Die cast B-17 question - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:19 AM   #1
MSP Spotter

Default Die cast B-17 question

I'm looking for larger scale (1/72 range) diecast B-17 models and not 'toy' quality but more like gemini jets quality for airliner quality
N708DN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2019, 04:36 AM   #2
Aerospace collector

Default Re: Die cast B-17 question

I only know Corgi and AF1 (1/72) and Franklin Mint/Collection Armour (1/48).
1. Ultimate Soldier Me-262B (Nightfighter, B Version !) scale 1:18.
2. Elite Force F-18 Hornet (Golden Dragon) scale 1:18.
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:07 AM   #3
Too many models! (1500+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by N708DN View Post
I'm looking for larger scale (1/72 range) diecast B-17 models and not 'toy' quality but more like gemini jets quality for airliner quality
For B-17, your choices aren't great. As Leonardo said:

Corgi in 1/72
Air Force 1 in 1/72
Franklin Mint in 1/48

The Franklin mints are now hard to find but you can probably find them on ebay. Prices vary. They are "ok" but have issues like poor cowl shape that looks pretty terrible.

Corgi are probably the best of the lot, but it is an old mould with a lot of issues. The quality of individual releases varies HUGELY. The ones you find on ebay relatively cheaply are usually the worse ones. Some, like 9-0-9 and Bit-of-Lace sell for big money ($300-400++)

AF1 are more easily findable, but the quality is below that of corgi. I wouldn't touch them.

I've been saying for years that Hobbymaster should do a B17. But, they've countered with the lame excuse that their mould making machines cannot handle the size. Which, I think is BS. If they wanted to, they would have solved this by now. It'd be a popular mould that they could make loads of over time.
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-06-2019, 06:41 AM   #4
Master Collector

Quote:
AF1 is great value for money. Many would disagree with me.

But,..if you are referring to Gemini quality,...then Corgi is the way to go.

Corgi have released around 17 B17s. Is there a specific theatre you are looking at? They have released 8th Air Force, Coastal Command (the only RAF B17), Pacific and 15th Air Force (Italy).

The good ones are expensive. As the FS has indicated the Corgi 909 is very expensive,...although the AF1 version is much cheaper.

Whats your budget and what sort of B17 are you after?
Old 11-07-2019, 12:53 PM   #5
Too many models! (1500+)

i suggest if you can afford it you buy a b17 from this guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWif...xGWUxlL_dLg94k
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:21 PM   #6
Insane Collector

This is the latest B-17 from Corgi, on the Flying Mule website -

https://www.flyingmule.com/products/CG-AA33318
AirCal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
Insane Collector

Don't know if mentioned.....but a holiday season catalog came recently and shows AF1 B-17 offerings....

BB

Die cast B-17 question-image.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blues Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #8
Design with Elegance.

Thumbs up Re: Die cast B-17 question

Quote:
Pity GeminiAces (the military version of GJ) couldn't do one. Imagine, if you will, what a B-17 from them could look like, especially if they put the same finesse into it that they put into their P-51Bs?

I'd be prepared to pay a lot of money I don't have, for the right B-17F.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

…lťgance en vol . . . Airfrance-style!

Last edited by Upkeep; 11-07-2019 at 04:32 PM. Reason: sp
Upkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:46 AM   #9
Insane Collector

Website that sent me the hard copy catalog is http://militaryissue.com a hodgepodge of stuff including diecast...

BB

Die cast B-17 question-image.jpg

Blues Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 02:43 PM   #10
Junior Collector

I'm also looking at adding a 1/72 B-17 to my collection. I don't want to hijack the original post so please make your replies helpful to both of us.

Everybody has opinions but when someone asks about available options and there are only two companies, it doesn't help much if you don't say why you reject one of the possibilities. I own diecast from 18 different companies at this point and they all have pluses and minuses. I really like my Corgi and Hobby Master diecast, but I also enjoy the rest of my collection (700+), even from the companies that have sold subscription series (DeAgostini, Atlas, Del Prado).

So, what I would like to know is from your actual experience - not comments from friends or such - what did you like and not like about the Air Force 1 B-17G Bit O' Lace. Same rules for Corgi B-17G Flak Eater.

If you need to compare to similar sized references, I have the Corgi B-24J's Dragon and His Tail and Shack Bunny, the AF1 P-61B Cooper's Snooper, the FOV B-25's 85245 and 85045, and the FOV B-26 85046.
Mitanirc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
Complete Wacko!

i just got the CORGI B-17 RAF COASTAL COMMAND. but mainly because I collect mostly british subjects. and was only £80 + post. I am not an expert. I just 'buy what I like and like what I buy'!

and if you are looking for a corgi 'bit of lace' the last 2 on ebay went for just £106.00 EACH! in last few days. one before that £133. loads of heavies going sub £80!!!!!

Last edited by robertjon5; 11-12-2019 at 03:23 PM.
robertjon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #12
Insane Collector

I only have Hell's Angels and the second Memphis Belle. As discussed the gaps are a little large around the body, but otherwise I am very happy with both.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:26 PM   #13
Complete Wacko!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirCal View Post
I only have Hell's Angels and the second Memphis Belle. As discussed the gaps are a little large around the body, but otherwise I am very happy with both.
well it has been said a gazillion times. there is NO such thing as THEE perfect model.
Old 11-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #14
Junior Collector

I went back and read a post from 2018 and got a lot of information about the Corgi and the AF 1 B-17s. Thanks to all.
Old Yesterday, 02:44 AM   #15
Junior Collector

Still haven't purchased my B-17 yet. Had to wait because I found some deals on Ebay that ate up the current funding. Corgi - 2 Lancasters, 1 Sunderland, 1 Catalina, and 1 Stirling plus Falcon Diecast - F11F and F9F both Blue Angels.

But back to the B-17s I am wavering between one Corgi or a pair of AF1 since the price would be close to the same.
Old Yesterday, 04:54 PM   #16
aircraft enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitanirc3 View Post

Still haven't purchased my B-17 yet. Had to wait because I found some deals on Ebay that ate up the current funding. Corgi - 2 Lancasters, 1 Sunderland, 1 Catalina, and 1 Stirling plus Falcon Diecast - F11F and F9F both Blue Angels.

But back to the B-17s I am wavering between one Corgi or a pair of AF1 since the price would be close to the same.

'

"If" I were in your position, I'd be inclined to buy ONE half decent Corgi B.17....

...... rather than 'waste money' on the mediocre AF.1 offerings.

Good luck, don't say you weren't warned
Hornchurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM   #17
Insane Collector

I second the above. From what I have seen of the AF1 models, they are not terrible, but a good word is "mediocre".
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #18
Diecast Quality Inspector

All the Corgi B-17s are superb! I have Corgi's 1/72 B-17G " A Bit O Lace" mint/boxed and may be persuaded to part with it, so am open to offers? However if you live outside the UK, be aware these models are BIG & HEAVY, so shipping might be expensive. I will be at the Heathrow Enthusiasts Fair next Sunday and can bring it along for any UK buyers to save postage.

The missing B.707s still needed to be done in 1/400: Ethiopian, Uganda Airlines, Air Zimbabwe (rainbow scheme), Kenya Airways, Air Niugini.

DC-8s still needed to be done in 1/400: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Surinam Airways, Air Spain

Aeroclassics Comets still missing- Dan Air (4 & 4C), United Arab Airlines/Misrair/Egyptair, Kuwait AW, Sudan AW, East African AW, Saudi Royal Flt.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #19
Master Collector

Some Pooch B17s are a bit...…..

As I said before,...which model are you after and how much are you prepared to spend.

AF1 909, some would argue is more accurate than the Pooch effort, scheme wise. You can easily flatten the cowling flaps on the AF1 B17. The nose section looks off. But Corgi B17s are more gappy.

But you get what you pays for.

It depends on the scheme and how much money you want to spend.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: