1/72 Dragon Wings F/A-18F... Opinions ??? - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-24-2010, 09:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
LuckyStrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Age: 50
Posts: 249
Default 1/72 Dragon Wings F/A-18F... Opinions ???

Want to get a Rhino into my collection. I know Witty Wings also has the 'Legacy' Hornets. Do any have the DW F/A-18 Rhinos in your collections ?

Thanks,
alex
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sweet Home Chicago...
LuckyStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Aussie Collector
 
Glenn40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gold Coast, AUST.
Posts: 55
Default Re: 1/72 Dragon Wings F/A-18F... Opinions ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyStrike View Post
Want to get a Rhino into my collection. I know Witty Wings also has the 'Legacy' Hornets. Do any have the DW F/A-18 Rhinos in your collections ?

Thanks,
alex
Yeah I have the F/A-18F from VFA-41 example.
50179 - F/A-18F SUPER HORNET

Apart from one poor fitting bomb rack pin (not glued straight) and one slightly problematic wing tip Sidewinder the model is a beauty! And my first Dragon Wings piece too.
Glenn40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Collector
 
1400power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Langley, VA
Posts: 53
Default Re: 1/72 Dragon Wings F/A-18F... Opinions ???


1400power is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-29-2010, 02:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
*
 
David Hingtgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,404
Default Re: 1/72 Dragon Wings F/A-18F... Opinions ???

Dragon's first batch of Super Hornets have large speedbrakes between the tailfins--which is 100% wrong for a *Super* Hornet.

Later, they redid the area, and still got it wrong---it now resembled the first couple prototype Super Hornets, not any that actually went into service. Most DW Super Hornets come with AMRAAMs for the wingtips, which is wrong---you'll have to find Sidewinders, or leave them empty.

Witty's first few releases (VFA-2 among others) missed the "pizza box" on the nose, but are generally correct otherwise---ATFLIR pod/fairing is totally wrong though--but that's fairly easy to remove. Weapons are painted white on most though, that's wrong.
__________________
We need more TWA twin-stripes!
David Hingtgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 03:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
LuckyStrike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chicago
Age: 50
Posts: 249
Default Re: 1/72 Dragon Wings F/A-18F... Opinions ???

Thanks for the information guys. Looks like I will have to build 1/72 Hasegawa kit to get it right.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sweet Home Chicago...
LuckyStrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Aussie Collector
 
Glenn40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gold Coast, AUST.
Posts: 55
Default Re: 1/72 Dragon Wings F/A-18F... Opinions ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hingtgen View Post
Dragon's first batch of Super Hornets have large speedbrakes between the tailfins--which is 100% wrong for a *Super* Hornet.

Later, they redid the area, and still got it wrong---it now resembled the first couple prototype Super Hornets, not any that actually went into service. Most DW Super Hornets come with AMRAAMs for the wingtips, which is wrong---you'll have to find Sidewinders, or leave them empty.

Witty's first few releases (VFA-2 among others) missed the "pizza box" on the nose, but are generally correct otherwise---ATFLIR pod/fairing is totally wrong though--but that's fairly easy to remove. Weapons are painted white on most though, that's wrong.
Which is exactly why I went with the AIM-9s on the wingtips. Didn't realise the error with the speed brake though. Still, at a glance, its a good looking example even if not 100% accurate.
Glenn40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 06:37 AM   #7 (permalink)
Old Collector
 
B-huj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,814
Default Re: 1/72 Dragon Wings F/A-18F... Opinions ???

the speedbrake is a huge eyesore and cannot be forgiven, if I have to pick between Dragon and Witty, I still take Witty. But when it comes to the legacy Hornet, I'd probably go the other way.
B-huj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 01:41 AM   #8 (permalink)
Aussie Collector
 
Glenn40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Gold Coast, AUST.
Posts: 55
Default Re: 1/72 Dragon Wings F/A-18F... Opinions ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-huj View Post
the speedbrake is a huge eyesore and cannot be forgiven, if I have to pick between Dragon and Witty, I still take Witty. But when it comes to the legacy Hornet, I'd probably go the other way.
I have to say Dragon must have corrected the speed brake issue because I checked mine and there is no sign of it at all and the dorsal area between the tail fins looks fine. I got my Super Hornet late last year. I am happy.

Last edited by Glenn40; 06-03-2010 at 02:12 AM.
Glenn40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:42 PM.

Latest Threads
- by nevec45
- by vnangli
- by stevec
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.