Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 1.00 average.
Old 02-23-2020, 09:18 PM   #1
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PRG
Posts: 1,163
Default Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Tornado deserves its own thread

First HM Tonka:

HA6701 Tornado IDS 44+43, JaBoG 34 Allgau, Luftwaffe, 1980s

Large picture here:
https://www.hobbymastercollector.com.../HA6701-01.jpg


Have to say, for a long time Tornado wasn´t my favourite airframe, but from some reason as a diecast model it looks surprisingly good. Maybe its also due to Corgi tooling which isn´t bad at all, imho.

Anyway HM Tornado will probably look more crisp than Corgi, the only thing that might kill it for me is the HM "trademark" ugly nose join line to save costs. Chances that HM will make nose as a one piece are very low, I guess.


Anyway some schemes are simply irresistible, for example German Marines, or this 40th Anniversary livery:

Ladia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-24-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
Collector
 
theo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 67
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

i really hope the IDS and ECR types with AMI colors will come in the future.
theo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
Senior Collector
 
ALITALIA AZ610's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Roma
Posts: 313
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Great news. Been waiting for this.
Now hopefully AMI IDS in the 80s scheme and Eurofighter AMI as well.
ALITALIA AZ610 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 02-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #4
Sukhoi Collector
 
plane737's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winchester
Age: 46
Posts: 1,993
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

RSAF Tornadoes were my favorites.

Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING-93754_1488057648.jpg
plane737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:52 PM   #5
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PRG
Posts: 1,163
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Oh, that was quick. HM Tornado already in prototype!



https://www.hobbymastercollector.com...ypephotos.html

Looks realy good to me. And after loooooong time almost revolutionary change - no join line in the front!!! . "Low chances" turned into reality! What a fresh wind from HM!
With seam line on the bottom the model looks damn better. What will be next step? Dirtied tail with exhaust stains?

Eternal damage that HM "grew up" only now, leaving Mig-31s, Flankers, F-5s etc. forever ugly with their much disturbing nose join lines.


Anyway, Tonka with so many liveries possible and sleeping Corgi product planning department looks like a real cash cow for HM.



Note:
does anybody maybe know why some models HM did make with that ugly central join line (Migs-31, Flankers, F-5s, Migs-15/17 etc.) and some models they were able to make with seam line neatly hidden on the bottom? (F-100, A-10, F-14, Harrier, F-111 ...)
Is there any rule? Technical reasons? Or is it just a bad instant decision in the beginning of product development?
Ladia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:46 PM   #6
Collector
 
max ji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: shanghai
Posts: 53
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

I like Tornado, and I want to know why the nose of the plane looks smaller? Sorry HM.


(Same error as WITTY)







max ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:44 AM   #7
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: PRG
Posts: 1,163
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by max ji View Post
...... and I want to know why the nose of the plane looks smaller? Sorry HM.


(Same error as WITTY)

Hi Max!
you are correct. The nose looks smaller because it is smaller. Had to make photoshop comparison by myself just to find out that you are completely and utterly right: HM´s Tornado nose is some 15 - 20 % shorter than it should be. It looks like HM successfully copied Corgi´s mistake. Oh dear. That´s very unfortunate.

Also with upward slope of the tail you are right.

And there´s more: pitot tube is not slanted down as on real Tornados for example. HM pitot tube is horizontal, real Tornados have them sloped down. Changes overall look of the model. One mistake more compared to Corgi as their pitot tube has downward angle correct...
Ladia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 11:14 PM   #8
Master Collector
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: essex, england
Age: 61
Posts: 621
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladia View Post
Oh, that was quick. HM Tornado already in prototype!



https://www.hobbymastercollector.com...ypephotos.html

Looks realy good to me. And after loooooong time almost revolutionary change - no join line in the front!!! . "Low chances" turned into reality! What a fresh wind from HM!
With seam line on the bottom the model looks damn better. What will be next step? Dirtied tail with exhaust stains?

Eternal damage that HM "grew up" only now, leaving Mig-31s, Flankers, F-5s etc. forever ugly with their much disturbing nose join lines.


Anyway, Tonka with so many liveries possible and sleeping Corgi product planning department looks like a real cash cow for HM.



Note:
does anybody maybe know why some models HM did make with that ugly central join line (Migs-31, Flankers, F-5s, Migs-15/17 etc.) and some models they were able to make with seam line neatly hidden on the bottom? (F-100, A-10, F-14, Harrier, F-111 ...)
Is there any rule? Technical reasons? Or is it just a bad instant decision in the beginning of product development?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladia View Post
Hi Max!
you are correct. The nose looks smaller because it is smaller. Had to make photoshop comparison by myself just to find out that you are completely and utterly right: HM´s Tornado nose is some 15 - 20 % shorter than it should be. It looks like HM successfully copied Corgi´s mistake. Oh dear. That´s very unfortunate.

Also with upward slope of the tail you are right.

And there´s more: pitot tube is not slanted down as on real Tornados for example. HM pitot tube is horizontal, real Tornados have them sloped down. Changes overall look of the model. One mistake more compared to Corgi as their pitot tube has downward angle correct...
See, now you have contradicted yourself.
wilkinss77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 03:53 AM   #9
Collector
 
max ji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: shanghai
Posts: 53
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Please don't misunderstand. Ladia and I often write letters to find information. We live on both ends of the globe (Prague / Shanghai). It is fortunate that we can become friends and learn from each other in different professional fields.
max ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 11:14 AM   #10
Bombcat
 
BlackAces's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Skokie
Posts: 91
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

I'm not as familiar with the Panavia tornado but do these changes in the nose reflect the IDS vs the GR1
BlackAces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 01:28 PM   #11
Master Collector
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: essex, england
Age: 61
Posts: 621
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAces View Post
I'm not as familiar with the Panavia tornado but do these changes in the nose reflect the IDS vs the GR1
They're the same- GR1 is the designation for the first version of the RAF's Tornado IDS.
wilkinss77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:16 AM   #12
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Miami
Posts: 612
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

We need more European fighters, H&M! thanks!

Now please make some rafale and gripen and mirage f1!
wildpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:39 AM   #13
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 45
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Yes, it is a great idea !
Ethan35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:04 AM   #14
Sukhoi Collector
 
plane737's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winchester
Age: 46
Posts: 1,993
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpig View Post
We need more European fighters, H&M! thanks!

Now please make some rafale and gripen and mirage f1!
I'll take Mirage F1's all day long!
plane737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM   #15
Master Collector
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: essex, england
Age: 61
Posts: 621
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpig View Post
We need more European fighters, H&M! thanks!

Now please make some rafale and gripen and mirage f1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by plane737 View Post
I'll take Mirage F1's all day long!
They won't, because they can't- the licence fee priced Dassault out of the market for HM. The only reason why they did a few new Mirage 2000 releases recently is because the distributors who asked for them paid the licence fee themselves.
wilkinss77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:45 PM   #16
Collector
 
theo78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 67
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

there is more market for the mirage 2000 then the rafale?... i guess so...
theo78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:44 AM   #17
Master Collector
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: essex, england
Age: 61
Posts: 621
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by theo78 View Post
there is more market for the mirage 2000 then the rafale?... i guess so...
No, HM just can't produce any more Dassault planes anymore, because the licence fee priced them out of the market after the Mirage 2000- & they can't even do any more of those.
wilkinss77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:22 AM   #18
Too many models! (1500+)
 
FortunateSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Honiara
Posts: 2,187
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
No, HM just can't produce any more Dassault planes anymore, because the licence fee priced them out of the market after the Mirage 2000- & they can't even do any more of those.
let's stop repeating this hobbymater lie, shall we?

that hm has issue with the license fee is clear. however, the other clear thing is that HM more than doubled the price of their mirages in the last few years and the last ones still sold even though they were arguably some of the poorest of all the releases. this strongly suggests that HM could have profitably just rolled this fee into the cost of their releases and probably still can. the crap dassault store models sell for about 50 euro. now, i have no doubt that there's some sort of corrupt sweetheart deal between whoever makes those and dassault, but even so the license fee is unlikely to be much more than 10 euro per copy.

would you, i, and everybody you know pay 10 euro over the current HM RRP for similar aircrat for a proper Mirage 2000D/N, Rafale, etc? OF COURSE.

moreover, somehow herpa is managing to produce a new tool 1/72 dassault/dornier alpha jet without issues. i certainly pre-ordered one even though its clearly not up to HM standards (from what I can tell, it's Herpa's best 1/72 mould, but that isnt saying very much and of course I havent actually seen it in the metal yet).
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:46 AM   #19
Master Collector
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: essex, england
Age: 61
Posts: 621
Default Re: Hobby Master Tornado NEW TOOLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post
let's stop repeating this hobbymater lie, shall we?

that hm has issue with the license fee is clear. however, the other clear thing is that HM more than doubled the price of their mirages in the last few years and the last ones still sold even though they were arguably some of the poorest of all the releases. this strongly suggests that HM could have profitably just rolled this fee into the cost of their releases and probably still can. the crap dassault store models sell for about 50 euro. now, i have no doubt that there's some sort of corrupt sweetheart deal between whoever makes those and dassault, but even so the license fee is unlikely to be much more than 10 euro per copy.

would you, i, and everybody you know pay 10 euro over the current HM RRP for similar aircrat for a proper Mirage 2000D/N, Rafale, etc? OF COURSE.


moreover, somehow herpa is managing to produce a new tool 1/72 dassault/dornier alpha jet without issues. i certainly pre-ordered one even though its clearly not up to HM standards (from what I can tell, it's Herpa's best 1/72 mould, but that isnt saying very much and of course I havent actually seen it in the metal yet).
Ok. So assuming that they could, why do HM still refuse to do any new Dassault planes, with William still claiming the licence fee as the reason not to do so?
wilkinss77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 AM.

Latest Threads
- by Ladia
- by ukjohna
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.