Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al... - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:200 Scale Model Aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:11 PM   #1
Junior Collector

Default Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...

...there was "custom" Aero Mini. I stumbled on this folder of pics - a real blast from the past. 2003-04-ish.
Attached Thumbnails
Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-aero-continente-727.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-royal-brunei-737.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-japan-air-lines-747.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-air-zaire-dc-8-61.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-braniff-707-el-dorado.jpg  

Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-air-florida-727-red.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-air-california-yellow-nose.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-air-tanzania-737.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-thai-international-747.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-ecuatoriana-707-birds.jpg  

Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-east-african-vc-10.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-cruzeiro-727.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-wein-air-alaska-737.jpg  
FlyNavyBDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2019, 10:06 PM   #2
Master Collector

Default Re: Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...

is there a 737-100 somewhere there?
wildpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:09 PM   #3
Junior Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpig View Post
is there a 737-100 somewhere there?

These AM 737s were -100/200 versions. Do not remember specifically which of these 737 liveries were 100s or 200s.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:46 PM   #4
Master Collector

Talk about a blast from the past! When I was a little kid in the early ‘70s, I collected AeroMinis.

Kevin
NYCAAer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 01:46 AM   #5
Complete Wacko!

Very nice to see, is it 1:200?
Old 09-06-2019, 10:32 AM   #6
Collector

Nice pics and planes. Love the Air Zaire DC-8! Are/Were these in your collection? I had a Braniff El Dorado 707 with a little more detail than the one shown done by a custom maker in Michigan.

Aero Mini 747s are 1:290th scale and all other airliners are 1:239th. An Airomini line of planes was recently released, but not much news out there regarding them!
jcahea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 05:14 PM   #7
Junior Collector

So, I have been on DAC previously and between 2003 and 2010 I did over 1000 customs - mostly Aero Mini, Airomini, Corgi, Dinky. Some of you probably remember me. I got so sick of doing custom planes I retired. Plus, by then, Aeroclassics, et al were producing quality I cannot match. I only do planes for me and my dad now. I do only military for me. Most of the ones I did are in other collections and I see them for sale on ebay from time to time. My dad has about 100 1/200 custom airliners including these original custom Airomini's (with an i, one word). jcahea can tell you more about the origins of the original Airomini's The Airomini's are one piece and heavy unlike the Aero Mini's which have many pieces. Here are some original Airomini customs and all are in my dad's collection. He also has an Airomini American 707 Cargo and one L-1011 that has not been customized.
Attached Thumbnails
Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-delta-cv-880-airomini.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-delta-dc-10-widget-airomini.jpg   Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-eastern-300.jpg  
Old 09-07-2019, 10:36 AM   #8
Collector

Thanks for posting pics and background on your customs. Very nice work! Despite some of the detail on the newer models by some manufacturers, these older models are still cherished by some collectors.

As some on here know I was able to acquire many rare Aero Mini's from Dr. Metchick back in 2015 along with company photos and documents including his incorporation papers. After enjoying everything I acquired, I started selling duplicates about a year and a half ago. Also, due to my declining health I wanted to place the core of my acquisition where they would be appreciated and kept together. Another Die-hard Aero Mini collector stepped up and he is carrying on the torch. He also acquired many of my Tekno DC-7's and Caravelles. I did maintain a few more common Aero Mini's, but did not want to leave it to my wife and kids to unload this stuff where it would end up at a yard sale for pennies on the dollar or where they would not get what they were really worth. The collector who got them bought Jacques customs from Paris as well!
Old 09-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #9
Junior Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcahea View Post
Thanks for posting pics and background on your customs. Very nice work! Despite some of the detail on the newer models by some manufacturers, these older models are still cherished by some collectors.

As some on here know I was able to acquire many rare Aero Mini's from Dr. Metchick back in 2015 along with company photos and documents including his incorporation papers. After enjoying everything I acquired, I started selling duplicates about a year and a half ago. Also, due to my declining health I wanted to place the core of my acquisition where they would be appreciated and kept together. Another Die-hard Aero Mini collector stepped up and he is carrying on the torch. He also acquired many of my Tekno DC-7's and Caravelles. I did maintain a few more common Aero Mini's, but did not want to leave it to my wife and kids to unload this stuff where it would end up at a yard sale for pennies on the dollar or where they would not get what they were really worth. The collector who got them bought Jacques customs from Paris as well!

You probably had one of the premier AM collections. I can think of one other collection that was many hundreds of customs and original AM.

My wife ordered me to put prices in a spreadsheet on all my airplanes, cars and childhood toys in case I die. I told her to put them on ebay starting at $1 each and the market would sort it out. I did that with my original Aero Mini customs when I first started. One stretched 727 got $330 and three various AM Eastern 727's sold for over $800. I agree, yard sales and dealers would get you very little. The AM Braniff 707 El Dorado that was on ebay several months back - that was you, right? Pretty sure I did that aircraft. I sent you a note through ebay at the time.

I also noticed some AM customs on ebay recently I was sure I did but they had filled in the cockpit windows and added cockpit windscreen decals. Was that you?

Last edited by FlyNavyBDA; 09-07-2019 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 10:08 AM   #10
Collector

Thanks you. Yes it was complete with different variations of the same model. I had some rare one off's by Metchick and had samples of the E-4 where they were trying to get the blue correct, a Lufthansa 747 that he used for the photo shoot in one of his fold out posters, and 2 versions of Kiesel samples of the 747. This was the company in Batavia NY that did the 747 casting when Metchick moved production back to the US. Also had a one off Pan Am 747 with chrome under carriage and wings Metchick had done. Some of those brought $4k each! I still communicate with Metchick every so often and he is well. I enjoyed getting together with him one afternoon back in 2015 in New Mexico.

No those were Dan Asher's customs on Ebay a few months back. I sent the guy who bought my collection Dan's way and from what I understand he dropped some serious $ with Dan. Dan does a nice job on his customs. He launched Airomini recently and I have seen a few pics. They look really nice and anyone wanting his offering can contact him directly.

I know you mentioned you only do some customs for yourself or your Dad, but if every interested in doing a couple for some side $, please PM me. I had one guy lined up to do a few, but he got too busy. I have the donors and decal sets if your up for it?

Great idea re the spreadsheet and Ebay route. I have seen a few selling their loved ones collections at shows in the past getting pennies on the dollar or having no clue and pricing ones really low that should be priced higher and vice versa.

Yes, you were the one that did my Braniff 707. That was beautiful and years later brought around $440 if I remember correctly when I sold it on Ebay.
Old 09-10-2019, 01:06 AM   #11
Rabid Collector

This thread brought back memories! My first ever attempt to customize a model was on an Aero Mini waaay back. The photo I attached with this post is that model. I started to paint it and had no idea what to do with it afterwards. No idea where to get the decal for a Pan Am billboard livery in this scale. I was about 14 or 15 then. No internet, nada, zilch. I knew this particular model was somewhere and after searching in different storage boxes, I found it and memories came flooding back. I think I will leave it this way.
Attached Thumbnails
Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...-2.jpg  
DouglasDC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 10:02 AM   #12
Collector

Yeah, you should keep it and display it! Sometimes these are the best ones to keep you inspired and to recall the time you got bitten by the aviation bug!
Old 09-10-2019, 06:15 PM   #13
Design with Elegance.

Thumbs up Re: Before there was Gemini, Inflight, et al...

I agree! Hold onto it and give it a special spot in your display that is a befitting a pleasant reminder.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Élégance en vol . . . Airfrance-style!

Last edited by Upkeep; 09-10-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: sp
Upkeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: