Most desired F-4 Diecast - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Eric w
  • 1 Post By iCemountie
  • 1 Post By Fusion Monkey
  • 1 Post By Ladia
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4
Default Most desired F-4 Diecast

Hi guys, What would be your most desired Phantom F-4 diecast? It doesnt matter if the model is already produced or not. And I'd appreciate it if you can post a picture of it (the model if produced and the real aircraft if not produced yet).

In other words if a manufacturer asks you what is your most desired F-4 which they can make for you (even if its produced before) what would you choose?

And I need to say your opinion could have an impact to what comes in 2021.

Last edited by iCemountie; 09-14-2020 at 06:31 PM.
iCemountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 09-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Eric w's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 218
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

love my low vis

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-09-14 at 4.11.01 PM.png
Views: 129
Size:  595.1 KB
iCemountie likes this.
__________________
ahhhhh the hobby where you loose tons of money on tiny pieces of metal
Eric w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Shawn507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Killeen
Posts: 1,002
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

A F-4F in Norm81
Attached Thumbnails
Most desired F-4 Diecast-c46d6131-2da8-447c-9e64-8f6250ea1e99.jpeg  
Shawn507 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 09-15-2020, 01:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Too many models! (1500+)
 
FortunateSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Honiara
Posts: 2,312
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast



I have this and some others that I really want in really well built plastic kits.. Still, i think this one is too amazing not to be wildly popular. Much better than the pretty boring white/black farewell/anniversary JASDF tomcats that HM did not too long ago.

Air Commander (or Hobbymaster) is just silly for not doing a standard blue J like hobbymaster HA1994 McDonnell Douglas RF-4EJ 57-6913, JASDF, 2016. That one sells for crazy money.

also very strange that HM hasn't done the duxford phantom yet (a historically important one - 1st deployed phantom squadron - forrestal) yet.

there are so many - so many - phantoms to do still, and also HM's mould is far from the best. Honestly, if i were noel, I'd be doing phantoms.
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 02:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Jaded Collector
 
Adour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Home at last, crewing can s¥€<%#*
Posts: 540
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

F-4B, VF-74 USS FORRESTAL, 1962, “First with the Fleet”:
Attached Thumbnails
Most desired F-4 Diecast-bcbe9cf3-5d47-4a08-8860-ffa60bbd67f2.jpg   Most desired F-4 Diecast-7a65bf03-ad4a-4145-b2a0-5f3c1817d038.jpg  

Last edited by Adour; 09-15-2020 at 02:04 AM.
Adour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Collector
 
MAMC1943's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Cork
Posts: 63
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post


I have this and some others that I really want in really well built plastic kits.. Still, i think this one is too amazing not to be wildly popular. Much better than the pretty boring white/black farewell/anniversary JASDF tomcats that HM did not too long ago.

Air Commander (or Hobbymaster) is just silly for not doing a standard blue J like hobbymaster HA1994 McDonnell Douglas RF-4EJ 57-6913, JASDF, 2016. That one sells for crazy money.

also very strange that HM hasn't done the duxford phantom yet (a historically important one - 1st deployed phantom squadron - forrestal) yet.

there are so many - so many - phantoms to do still, and also HM's mould is far from the best. Honestly, if i were noel, I'd be doing phantoms.

There was a time when I thought these schemes were so exotic, and planned to pick up some of them.
But over time I have completely changed my mind, I now see these very expensive pieces of kit as just looking more like very very expensive TOYS rather than replica war machines.......
__________________
"My hat and scarf Nester"......
MAMC1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PRG
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adour View Post
F-4B, VF-74 USS FORRESTAL, 1962, “First with the Fleet”:

Corgi´s USS America isn´t good enough for you ?


Ladia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jaded Collector
 
Adour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Home at last, crewing can s¥€<%#*
Posts: 540
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Let me think about that for a moment.

No.
Adour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Bombcat
 
BlackAces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Skokie
Posts: 124
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

The only Phantom I know of off the top of my head is the plane that was piloted by Robin Olds when he came out of retirement to command the 8th TFW after I learned about him some years back after watching that History Channel's 'DogFights' documentary series
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Do you prefer to see this phantom produced by Air commander or HM?

I don't think Noel has any plans for Phantom just yet, I think at least for another 2 years
iCemountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 01:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Shawn507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Killeen
Posts: 1,002
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

And this
Attached Images
 
Shawn507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 03:06 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jaded Collector
 
Adour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Home at last, crewing can s¥€<%#*
Posts: 540
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCemountie View Post
Do you prefer to see this phantom produced by Air commander or HM?

I don't think Noel has any plans for Phantom just yet, I think at least for another 2 years
In my case HM. I don’t like the current problems with the AC canopy, and I don’t like the AC F-4B nose.
Adour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Grecog70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rome
Age: 50
Posts: 743
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Probably the 2 or 3 variants of the colorful aggressors, really rare to find their photos, sorry.
__________________
"Have a bandit day!"
Grecog70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:23 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 23
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
The only Phantom I know of off the top of my head is the plane that was piloted by Robin Olds when he came out of retirement to command the 8th TFW after I learned about him some years back after watching that History Channel's 'DogFights' documentary series
I think HM’s done some version of his “Scat” F-4C. As I recall the story , he wasn’t retired - but he was in a heap of trouble with HQ. Then-Colonel Olds ran an “underground” F-101C demo team , and he lost his pending promotion to General once the brass found out about it. This was a day and age where dogfighting or aggressive maneuvering was a no-no.

So he was “punished” with the Vietnam command tour. Where he shot down a lot of Migs, being careful to log the kills under his wingmen.
Silversmok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:36 PM   #15 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
robertjon5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: united kingdom
Posts: 11,242
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

this one Black Aces. ????????? HA1912.





__________________
I BUY WHAT I LIKE. AND LIKE WHAT I BUY!!!

Last edited by robertjon5; 09-15-2020 at 05:42 PM.
robertjon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
robertjon5's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: united kingdom
Posts: 11,242
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

there was also 'Operation Bolo' HA1941.


__________________
I BUY WHAT I LIKE. AND LIKE WHAT I BUY!!!
robertjon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
It's Only Money
 
Fusion Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 81
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

I would be happy with this scheme:
Attached Thumbnails
Most desired F-4 Diecast-sage-burner.jpg  
Fusion Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:47 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Eric w's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 218
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjon5 View Post
this one Black Aces. ????????? HA1912.





or air commander

https://www.flyingmule.com/products/AC-1012
__________________
ahhhhh the hobby where you loose tons of money on tiny pieces of metal
Eric w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

How about another Black Bunny but this time from AC?

Last edited by iCemountie; 09-15-2020 at 07:01 PM.
iCemountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

This one?

I know HM did one long time ago but is it time for a re-releases from AC?
Most desired F-4 Diecast-bunny_f-4s_vx-4_at_point_mugu_1982.jpg
Surinam Air 747 likes this.

Last edited by iCemountie; 09-15-2020 at 07:08 PM.
iCemountie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:21 AM   #21 (permalink)
Jaded Collector
 
Adour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Home at last, crewing can s¥€<%#*
Posts: 540
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion Monkey View Post
I would be happy with this scheme:
So would I, but that and most of the early test schemes can't be done without a modified tooling.
Adour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #22 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 115
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

I’d buy a Blue Angels Phantom that’s painted with the correct color of blue.
Rudy1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
Retired the Hobby
 
Surinam Air 747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,608
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

I know both Franklin Mint and Corgi already did the F-4 VMF-232 high visibility version with the 'red tail' but either one or both of them below i wouldn't mind from Air Commander with the extra details..
Attached Thumbnails
Most desired F-4 Diecast-0722468.jpg   Most desired F-4 Diecast-gallery02-1-.jpg  
__________________
I WANT TO BELIEVE...

...that one day I will see many more colorful JC Wings MD-11 models and the long-awaited Gemini 200 TWA twin stripes 727-200!

