Is cooking grease a threat to model collections? - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Other Scales & Antique Models

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-01-2019, 02:02 AM   #1
Master Collector

Default Is cooking grease a threat to model collections?

So my apt is so f****** small that I have nowhere to put my models shelf except in the area shown in the photo. Problem is that directly to the right is the kitchen. I always tell the boss "please keep window fan on and kitchen entrance curtain closed". Today she was frying again andd I smelld it all over the apt as the wind always blows in from the backyard facing windows. I checked models and didnt notice much but as I wiped them with a water soaked eyeglass cloth I noticed a mild water repulsion on the cutaway model plexi. Is this just the properties of dust not being wiped a long time or could it be grease? The models look clean. Grease would be noticeable. Please anyone provide opinions!
Attached Thumbnails
Is cooking grease a threat to model collections?-20190901_014824_1567317646055.jpg  
stratoliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #2
KLM 1:200 collector

Default Re: Is cooking grease a threat to model collection

Yes, any form of dirt would be I think. I can imagine some of that grease will eventually lands on those models. Too much wiping can't be good for the models either.

Is it an idea to put a fan in the pictured room itself, facing the kitchen or ventilate the room itself to the outside?
Maarlandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 09:38 AM   #3
Enjoy The Sky

That’s an interesting question. I wouldn’t be surprised if over a long period there could be an accumulation of many different tiny droplets of a few different components. The water resistance on the plexi may be residual polish of some kind. Trouble is, with the models being in such close proximity to the kitchen, a simple curtain won’t totally stop the migration of almost microscopic droplets, neither would a solid door either, unless it was hermetically sealed with a spacecraft type of airlock! I’m lucky I guess in that my models are contained within two rooms on the second floor of my home, but even so, odours still make it into my ‘play rooms’, so I guess those damn droplets make it into the rooms too. Covering the models with thin cotton sheets might help. In the 46 years of my collecting these things, when needed I’ve always sparingly used Turtle Wax auto polish on a very soft cloth, which I guess puts a protective coat on the model, it’s
never let me down yet. This is just my own opinion on your question, nothing more. Other members here will, I’m sure, have more opinions and possible solutions.

Neil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Behold! The Wings of Horus" Miṣr liṭ-Ṭayarān

Last edited by MSR777; 09-01-2019 at 09:40 AM.
MSR777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-2019, 09:42 AM   #4
Collector

Yes, grease from cooking disperses throughout living spaces as do candles when one burns them that will find its way to anything exposed. Could change surface appearance, especially interacting with plastics! To protect them get a thin plastic painting drop cloth that you can get at a hardware, home improvement, or paint retailer or on-line. Cover them and when you want to enjoy them just remove the covering!
jcahea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 12:59 PM   #5
Master Collector

Thank you all for the feedback. So i guess the threat is real! I do have kitchen fan but as i am located in the back of the apt complex, all my windows are only facing the walls to the backyard(which the kitchen faces), meaning one way air flow and that is usually into the house. I think i willl give the models one mild wipe then pack them up. Its hopeless trying to convince the boss to try her best to decrease the grease. She kind of prefers that i pack them away and increase the space in the apt. Ughhh loose loose situation!
stratoliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Collector

As mentioned earlier I would use Turtle wax and in your case use a good cleaning wax first. Clear poly draped over the model is another viable alternative.
boeing767300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #7
Enjoy The Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeing767300 View Post
Clear poly draped over the model is another viable alternative.
That could help.

Neil.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Behold! The Wings of Horus" Miṣr liṭ-Ṭayarān
MSR777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: