WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help! - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:47 AM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Arrow WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

So up until now I've stuck to collecting post-WWII birds, but I decided to do a little research on the WWII stuff with a view to starting a collection in the not too distant future. From what I can tell HM and Corgi have most of them covered between them, and they've mostly managed to avoid releasing the same models; however, I noticed there are some that were released by both, and I wondered which manu does the best version of the following:

Bristol Beaufighter
Boston (Havoc)
Douglas SBD Dauntless
Grumman Avenger
Grumman Hellcat
Junkers Ju-87

A few other questions:

Has either manu released the Ki-43, N1K, Hayate, IL-2, Pe-2, or the Yak-3?
Are there any other manus that do as good a job as HM and Corgi?
Are there any particular models to avoid or look out for?
Any other advice?

Any advice appreciated, no matter how small.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-15-2016, 12:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: london
Posts: 668
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

The Beaufighter and Boston have only been released by HM. Both decent moulds, though the Beaufighter's undercarriage is poor and blocky, but it's just a minor thing. The RAF version of it is hampered by poor camo colours, the brown is far too light, but again if that doesn't put you off then it's a lovely model. The Boston is a cracker, the only shame is that the cockpit detailing is non-existent, but something I can live with. Getting harder to find as well now, but some nice schemes out there.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: london
Posts: 668
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

The other 4 are done by both, but are the same mould if I remember. Corgi have their own Ju87 mould as well, the earlier marks of the bird, and it's a very nice rendition. Some excellent and varied schemes, the latest Battle of Britain one was excellent.

HM and Corgi also released a later mark version at roughly the same time. HM under its own brand name and Corgi under its Predator name. Very similar schemes, the early HM ones are hampered by a lack of tail swastika and comes in a form of a decal for you to put on yourself. The tank buster Predator ones are fantastic, very nice indeed, but again I prefer Corgi's, as their camouflage seems more refined to me.

HM did a FAA Hellcat which is very nice in my eyes, I'm not too familiar with the plane, so others might have a more critical eye. The Predator FAA Avenger again suffers with some day glow roundels if my memory serves me right, but again, I like it and have it in the collection.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-15-2016, 01:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
The Beaufighter and Boston have only been released by HM.
I stand corrected!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
Both decent moulds, though the Beaufighter's undercarriage is poor and blocky, but it's just a minor thing. The RAF version of it is hampered by poor camo colours, the brown is far too light, but again if that doesn't put you off then it's a lovely model.
Yeah the colours look a little too bright for me - it just doesn't look right, which is a shame.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
The other 4 are done by both, but are the same mould if I remember. Corgi have their own Ju87 mould as well, the earlier marks of the bird, and it's a very nice rendition. Some excellent and varied schemes, the latest Battle of Britain one was excellent.

HM and Corgi also released a later mark version at roughly the same time. HM under its own brand name and Corgi under its Predator name. Very similar schemes, the early HM ones are hampered by a lack of tail swastika and comes in a form of a decal for you to put on yourself. The tank buster Predator ones are fantastic, very nice indeed, but again I prefer Corgi's, as their camouflage seems more refined to me.

HM did a FAA Hellcat which is very nice in my eyes, I'm not too familiar with the plane, so others might have a more critical eye. The Predator FAA Avenger again suffers with some day glow roundels if my memory serves me right, but again, I like it and have it in the collection.
Love the Ju-87, so was hoping to grab a decent scheme - looks like I missed out on the BoB one; or at least I have if I want it new from a retailer.

Thanks for the replies, Grizz - much appreciated.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: london
Posts: 668
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

No worries, honestly the Corgi early Ju87's are always popping up on eBay for reasonable prices (barring one seller who charges insane prices), just be patient. What's your theme? I love the North African one with the snake motif down the side of the fuselage.
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 02:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Wildblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Staffordshire (United Kingdom)
Posts: 893
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
So up until now I've stuck to collecting post-WWII birds, but I decided to do a little research on the WWII stuff with a view to starting a collection in the not too distant future. From what I can tell HM and Corgi have most of them covered between them, and they've mostly managed to avoid releasing the same models; however, I noticed there are some that were released by both, and I wondered which manu does the best version of the following:

Bristol Beaufighter
Boston (Havoc)
Douglas SBD Dauntless
Grumman Avenger
Grumman Hellcat
Junkers Ju-87

A few other questions:

Has either manu released the Ki-43, N1K, Hayate, IL-2, Pe-2, or the Yak-3?
Are there any other manus that do as good a job as HM and Corgi?
Are there any particular models to avoid or look out for?
Any other advice?

Any advice appreciated, no matter how small.
Unfortunately no. There are no 1/72 diecast Pe-2's (to my knowledge) and the Il-2 is limited to the IXO mould. You are probably going to have to focus on the likes of IXO/Altaya and Oxford ranges for Soviet/Japanese types, in the main.

Dragon is another potential manufacturer worth a look (especially FW190's) if you can find any up for sale?

HM & Corgi both produce the Bf110. I've got a "Waspen" Eastern Front release from both (HA1811 & AA38506). I prefer the Corgi version due to the better scheme/paint job. But it is personal preference. In the UK you are liable to pay a lot more for the Corgi.

Corgi AA38506 - Bf 110 Diecast Model, Luftwaffe KG 210, Russian Front, 1941

Bf 110E 1:72 Diecast Model - Hobby Master HM-HA1811 - $69.99

P.S- I've also got the first Corgi Ju 87 which is very nice-

Corgi AA32501 - Ju 87 Stuka Diecast Model, Luftwaffe 3./StG 2 Immelmann, St.Malo, France

But I do have a soft spot for my FoV Ju-87 purely for the winter scheme-

Forces of Valor 1:72 "GERMAN Ju87B-2 St.G 1 STUKA" Eastern Front 1943 RARE! | eBay

__________________
If at first you don't succeed......have you selected the correct ordinance!?
Wildblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 03:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Jaded Collector
 
Adour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Home at last, crewing can s¥€<%#*
Posts: 539
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Bristol Beaufighter
Boston (Havoc)
Douglas SBD Dauntless
Grumman Avenger
Grumman Hellcat
Junkers Ju-87

A few other questions:

Has either manu released the Ki-43, N1K, Hayate, IL-2, Pe-2, or the Yak-3?
Are there any other manus that do as good a job as HM and Corgi?
Are there any particular models to avoid or look out for?
Any other advice?
Adding to what's already been said:
Beaufighter: Personally I think their nightfighter variants are the most accurate (Mk IF and VIF). If you get HA2302, the Cunningham nightfighter, you'll need to contact William directly to get the correct prop spinners. Cam colours on '08, '13, '14 and '15 are questionable.
Boston: if you're concerned about the bright green patches on some releases, they're correct for "fresh off the production line".
Hellcat: Dragon are also worth a look.
Ju-87: depends what era you're after. Corgi's most recent BoB is very nice.
Il-2: the best seems to be Easy Model (yep, not diecast but the IXO, whilst weighty is very inaccurate).

Dragon's USN fighters and P-51Ds are worth a look, their Spits are garbage. Their 190s have easily fixable but obvious defects (missing Swazis, retracted tailwheel length, seat armour).
Gemini's P-51B/Cs and 109Fs are quite nice.
Corgi's early no dihedral Spits are best avoided. Gemini had nice Spits but some questionable colours, and some releases have the prop on back to front (!).
Adour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 04:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Eagle_Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 1,671
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Yes there was a time when HM and Corgi shared the same mold. There's also a "conspiracy theory" HM made the P-38 tooling for Corgi. Can't remember if the two had a falling out.

The Bf 110 isn't a shared mold though and while both Corgi and HM toolings are good, the nose radar "antlers" on the HM are significantly over-scale. Corgi got round the problem with a PE version instead of HM's plastic.

Here are some pics of the Corgi 110 nightfighter. Mottling on the camo isn't too bad on the Corgi model and generally horrible on the HM.

http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...schnaufer.html

Corgi are also good for WWII heavy bombers - Lancaster, Stirling, B-17, Halifax. Sunderland is good too. HM can't do 'em because they're too big for their production line.

Avenger pics
http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...uss-essex.html

Last edited by Eagle_Flyer; 11-15-2016 at 05:04 PM.
Eagle_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 05:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 359
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

There is a lot of talk about HM and Corgi, but don't overlook Dragon's WWII models. Many of them are very good and can be found for reasonable prices (except for maybe the P-51). Their Corsair, Wildcat, Hellcat, Zero and P-47 (which I consider their finest model) are great. Dragon's Stuka and 262 are also nice but lack historical markings.
Kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Collector
 
LeoQu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 149
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!



I researched the Ju-87s before getting one. I actually thought both looked great, giving a slight edge to Corgi for doing the personally more iconic B model, and the fact it has a crew installed. I decided to wait it out and see if a good deal came along. I got the winter scheme D model from Skinner for a deal.

I think getting particular cheapo models isn't a bad idea, I am thinking about a F4U Corsair from Easy Model since the value to quality ratio is good.

I was looking at model Me-262s, but neither Corgi, IXO, Dragon do it for me.
LeoQu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildblood View Post
Unfortunately no. There are no 1/72 diecast Pe-2's (to my knowledge) and the Il-2 is limited to the IXO mould. You are probably going to have to focus on the likes of IXO/Altaya and Oxford ranges for Soviet/Japanese types, in the main.

Dragon is another potential manufacturer worth a look (especially FW190's) if you can find any up for sale?

HM & Corgi both produce the Bf110. I've got a "Waspen" Eastern Front release from both (HA1811 & AA38506). I prefer the Corgi version due to the better scheme/paint job. But it is personal preference. In the UK you are liable to pay a lot more for the Corgi.

Corgi AA38506 - Bf 110 Diecast Model, Luftwaffe KG 210, Russian Front, 1941

Bf 110E 1:72 Diecast Model - Hobby Master HM-HA1811 - $69.99

P.S- I've also got the first Corgi Ju 87 which is very nice-

Corgi AA32501 - Ju 87 Stuka Diecast Model, Luftwaffe 3./StG 2 Immelmann, St.Malo, France

But I do have a soft spot for my FoV Ju-87 purely for the winter scheme-

Forces of Valor 1:72 "GERMAN Ju87B-2 St.G 1 STUKA" Eastern Front 1943 RARE! | eBay

Many thanks! The Corgi 110 definitely looks the better of the two in those images. I like that Corgi Stuka, too.

Are Dragon's FW190s better than Corgi's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adour View Post
Adding to what's already been said:
Beaufighter: Personally I think their nightfighter variants are the most accurate (Mk IF and VIF). If you get HA2302, the Cunningham nightfighter, you'll need to contact William directly to get the correct prop spinners. Cam colours on '08, '13, '14 and '15 are questionable.
Boston: if you're concerned about the bright green patches on some releases, they're correct for "fresh off the production line".
Hellcat: Dragon are also worth a look.
Ju-87: depends what era you're after. Corgi's most recent BoB is very nice.
Il-2: the best seems to be Easy Model (yep, not diecast but the IXO, whilst weighty is very inaccurate).

Dragon's USN fighters and P-51Ds are worth a look, their Spits are garbage. Their 190s have easily fixable but obvious defects (missing Swazis, retracted tailwheel length, seat armour).
Gemini's P-51B/Cs and 109Fs are quite nice.
Corgi's early no dihedral Spits are best avoided. Gemini had nice Spits but some questionable colours, and some releases have the prop on back to front (!).
Funny you should comment about the Boston - the bright green that I saw in some images did put me off a little!

I found an old post on here about the older Corgi spits, and have noted down that AA39201 onwards (though avoiding AA39205) are ok - does that tally with what you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_Flyer View Post
Yes there was a time when HM and Corgi shared the same mold. There's also a "conspiracy theory" HM made the P-38 tooling for Corgi. Can't remember if the two had a falling out.

The Bf 110 isn't a shared mold though and while both Corgi and HM toolings are good, the nose radar "antlers" on the HM are significantly over-scale. Corgi got round the problem with a PE version instead of HM's plastic.

Here are some pics of the Corgi 110 nightfighter. Mottling on the camo isn't too bad on the Corgi model and generally horrible on the HM.

http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...schnaufer.html

Corgi are also good for WWII heavy bombers - Lancaster, Stirling, B-17, Halifax. Sunderland is good too. HM can't do 'em because they're too big for their production line.

Avenger pics
http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...uss-essex.html
Thanks, EF. Useful info on the 110. The reviews on the Corgi website of the latest Lancaster (AA32624) comment on the poor accuracy of the model; what are the ones before like? Any that you know of to avoid or look out for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruse View Post
There is a lot of talk about HM and Corgi, but don't overlook Dragon's WWII models. Many of them are very good and can be found for reasonable prices (except for maybe the P-51). Their Corsair, Wildcat, Hellcat, Zero and P-47 (which I consider their finest model) are great. Dragon's Stuka and 262 are also nice but lack historical markings.
A few mentions of Dragon models in this thread so I will be sure to check them out. They weren't even on my radar, but will check them out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoQu View Post

I researched the Ju-87s before getting one. I actually thought both looked great, giving a slight edge to Corgi for doing the personally more iconic B model, and the fact it has a crew installed. I decided to wait it out and see if a good deal came along. I got the winter scheme D model from Skinner for a deal.

I think getting particular cheapo models isn't a bad idea, I am thinking about a F4U Corsair from Easy Model since the value to quality ratio is good.

I was looking at model Me-262s, but neither Corgi, IXO, Dragon do it for me.
That winter scheme one looks decent.

Just had a quick look at the Corsair and it doesn't look too bad from the images; also saw a really nice refinished one. It was one of my favourite plastic models as a kid so it's definitely on the list.

Thanks to all for the advice - very much appreciated.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:46 AM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Are the Air Force 1 models any good? Was looking at a Flying Fortress yesterday that looked reasonable, though it's hard to tell from images alone.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:50 AM   #14 (permalink)
Jaded Collector
 
Adour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Home at last, crewing can s¥€<%#*
Posts: 539
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
I found an old post on here about the older Corgi spits, and have noted down that AA39201 onwards (though avoiding AA39205) are ok - does that tally with what you know?
Sort of. That's true of what we used to call "Baby Spits" on BBMF (Mk I through V). Their Griffin engined ones are pretty good depending on personal taste. My favourite was the Ted Powles PR Mk XIX. I also liked the VIIIs and IXs, but I think that the "experten" gave them a slating. See what you think of them.
Adour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sartrouvile
Posts: 265
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

For the ju87 I like a lot the corgi specially in desert camo




Corgi Aviation Archive Collector Series AA32504
Junkers Ju 87B

Corgi Aviation Archive Collector Series AA32502
Junkers Ju 87R
majorfatal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 359
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

AA32504 was actually one of my very first models and the very first Stuka in my collection.

I wish Corgi would attempt more dramatic paint schemes like that, especially on a 262.
Kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Wildblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Staffordshire (United Kingdom)
Posts: 893
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
Are the Air Force 1 models any good? Was looking at a Flying Fortress yesterday that looked reasonable, though it's hard to tell from images alone.
There has been an extensive discussion on the Model Hanger 3 forum. My advice would be if you can afford it go Corgi, but you will be paying more (in some cases, such as Bit o' Lace, a LOT more!).

Really depends how many Flying Fortress you want to get?

AF1 are generally best avoiding for anything other than their Su 35, P61, and B17s.
__________________
If at first you don't succeed......have you selected the correct ordinance!?
Wildblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Eagle_Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 1,671
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
The reviews on the Corgi website of the latest Lancaster (AA32624) comment on the poor accuracy of the model; what are the ones before like? Any that you know of to avoid or look out for?
Ah, the Lanc that should have been and wasn't Corgi Lanc's usually tend to be quite excellent and a case of asking what versions are the very "best". I had Admiral Prune and S for Sugar, both are great models in my opinion. Others to consider are Johnny Walker, Phantom of the Ruhr, Leonard Cheshire.

There were a few that have the "reversed camo" error. G for George is one I recall and the Pathfinder is another. Funny thing is, most agree the build quality is very good if it wasn't for that error. It wouldn't be wrong to buy them if the error doesn't bother you.
Eagle_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 359
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Just sold my G for George to an Australian collector--I don't think they mind.
Kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:40 PM   #20 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Eagle_Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 1,671
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruse View Post
Just sold my G for George to an Australian collector--I don't think they mind.
Yes I think they will be happy with their new add.
Eagle_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:30 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: essex, england
Age: 62
Posts: 668
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
Many thanks! The Corgi 110 definitely looks the better of the two in those images. I like that Corgi Stuka, too.

Are Dragon's FW190s better than Corgi's?



Funny you should comment about the Boston - the bright green that I saw in some images did put me off a little!

I found an old post on here about the older Corgi spits, and have noted down that AA39201 onwards (though avoiding AA39205) are ok - does that tally with what you know?



Thanks, EF. Useful info on the 110. The reviews on the Corgi website of the latest Lancaster (AA32624) comment on the poor accuracy of the model; what are the ones before like? Any that you know of to avoid or look out for?



A few mentions of Dragon models in this thread so I will be sure to check them out. They weren't even on my radar, but will check them out now.



That winter scheme one looks decent.

Just had a quick look at the Corsair and it doesn't look too bad from the images; also saw a really nice refinished one. It was one of my favourite plastic models as a kid so it's definitely on the list.

Thanks to all for the advice - very much appreciated.
Corgi's 190s are better than Dragon's- Dragon omit the headrest in the rear canopy, & it sticks out like a sore thumb. & the tailwheel only has a 'down' position.
Many of the Dragon Corsairs are very hard to get.
wilkinss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 04:35 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: essex, england
Age: 62
Posts: 668
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_Flyer View Post
Yes there was a time when HM and Corgi shared the same mold. There's also a "conspiracy theory" HM made the P-38 tooling for Corgi. Can't remember if the two had a falling out.

The Bf 110 isn't a shared mold though and while both Corgi and HM toolings are good, the nose radar "antlers" on the HM are significantly over-scale. Corgi got round the problem with a PE version instead of HM's plastic.

Here are some pics of the Corgi 110 nightfighter. Mottling on the camo isn't too bad on the Corgi model and generally horrible on the HM.

http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...schnaufer.html

Corgi are also good for WWII heavy bombers - Lancaster, Stirling, B-17, Halifax. Sunderland is good too. HM can't do 'em because they're too big for their production line.

Avenger pics
http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...uss-essex.html
I doubt if it's true about HM making Corgi's P-38- it doesn't have HM's house style (opening/detachable canopy & cockpit detail).
wilkinss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_Flyer View Post
Ah, the Lanc that should have been and wasn't Corgi Lanc's usually tend to be quite excellent and a case of asking what versions are the very "best". I had Admiral Prune and S for Sugar, both are great models in my opinion. Others to consider are Johnny Walker, Phantom of the Ruhr, Leonard Cheshire.

There were a few that have the "reversed camo" error. G for George is one I recall and the Pathfinder is another. Funny thing is, most agree the build quality is very good if it wasn't for that error. It wouldn't be wrong to buy them if the error doesn't bother you.
Noted! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
Corgi's 190s are better than Dragon's- Dragon omit the headrest in the rear canopy, & it sticks out like a sore thumb. & the tailwheel only has a 'down' position.
Many of the Dragon Corsairs are very hard to get.
Thanks for the info!
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 07:07 AM   #24 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Eagle_Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 1,671
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
Noted! Thanks.
No probs. Good luck with your collecting if you do decide to add WWII planes to your collection.
Eagle_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 08:10 AM   #25 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_Flyer View Post
No probs. Good luck with your collecting if you do decide to add WWII planes to your collection.
Cheers. I'm still primarily interested in Cold War and contemporary planes, but I will definitely be adding WWII to my collection. I'm going to order the Corgi Zero today, and I will order the Warhawk when it's available in a couple of weeks; haven't decided on the Catalina yet. Two others available now that I'm considering are the AA38408 Blenheim and a Polish Sq Hurricane (AA27602); and I'm also keen on a 109 coming out in December: AA28001.

End of Nov and December will be an expensive one for me, actually; in addition to the WWII stuff I want the Op Granby Tornado, the Black Buck Vulcan, the Chinook, and the Firebirds Lightning. I had better start saving up...
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:57 AM   #26 (permalink)
Jaded Collector
 
Adour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Home at last, crewing can s¥€<%#*
Posts: 539
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
I'm going to order the Corgi Zero today,
Don't do it, Corgi Zeros are [email protected]
Adour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adour View Post
Don't do it, Corgi Zeros are [email protected]
Oh really? I was thinking of getting the Pearl Harbour one they released recently. What's wrong with them?
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:30 AM   #28 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 359
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Grab a Dragon Wings Zero if you can find one. Corgi's just look...clunky. Thick panel lines, gappy construction. They are very toy-like, in my opinion.

I haven't seen the new Zero in person, but I'm going to assume the same is true.
Kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:12 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Sartrouvile
Posts: 265
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

I'll agree The Dragon zero is the best....witty in second place
majorfatal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #30 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,652
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
Oh really? I was thinking of getting the Pearl Harbour one they released recently. What's wrong with them?

The Dragon Pearl Harbor Zero---blue fuselage stripes----can be made to look OK with some code 3 work, however the basic design omitted some markings as well as the pitot head and the tail wheel is a single piece---neither fully retractable nor extended--all designed to save cost I expect. The best PH Zeros are from Witty---in my opinion---- with the Dragons a close second. In the latter case, if you display the model on its stand with the canopy closed you will see a large gap at the rear of the canopy---on both sides---that allows it to slide back easily. Of course nothing like that is evident on the real plane.
Epap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:29 AM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

I will give the Corgi one a miss, then. Thanks all; much appreciated.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:43 AM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

What about HM's FW190 and 109? How do they compare to Corgi's?

Edit to add: never mind; just realised they only do them at 1: 48.

Last edited by Feynman; 11-17-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:45 AM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 359
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

HM's 109s and 190s are 1:48 scale, while Corgi's are 1:72 (minus a few older 1:48 109s).
Kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 11:49 AM   #34 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Yeah just realised that. Doh!
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 359
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

What are your top 3 targets that you'd like to start your WWII collection? Maybe we can better guide you then.
Kruse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 47
Posts: 387
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

To be honest I have a pretty long list, and as someone who isn't keen on buying second hand (previous experiences not great + fussy when it comes to condition of the box, etc) the order I buy stuff in is usually dictated simply by what is available new at the time. So, for example, I would rather buy my 5th favourite plane if there happens to be an excellent example available new at the time than I would a second hand example of my 1st favourite. Of course one can only wait so long and so if decent examples of the planes at the top of my list are not released after x amount of time, I will no doubt end up dipping into the second hand market!
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 03:09 PM   #37 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Eagle_Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 1,671
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruse View Post
Grab a Dragon Wings Zero if you can find one. Corgi's just look...clunky. Thick panel lines, gappy construction. They are very toy-like, in my opinion.

I haven't seen the new Zero in person, but I'm going to assume the same is true.
Yes it is still the original tooling. However, Airfix of whom Corgi appear to be "borrowing" their research have released a new model kit of the Zero some time ago. I'm no expert and going by the reviews they are in the main - positive. Could be possible Corgi update their Zero tooling in the future to produce a more accurate model.
Eagle_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2016, 05:12 AM   #38 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: essex, england
Age: 62
Posts: 668
Default Re: WWII 1: 72 Collectors - I need your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
The Beaufighter and Boston have only been released by HM. Both decent moulds, though the Beaufighter's undercarriage is poor and blocky, but it's just a minor thing. The RAF version of it is hampered by poor camo colours, the brown is far too light, but again if that doesn't put you off then it's a lovely model. The Boston is a cracker, the only shame is that the cockpit detailing is non-existent, but something I can live with. Getting harder to find as well now, but some nice schemes out there.
HM Boston/Havoc cockpit detail non-existent? Mine has cockpit detail- it's basic, but it's fair. It has a printed instrument panel, a stick & a seat- more than you get with many of Corgi's models.
wilkinss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
corgi , hobby master , ww2 , wwii

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 PM.

Latest Threads
- by Wardair
- by Antws
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.