I always fly America's favorite airline: Southwest Airlines and the World's oldest KLM!

Paris was the greatest city on earth! Vive la France! Tokyo 2020!
Surinam Air 747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
It's Only Money
 
Fusion Monkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dayton, OH
Posts: 81
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adour View Post
So would I, but that and most of the early test schemes can't be done without a modified tooling.
One can dream, though!
Adour likes this.
Fusion Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:20 PM   #25 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
SuperKungFu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,004
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

The HM F-14 Black Bunny is a good favorite: Hobby Master F-4J Phantom USN VX-4 Evaluators, Vandy 1, Black Bunny HA1923

and also Air Commander McDonnell Douglas F-4J, USN Showtime 100 Cunningham Item: AC-1007

Both I have a spare I'm selling btw for 150 and 199 respectively if anyone is interested.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SuperKungFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #26 (permalink)
formerly insane
 
Phantom II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: heart of Bavaria
Posts: 36
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Mine would be :
F-4F in Norm'90J scheme, 38+00 with JG74 "Mölders" markings.

The "*****house" might not be first choice for a release, but was the first frame I worked on.
Pic credit aviation4u.de



Alternatively, I'd love to see the last ever flying F-4F, 38+13 of the WTD61
Here I photographed her after her phinal landing.
Phantom II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:04 PM   #27 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PRG
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

My Most desired Diecast F-4 model no-one makes yet .

I would really like to spend money on whichever diecast Phantom that doesn´t have the disgusting (and steadily wider), prominent, visible and awful air intake gaps as all HM Phantoms are infamous for (while Air Commander / X-Plus prove that F-4 intakes ARE possible to make tidy & clean).

My most desired diecast Phantom should have realistic pilots/RIO figures, not those for years critised blobs as HM stubbornly "proudly presents" again and again, with no single intention of improvement, even when Phantom being HM´s most profitable mold ever, and not caring that collectors all over the world cry for better HM pilot figures ...

My most desired diecast Phantom should also have visible intake fan blades (plastic or tampo printed), not some toyish blinds inside intakes.

I would love to have diecast Phantom with correct canopy windshield and without need to fix any bent centerpiece. And of course, with correct nose.

So this would be my most desired diecast F-4.
I realize that asking correct model is almost like a crime in diecast, so as I said before, my most desired diecast F-4 doesn´t exist yet, unfortunately.

The only manu capable of good Phantom model is Calibre Wings, but no signs of such intentions so far. Not sure if someone already brought this idea to Noel. But honestly - do you really think that possible Calibre´s Phantom would be less of a moneymaker than let´s say Fitter / S-2 / U-2?
Adour likes this.
Ladia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:07 PM   #28 (permalink)
formerly insane
 
Phantom II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: heart of Bavaria
Posts: 36
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladia View Post
My Most desired Diecast F-4 model no-one makes yet .

I would really like to spend money on whichever diecast Phantom that doesn´t have the disgusting (and steadily wider), prominent, visible and awful air intake gaps as all HM Phantoms are infamous for (while Air Commander / X-Plus prove that F-4 intakes ARE possible to make tidy & clean).

My most desired diecast Phantom should have realistic pilots/RIO figures, not those for years critised blobs as HM stubbornly "proudly presents" again and again, with no single intention of improvement, even when Phantom being HM´s most profitable mold ever, and not caring that collectors all over the world cry for better HM pilot figures ...

My most desired diecast Phantom should also have visible intake fan blades (plastic or tampo printed), not some toyish blinds inside intakes.

I would love to have diecast Phantom with correct canopy windshield and without need to fix any bent centerpiece. And of course, with correct nose.

So this would be my most desired diecast F-4.
I realize that asking correct model is almost like a crime in diecast, so as I said before, my most desired diecast F-4 doesn´t exist yet, unfortunately.

The only manu capable of good Phantom model is Calibre Wings, but no signs of such intentions so far. Not sure if someone already brought this idea to Noel. But honestly - do you really think that possible Calibre´s Phantom would be less of a moneymaker than let´s say Fitter / S-2 / U-2?

Didn't really follow diecast model offers in the past years.
So there really is no good mould for one still? Well, then I'm with you on this one.
__________________
Alex
Phantom II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:57 AM   #29 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PRG
Posts: 1,192
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Hi Alex,
you know, "good" is always relative in diecast. Tastes differ. What is good for someone may be well below acceptance for other.

HM Phantoms, with all their faults, are the most selling diecast molds ever, with some 120 schemes released so far. Its the same as with HM F-35. HM´s F-35 mold - with its horrid nauseating warty 3D surfaces some of the worst diecast models ever made - has already almost 40 releases, á 500-600 pcs each, and all are effectively sold out. Unfortunately, its clear that by doing this - by buying a flawed models - collectors actually only harm their own interests, but its like it is.

Speaking about Hobby Master, with completely missing self-motivation / ambition in themselves to produce correct models, why, for the christ sake, would they change an atom on their models if the sales are good? (to be fair, there are exceptions, but they usually require extremely massive "campaign" from collectors towards HM to persuade them to make a change).

To your point:
If you like a model or a scheme, buy it - you are the judge. Every model has some inaccuracy, bigger or smaller. If you are lenient collector - good for you as you will have many models which you will be loving. If you are a picky collector - good for your wallet and a display space.
Ladia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:20 AM   #30 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 23
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

“All Models are Wrong.Some are useful “

George Box’s quote is relevant here. Every die cast model is flawed in some way, but what makes it “useful” is a matter of opinion. Perhaps I’m super naive about this, but for some aircraft I’m just glad there’s a die cast model to gripe about in the first place.
Silversmok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 12:40 PM   #31 (permalink)
formerly insane
 
Phantom II's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: heart of Bavaria
Posts: 36
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladia View Post
Hi Alex,
you know, "good" is always relative in diecast. Tastes differ. What is good for someone may be well below acceptance for other.

HM Phantoms, with all their faults, are the most selling diecast molds ever, with some 120 schemes released so far. Its the same as with HM F-35. HM´s F-35 mold - with its horrid nauseating warty 3D surfaces some of the worst diecast models ever made - has already almost 40 releases, á 500-600 pcs each, and all are effectively sold out. Unfortunately, its clear that by doing this - by buying a flawed models - collectors actually only harm their own interests, but its like it is.

Speaking about Hobby Master, with completely missing self-motivation / ambition in themselves to produce correct models, why, for the christ sake, would they change an atom on their models if the sales are good? (to be fair, there are exceptions, but they usually require extremely massive "campaign" from collectors towards HM to persuade them to make a change).

To your point:
If you like a model or a scheme, buy it - you are the judge. Every model has some inaccuracy, bigger or smaller. If you are lenient collector - good for you as you will have many models which you will be loving. If you are a picky collector - good for your wallet and a display space.
I may add that I'm not new to diecast collecting. Started with Schabaks maybe 30 years ago and was an active DAC member for 10 years.
I'm just missing most of the last 7 years.

I see, HM did most all the stuff I want. But there's something that always kept me from buying one. Maybe the overall shape or the deep trenches all over, and certainly those pilots.. Can they be removed? I like my models with empty cockpits.

I worked on the F-4F so I'd qualify for some rivet counting, but I certainly could live without stuff like vissible fans and such on a 1/72 diecast. Here I'd go for an excessively detailed plastic scale model at 1/48 or larger - once I get the time to.
__________________
Alex
Phantom II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 09:22 PM   #32 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Shawn507's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Killeen
Posts: 1,002
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

Now that the Debbie Downers have spoken. Let’s get back to the topic at hand. What liveries do we want? You know, for those of us who dare to live with the existing Phantoms out there.
Shawn507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 10:01 PM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 23
Default Re: Most desired F-4 Diecast

I’ll offer the 2020 Turkish AF Terminator Phantom.
Silversmok3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Latest Threads
- by BA2936
- by BA2936
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.