Basic question about die cast - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:400 Scale Model Aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:19 PM   #1
Junior Collector

Default Basic question about die cast

I have a lot of plastic models and a handful of diecast. One of the plastic models looks yellowish which I assume is UV fading from the sun. While I understand this can be an issue with white models, do the same concerns exist with white diecast models?

I have a handful of Gemini and Herpa 400 models with some white on them and I generally keep them out of direct sunlight. But in one of my rooms, I have skylights and the models could see an hour of direct sun a day. Can that cause the yellowish ting on diecast painted white as well?
Mirrodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2020, 03:01 AM   #2
Master Collector

Default Re: Basic question about die cast

Not sure of yellowing, but I've heard that over time they can fade.
Old 01-14-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
Diecast Quality Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrodie View Post
I have a lot of plastic models and a handful of diecast. One of the plastic models looks yellowish which I assume is UV fading from the sun. While I understand this can be an issue with white models, do the same concerns exist with white diecast models?

I have a handful of Gemini and Herpa 400 models with some white on them and I generally keep them out of direct sunlight. But in one of my rooms, I have skylights and the models could see an hour of direct sun a day. Can that cause the yellowish ting on diecast painted white as well?
The reason plastic models turn cream/yellow is because plastic is an oil-based product which is naturally brown. This also occurs with enamel paints which are oil based. If you paint a model, it is important to use Acrylic paints which to do not discolour. Likewise diecast models are painted with Acrylic paints so should not discolour. However I recommend keeping ALL models out of direct sunlight as in time any printing can fade with prolonged exposure.

The missing B.707s still needed to be done in 1/400: Ethiopian, Uganda Airlines, Air Zimbabwe (rainbow scheme), Kenya Airways, Air Niugini.

DC-8s still needed to be done in 1/400: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Surinam Airways, Air Spain

Aeroclassics Comets still missing- Dan Air (4 & 4C), United Arab Airlines/Misrair/Egyptair, Kuwait AW, Sudan AW, East African AW, Saudi Royal Flt.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2020, 07:54 AM   #4
I Love Beagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrodie View Post

The reason plastic models turn cream/yellow is because plastic is an oil-based product which is naturally brown. This also occurs with enamel paints which are oil based. If you paint a model, it is important to use Acrylic paints which to do not discolour. Likewise diecast models are painted with Acrylic paints so should not discolour. However I recommend keeping ALL models out of direct sunlight as in time any printing can fade with prolonged exposure.
Excellent explanation. I did not know about plastic being naturally brown. Thanks for the info.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DC-10_Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 08:07 AM   #5
Senior Collector

I had a Gemini AN124 change color on me; the white turned off-white/yellowish in a few years with almost no light exposure, but all my others look the same including other white Geminis. Bad batch of paint on that model I guess.
ttakata73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:43 AM   #6
Diecast Quality Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC-10_Tony View Post
Excellent explanation. I did not know about plastic being naturally brown. Thanks for the info.
Plastics are derived from natural, organic materials such as cellulose, coal, natural gas, salt and, of course, crude oil. Crude oil is a complex mixture of thousands of compounds and needs to be processed before it can be used.It is then mixed with whatever colour the end user requires. Most coloured plastic retains that colour, but 'white' will slowly turn cream or yellow in time. Hence why I never buy those cheap plastic airliner models on stands made of plastic, as I know the white will turn cream in time. I used to build airliner model kits using Humbrol enamel paints, but never knew why the white became discoloured until I started using Tamiya Acrylic paints which stay vibrant throughout.

The missing B.707s still needed to be done in 1/400: Ethiopian, Uganda Airlines, Air Zimbabwe (rainbow scheme), Kenya Airways, Air Niugini.

DC-8s still needed to be done in 1/400: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Surinam Airways, Air Spain

Aeroclassics Comets still missing- Dan Air (4 & 4C), United Arab Airlines/Misrair/Egyptair, Kuwait AW, Sudan AW, East African AW, Saudi Royal Flt.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 10:05 PM   #7
Junior Collector

wow, I learned a lot! Thank you!
Mirrodie is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: