DA.C

DA.C (https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/index.php)
-   Military Model Aircraft (https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/military-model-aircraft/)
-   -   AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the zinc (https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/military-model-aircraft/288786-ac1008-paper-tiger-ii-dac-exclusive-zinc.html)

tker76 01-12-2018 05:58 PM

AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the zinc
 
So my copy landed yesterday, and I couldnít be happier. Anyway, without further ado, here are the pictures:

https://i.imgur.com/D6STKvU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/SkYlpJX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/0X11F8f.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pc4K7uk.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/pV46SCF.jpg

See the missing frame between the canopies? AC have improved the mould and both cockpits now fully open, satisfying the criticisms those of us with extra fat fingers have levelled, as you may see below:

https://i.imgur.com/aIZti8z.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/07REf65.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/b1sY3eL.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/AEEZO8F.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/xbwLquA.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/33rAvGk.jpg

And with its stablemate:

https://i.imgur.com/8eiNS9P.jpg

I still used HM pilots as they fir better, while the AC tall chaps are perfect for filling HM A-1H/J cockpits, but thatís just the way I like to roll LOLLOLLOL

As you can see I set her up as a bomb truck, like ďSupersonic Gun KillĒ as no other F-4 offers the centreline bomb rack option and F-4s flew more missions hauling bombs than as fighters, so it seems apt; however, they full A2A weapons load is included too :D

I am very pleased indeed with this release, very pleased indeed. I need more shelf space though ha ha...

Now for something I personally find somewhat distasteful, but must be said due to the actions of former people now banned from DAC, my apologies to everyone who is normal and reasonable. I suppose the other forum has its own photos, but - in light of the recent insistence by a certain notorious ex-DAC member who posts there that ďtheirĒ images not be shared and their copyright be respected I am (despite being loath to do so as itís pretty petty/sad IMO) going to have to ask that mine also be respected and no images shared without my permission, in case anyone thought of doing so.

Furthermore, shoul I learn they have been shared I shall be forced to contact whichever site has used themís admin and demand removal, pursuing other recourse if that subsequently proves necessary. Honestly, I canít believe those guys are still so twisted up about being banned, but whatever.

tomcatter 01-12-2018 07:30 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
nice catch, monsieur tker. a query about the new canopy design though... is that the best fit or were you being over enthusiastic? looks awfully gappy tbh.

tker76 01-12-2018 07:50 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcatter (Post 2556322)
nice catch, monsieur tker. a query about the new canopy design though... is that the best fit or were you being over enthusiastic? looks awfully gappy tbh.

The fit was flush until I opened them up to fit the pilots: a little fiddling will get them properly seated again (note the pics from before I opened the cockpit canopies...)

QC on mine is actually very nice indeed: WRT to gaps mea culpa :(

tim_1/72 01-12-2018 08:46 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Tker you're a member of both forums so you can check out that post for what it says. As far as banned individuals stating that their pics are not to be shared in any way shape or form without their consent, there was no such request at least to my knowledge. When I deliberately chose not to share pics/posts of certain banned members, that's strictly on my behalf. I was never asked not to. To your point though, I guess posts with the word Exclusive may kind of imply that, but just for the record I've not come across banned individuals specifically making such requests. I can't speak for anyone else though. Personally for me, I couldn't care less if anyone used my pics but if some people don't want theirs being used without their consent, then that's their business just like it's your business if you don't want yours to be used. I'm not gonna start copyrighting my pics just because some individual copyrighted his. Why not take the moral highground. And also you don't have to view it as a forum vs forum thing. I'm a member of both just like you so I rip the benefits of both places. I got an early access to an exclusive review of Calibre's upcoming F-14s from the other forum, so what's stopping you or any of you from doing the same. Just like there may be threads/pics/any info here that's not present in the other forum or somewhere else, I can go to this site and view it and why shouldn't I. I sometimes even end up in French and Chinese forums. Why limit yourself. There's good and bad to be had in any place. At the end of the day it all boils down to the models we wanna add to our collection

tker76 01-12-2018 08:58 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_1/72 (Post 2556378)
Tker you're a member of both forums so you can check out that post for what it says. As far as banned individuals stating that their pics are not to be shared in any way shape or form without their consent, there was no such request at least to my knowledge. When I deliberately chose not to share pics/posts of certain banned members, that's strictly on my behalf. I was never asked not to. To your point though, I guess posts with the word Exclusive may kind of imply that, but just for the record I've not come across banned individuals specifically making such requests. I can't speak for anyone else though. Personally for me, I couldn't care less if anyone used my pics but if some people don't want theirs being used without their consent, then that's their business just like it's your business if you don't want yours to be used. I'm not gonna start copyrighting my pics just because some individual copyrighted his. Why not take the moral highground. And also you don't have to view it as a forum vs forum thing. I'm a member of both just like you so I rip the benefits of both places. I got an early access to an exclusive review of Calibre's upcoming F-14s from the other forum, so what's stopping you or any of you from doing the same. Just like there may be threads/pics/any info here that's not present in the other forum or somewhere else, I can go to this site and view it and why shouldn't I. I sometimes even end up in French and Chinese forums. Why limit yourself. There's good and bad to be had in any place.

