HA5008 EA-6B Prowler VMAQ-2 Marines - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 1.67 average.
Old 10-16-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Collector

Default HA5008 EA-6B Prowler VMAQ-2 Marines

Hey guys,

isn´t the color of the tail supposed to be black? Just black?

On artwork the tail looks dark blue, like the USAF roundel / MARINES lettering:

Ladia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
Insane Collector

Default Re: HA5008 EA-6B Prowler VMAQ-2 Marines

HA5008 EA-6B Prowler VMAQ-2 Marines-image.jpg

bb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Blues Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:16 PM   #3
Insane Collector

bb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 10-22-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
Collector

Had some time to check about the coloring on the tail of HA5008 and other things to improve on HM artwork.
I post it now, better sooner than late, HM can sometimes release model w/o Pre-pro photos.

1. Tail color is black - not dark blue

On HM artwork, the tail color appears to be colored in dark blue (about the same color that is on USAF insignia on artwork fuselage).

But the correct color of vertical stabilizer + its dorsal spine extension + Bunny logo on the rudder is BLACK.
Also, VMAQ-2 and MARINES letterings on the fuselage should be black, not dark blue.

Photo proofs:

Unique photo of exact 000 Commander´s Officer 160432 Prowler from Dennis R. Jenkins´ Aerofax Minigraph 7 book. Note also much more stencils on the vertical tail compared to HM artwork:

https://cdn10.picryl.com/photo/1982/...2db0f-1600.jpg

https://gramho.com/media/1995373358606227920

Other proofs:

Micro Scale Decals paint scheme EA-6B's Marines VMAQ-2

Hobby Master HA1956 RF-4B Playboys

Confusion:
There may be some confusion as The Great Hasegawa suggests FS15050 blue color on the tail on their High Visibility Prowler 00538 plastic kit - and this kit is probably data source for Hobby Master model:

..... but this must be mistake or typo (correct me if you can), because:

FS15050 Blue:

... as I say - evidently wrong.

Also, here´s the official Hasegawa photo. Without any ado ... the tail just looks ... black:

So please Hobby Master, do the tail color in black!

And also should be mentioned:

- black color around the canopy area is FLAT
- black color on vertical stabilizer + its dorsal spine extension + Bunny logo is GLOSS

2. Trimming around the canopies

There is one very prominent detail that is missing on HM artwork: the yellowish trim around the canopies. This trim is one of the Prowler´s essential features, clearly visible on every photo (see official Hasegawa image above).

Same trim HM already makes on their Thuds:
https://www.hobbymastercollector.com...HA2510-5FP.jpg

or Voodoos:
https://www.hobbymastercollector.com/files/HA3713-2.JPG

http://www.gonavy.jp/navy/p-navy/bbs...3-19790622.jpg

Canopy trim color:

Without this trimming, the Prowlers look boring / unfinished / shoddy:

3. Playboy Bunnies on drop tank fins

Note the small Playboy Bunnies on drop tank fins!

4. Bunny has red bow tie and red eyes , not white

Again Hasegawa and thus HM artwork is wrong here: 160432 "000" Bunny on the rudders do have correct red bordering around, but also should have red bow tie and red eyes! Not white.
Its roughly the same logo as on HA1956 RF-4B Playboys.

See photo above, or this one: http://www.seaforces.org/usmcair/VMA...Jesters-51.jpg

Closeup:

Summary:

- Gloss black tail + spine extension + bunny logo rectangle
- Yellowish trimming around the canopies
- Flat black canopy area
- Black VMAQ-2 and MARINES letterings
- Bunny logos on drop tank fins
- Red eyes and red bow tie on Bunny
- More stencils on the vertical tail

Can imagine that some of mentioned details would need to join forces and send some more emails from collectors who care to:

[email protected]
or
[email protected]

Last edited by Ladia; 10-23-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:11 PM   #5
Junior Collector

Never use decals as a reference.

They all contain errors.
Tker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 04:49 PM   #6
Collector

Yes, exactly same thing I was thinking when I realized that Hobby Master is probably using Hasegawa 00538 kit as the reference for HA5008. Unfortunately HM is using decals / plastic kit as the reference very often - honestly I´m not sure if HM makes any model without existing decals.

Similar case was with Cherry Girl tampo print on HA2515 Thud. Here also HM listened and corrected original wrong decal version.

Last edited by Ladia; 10-23-2019 at 07:45 AM.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #7
Junior Collector

Thanks for pointing those mistakes out. Now only if HM will listen. Let's see how the prepros turn out.
sigmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 07:28 AM   #8
Collector

The more emails will HM receive, the better chances are.
Old 10-24-2019, 03:16 AM   #9
Too many models! (1500+)

Not sure if this has any relevance, but the high-viz Phantoms of VMFA 531 "Grey Ghosts" largely, but not entirely, had black tails. The ones that didn't tended to have dark blue tails. Profile illustrations in various books and websites have sometimes gotten it wrong or have just used a very dark blue indeterminate colour not unlike that which we see from the Prowler.

FWIF, I have a lovely HM phantom Code3'd into a VMFA 531 bird. This livery should be high on HM's or Air Commander's to-do list. I'll try to post some photos later.
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 11:05 AM   #10
Too many models! (1500+)

pre-pro pics are out. that was fast!

tail is black.

model otherwise looks as expected.

seems a little bit underdetailed in the canopy area, but overall in the metal should be very nice.
Old 10-24-2019, 09:19 PM   #11
Collector

Pre-pro:

Some mistakes are fixed, but some are still to be addressed and some are even "newly added":

Bunny Logo on the tail:
- Most striking: logo is wrongly positioned. Black square should be placed horizontally with the ground.
- Bunny should have red bow tie and red eyes - definitely not white.

Refuelling probe:
Weird thing happened: all previous HM Prowlers have refuelling probe correctly tilted to the right (to the left on the foto), but this Prowler has refuelling probe centered, which is obviously wrong:

As a typical feature of all Prowlers, also this HA5008 should have refuelling probe tilted:

https://cdn10.picryl.com/photo/1988/...7ffa1-1600.jpg

https://cdn.cnn.com/cnnnext/dam/asse...r-full-169.jpg

https://www.globalaviationresource.c...-Jan-2006j.jpg

Pre-pro refuelling probe also leans down from the side view, maybe its just one-off issue of pre-pro model and hopefully this will be addresed on final product.

Yellow trim on the wings / horizontal stabs leading edges is way too bright. (see HM front photo above)
Current loud, bright and too rich sunny yellow needs to be substantially toned down, more of a creamy shade:

Black antiglare panel outline in canopy front / radome area do not match, creating visible step:

(previous HA5003 Prowler is perfect in this point - https://www.hobbymastercollector.com/files/HA5003-1.JPG)

Trimming around the canopies
I bet that the yellowish trimming around the canopies would do magic, making this model looking miles nicer, creating incredible wow effect and really much improving the look of this Prowler:

If HM Thunderchiefs and Voodos are worth of this HM effort, why not this unique One-of-a-kind Prowler?
I´d like to believe that active efforts, emails and requests from collectors to Hobby Master could make it happen.

Last edited by Ladia; 10-24-2019 at 09:49 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:54 AM   #12
Insane Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladia View Post

3. Playboy Bunnies on drop tank fins

.....Note the small Playboy Bunnies on drop tank fins!....

Summary:

......- Bunny logos on drop tank fins.....

Bunnies are on both tank fins......

BB

HA5008 EA-6B Prowler VMAQ-2 Marines-image.jpeg

Old 10-25-2019, 05:31 AM   #13
Too many models! (1500+)

Quote:
Pre-pro:
Sorry, but while you have put a lot of work into this, I'm not convinced of much of your work.

Your photos seem to be based on different aircraft. While a simple gis search of VMAQ-2 prowlers shows:

- definitely brighter yellow leading edges as hM has it
- what i think are several instances of the bunny with a white bow tie
- the squadron logo with a white bow tie
etc

Quote:
I bet that the yellowish trimming around the canopies would do magic, making this model looking miles nicer, creating incredible wow effect and really much improving the look of this Prowler
agree with you 1000% there though.

im not saying you're wrong. im saying im not convinced for the specific aircraft that HM is modelling. you may well be right, but the evidence needs to be better not just "look, an old aircraft photographed on a grey day therefore the yellow is too bright."
Old 10-25-2019, 11:26 AM   #14
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post

Trimming around the canopies
I bet that the yellowish trimming around the canopies would do magic, making this model looking miles nicer, creating incredible wow effect and really much improving the look of this Prowler:

agree with you 1000% there though.

Sending an email to William in Hobby Master is the best thing what you and other collectors can do about this. Hopefully there is still time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post

Sorry, but while you have put a lot of work into this, I'm not convinced of much of your work.

Your photos seem to be based on different aircraft. While a simple gis search of VMAQ-2 prowlers shows:

- definitely brighter yellow leading edges as hM has it
- what i think are several instances of the bunny with a white bow tie
- the squadron logo with a white bow tie
etc

im not saying you're wrong. im saying im not convinced for the specific aircraft that HM is modelling. you may well be right, but the evidence needs to be better not just "look, an old aircraft photographed on a grey day therefore the yellow is too bright."

Well, so you´re questioning my work based upon your "simple gis search"? Thank you, that's pleasing ...

I have no intention to convincing you in any way, your opinion is your opinion only, and within forum rules you can obviously say what you want (almost). But sorry - no offense, but accusing someone from poor evidence based on "a simple gis search" looks just like a lazy substitute for actually making an argument.

HMC site doesn´t exactly specify which year is this Prowler based on. It just says that this number 160432 "000" arrived at Cherry Point in 1977 and had last active duty flight in 2011. We are speaking about Hi-Vis period, so my reasons to saying that 160432 "000" Playboy Bunny should have red bow tie and red eye are namely based on this picture which I took from Aerofax Minigraph 7 book EA-6A Intruder, EA-6B Prowler by Dennis R. Jenkins:

Another proof was this Wikimedia picture of 160432 "000":
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ight_c1977.jpg
If you don´t believe your eyes: have you ever tried to open this photo in Photoshop to check that color of white Bunny head is RGB 248/248/248, while RGB color of the bow tie is 121/86/71, and color of logo bordering is 160/119/100? ... I did.

To be honest, I even don´t recall seeing any photo of real Hi-Vis 160432 "000" machine proving that bunny was just white. I recall fully white bunny on 160432 "000" machine only on Hasegawa model.

Other images with red detailed bunny that I posted before:
http://www.cedu-diver.com/vmaq2b.jpg
http://www.seaforces.org/usmcair/VMA...Jesters-51.jpg
https://www.eztoys.com/media/catalog...mage1_4_15.jpg
are just supporting proofs.

I´m not saying ´red detailed bunny´ because I personally prefer red detailed bunny (Of course the red detailed bunny would look so much better on this Prowler ) (... and also would perfectly fit with HA1956 RF-4B Playboys). I´m saying ´red detailed bunny´ because the photo proofs say so. Which means that I have no problem and I gladly change my opinion when you or someone else proves that 160432 "000" machine should have bunny in white.

Last edited by Ladia; 10-25-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:15 PM   #15
Too many models! (1500+)

Quote:
Well, so you´re questioning my work based upon your "simple gis search"? Thank you, that's pleasing ...
No, I'm saying you evidenced your claims using images of other aircraft, while a simple GIS search shows a great deal of variation, even during what you're optimistically calling the 'high vis period.'. So, to prove your point, you need to make sure you're referring the exact airframes / times, etc involved. Which you haven't. Hence, you haven't proven your point. And, while I'm not saying you're wrong in this particular case - you may well be 100% right --, I am very much saying that one of the big reasons that HM no longer accepts feedback the way it used to is because of research as shoddy, or at least as poorly referenced, as you have done, has led them to make some serious mistakes in the past.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #16
Insane Collector

Quote:
Hey guys,

isn´t the color of the tail supposed to be black? Just black?
There was also this 160432 all black black tail, all white bunny, of course from a different time period......appears to be no red at least for the border from the distance of this shot....needless to say you can't see colors of the eye or bow tie.

Red bow tie and eye or not.....I'm still buying to add to my bunny theme

At this point, for those specific elements... I think the std DAC 3ft rule of thumb will surfice for me.....

BB

Old 10-25-2019, 10:34 PM   #17
Insane Collector

Quote:
......1. Tail color is black - not dark blue

On HM artwork, the tail color appears to be colored in dark blue (about the same color that is on USAF insignia on artwork fuselage).

But the correct color of vertical stabilizer + its dorsal spine extension + Bunny logo on the rudder is BLACK.

Also, VMAQ-2 and MARINES letterings on the fuselage should be black, not dark blue.

Confusion:
There may be some confusion as The Great Hasegawa suggests FS15050 blue color on the tail on their High Visibility Prowler 00538 plastic kit - and this kit is probably data source for Hobby Master model:

So please Hobby Master, do the tail color in black!
And also should be mentioned......- black color on vertical stabilizer + its dorsal spine extension ........Summary:

- Gloss black tail .......
You should be happy the pre-pro wasn't this....

BB

Old 10-25-2019, 11:12 PM   #18
Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues Boy View Post
There was also this 160432 all black black tail, all white bunny, of course from a different time period......appears to be no red at least for the border from the distance of this shot....needless to say you can't see colors of the eye or bow tie.

Red bow tie and eye or not.....I'm still buying to add to my bunny theme

At this point, for those specific elements... I think the std DAC 3ft rule of thumb will surfice for me.....

BB

Attachment 328000
I know this photo of 160432, BB, but I haven´t included it before as its not from the period modelled by HM, which was probably around 1978 when 160432 served as Commanding Officer´s aircraft, marked "000". Also, Bunny logo on your photo is on black rudders and CY letters on the tail are completely different.

But I agree with you that even if HM won´t be able to make bunny logo correct for "000" Prowler, (i.e with red bow tie and red eye), I'd still buy it.

Much more benefitial would be if HM can add yellowish trim around the canopies, tone down too bright yellow leading edges and correctly tilt the refuelling probe. Asking price for this Playboys Prowler is so high that HM really should take every care to deliver flawless model for the price ($132.95 at Flying Mule).
Old 10-25-2019, 11:26 PM   #19
Collector

Quote:
You should be happy the pre-pro wasn't this....

BB

Attachment 328004

Frankly - I wouldn´t be much surprised, as this Hasegawa model someone painted exactly according Hasegawa´s paint scheme which suggests FS15050 Blue for the tail .

... and this same Hasegawa kit is most probably HM using as a source for their model.

But note how much of a difference makes the trimming around the canopy!:

Old 10-26-2019, 12:42 AM   #20
Insane Collector

Quote:
.........But I agree with you that even if HM won´t be able to make bunny logo correct for "000" Prowler, (i.e with red bow tie and red eye), I'd still buy it........

......Asking price for this Playboys Prowler is so high that HM really should take every care to deliver flawless model for the price ($132.95 at Flying Mule).
Well I always use the 20% discount coupon for some wallet relief

Red bow tie, red eye.......

I came across this in my ebook.....Walk Around EA-6B Prowler published 2004

Draw your own conclusions....

BB

Old 10-26-2019, 01:08 AM   #21
Insane Collector

Bb

Old 10-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #22
Insane Collector

As so far....no clearer picture to zoom in on the tail of the CO's scheme version is has turned up......You can postulate that the CO himself, added his two cents on the markings of "his" plane, and to his tastes, did not want the red eye and bow tie coloring, opting for traditional white.....yeah yeah that's possible and sounds good

Below is the Hasegawa decal sheet

BB

HA5008 EA-6B Prowler VMAQ-2 Marines-image.jpeg

Old 10-28-2019, 03:40 PM   #23
Collector

this model is really discussed is there any reason? the prowler is popular ? or is it this marines wing?
theo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #24
Insane Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo78 View Post
this model is really discussed is there any reason? the prowler is popular ? or is it this marines wing?
For me I'm a Playboy bunnies theme kind of guy......

But for this particular BUNO 160432 it has a longer than most others service history I personally find interesting.....

https://www.mcara.us/EA-6B_first_returns.html

Other collectors of course have their reasons

And as for the model itself, hoping it's done as close as possible to the scheme version of the period .... to be mfg'd in diecast....can be talked about til the cows come home... Bottom line you buy or you don't....

BB

Old 10-29-2019, 07:46 PM   #25
Collector

Quote:
As so far......You can postulate that the CO himself, added his two cents on the markings of "his" plane, and to his tastes, did not want the red eye and bow tie coloring, opting for traditional white.....yeah yeah that's possible and sounds good

Below is the Hasegawa decal sheet

BB

Attachment 328166

What a coincidence, BB, the same postulation came to my mind too. Only vice versa:

There are many photos of white tail bunny on VMAQ-2 Prowlers and only two photos of exact CO´s machine from the modelled era - and both these photos show the bunny with red eyes and red bow tie. It looks more like the CO wanted to differ his machine from other VMAQ-2 Prowlers by red details on bunny logo.

Hasegawa decal sheet
Same as is Hasegawa wrong in the paint guide (blue tail color), I believe also this decal sheet is wrong in this point (full-white bunny). Or maybe can also be they decided to include only one bunny logo to their decal sheet and they opted for white variant which is correct to the other possible aircraft No: 623. Dunno exact reasons, just this would sound quite logical explanation.

One way or another, main thing to me is that both currently available photos of CO´s 000 Prowler from said timeframe speak about red details on the tail bunny logo.

Last edited by Ladia; 10-29-2019 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:31 PM   #26
Collector

Quote:
For me I'm a Playboy bunnies theme kind of guy......

BB

Hope you´ve already sent your own "pleasehobbymasterdothetrimmingaroundthecanopy " email?
Old 10-30-2019, 01:31 AM   #27
Insane Collector

Quote:
Hope you´ve already sent your own "pleasehobbymasterdothetrimmingaroundthecanopy " email?
It's to late....

You'll have to do this......

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  22.9 KB

BB

Old 10-30-2019, 06:44 AM   #28
Too many models! (1500+)

Quote:
It's to late....
BB
if we're sure it's too late that kind of sucks. Needless to say, this sort of trimming is very hard to do by hand.
Old 10-30-2019, 08:38 AM   #29
Collector

Quote:
It's to late....

You'll have to do this......

Attachment 328244

BB

Plan B:
- does anybody know whether there are any decals for triming the Prowler´s canopies available? Or are decals generally not suggested for this kind of applications (extremely narrow curved stripes)?
- is there any thin yellow / yellowish foil on the market to cut these stripes from? Foil flexible enough that stripes don´t wrinkle in sharp radiuses?
- or is there any method how modellers represent the rubber trimming around the canopies, other than masking?

Last edited by Ladia; 10-30-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:30 PM   #30
Insane Collector

Quote:
Plan B:
- does anybody know whether there are any decals for triming the Prowler´s canopies available? Or are decals generally not suggested for this kind of applications (extremely narrow curved stripes)?
- is there any thin yellow / yellowish foil on the market to cut these stripes from? Foil flexible enough that stripes don´t wrinkle in sharp radiuses?
- or is there any method how modellers represent the rubber trimming around the canopies, other than masking?
Of the Prowler's produced so far......it appears Hobby Master has never painted canopy trim. (Or do I need my eyes examined )... My take away from this is a few reasons....

(By "glass", I mean clear plastic canopy windscreen)

1) lips on either side of the canopy frame strip sections (without the "glass" insert attached) would have needed to be moulded in when the mould was first created... in order to be able to have a surface to paint onto the color required.

2) labor intense painting onto a thinly measured strip of "glass" painted parallel along the frame strip sections. (Requiring a steady hand so as not to oops a mistake on to the other areas of the "glass", wipe off and start all over again)

3) No desire to create a stencil or decals that would cover the parallel sides to the "glass" frame strip sections.

IMO, it's certainly a challenge in the cost of time and labor when your talking large quantities..... (not the same as a single modeler with time and a steady hand to do it and do it right)

It's unfortunate...HM not yet up to the challenge...perhaps someday

BB

Last edited by Blues Boy; 10-30-2019 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:23 PM   #31
Insane Collector

In what has been mentioned that the trim is yellowish.....

Appears to be incorrect if the caption in the picture is correct. What is perceived to be painted trim, may in fact be a gasket surrounding all the canopy windscreen framework in the color tan.

IMO....I personally would not expect something such as gaskets to be highlighted in paint as a highlighted element of a diecast model. But then that's just me

BB

Last edited by Blues Boy; 10-30-2019 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 11:25 PM   #32
Collector

Quote:
In what has been mentioned that the trim is yellowish.....

Appears to be incorrect if the caption in the picture is correct. What is perceived to be painted trim, may in fact be a gasket surrounding all the canopy windscreen framework in the color tan.

IMO....I personally would not expect something such as gaskets to be highlighted in paint as a highlighted element of a diecast model. But then that's just me

BB
Yes, you say it correctly, on real plane its a gasket - rubber gasket to be exact, as I mentioned above:
Quote:
Plan B: - or is there any method how modellers represent the rubber trimming around the canopies, other than masking?
I was speaking about the "trim"/ "trimming" because it well describes what is needed to replicate this rubber gasket on the scale model - to paint the thin trim around the canopy. Sorry for possible misleading.

In case of this Prowler this gasket is simply very visible. I will not repeat photos already posted above, but if you check them, you can see this rubber gasket really stands out on this Playboys Prowler.

And if you think this gasket is not worth to be highlighted on a diecast model, just check this ...:

Yeah, I´m pretty sure this canopy gasket / trimming really should have been present on this Prowler.

L.
Old 10-31-2019, 02:20 AM   #33
Insane Collector

You have a point for the planes you may like.....what you have pictured is not my cup of tea...but indeed adds to your argument.

Well, unless HM does an 11th hour change....perhaps you should prepare to possibly use a masking kit.....search and you may find

Good Luck....

Not much more to add to this thread.

As mentioned.....I have pre-ordered

BB

Old 10-31-2019, 04:24 AM   #34
Insane Collector

Quote:
Plan B:
Here Ladia....try this masking....maybe it will work with HM.....it's for 1/72

Montex | Offer - MINI MASK 1/72

Name:  image.png
Views: 73
Size:  411.9 KB

BB

Old 10-31-2019, 08:30 AM   #35
Collector

Many thanks for info, BB.

I´ve seen these already but something tells me that canopy masks - especially for such a tiny stripes - should be precisely cut for specific canopy / specific model / specific kit manu. And I´m not sure that HM made their canopy / framing exactly to Hasegawa model. So there´s a risk that no available masks will exactly fit to HM Prowler canopy (and thinking about it, the same surely applies to available decals).

But even with mask that would fit I´m more afraid that my efforts to paint canopy framing will only lead to destruction of this model

Anyway I´ll definitely try to print the decals by myself - just a thin yellow stripes on white waterdecal paper, or a simple yellow/yellowish sheet to cut these stripes from - and try to imitate the framing with these decals.
And maybe I can also find some (self-adhesive) foil, thin and flexible enough to cut the stripes from - I´d rather prefer solution which could be eventually removed in case of need.
Or I can ask on modelling forums if modellers have any method other than masking.

But maybe Hm will surprise us.
.... not really
Old 11-01-2019, 08:41 AM   #36
Too many models! (1500+)

Quote:
Yeah, I´m pretty sure this canopy gasket / trimming really should have been present on this Prowler.
hear hear
Old 11-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #37
Jaded Collector

Quote:
Yes, you say it correctly, on real plane its a gasket - rubber gasket to be exact, as I mentioned above:

I was speaking about the "trim"/ "trimming" because it well describes what is needed to replicate this rubber gasket on the scale model - to paint the thin trim around the canopy. Sorry for possible misleading.

L.
I agree that it should be present. However, just for interest, on every jet I've ever flown it is not a gasket. It is sealant like a type of putty. It's painted over on many aircraft so not obvious. Rubber seals or gaskets are used to provide pressurisation seals between the canopy frame/windscreen arch/canopy rail and are not visible with the canopy closed.
Adour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:00 PM   #38
Insane Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adour View Post
I agree that it should be present. However, just for interest, on every jet I've ever flown it is not a gasket. It is sealant like a type of putty. It's painted over on many aircraft so not obvious. Rubber seals or gaskets are used to provide pressurisation seals between the canopy frame/windscreen arch/canopy rail and are not visible with the canopy closed.
Here is some fyi as it pertains to Prowler's.....

BB

Old 11-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #39
Jaded Collector

I'm not a Prowler man, so I accept it could be true. However that is not a flight or engineering manual, NATOPS document or any other kind of actual authoritative proof. So unless proved otherwise, I'm calling bull****. Journos are well known for straying from the path of righteousness.

Where are the "tan gaskets"?

https://browse.startpage.com/do/show...286a&t=default

It would be nice to have an authoritative reference.

Last edited by Adour; 11-02-2019 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Adding images in this forum is a PITA.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:50 PM   #40
Jaded Collector

Then again, maybe I'm being unfair to the author. He states:

"A tan coloured gasket is fitted around the frame . . ."

That's around the canopy frame, not the canopy transparency. I reckon that's what I already said and you're misinterpreting.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:07 PM   #41
Collector

Interesting discussion, gents.

Adour, I think you´re correct with it being a sealant / putty. And from close-up photos I provided below it also looks that this sealant is applied under the canopy glass. And just my two cents - this would also explain different looking sealant color on gold tinted and clear glass canopies.

As this sealant is clearly Prowler´s structural element, I guess it is always present on every Prowler, even when from the certain angle / certain light conditions it may be not visible, as on photo provided by Adour.

On machines wearing grey paint schemes the sealant color almost seamlessly blends with grey overall color around, but really stands out on black painted canopies such as the HM Playboys Prowler. Therefore imho on greyish Prowlers in 1/72 scale is completely ok if the canopy "trimming/bordering" is omitted, but on black / dark canopies is really missing.

Sealing on grey / gold tinted canopies:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...6B_Prowler.jpg

https://media.defense.gov/2011/Nov/0...-GJT15-078.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/698/22...68dfe88f_b.jpg

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...en_canopy.JPEG

https://media.defense.gov/2012/Dec/0...-WVT87-088.jpg

http://www.seaforces.org/usmcair/VMA...anshees-18.jpg

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos...9920.jpg?v=v40

Sealing on grey / clear canopies:

https://live.staticflickr.com/3354/3...11b38f53_b.jpg

Black canopies (+ dark blue):

https://i.ibb.co/4K5Wmdp/160432.jpg

http://www.seaforces.org/usmcair/VMA...Jesters-50.jpg

http://www.seaforces.org/usmcair/VMA...Jesters-51.jpg

https://cdn10.picryl.com/photo/1982/...2db0f-1600.jpg

http://www.cedu-diver.com/vmaq2j.jpg

https://www.defense.gov/observe/phot...to/2002028386/

http://cmano-db.com/images/DB3000/aircraft_2305.jpg

https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos...2896.jpg?v=v40

http://ea6bprowler.org/images/gallery/18.jpg

Last edited by Ladia; 11-02-2019 at 11:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:34 PM   #42
Insane Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adour View Post
I'm not a Prowler man........It would be nice to have an authoritative reference.
Unfortunately, these particular manuals, listed below, come with a $ from websites that has them available. It's not in my interest to spend additional $ to add to the pre-order, I already made, just for further enlightenment and prove or disprove materials used as a gasket, a seal, goopy sealant, putty, etc...for canopy framing.

Unless HM does an 11th hour change to the canopy framing to represent such material in yellowish or tan or whatever contrasting color, what is seen in the pre-pro, imo, is pretty much it at least until HM show's Final Pro pics or a collector gets one in hand....but of course by then it would be to late anyway.

Although there may or may not be an existing example from some previous model, I'm not aware of HM ever halting an assembly line in full production of a model to retrofit something in order to correct it.

BB

Last edited by Blues Boy; 11-03-2019 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Re-word original text for some clarity

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: