09-15-2019, 05:10 AM
Too many models! (1500+)
Join Date: Jun 2012
HM F-35A Photo/Etch upgrade
So, I was a wee bit ill over the last few days so i took the time to do a not-too-careful job adding some photo etch to HM's F-35A (the lakenheath USAF one).
I want to stress that I know this isn't a great job. But, it does improve the model somewhat. Sorry I dont have pics for all.
Here's what I did:
- Added 3 piecess at the top of teh seat (top/back, left and right)
- Added 4 total instrumentation pieces on left and right side pilot consoles
- Added main front screen display and left and right sub-displays
- Addded seat belts (badly)
- instead of using the photo-etch piece, re-glued and painted the (oversized) ejection handle at the base of the seat.
- Adding landing gear cables for the MLG
- Added the higher quality thing that may be a light of some sort on the nose gear
- Added bulkhead detail to the front of the nose gear bay
- Added and then removed deatail from the nose gear doors (it looked bad)
- Added and removed detail from the bottom of the canopy and handle on the inside (these looked worse than not having them)
This was all done using the eduard f35a self-adhensive photo etch set. The self-adhesive on mine had failed before arrival so i had to glue everything in.
I did not use a loupe (i should have but i couldnt be bothered). I was not super accurate (just killing time while ill). I did not paint super accurately.
Still, it looks much better than the stock cockpit. Nothing will solve the F35 bumps, but at least with a better cockpit the eyes are distracted a bit. I may get another set and do it more carefully on the HM F-35C which looks quite good actually.
There was little value on doing the underside items. but the cockpit improvements are nice.