It seems I may have misunderstood the situation and am happy to withdraw the copyright nonsense - if that is the case... As I hope my phrasing made clear I found it personally distasteful and would rather it were not so; however, the former person to whom we are both referring does have a history of being petty at times and so my confusion may hopefully be forgiven (remember all the double posts when other members posted HM news before him, which was what dragged me into the whole kerfuffle insofar as I was involved? That was just pathetic...)

I am a member there, but whilst I was never banned certain individuals made it pretty clear my presence was not welcome (the self-appointed forum bosses, who not coincidentally have been banned here, ďthe brothersĒ as they laughably referred to themselves) and hence I have not been to the site since, being more than happy with the content and discussion here as well as the other excellent resources we all enjoy from the manus themselves and people like HawkOne with HobbyMasterCollector.com and certainly happy enough to not need to go where I am unwelcome.

Anyway, long story short I donít care about copyright or exclusivity if nobody else is claiming marketing materials as exclusive and would like to thank you for clearing that up :D

tim_1/72 01-12-2018 09:13 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tker76 (Post 2556386)
It seems I may have misunderstood the situation and am happy to withdraw the copyright nonsense - if that is the case... As I hope my phrasing made clear I found it personally distasteful and would rather it were not so; however, the former person to whom we are both referring does have a history of being petty at times and so my confusion may hopefully be forgiven (remember all the double posts when other members posted HM news before him, which was what dragged me into the whole kerfuffle insofar as I was involved? That was just pathetic...)

I am a member there, but whilst I was never banned certain individuals made it pretty clear my presence was not welcome (the self-appointed forum bosses, who not coincidentally have been banned here, ďthe brothersĒ as they laughably referred to themselves) and hence I have not been to the site since, being more than happy with the content and discussion here as well as the other excellent resources we all enjoy from the manus themselves and people like HawkOne with HobbyMasterCollector.com and certainly happy enough to not need to go where I am unwelcome.

Anyway, long story short I donít care about copyright or exclusivity if nobody else is claiming marketing materials as exclusive and would like to thank you for clearing that up :D

Yes I'm aware of what took place and it's unfortunate that things ended up the way the did but I'm glad we sorted out this matter at least. It's all good then :D If I were you though, I'd still visit the other place. Maybe just create another account and change your name to kter67 and maybe use a Canadian flag for your avatar just not to arouse any suspicion. :D

tker76 01-12-2018 09:26 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tim_1/72 (Post 2556410)
yes i'm aware of what took place and it's unfortunate that things ended up the way the did but i'm glad we sorted out this matter at least. It's all good then :d if i were you though, i'd still visit the other place. Maybe just create another account and change your name to kter67 and maybe use a canadian flag for your avatar just not to arouse any suspicion. :d

Ha ha, yes that should cover me!

Shawn507 01-12-2018 10:35 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Not sure the separate center piece for the cockpit is a good idea. Getting spares from AC is next to impossible. And god forbid they send a model out missing that piece.

tomcatter 01-12-2018 10:39 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
my apologies for going off topic but all the talk about exclusivity and multiple forums reminds me of a time when some individuals thought that i had exclusive use of the nick "tomcatter" and insisted that i was also in the other forum simply because a user registered himself as "tomcatter". it wouldn't have been so tragically humorous had that member not presumed that he knew me better than myself LOL

but back to topic, glad to know the canopy actually fits flush. i haven't exactly been actively looking but i'd get this if i do come across a reasonably priced one. looks good.

tker76 01-12-2018 10:40 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawn507 (Post 2556450)
Not sure the separate center piece for the cockpit is a good idea. Getting spares from AC is next to impossible. And god forbid they send a model out missing that piece.

That occurred to me (basically because until I realised they had changed the design I had a moment of panic that I was missing a piece and worried about how I might resolve it!); they have solved the back cockpit access issue though...

Shawn507 01-12-2018 11:32 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tker76 (Post 2556466)
That occurred to me (basically because until I realised they had changed the design I had a moment of panic that I was missing a piece and worried about how I might resolve it!); they have solved the back cockpit access issue though...

Never had an issue putting the HM crews in there. Maybe its fixed, I just don't think that was the best solution.

FortunateSon 01-13-2018 05:24 AM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
I have one on pre-order - i gotta say, to my eye Paper Tiger looks... just ok. Thrilled with the AC finish on the Navy birds, but this one just doesn't look right to me. Might be better with some weapons on and of course in the metal. I have one on pre-order I guess I'll get it before too long. Maybe it's because I don't particularly love the livery (as opposed to say Arkansas Traveller). Will see what I want to do with it once I get it in the flesh.

majorfatal 01-13-2018 08:59 AM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Thanks to share the pict.....It look good!

Ukrainian_Falcons 01-13-2018 07:29 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
I'm surprised no one has ever comments about the nose, why it has to be a seperate piece when HM can do it as one.

I guess that's because HMs nose section is plastic while AirCom's is metal up to the probe section.

Overall details blow HMs away, this looks like a collector piece.

Shawn507 01-13-2018 07:34 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
I never liked the separate nose piece. Others overlook it because of all those stencils they love reading with a magnifying glass.

Ukrainian_Falcons 01-13-2018 07:44 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
I guess your right, so all HM need to do is add that level of stencils and would ppl still buy AirCom ? The gears would still be better on the AirCom.

Shawn507 01-14-2018 02:38 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
I've never really had issues with the HM MLG.

Adour 01-14-2018 03:20 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Always nice to see a happy collector.

Good to see that AC have done some work on the canopy function, not totally convinced of their solution though.

Now, can they please fix the appalling nose shape on their short-nose Phantoms?

tker76 01-14-2018 03:23 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Not having had issues with HM doesn’t mean AC isn’t better, WRT MLG...

I have had a few HM F-4 MLG sir a bit precariously, but overall I agree HM’s Spooks are great; likewise WRT the canopy I have always used HM crew with no drama, but stilll think it’s good AC addressed the perceived issue: I guess I just like Phantoms LOL

tomcatter 01-14-2018 08:38 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tker76 (Post 2557874)
Not having had issues with HM doesnít mean AC isnít better, WRT MLG...

I have had a few HM F-4 MLG sir a bit precariously, but overall I agree HMís Spooks are great; likewise WRT the canopy I have always used HM crew with no drama, but stilll think itís good AC addressed the perceived issue: I guess I just like Phantoms LOL

and they don't take up as much precious display real estate as other modern day jets do, eh? ;)

NeedMorePlanes 01-15-2018 12:29 AM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
When I got mine the entire nose before the canopy fell off. It was heavy. Fixed it with a bit of super glue, no harm done.

robertjon5 01-19-2018 02:07 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
FLYING TIGERS now has these IN STOCK!!!!!!!!!!!! So mine will be here middle next week.

AC1008 Air Commander F-4E ‘Paper Tiger’ 67-0268, 35th TFS,388th TFW, USAF, 1972

PRICE: £109.99 incl VAT (RRP £140.00, SAVING £30.01)

In stock


BUY THIS MODEL

https://s.w.org/images/core/emoji/2.3/svg/1f50d.svg https://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/wp-c...er-960x272.jpghttps://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/wp-c...aper-tiger.jpg
https://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/wp-c...8a-760x471.jpg
https://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/wp-c...8B-760x345.jpg
https://www.flying-tigers.co.uk/wp-c...er-760x215.jpg



Now in stock !
Air Commander 1/72nd Scale
AC1008
F-4E
‘Paper Tiger’
67-0268
35th TFS
388th TFW
USAF
1972

robertjon5 01-24-2018 04:14 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
mine was waiting for me when I got home tonight!:):):)


http://i1035.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2mkmueeq.jpg

American Werewolf 01-24-2018 04:36 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
I've had this beauty on pre-order since September. Apparently, it's not available in the U.S. (via the Flying Mule) until March at the earliest! I have noticed that we in the States are usually behind you Brits to get new releases... but 2 months?! What the heck is that all about?

robertjon5 01-24-2018 04:41 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by American Werewolf (Post 2566234)
I've had this beauty on pre-order since September. Apparently, it's not available in the U.S. (via the Flying Mule) until March at the earliest! I have noticed that we in the States are usually behind you Brits to get new releases... but 2 months?! What the heck is that all about?

Think you will find like most models its the shipping route. CHINA + HONG KONG get them first. then on to EUROPE/U.K a few weeks later. then U.S a few weeks after that, and finally Canada. and its only 5 weeks till march. must say wasn't expecting this to arrive till towards end of NEXT month!!

tomcatter 01-24-2018 07:48 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
it's a slow boat to the greatest country in the world. oh wait what? the diecasts are MADE IN CHINA? damn! LOL

Ukrainian_Falcons 01-24-2018 08:21 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcatter (Post 2566346)
it's a slow boat to the greatest country in the world. oh wait what? the diecasts are MADE IN CHINA? damn! LOL

Tell me about it :( So annoying being a collector in Oz, having China basically next door, half the population is Chinese :rolleyes: and yet it takes just as long as half way around the world to woop woop

tomcatter 01-24-2018 08:43 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ukrainian_Falcons (Post 2566378)
Tell me about it :( So annoying being a collector in Oz, having China basically next door, half the population is Chinese :rolleyes: and yet it takes just as long as half way around the world to woop woop

nah... it's not a nationwide phenomenon, just your household. well at least you get free avics from them...

oh come on, you guys are like in a different hemisphere altogether LOL

American Werewolf 01-25-2018 12:52 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcatter (Post 2566346)
it's a slow boat to the greatest country in the world. oh wait what? the diecasts are MADE IN CHINA? damn! LOL

Oh, c'mon, haven't you guys heard? it's America First now! :D

tker76 01-25-2018 04:54 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by American Werewolf (Post 2566794)
Oh, c'mon, haven't you guys heard? it's America First now! :D

Thatís perhaps the problem: trade from China was what The President said heíd stamp out...

Yes, the deficit may be its worst ever ratio, but perhaps, somehow, he has at least opened the door for a reinvigorated American diecast industry by blocking these AC Spooks, if nothing else?

tomcatter 01-25-2018 08:55 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tker76 (Post 2566914)
Thatís perhaps the problem: trade from China was what The President said heíd stamp out...

Yes, the deficit may be its worst ever ratio, but perhaps, somehow, he has at least opened the door for a reinvigorated American diecast industry by blocking these AC Spooks, if nothing else?

yeah, i mean, like these are us jets we're talking about. what business has china making them, replicas or otherwise? the phantom f-4 should remain american... even replicas. the us business community should rise to the occasion and keep american jets on american soil where they belong. there are huge diecasts factories in america... huge. in fact they're so huge they could build actual planes if they wanted to. why can't we have them making diecast models instead? :D

tker76 01-26-2018 12:07 AM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcatter (Post 2567050)
yeah, i mean, like these are us jets we're talking about. what business has china making them, replicas or otherwise? the phantom f-4 should remain american... even replicas. the us business community should rise to the occasion and keep american jets on american soil where they belong. there are huge diecasts factories in america... huge. in fact they're so huge they could build actual planes if they wanted to. why can't we have them making diecast models instead? :D

Exactly.

Quote:

Diecast models of American planes being made in Chinese factories.

Sad.
(As el Presidente would tweet...)

tomcatter 01-26-2018 02:45 AM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tker76 (Post 2567082)
(As el Presidente would tweet...)

good one! had me in stitches, this! LOL LOL LOL

tigers747 03-13-2018 09:09 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Well Just assembled this F4 and it really is as nice as most say it is! How ever....that slender
center canopy piece was a problem getting it to fit. It looked like mine was a slight bit warped? I did get it to work but about 40 minutes of messing with it and worried it would snap which it did not. Now, canopy open that item left off so in fact you are missing a section of the canopy to display open? What? Or did I miss something? Anyhow elected canopy closed as a result and there is slight mismatch between sections but hardly noticeable . For the money I would prefer AC enclose 2 canopies for the 2 versions.

tker76 03-13-2018 11:37 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
I agree: with regards to the canopies the HM design is superior and for the price AC demand it’s scarcely that much to ask.

Personally I always got the pilots in prior to the redesign anyway, so didn’t need a fiddly part to lose to replace the fiddliness of putting the crew in place.

Overall though I still love my AC Spooks. Glad to hear you’re happy with yours too :D

American Werewolf 03-14-2018 12:04 AM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigers747 (Post 2594825)
Well Just assembled this F4 and it really is as nice as most say it is! How ever.... Now, canopy open that item left off so in fact you are missing a section of the canopy to display open? What? Or did I miss something?

Huh, is that true? :eek:

tker76 03-14-2018 12:16 AM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by American Werewolf (Post 2594898)
Huh, is that true? :eek:

Nope you put the middle section in place for either open or closed, unless I am misunderstanding something here?

tomcatter 03-14-2018 03:02 AM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tker76 (Post 2594914)
Nope you put the middle section in place for either open or closed, unless I am misunderstanding something here?

that's what i would've thought too... although tbh, i'm concerned about losing that piece.

OnlyWayToFly 03-14-2018 04:45 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by American Werewolf (Post 2594898)
Huh, is that true? :eek:

My experience with the new center canopy piece on this model was very disappointing.

It fit well as delivered (i.e., with both canopies closed). But when I tried to open the canopies, the raised forward canopy hit the center piece before the forward canopy could be raised to the correct angle.

To correctly position the open forward canopy, I had to cut the mounting tabs off the center piece and then glue it about one millimeter to the rear of where it would have been if it were mounted using the tabs and slots.

IMO, this would be a better model if AC used the same approach HM uses to their F-4 canopies (i.e., provides a one-piece component that combines the raised forward canopy with the center piece) for those who want to display the model with canopies up.

Adour 03-14-2018 05:09 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tker76 (Post 2556234)
I still used HM pilots as they fir better, while the AC tall chaps are perfect for filling HM A-1H/J cockpits, but thatís just the way I like to roll LOLLOLLOL

Thread drift alert.

At one point I was thinking of sticking Corgi helicopter pilots into the Skyraiders. So far as I can tell, those guys rarely wore oxygen masks.

American Werewolf 03-15-2018 02:29 AM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by OnlyWayToFly (Post 2595474)
My experience with the new center canopy piece on this model was very disappointing.

It fit well as delivered (i.e., with both canopies closed). But when I tried to open the canopies, the raised forward canopy hit the center piece before the forward canopy could be raised to the correct angle.

To correctly position the open forward canopy, I had to cut the mounting tabs off the center piece and then glue it about one millimeter to the rear of where it would have been if it were mounted using the tabs and slots.

IMO, this would be a better model if AC used the same approach HM uses to their F-4 canopies (i.e., provides a one-piece component that combines the raised forward canopy with the center piece) for those who want to display the model with canopies up.

Unfortunately that sounds like it might be the only way to make the canopies look semi-correct in the open position. The attached pic from an online seller sure doesn't look right!

tker76 03-15-2018 03:44 AM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by American Werewolf (Post 2595746)
Unfortunately that sounds like it might be the only way to make the canopies look semi-correct in the open position. The attached pic from an online seller sure doesn't look right!

Lucky you only collect one of each type and already own a Spook so you donít have to stress LOL

American Werewolf 03-15-2018 12:10 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tker76 (Post 2595762)
Lucky you only collect one of each type and already own a Spook so you donít have to stress LOL

No, I returned my previous AC Spook to the retailer, so this is the one I'm stuck with now.

tigers747 03-15-2018 07:11 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
OK one more time on that center section. I have not done this because I think chances are you could over pressure that piece but the only way I see to have open canopy correct is to open them and then ease the center section in to place. It is tight in there. With the center section pressed in and then trying to open the front canopy it catches on the center section. Just over all a poor design on AC's part.

American Werewolf 03-15-2018 07:35 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigers747 (Post 2596354)
OK one more time on that center section. I have not done this because I think chances are you could over pressure that piece but the only way I see to have open canopy correct is to open them and then ease the center section in to place. It is tight in there. With the center section pressed in and then trying to open the front canopy it catches on the center section. Just over all a poor design on AC's part.

Yeah, that makes sense, that's how I would attempt it, anyway. I do prefer the open canopy display without those nearly-impossible-to-fit-in crew. I wonder if filing down the two edges of the middle piece a smidge where they sit onto the fuselage would help—not sure if it has tiny tabs there that fit into slots of the fuselage or not... looks like it might. Would need to snip off those tabs and file the bottom edges down 1/32" or so? Might help. I haven't attempted this yet. Anybody wanna be the guinea pig? :o

OnlyWayToFly 03-15-2018 10:08 PM

Re: AC1008 Paper Tiger II - DAC exclusive in the z
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tigers747 (Post 2596354)
OK one more time on that center section. I have not done this because I think chances are you could over pressure that piece but the only way I see to have open canopy correct is to open them and then ease the center section in to place. It is tight in there. With the center section pressed in and then trying to open the front canopy it catches on the center section. Just over all a poor design on AC's part.

Unfortunately, that didn't work on my model. If you first open the forward canopy, it's impossible to place the center piece (due to not enough room existing under the aft end of the forward canopy). And if the center piece is correctly positioned, the forward canopy can only be raised about half as far as it needs to be for the correct open position.

And you're right about the danger of over-pressuring the center piece. It's relatively easy to deform it or break it.

The only thing that worked on my model was to remove the tabs on the center piece and then glue it a bit to the rear of when it would have been with the tabs in the slots.

It's a lousy design - the dimensions of the canopy parts are obviously incorrect.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.