589975385618.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-0fe12423-c8a3-4e39-979d-b41090790f59_1589975405470.jpg  

Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-9d8688b1-c97a-463e-87b0-d272b5db354b_1589975450489.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-52854a2e-e184-494e-bb1e-576eac1bb328_1589975522112.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-7a2eade2-773a-450c-b5e6-fd2a6c7f7b66_1589975548721.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-7c8fb3ab-b4ba-467a-ad2f-3fb31f2a8147_1589975606368.jpg   Modelling a BEA/BA Servicing Hangar in 1:400-5cfb1be3-1805-43cb-8388-1952ffd927e3_1589975621466.jpg  

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: