Abraxas' Trip to Egypt & Dubai (Photo Intensive!) - DA.C

Go Back   DA.C > Local Control > 1:1 Scale Commercial Aviation
Supported by:

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:10 AM   #1
Master Collector

Default Abraxas' Trip to Egypt & Dubai (Photo Intensive!)

Hi All,

As you might know, my fiancé and I went on a holiday to Egypt and Dubai last month. We had a great time in both places. Egypt offering a lot of history with its monuments and temples, while Dubai offered a look into the future with its modern architecture and lavishness.

Flying with Emirates to Egypt and then a mixture of airlines on the domestic routes, this trip offered my first opportunity to board an A380 as well.

I was also taking a brand new camera out on this trip, the Canon SX210IS which has 14.1MP and 14x Optical Zoom in a compact 'travel' casing. It's a brilliant camera, which I think will show in the photos I'll be presenting in this thread.

There's quite a few pics, so I'm not sure how I'll go about posting them. Probably bit by bit. Definitely with an aviation focus, but I hope you don't mind if I throw in some travel shots as well

Sydney-Dubai: EK413, Airbus A380-861 A6-EDD, 10 May 2010

Our outbound flight was EK413 from Sydney to Dubai. With a 21:10 departure, the flight was almost completely in darkness. Unfortunately, the first (and only) shot I was able to get of our plane from the Sydney Terminal was this one, which is terrible I know, but the best I could do.

Once aboard, we got comfortable in our seats. Here's a shot out of the window of Seat 78A. The flight appeared to be full, not forgetting we were also carrying passengers who had boarded in Auckland on their way through. The A380 has a large window 'area' to look out of, but the actual window is actually quite small.

Each seat has a personal screen of course, offering Emirates award winning entertainment system. I enjoyed the three in-flight cameras, although the flight information channels didn't work on this flight for some reason.

Taken after climbing out of 34L, some of the western suburbs of Sydney at night.

A shot of the lower deck. There is a very spacious feel here. A and K seats have a lot of room between armrest and the fuselage which allows for extra storage or putting your pillows. Though it's not uncommon to lose your pillow to the person in the row behind! The plane is very quiet and the roof has the starfield twinkling away during the night.

The sun begins to rise, lighting up the wing as we approach Dubai.

Mountains or dunes as the sun continues to rise.

Approaching Dubai from the east.

On our downwind leg for DXB. The airport can be seen to the left, centre of the image as well as much of the developing city.

The Burj Khalifa (the world's tallest building) can be seen as the tall, dark building below the wing as we continue our downwind leg...

Touchdown in Dubai on Rwy 12L and taxi past a terminal under construction to our gate at Terminal 3.

On the jetway, a pic of two of the four engines that power the A380.

More to come as we fly onwards to Cairo...

Dan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
Abraxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #2
Master Collector

Default Re: Abraxas' Trip to Egypt & Dubai (Photo Intensive!)

Part 2...

A6-EDD at the gate. It had the grey nose cone that made it look like a Koala :P

We had a short stopover in Dubai so we walked the terminal from end to end, taking a look at all the shops and stretching our legs from the lengthy SYD-DXB flight.

A6-EBI at her gate, preparing for the next journey.

Inside the great Terminal 3 at Dubai. Some other passengers were also taking photos and were questionned by airport staff. So I tried to be more discreet with the photo taking after seeing that...

A6-EKW, an A330 preparing for her next flight as we awaited boarding our flight to Cairo.

Across the field, several Emirates aircraft sitting in what appeared to be layover bays. There's no mistaking which airline dominates at DXB! Little did we know that while we were waiting at the right gate for our flight to Cairo, our aircraft was actually one of those pictured...

Dubai-Cairo: EK924, Boeing 777-31HER A6-ECB, 11 May 2010

Our bus ride seemed to go forever from the gate to our aircraft, but we finally got out here! A view from the bus of the massive GE90's of our B77W.

Seat 19A this time, I thought we would be sitting further forward of the engines, but that didn't matter.

A view back across the field looking at DXB's Control Tower. We were standing over there somewhere while awaiting our bus tour of the airport to get to our plane.

Departure was out of Rwy 30R. In the following shot you can see 'The World' islands just over the engine.

'The world' islands, a little more clearly.

Looking back over Dubai. The Burj Khalifa stands out again. If you can't see it, the raked wingtip is pointing towards it!

The cabin of the B77W. A slightly different IFE system to the one used in the A380 and we noticed it was a little louder in here with tighter seats. But still, a comfortable flight.

The next post I'll include our approach into Cairo and more.

Cheers,

Dan

|
|
Old 06-09-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
Panathinaikos AO

Send a message via MSN to NitromanseR Send a message via Yahoo to NitromanseR Send a message via Skype™ to NitromanseR

Cool! Nice pics dude...

PS: My 1st post 8)
NitromanseR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2010, 06:34 AM   #4
Master Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitromanseR View Post
Cool! Nice pics dude...

PS: My 1st post 8)
Welcome to DAC! Hope you have a great time here!

...and thanks for taking a look at the pics.

Let's continue the trip!

It's a reasonably short trip from Dubai to Cairo. I thought it might have been a bit 'beneath' a B77W but I guess Emirates has to utilise them somehow and it appeared to be a full flight!

Here we are crossing the Red Sea...

Once again the flight map wasn't working on our displays, so it's guesswork as to where we are, but I'm guessing this is over Sinai somewhere.

Pyramid sighting!!! We would find out later that this is one of the many pyramids in the Saqqara complex, along the Nile River, south of Cairo.

Another Pyramid. I think this one is also from the Saqqara complex (definitely not one of the Giza pyramids).

Descending into Cairo now. Check out all the buildings! The main feature in the middle is the Citadel of Salah Al-Din.

Touchdown at Cairo International Airport on Rwy 05C. This meant a long taxi to the international stands at the northern side of the airport. But we did get to see some interesting scenery on the way...

Dash 8's SU-CBE and CBF out on the apron. Looks like CBF is getting a livery update? According to Planespotters.net, these aircraft are operated by Petroleum Air Services - which would explain the PAS logo seen on CBE.

Saudi Arabian MD-90-30 HZ-APJ. A unique looking control tower in the background as well. However, Cairo has a more modern tower situated further towards the centre of the field. The one pictured is probably now the 'old' tower.

Nile Air A320-232 SU-BQC. All wrapped up, shades drawn and engines covered. According to Planespotters, this aircraft is in storage though Airfleets says it's Active. Either way, it's not going anywhere at the moment!

Tunisair A320-211 TS-IMI. You get a view of the international terminal building here as well.

AMC Airlines MD-83 SU-BOZ. Apparently damaged after an overshot landing in 2006.

There's our plane after boarding our airport bus - clean windows are a rarity around here I've noticed.

Cairo's International Terminal building awaits...

I'm guessing this might be the special 'VIP' terminal building?

This one's for Danny! An MEA A321-231. Pretty sure it's F-ORMG (the haze obscures the rego a little).

Birds circling a globe. This monument sits near the airport drop-off area/entrance.

While modern on the outside, the interior of the Terminal building still felt a bit old and closed in. Travellers to Egypt can pick up their Visa's quickly at the airport if they haven't made prior arrangements (we had). Baggage collection, immigration and exiting are all fairly simple. We met our Cairo tour guide and proceeded to our hotel from here. We were lucky in that our hotel was near the centre of town. Only a short walk to most of Cairo's offerings such as the Opera House, Cairo Tower, Egyptian Museum and Downtown.

That's all for now, but will pick up with some holiday snaps soon as we use Cairo for our base to head to Giza and Saqqara...

Cheers,

Dan

|
|
Old 06-09-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Complete Wacko!

Excellent pics. EK are known for stuffing seats in to their a/c and their 777's have a 3-4-3 configuration compared to the standard 3-3-3 as used by most other airlines.

I'm surprised there were no Egyptair a/c to be seen. I'd love to go to Cairo, so much history there compared to Dubai which is just all glass buildings and shopping centers. Cairo is also a very exciting and inexpensive city from what I have been told.

Old 06-09-2010, 12:16 PM   #6
Going, Going, Gone.....

Abraxas thanks for sharing the pics! Loved the grey nose Koala bear remark . That departure out of 30R/L at night is so amazing, though not as wonderful as landing on 12L/R with the city skyline twinkling against the starry sky. Going over the darkness of the sea, and then turning right back into land, with the endless stretch of lights, the pointy needle Burj Khalifa towering over the entire skyline is breathtaking!! Of course, for the ultimate thrill you have to pass directly over it or around it, to see how much higher it is from the ground compared to the rest of the skyscrapers around it

Hope you are making a stopover in Dubai?

This would be at the border of Dubai and Sharjah

1:200Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Complete Wacko!

I think he's already over and done with his vacation.

Old 06-09-2010, 05:20 PM   #8
Master Collector

Thanks for taking a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjabbasi View Post
Excellent pics. EK are known for stuffing seats in to their a/c and their 777's have a 3-4-3 configuration compared to the standard 3-3-3 as used by most other airlines.

I'm surprised there were no Egyptair a/c to be seen. I'd love to go to Cairo, so much history there compared to Dubai which is just all glass buildings and shopping centers. Cairo is also a very exciting and inexpensive city from what I have been told.
Indeed I had read that the B777's from Emirates had some compromised seating but I was surprised at just how noticeable the difference was. I couldn't imagine spending 12-13 hours in one on the SYD-DXB route for example. Our return flight from Cairo-Dubai on a B772ER felt better as we were sitting down the back of the plane where it was 2-4-2 instead and those seats felt much better.

There were plenty of Egyptair aircraft at Cairo for sure, but I didn't score any photos of them on this initial visit. Most of them were parked on the apron at the beginning of 05C and being their hub they get the prime terminal locations etc while other airlines go to the northern part of the field. In fact, I think the central area of the airport is reserved for Egyptair and its Star Alliance partners. Don't worry, there's plenty more photos to come, and Egyptair will be among them

Cairo's great, but so different to Dubai for obvious reasons. Everything in Egypt is relatively inexpensive. With the currency being 5:1 against the AUD (and I think it's very similar for the USD as well), everything was very cheap there. Certainly an experience being over there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1:200Freak View Post
Abraxas thanks for sharing the pics! Loved the grey nose Koala bear remark . That departure out of 30R/L at night is so amazing, though not as wonderful as landing on 12L/R with the city skyline twinkling against the starry sky. Going over the darkness of the sea, and then turning right back into land, with the endless stretch of lights, the pointy needle Burj Khalifa towering over the entire skyline is breathtaking!! Of course, for the ultimate thrill you have to pass directly over it or around it, to see how much higher it is from the ground compared to the rest of the skyscrapers around it

Hope you are making a stopover in Dubai?

Happy to see people enjoy the posts as well... Remember, Koala's aren't 'bears' hehe

We had a night arrival into Dubai on our way back from Cairo but it was also for 30R (or maybe 30L). We come in from the sea, pass the city and the airport and end up waaaaaaaaaaaay out over the desert before turning base and for long final. Whilst at the Burj Khalifa we did see a B777 fly directly overhead, but didn't score a photo of that event.

We did have a stopover in Dubai - those pics will be coming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjabbasi View Post
I think he's already over and done with his vacation.
Correct... but these posts will continue as and when I get time to write up some more about the trip! Don't worry, there's plenty more to come

Stay tuned!

Dan

|
|

Last edited by Abraxas; 06-09-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:38 AM   #9
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to karun83 Send a message via Skype™ to karun83

Quote:
yeah you are right. that indeed appears to be the Mamzar Beach area near the Dubai-Sharjah border. Having lived in that area for bout a month recently I can easily recognize those large man made lakes...!!
karun83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 AM   #10
Master Collector

Part 3, this is where we get into the holiday snaps. I've included a few here, enough to show off what we saw without overdoing it too much since this is an aviation forum after all!

Cairo, Giza and Saqqara - 12 May 2010

First up, the ever popular Giza Pyramid complex. This one is Khafre's Pyramid which sits in the middle of the three main pyramids at Giza.

The Great Pyramid, the largest of the three. Plenty of camels about the place as well offering rides for about an hour at a cheap price of course.

The Step Pyramid of Djoser at the Saqqara Pyramid complex, south of Cairo and Giza.

An Egyptian military C-130 flying overhead near Saqqara.

We also visited the ancient city of Memphis, former capital of Egypt to see several other monuments.

Cairo - 13 May 2010

Our morning excursion took us to the Egyptian museum, but you're not allowed to take photos inside there. It was followed by a visit to the Citadel of Salah Al-din and the Alabaster Mosque (seen from the air in my previous posts!) This place is truly amazing and massive!

This photo shows the courtyard of the mosque. Shoes off for this part of the tour, or put shoe covers on!

Cairo to Alexandria - 14 May 2010

We had a bit of a long road trip from Cairo to Alexandria on this day. Along the way we stopped at some rest areas and monasteries that appeared to be out in the middle of nowhere. This is the church at the Monastery of St Bishoy.

Alexandria - 15 May 2010

Our trip into Alexandria didn't leave much time after arrival to take a look around. On the next day though we had a tour through the Montazah Gardens. This is one of King Farouk's palaces.

Our garden tour was followed by a visit to the underground catacombs and then onto the modern Alexandria Library, also known as the Bibliotecha.

This is the Planetarium at the Bibliotecha...

This photo shows the water feature and roof of the Bibliotecha. The library building represents the rising sun while the planetarium represents the moon. The library itself has several levels which are below sea level to pay tribute to the lost library which is now underwater.

Alexandria's Montazah area at night. This is the view from the front of our hotel, overlooking the entrance to the Montazah Gardens. The busy Corniche ends near here but the traffic still chugs along!

That's it for this instalment. Will be heading back to Cairo in the upcoming posts with plenty more photos!

Cheers,

Dan

|
|
Old 06-14-2010, 07:33 AM   #11
Master Collector

Okay, sorry for a bit of a delay there - time to keep this thread moving along...

Alexandria - El Alamein - Cairo - 16 May 2010

After our time in Alexandria it was time to head back to Cairo. This time though we would take the long road via El Alamein. This is a historical World War II site where the Allies fought fiercely in the desert in order to protect the Empire. Interestingly, the road between Alexandria and El Alamein is now filled with dozens of Marinas which act as resorts for the rich and famous because of their beaches and access to the Mediterranean Sea.

Along the road I spotted this MiG on display. There's a few of these to be seen about the place, but to photograph them properly you have to either stop, or be very quick. Apologies for the blurred image in this case...

The Australian War Memorial at El Alamein. This felt like a piece of home out here in the middle of nowhere seeing the familiar words and the coat of arms. A plaque detailing the ANZAC involvement at El Alamein was nearby as well as memorials for those involved.

The Australian Coat of Arms.

Looking out into the War Cemetary. Many thousands of soldiers lay here, mostly from Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain and Canada. It's interesting the sort of feeling you get when you visit a place like this. I'd never visited a war cemetary before, but it didn't take much time walking amongst the tombstones to really appreciate the sacrifices that were made by everyone here. Some soldiers died at such young ages and there were quite a few nameless tombstones as well.

Lest We Forget...

Continued in the next post...

Dan

|
|
Old 06-14-2010, 07:34 AM   #12
Master Collector

As an optional tour, we could take a look at the War Museum nearby. Here we were shown the events that occured across Egypt and Libya via audio and visual playback.

Some of the Italian aircraft involved in the war.

Displays throughout showing uniforms and weaponry.

A War Eagle statue.

This painting covered an entire wall and included the sand and diorama in front which gave it a little more impact.

Ammunition from a Spitfire... the remains of the aircraft sit outside.

Ground artillery on display outside the museum.

What remains of a Supermarine Spitfire...

An artillery unit.

More tanks and ground vehicles...

Back on the road to Cairo I spotted another MiG by the side of the road...

It was quite a long road from El Alamein to Cairo through what seemed to be endless desert! It's hard to imagine the soldiers fighting in such conditions so far from home.

The trip will continue in coming posts of course. Soon we'll be heading to 'Upper Egypt' along the River Nile.

Cheers,

Dan

|
|

Last edited by Abraxas; 06-14-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:10 AM   #13
Junior Collector

Thumbs up Re: Abraxas' Trip to Egypt & Dubai (Photo Intensive!)

hie Abraxa

we like your Trip lto Egypt & Dubai photos and we have uploaded one on our site. to view yopu can follow the like below:

Dubai to Cairo flights

we have also linked your link ,from our site for outhers so view your post.

Regards

Kuda shawa
kcudash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
Master Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcudash View Post
hie Abraxa

we like your Trip lto Egypt & Dubai photos and we have uploaded one on our site. to view yopu can follow the like below:

Dubai to Cairo flights

we have also linked your link ,from our site for outhers so view your post.

Regards

Kuda shawa
Cheers Kuda, thanks for the mention!

Dan

|
|
Old 06-17-2010, 07:38 AM   #15
Master Collector

Let's keep the trip report going!

Cairo - Luxor - 17 May 2010

We barely got any sleep the previous night in Cairo due to renovation work that went through the night. We also had an early start on the 17th to get down to Cairo airport in time for our flight to Luxor where we'd start our Nile River cruise.

At the airport looking out over the apron (blue tinted glass) at Egyptair's A321 SU-GBW and a Singapore Airlines B777-200ER that recently landed...

On the other side of the apron sit two Egyptair aircraft in the old livery. B737-800 SU-GCM and A330-200 SU-GCJ.

Being prompt to the airport often means we have the longest wait. So we waited and waited at our boarding gate where were then put onto a bus for a tour of the airport. On our way to our flight we passed several Egyptair aircraft on remote stands.

Airbus A320-200 SU-GCL, in the background is an Embraer 170 and also an A340-300.

One of Egyptair's B777-200ER's. Sorry the photo is out of focus, registration unknown.

Boeing B737-800 SU-GCN. (Collecting the fleet here after sighting GCL, M and N!)

Our Embraer E170 awaiting boarding passengers. SU-GDI.

The nose of SU-GCV (E170) and an Airbus A320 series.

About to board our E170, in the full new Egyptair Express livery.

The view from my seat 23A, the second row of Economy Class.

Egyptair B737-800 SU-GCS in the Star Alliance livery at her remote stand. Many other Egyptair aircraft in the background. To the right you can see the old and new Egyptair Express liveries on the two E170's.

This was my first flight aboard an Embraer E170 and it was quite nice. A very comfortable little aircraft I have to say. Due to the seating arrangement I didn't get an interior cabin shot as the curtains for the forward section were drawn during flight meaning there wasn't much to see! No inflight entertainment but it was such a short flight that it would've been pointless! Egyptair service was adequate for such a short flight as well.

Will continue the thread with photos from the flight and tourist photos from Luxor.

Thanks for reading,

Dan

|
|
Old 06-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #16
Master Collector

It doesn't take long after take off from Cairo for the world below to disappear into the dusty haze. The window seat didn't offer much at that point except views of dust clouds until we began our decent into Luxor.

Here we are descending into Luxor, the River Nile in view...

Taxiing to our stand and terminal we pass these two interesting aircraft out on the apron. In the foreground is a VH registered aircraft! A long way from home, a Cessna 750 Citation X VH-XCJ and behind her is an Antonov An-2R HA-MBG.

VH-XCJ is photographed on Airliners.net at Avalon Airport back in 2009 and the most recent entry from May 24, 2010 puts her at London Luton.
HA-MBG has made fewer appearances with one photo on A.net taken back in Hungary, 2004.

After deboarding our E170 it was back onto another bus to be carted to the terminal...

A Dash 7 which appears to be wearing the livery of Petroleum Air Services...

Another unique aircraft on the apron at Luxor, Yakovlev Yak-42D RA-42365 from Aeroflot-Plus Airlines. I'm loving seeing all these rare birds that don't come anywhere near Australia!

After baggage claim and meeting our tour guide for this section of the tour we were driven to the Karnak Temple. This massive site is not far from either Luxor or the airport. Here are some of the Ram Statues that line the entrance to the Karnak Temple Complex.

Some of the massive columns inside the Karnak Temple. All of the ancient Egyptian monuments and sites provided for some unique photograph opportunities!

We spent a while exploring the Karnak Temple and adjusting to the warmer climate of Luxor. It was hot! We boarded our Nile cruiser later in the day to settle in and stay overnight, but the actual river cruise would not start until the following day.

More to come, including an exciting trip after our first night's sleep in Luxor! Stay tuned...

Dan

|
|
Old 06-17-2010, 11:36 AM   #17
EGNX

Realy enjoyed this, the architecture at the Cairo International building and the VIP area was amazing. An awful lot of Mig Gate guards too! And loosing your pillow down the side of the seat? I did this many times on an AA T7 window seat, the widebodies have massive gaps between the fuselage and the first seats, especially toward the rear

Istari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
C-FITL

Wow very nice!! Egypt looks pretty Dull, that Island in Dubai, isn't it made out of fake sand or something? And wasn't it shaped like a flower?
Old 06-17-2010, 01:03 PM   #19
Going, Going, Gone.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-FITL View Post
Wow very nice!! Egypt looks pretty Dull, that Island in Dubai, isn't it made out of fake sand or something? And wasn't it shaped like a flower?
Janek, you definitely need to read up on Egypt's Historical past. People don't visit Egypt for nothing . The Island in Dubai is not shaped like a flower, but a Palm tree in a circle and there are other islands as well grouped together to make up the shape of a world map.

Old 06-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #20
RUN, baby, RUN

Thanks for sharing your trip experiences with us.
The pictures are great.
HTF200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #21
Insane Collector

Very enjoyable photo journey. Thanks for taking the time and effort to post Abraxas!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:45 PM   #22
Junior Collector

Best thread on DAC for a loooong time Dan-thanks for sharing these with us! Any videos to go along?

IF YOU HAVE ANY HASEGAWA QUESTIONS PLEASE DIRECT THEM HERE
Bill-ay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:23 AM   #23
Master Collector

Thanks everyone for taking a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istari View Post
Realy enjoyed this, the architecture at the Cairo International building and the VIP area was amazing. An awful lot of Mig Gate guards too! And loosing your pillow down the side of the seat? I did this many times on an AA T7 window seat, the widebodies have massive gaps between the fuselage and the first seats, especially toward the rear
I have to agree... there's much to appreciate in Cairo and I had to say I was impressed with the airport architecture. When you think about it, that's the first impression most tourists to Egypt will actually get. It's quite a contrast to the city of Cairo itelf, but then you have to expect that!

Hahaha fair enough, yes it's not uncommon to lose your pillow on a widebody, but the A380's main deck emphasises this even more

Quote:
Hey Janek, cheers for following the thread. I know 1:200Freak's covered this, but there's quite a lot more to Egypt and you'll get to see more of it as this thread continues!

As for Dubai, there's two 'Palms' under construction by reclaiming the sea. The Palm Jumeirah is rarely visible from a plane though due to haze and it's distance from the flight path into DXB. The islands I photographed are a group that are made to represent a map of the world. Check it out on Google Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2707300SST View Post
Very enjoyable photo journey. Thanks for taking the time and effort to post Abraxas!
No probs! Glad to do it and jog my memory of the events of an amazing experience, even though it was only a month ago I'm already starting to forget the details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-ay View Post
Best thread on DAC for a loooong time Dan-thanks for sharing these with us! Any videos to go along?
Hey Billy, glad to see you're still about! I've got some videos of course but I haven't planned how I'm going to present them just yet. I'm really behind with my video updates

Dan

|
|
Old 06-18-2010, 07:26 AM   #24
Master Collector

At different points in our trip we were offered some optional tours and excursions, at additional cost of course. My fiancé and I took up the option in Cairo to head to the Sound & Light Show at the Pyramids. There was also a night tour of Alexandria on offer as well as the Sound & Light Show at the Karnak Temple.

One offer that my fiancé jumped at was a balloon flight out of Luxor which would offer panoramic views over the Valley of the Kings, Tombs of the Nobles and the Valley of the Queens. If we were early enough we would even catch the sunrise. Unfortunately for us, we didn't get up THAT early, but we still had a great time - our first balloon adventure and over such great scenery!

Luxor - Edfu - Esna - 18 May 2010

The launch site, already a busy morning sky filling up with balloons.

The baskets arrived on the back of trucks and were quickly attached to the balloons and fired up. Here's ours undergoing inflation - SU-248.

Except for when the fire's lit, ballooning is a very quiet activity! Quite amazing how it's all done...

Here's a bit of a view of the amazing panorama that was before us. To the left is the Valley of the Queens, bottom left is a fallen temple. Photo centre is the Tombs of the Nobles, to the right is Hatchepsut's Temple and further to the right, off screen is the Valley of the Kings.

Yours truly and my wonderful fiancé, Eleonor.

Our Captain fires up the burners once again. They were quite loud and VERY hot!

A sister balloon eclipsing the sun...

Looking back towards our launch site (empty grey patch in the left centre of photo) and landing site. One more balloon about to launch. Although we are near some very special monuments and tombs of Upper Egypt, you can see that villages exist within a close distance.

Here's our very happy balloon captain - Captain Nasser.

Even with such an early start, we still had a long and busy day ahead. After our balloon flight we met up with the others from our tour group who didn't fly with us and explored the Valley of the Kings. No cameras are allowed anywhere near these tombs (though you'll still see the odd camera that somehow got past security).

The Valley of the Kings is where all of Egypt's famous Kings were buried. Tutankhamun's tomb is here along with Ramses and co. Inside the tombs are some stunning artworks and hyroglyphics. Some are so well preserved in full colour and kept behind clear glass to help preserve them for future generations to appreciate.

Security about photography is strict around the tombs, but not the temples. So when we visited the Al-Deir Al-Bahari Temple the camera came out once again!

This temple is better known as Hatchepsut's Temple...

From here we pressed on in 45º heat to the Valley of the Queens. Again, photography wasn't allowed, but much like the Valley of the Kings, this is where the Queens of Egypt were laid to rest including Nefartiri (if you have a spare 25000 Egyptian Pounds to take a look!). A short visit to an Alabaster shop and then back to our cruiser which finally left the dock and headed down the Nile River to Edfu.

At Edfu, we visited the Temple of Edfu which is dedicated to the Falcon God Horus.

The cruise continued later in the afternoon onwards to Esna. Upon arriving at Esna our boats came upon these men in their rowboats. What followed was an interesting shopping experience...

These boats were loaded with galabeyas (traditional Egyptian clothing), scarves, rugs and carpets. They would throw the items (inside plastic bags) onto the top decks of cruisers with people onboard. If you liked the item, you then negotiated a price or exchanged items. It was quite an entertaining experience seeing items being thrown back and forth - yes, some did end up in the water and some bargains were had!

So ends today's adventures... but there's still plenty more to come!

Dan

|
|
Old 06-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #25
Going, Going, Gone.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abraxas View Post
As for Dubai, there's two 'Palms' under construction by reclaiming the sea. The Palm Jumeirah is rarely visible from a plane though due to haze and it's distance from the flight path into DXB. The islands I photographed are a group that are made to represent a map of the world. Check it out on Google Earth
This was one of the Palms being reclaimed from the sea in 1995. Taken from an Etihad A332 while overflying DXB on AUH-BRU!

Old 06-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #26
C-FITL

Quote:
Janek, you definitely need to read up on Egypt's Historical past. People don't visit Egypt for nothing . The Island in Dubai is not shaped like a flower, but a Palm tree in a circle and there are other islands as well grouped together to make up the shape of a world map.
I mean dull as too much sand, I know Egypt is very interesting and historical but from pictures it looks lame cause it's sand that carriers itself miles and miles. But that's not the poitn. Yes, the island is what I meant, don't know why I wrtoe flower

LeFreakie, doesn't the pic you posted have houses on it too or am I refering to another? I remeber seeing it on Discovery Channel

Last edited by C-FITL; 06-18-2010 at 12:55 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #27
Going, Going, Gone.....

Quote:
I mean dull as too much sand, I know Egypt is very interesting and historical but from pictures it looks lame cause it's sand that carriers itself miles and miles. But that's not the poitn. Yes, the island is what I meant, don't know why I wrtoe flower

LeFreakie, doesn't the pic you posted have houses on it too or am I refering to another? I remeber seeing it on Discovery Channel
Janek the pic I posted is from 1995. It was still being reclaimed from the sea at the time. Now, it is totally inhabited I believe.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:05 AM   #28
Master Collector

An optional tour we selected before departing Australia was to check out the temples at Abu Simbel. Once our cruiser had arrived in Aswan (travelled through the ship locks overnight, unfortunately, as I'd wanted to see that event), four of our group would head down to the airport for our flight to Abu Simbel...

20 May 2010 - Aswan - Abu Simbel - Aswan

Once we approached Aswan airport our ears were filled with the sound of roaring jet fighters. Too quick to photograph in the air (and it also wasn't really recommended seeing as they were military jets after all!) but awesome to hear and see. Though I have to admit, our group had mixed with the 5-star Australian group and they were a bit more precious about things on the trip, so seeing fighter jets probably wasn't as 'awesome' for them as it was for me :P

I thought our flight might have been aboard an Egyptair aircraft of some sort, but we were informed it would instead be taken care of by an airline called Air Memphis. Funnily enough, our guide in Cairo had joked about dodgy Egyptian airlines and named Air Memphis as one of those...

Enough typing... boarded our bus and here's an Egyptian MiG taxiing back to its bunker...

Driving past this Air Memphis Fokker F50, SU-YAI. Our aircraft can be seen in the background...

Here's our plane! Air Memphis McDonnell Douglas DC-9-31, SU-PBO. An ex US Air aircraft...

No allocated seating and even our tickets didn't have our names on them we board the aircraft. Quite a contrast from some of the aircraft we've flown aboard to get here! Talk about nostalgia. We had good seats though as we were in the exit Row 14.

Shortly after an amazing take-off, here's the view out of the window.

Arriving at Abu Simbel, here's an Air Cairo Airbus A320-214, SU-BPV on the apron.

Our DC-9 on the tarmac. Air Memphis operate as a private charter, so the aircraft remained here until our tour of Abu Simbel was finished.

What we came down here to see - the amazing Temple of Abu Simbel featuring these four colossal statues of Ramses. It's amazing to realise that these monuments and the temples within them were moved piece-by-piece to this location so they could be seen by future generations after the damning of the Nile River.

Back aboard our DC-9, something's wrong with our window blind?! Not sure what it was made of, maybe paper?

Exiting SU-PBO from the rear...

On our return to Aswan we had a look around the Unfinished Obelisk to see how the many Obelisks at the different Egyptian monuments were actually created. In the afternoon we were taken by boat to the Philae Temple which was also deconstructed and relocated to save it from the flooding of the Nile...

Returning to our cruiser was aboard a Felucca along the Nile...

Our Nile Cruiser - the M/S Nile Story at her dock in Aswan.

Sunset at Aswan and our last night aboard the Nile Story.

So ends our Nile Cruise but it was a great experience with all of the temples, tombs and other tours we took part in. Tomorrow we head back to the airport again and back to Cairo for the last few parts of our Egypt adventure...

Cheers all!

Dan

|
|
Old 06-22-2010, 04:31 AM   #29
Master Collector

Hey All,

Just backing up the holiday a bit. I just uploaded this video of our Taxi Ride in Alexandria. This should give you a taste of the traffic in Egypt. We're averaging about 100km/h along the Corniche here...

YouTube - Egypt Holiday - Taxi Ride in Alexandria

Was that fun or what?

Dan

|
|
Old 06-22-2010, 05:36 AM   #30
Wannabe

Send a message via AIM to IMPDb Send a message via Skype™ to IMPDb

Love the pictures Abraxas, thanks for sharing! I have always wanted to go to Egypt.

IMPDb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 07:58 AM   #31
Master Collector

Glad you're enjoying the thread

21 May 2010 - Aswan - Cairo

Our time in Upper Egypt was over now so it was back to the airport for our flight back to Cairo. Here, Egyptair A320's SU-GCD and SU-GCL sit on the apron awaiting their passengers.

Boarding MS095 to Cairo, SU-GCD. Horus, Egyptair's mascot greets us at the door...

Aboard MS095, a cabin shot from Seat 30B.

Lining up, I was able to get this photo of the fighter bunkers at Aswan airport.

Another short flight to Cairo, this shot was taken on our decent. The lady in 30A was part of the 5-star tour group travelling to the same places as us and was very nice to allow me to take so many shots!

We got the good side of the aircraft! The captain announced as we approached Cairo airport that the Pyramids would appear on the left side. Here they are...

A look at Cairo's suburbs on approach.

Our return to Cairo was around midday and we had no other activities planned so we spent our time relaxing (we had upgraded rooms at the Santana Hotel this time!) and then went for a walk to Downtown once more. Managed to capture this nice sunset shot over the Nile featuring the Cairo Tower.

Our holiday in Egypt is quickly beginning to wrap up so there's only a few posts left including our adventure in Dubai...

Coming soon

Dan

|
|
Old 06-27-2010, 08:03 AM   #32
Master Collector

Continuing our trip, but the Egypt part is about to come to an end...

22 May 2010 - Ismailia

Today we ventured out to Ismailia and the Suez Canal. It was a reasonably lengthy trip out from Cairo to Ismailia where we had a brief stop to look at the town there and then head onto the Suez Canal.

Along the way I spotted another MiG gate guard...

We got to the Suez eventually at a Ferry Crossing. However, due to security issues we weren't allowed to take photographs at all whilst there. A real shame because we passed the worlds largest 'swing bridge' nearby and we were treated to a large cruiser coming through the canal followed by several container ships (car transporters and the like). Our bus took the ferry across the Suez and then (with military escort) we proceeded through the Sinai region of Egypt to the Suez Canal Bridge (better known as the Egyptian-Japanese Friendship Bridge) which clears the canal at 70m high.

While crossing the bridge I was able to score this shot of the cruiser and other ships proceeding down the Suez (we overtook them after crossing the Suez on ferry and heading down to the bridge on the road).

On the road back to Cairo we pass this gate guardian again...

These posters lined the roads near Heliopolis (where the airport is) and Cairo. They almost have a very 'propoganda' feel about them with the way they're put together and the 'show of force' on display!

23 May 2010 - Cairo, Our Last Day in Egypt

Our last day in Egypt and we were stuck in Cairo for the morning with a slightly later checkout from our hotel and then a late departure from the airport for our flight to Dubai.

With only a few hours to spare in the morning and having visited Cairo's Downtown enough times we decided to head somewhere different and found our way to the Cairo University. The staff at the entrance were kind enough to let us into the grounds and get some pictures...

On our shuttle bus to the airport we travelled through Heliopolis and past the Military Museum which has several different MiG's out front and other military equipment.

Some shots of the Cairo International Terminal building...

About to say farewell to Egypt in the next post...

Hope you enjoyed!

Dan

|
|
Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #33
Master Collector

Finishing up the tour of Egypt it's time for some spotting at Cairo airport. I'm not sure if there was an important meeting happening in Cairo as there were a number of government aircraft on the apron as you'll get to see.

The airport terminal is quite modern looking on the outside, but inside it wasn't anything spectacular and actually felt quite small. We quickly ran out of things to do while awaiting the arrival of our flight. Many of us were trying to use up the last few Egyptian pounds we had before leaving the country (Egyptian money is only good in Egypt due to its low value!) We pooled our monies together to buy a soft serve from McDonalds but their soft serve machine wasn't working. In the end, I left with 3 Egyptian pounds!

As has become normal with our flights from Egypt's airports, we boarded a bus to take us out to where our plane was waiting. No photos of her in this thread but it was an Emirates B777-21HER, A6-EMJ.

French Air Force A319-115X F-RBFA

AirFrance B777-228ER F-GSPS wearing the new livery

Qatar B777-3DZER A7-BAH, quite a new aircraft on the apron next to our flight.

Republique Democratique Du Congo B727-30 9Q-CDC, marked out with cones and even a security guard standing by this one.

Syrian A320 on the apron.

We had quite a long taxi. While the Qatar jet next to us was able to depart from the nearby runway, we taxied past the terminal to the centre runway for ours. The sunset provided for some nice viewing out of the window but didn't help with taking photos unfortunately.

Before we knew it we were airborne and bidding farewell to Egypt and the lights of Cairo heading off into the night bound for Dubai...

Hope you've all enjoyed Egypt!

More to come from the UAE in the coming posts

Dan

|
|
Old 07-07-2010, 08:47 AM   #34
Master Collector

So Egypt's done and behind us. Now we're on our way to Dubai, a place I've wanted to visit for quite some time and finally would be able to check it all out!

23 May 2010 - EK927, B772ER A6-EMJ

Cabin view aboard EK927 during the night bound for Dubai. I had picked the seats at the back of the 777 so we would be sitting together and these seats provided a bit more room even with the offset TV screen (which was hardly noticeable). This was also my first experience with a tray table that folded out from the armrest. Service on this flight was exceptional.

Approaching the coastline the lights of Dubai come into view...

We entered a long downwind for Dubai. The airport and terminal can be seen in the centre of this photo. We would continue for a few minutes out over the desert before turning back for landing.

24 May 2010 - Dubai

We arrived just after midnight and didn't clear baggage claim until well after 1am. Unfortunately, we were supposed to be picked up from the airport but no driver was there to meet us. In the end, we made our own way via taxi to the hotel for a short sleep before an eventful day's touring of Dubai and adventuring.

Here, Eleonor and I stand in front of the iconic Burj Al Arab...

Our tour pressed on along the Palm Jumeirah to the impressive and massive hotel Atlantis, The Palm.

We also visited some of the gold souks and drove past several other locations in Dubai to see the expanding skyline and new buildings etc. We had a short break back at the hotel for lunch and a rest before heading out for a 4WD Safari experience in the evening.

Eleonor and I were having a lot of fun with the sand dunes in our 4WD, but unfortunately we shared the car with two others in our tour group (the remaining two opted to stay back at the hotel and shop in the souks). One of the other passengers was not enjoying the sand duning whatsoever and so ended up getting her way as the driver took the short, boring, blacktop road to our destination.

Not before allowing us to take this photo though...

Arriving at our destination for the evening's entertainment, I experimented with the new camera and took some photos of Luna, our moon.

There was also an opportunity for some plane spotting as aircraft on approach to Dubai flew overhead.
Not sure which airline this B737 is from?

A B727 flying over, again I'm not sure of the airline/operator...

Eleonor and I were able to ride a camel, eat some traditional Arabian food and watch a bellydancer perform on stage (poor lighting for decent photos fellas!) before heading back to Dubai for our rest.

Thankfully, the others in our tour group headed back to Sydney the following day while Eleonor and I had another day to enjoy Dubai at our own pace on our terms. The final day of our holiday will start in my next holiday posting!

Cheers,

Dan

|
|
Old 07-07-2010, 10:28 AM   #35
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to karun83 Send a message via Skype™ to karun83

@Abraxas: that B737 belongs to Pamir Airways (of Afghanistan) and the B727 is of Ariana Afghan Airlines... seems like both the flights were inbound from Kabul...

Having experienced Desert Safari 4 times myself, I should say that the quality of service has improved over the years, with my most recent experience being in Nov'09.. .I hope you enjoyed the food and the belly dance thereafter...

Nice trip pics btw...
karun83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:07 AM   #36
Master Collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by karun83 View Post
@Abraxas: that B737 belongs to Pamir Airways (of Afghanistan) and the B727 is of Ariana Afghan Airlines... seems like both the flights were inbound from Kabul...

Having experienced Desert Safari 4 times myself, I should say that the quality of service has improved over the years, with my most recent experience being in Nov'09.. .I hope you enjoyed the food and the belly dance thereafter...

Nice trip pics btw...
Thanks karun83, I think you're probably right with the B727 and I'll take your word for it on the B737! Very cool to see as we don't see stuff like that in Australia!

The Desert Safari was quite a bit of fun, even with the lady in the back partypooping the sand duning. We had our first camel rides and got to check out some arts and crafts before our meal which was delicious. The bellydancer was also good to watch - so the whole experience was very worthwhile (for most of us lol).

Just throwing this post in the middle to show our desert fun on the 4WD safari. Sort of anyway... The woman mentioned in the previous post that 'spoiled the fun' can be heard throughout this video. I would have filmed for longer but figured her continuous whinging in the background wouldn't have made for a good video!

Anyway, here it is... (not sure how to embed on this forum?)

YouTube - Dubai Holiday - 4WD Desert Safari

More photos to come to finish up the trip soon

Dan

|
|
Old 07-14-2010, 07:06 AM   #37
Master Collector

Here's the last day of our trip overall, our second day in Dubai.

25 May 2010

With the other four people departing back home for Sydney, Eleonor and I were able to have today at our pace. Our driver was open to take us wherever we wanted to go during his time with us. So we opted to check out the Burj area. He took us to the Dubai Mall to allow us an hour to look around and to preorder some tickets to go up the Burj Khalifa. If you preorder tickets it costs 100dhs instead of 400dhs for an immediate entry.

Here's the awesome Burj Khalifa, taken near it's base.

The Burj Khalifa (the world's tallest building) joins the Dubai Mall (the world's largest shopping mall) alongside the world's largest artificial water fountain.

Inside the Dubai Mall we found the 'At The Top' store and were informed we could go up immediately at the discounted 100dhs price! Without too much consideration we decided to go for it and spent our hour taking in the tour and information related to the At The Top experience.

For more info about the Burj Khalifa and At The Top, check the link: Visit the Burj Khalifa -- The Tallest Building in the World

Everything about the At The Top tour is an event showcasing the vision and construction of the tower. Even the elevator to the Observation Deck plays movies and creates a feeling of anticipation until the doors open and the wonderful view from the tallest observation deck in the world is revealed.

Here, Eleonor and I have our photo taken At The Top.

Part of the Observation Deck is actually open air and the heat at 124 floors high is still as scorching as it is on the ground level! Whilst out here I was treated to an Emirates B777 flying overhead but didn't react fast enough for a photo of that.

Here's a view, looking down over the Dubai Mall (dominates the left and centre of the photo), the water fountain (bottom right) and The Address hotel (top right).

Looking out to the north and the stretch of skyscrapers making up Dubai's skyline.

Another view over the largest water fountain and more of the Burj area of Dubai.

Back down on Earth I scoured the gift shops for a model of the Burj Khalifa but they were sold out! We had also spent much longer than an hour up there so we quickly met up with our driver to head to our next destination.

As we spent much longer in an Islamic Art Gallery yesterday we missed out on taking a look at the Dubai Museum. So we asked the driver to take us there where he let us explore for a short while. This was actually quite a great place to look through which told the story of Dubai from its early days as a small village through to the awesome city it has become today. It was in the museum gift shop I found a great model of the Burj Khalifa for my souvenir!

After pick up we still hadn't done any shopping and we only had a short amount of time left with our driver so we asked where he'd recommend visiting. We ended up going back to The Dubai Mall and he left us from that point as the Mall would be too big to explore in the time remaining (for him to pick us up and return us to our hotel). So we opted to stay on and make our own way back afterwards.

We spent a decent few hours in the Dubai Mall and barely scratched the surface. We spotted this hobbyshop, but there were no diecast planes for sale. Check out the size of the R/C jet fighter though!

We looked at several clothes shops, a massive Kinokuniya bookstore, Hamley's Toy Shop, electronic stores, the indoor aquarium, massive waterfall, the Gold Souk and probably much more that we forgot. After we thought we'd had enough we took a taxi to The Mall of the Emirates.

The Mall of the Emirates is smaller, but still huge compared to shopping centres we're used to! This is where SkiDubai is based. Check out the Winter Wonderland in the Dubai desert!

The day was getting away from us at this point and so were our savings so we didn't go skiing, maybe next time. We explored what little we could and I found an Emirates kiosk where I was able to purchase a 1:200 scale Emirates A380 model as a momento. I also spotted this interesting A380 in a kiosk that specialised in printing images within glass/crystal.

We took a taxi back to our hotel and experienced some of Dubai traffic peak hour along the way.

For the evening we were booked on a Dhow cruise on Dubai Creek. Our tour company were a bit disorganised with the travel arrangements but the cruise itself was quite nice. Taking us through 'Old Dubai' and allowing us to see the city at night.

A great way to wrap up the trip. We wouldn't have much time in the morning as we would have to be at the airport reasonably early for our 10am departure back to Sydney...

Photos from our return trip to Sydney will follow to wrap up this thread.

Hope you've enjoyed!

Dan

|
|
Old 07-22-2010, 08:43 AM   #38
Master Collector

Time to leave Dubai...

26 May 2010 - EK412, A388 A6-EDE

So we had two pretty packed and awesome days in Dubai, our third day was basically time to make sure we had everything before being picked up and chauffeured to the airport for our flight back to Sydney.

Once through check-in etc we tried to get rid of our remaining Dubai currency and awaited boarding. This photo was taken from the jetway...

I made sure we got some seats up the front end of the plane for this trip - one of the benefits of an all Economy class lower deck on the Emirates A380's! Our aircraft is A6-EDE, the sistership of the one that flew us from Sydney to Dubai (A6-EDD).

Luckily for us the flight wasn't full. So the person who was sitting in 47C found she had the opportunity to stretch out further back in the cabin and have a whole row to herself. Eleonor and I got to share among 47A,B and C as a result

This picture shows the forward economy cabin, with the cockpit entrance ahead and slightly raised from the main deck.

Due to strong tailwinds enroute to Sydney our flight had to hold at the gate for about 45-60 mins to avoid reaching Sydney before the lifting of curfew. Best to wait here on the ground than to be circling in the air over Sydney I guess? With enough time to get comfortable and take in the surroundings I took this photo out of the window of the row behind me.

Alongside us sits an Emirates B777-300ER, A6-ECP. The eagle-eyed among you would've noticed in the previous shot that the aircraft next to us was A6-EMS - that's how long we were at the gate waiting for pushback!

We were finally able to pushback and head out to the Runway. Along the way we passed a few interesting aircraft including this FlyDubai B737-800, A6-FDA. A nice and colourful livery on Dubai's low cost carrier.

Further into our taxi in the distance we passed the cargo area and spotted what appears to be an Antonov 72 on the left and an Ilyushin Il-76 on the right.

The interesting aircraft keep on coming as we past the Dubai Air Wing B747-400, A6-HRM.

An Emirates A340-300 (I think it's A6-ERR).

About to take off and leave it all behind! The next post will wrap it all up...

Buckle up!

Dan

|
|

Last edited by Abraxas; 07-22-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #39
Going, Going, Gone.....

Your pics from the front and back sections on the A380, have given a good idea of the views. That compartment in the front, though having gorgeous views of the two engines and unobstructed views of what is approaching, is actually quite small and compact. It also has the lavatories close by, the steps to the upper deck, flight deck and what's quite scary could have screaming babies in those very first middle seats. Not forgetting the galley right behind the L1 and R1 doors. The section at the back seems a much better choice, being even more widely spread out compared to the front. Glad you could fly the "Fat thing"

Old 07-23-2010, 05:02 AM   #40
Crazy 1/400 collector

Nice pics,
glad you came back safe.
Old 07-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #41
Master Collector

Thanks Brad! Had a great time and unfortunately been back to reality for two months now! How the time flies!

Okay everyone, time to wrap up this trip. I hope you've enjoyed the show and ride! If you haven't had enough and want to see more, I've got three albums online (via Facebook) that should be accessible via these links.

Egypt Part 1 - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=186c5e18d2
Egypt Part 2 - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=83bea2981f
Dubai - http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...4&l=88bf7a8670

Climbing out from Dubai airport and passing over the harbour, this shot captures the QE2 cruise ship awaiting her conversion into a hotel.

Continuing our climb we pass over 'The World Islands', still under construction by the look of things.

One last look at Dubai as we fly over the city skyline. Again, the Burj Khalifa reaches upwards above all the other buildings. I brought out the 'Miniature Effect' once more for a unique, toylike view of the city.

A look back at the Engine Alliance powerplants. It was so very quiet at the front of the plane you hardly knew the engines were there! A slightly different story in the back of the plane (not loud by any means, but you're more aware of the engine noise sitting behind the wing).

Some interesting mountain scenery.

Approaching night time with our strong tailwind pushing us along we pass over The Maldives which makes for some beautiful scenery out the windows.

The rest of the flight was conducted through the night. We figured this would be a great opportunity to rest up and be refreshed upon our early morning arrival in Sydney. Even with the massive tailwind pushing us along at well over 8-900km/h and the slight turbulence, it wasn't as though the aircraft was uncomfortable, particularly with three seats between the two of us.

Unfortunately there were three young children though with a single mother who had other ideas and they ran amuck throughout the night so I hardly got any sleep as a result...

On approach into Sydney first thing in the morning. Here we entered the pattern for a 16R approach via the south-western Sydney suburb of Campbelltown, heading north over Hornsby before turning south for the airport...

Still not much light about - just enough to make out Sydney's skyline as we descend towards 16R.

Taxiing to the gate, spotted this V Australia B777-300ER, VH-VOZ.

Also spotted this Singapore Airlines A388 which arrived just before us.

After exiting the aircraft there's very little opportunity in Sydney's International Terminal to capture a picture of your plane, so this was my best attempt - which doesn't show much, but about all we would be able to get before entering the shopping areas and being herded through Customs etc.

That was it! After that we were picked up by my father and wheeled home where we rested up and tried to normalise back to the Aussie climate. The hard part being that we had just come from hotter places on Earth with temperatures up in the 40's (Celsius) and had returned to Winterey Sydney which was going through a wet spell and temperatures in the mid-teens if we were lucky!

My last photo here is of a customised print I ordered from Airliners Illustrated at the Dynamic Arts Gallery website: http://www.dynamicartsgallery.com/ Nicholas there did a great job putting some prints together for me including this one of Emirates A380 A6-EDE which includes the flight information of Sydney-Dubai and the return trip. Excellent work and a quality product, I look forward to framing it and displaying it (in my new house!) alongside the 1:200 Emirates A380 I acquired from Dubai

Of course the model shown in the photo isn't the 1:200 version, it's the Gemini Jets 1:400 scale A6-EDA model.

Highly recommend taking a look at Dynamic Arts Gallery if you're interested in creating your own customised prints or purchasing from the selection of premade ones available! /plug

I hope everyone's enjoyed this thread. I tried to make it as interesting as possible, particularly after seeing quite a few rare aviation examples along the way...

All the best and thanks for reading!

Dan

|
|

Last edited by Abraxas; 07-27-2010 at 07:58 AM.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: