Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204 - Page 4 - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 3.33 average.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:40 AM   #151
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Whitehorse
Posts: 2,106
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmings418 View Post
The simple answer from me is CWHM wants to maximize fund raising as they are a non profit.

Selling it to other retailers would cut into that.

Plus they sold out 6500 pieces before. It took a while but they did it.
I bought RL 201 in Vancouver. My dad is also a collector and he bought RL 203 in Vancouver. They didn't sell the full 6500 pieces to museum customers. Many went to other retailers.
Zendocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM   #152
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Stoney Creek
Posts: 159
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendocon View Post
I bought RL 201 in Vancouver. My dad is also a collector and he bought RL 203 in Vancouver. They didn't sell the full 6500 pieces to museum customers. Many went to other retailers.
I stand corrected. I remember buying mine at the museum and not from my typical dealer since he couldn't get them.
__________________
Lemmings418

Time for Corgi to do a RCAF Halifax!

Out of a total of 37,000 operational missions flown in Halifax aircraft in the Second World War - 29,000 were flown by Canadian crews.
lemmings418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:00 AM   #153
Master Collector
 
Kangaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: up in the air
Posts: 804
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

There's a set of 2 Arrows going for a good price on eBay right now. RL-201 and RL-203 of course. $500 for the both, and decent shipping price for the size/weight of an Arrow+Arrow box. They're used but look in great condition. (This is not my listing)

Last edited by Kangaroo; 07-13-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-13-2016, 03:07 AM   #154
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Whitehorse
Posts: 2,106
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmings418 View Post
I stand corrected. I remember buying mine at the museum and not from my typical dealer since he couldn't get them.
The museum would no doubt have had the exclusive in the region.
Zendocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 11:35 AM   #155
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
There's a set of 2 Arrows going for a good price on eBay right now. RL-201 and RL-203 of course. $500 for the both, and decent shipping price for the size/weight of an Arrow+Arrow box. They're used but look in great condition. (This is not my listing)
Was the $500 "Start Price" or "Buy Now"?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:00 PM   #156
Master Collector
 
Kangaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: up in the air
Posts: 804
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Buy now price.
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 09:39 PM   #157
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,606
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

It's also in USD. Interesting that they used Dans pix... Lot of 2 Avro Arrows RL201 and RL203 Diecast Limited Edition Warplane Heritage | eBay
YOWguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:00 PM   #158
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

$499.99 USD for the two CWHM Arrows (RL201/RL203) is a fair price. The missing stand should not be a problem to replace with a simple call to CWHM. Seeing that the duo are based in Ontario should be good for Canadian collectors re shipping. If at all possible I think giving credit, where do, for "stock photos" used for the listing would have been a nice courtesy. Heck, I think one of the 201 photos might have been mine...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:30 PM   #159
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Whitehorse
Posts: 2,106
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Here's a "low wing" version of the Arrow for you, UF.
"After the delays in the F-111 program, Australia decided to buy the Canadian Avro Arrow. Only some of the plans arrived printed ‘upside down’. This error went unnoticed and created a different look for these “down under” aircraft."


Last edited by Zendocon; 07-14-2016 at 02:32 PM.
Zendocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #160
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

[QUOTE=Zendocon;2005298]Here's a "low wing" version of the Arrow for you, UF.
"After the delays in the F-111 program, Australia decided to buy the Canadian Avro Arrow. Only some of the plans arrived printed ‘upside down’. This error went unnoticed and created a different look for these “down under” aircraft."


Interesting code3, if this is what you've done... Hope the over-wing sidewinders don't malfunction by targeting the cockpit...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:55 PM   #161
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Whitehorse
Posts: 2,106
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

I can't (and won't) take any of the credit for this build. This is part of a collection of "fantasy Arrows" built by modeler, Neil Medcalf: Avro Arrows by Neil Medcalf
Zendocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:26 PM   #162
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Neil Metcalf has a brilliant imagination and I especially like his renditions of the CF-105 "Target Drone" and "Tiger Meet".
His fantasy "alternate" history re the Avro Arrow is an interesting and entertaining read...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:41 PM   #163
Master Collector
 
Kangaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: up in the air
Posts: 804
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

I love the RCN SeaF-105 and RAF WWII 1994 fantasy Arrow liveries by Neil. Fantastic paint jobs.
Kangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:45 PM   #164
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendocon View Post
Here's a "low wing" version of the Arrow for you, UF.
"After the delays in the F-111 program, Australia decided to buy the Canadian Avro Arrow. Only some of the plans arrived printed ‘upside down’. This error went unnoticed and created a different look for these “down under” aircraft."

Dihedral wings provide a smoother, more comfortable flight for the pilot and the passengers.

So I do see that as an improvement the Australians would make to the Arrow.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 03:47 PM   #165
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo View Post
I love the RCN SeaF-105 and RAF WWII 1994 fantasy Arrow liveries by Neil. Fantastic paint jobs.
Nice to see enthusiasts keep the "Arrow" alive even if it's in fantasy land...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:21 PM   #166
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Just jumping off topic here but Martin Mars "Hawaii", water bomber, just now flew over my house in Victoria... Heard the four big radials and thought at first it might be a B-17 Fortress. Was pleasantly surprised to see the red/white monster rumble overhead. Interesting history as it was originally built as a ww2 US troop transport...
Attached Thumbnails
Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204-marswaterbomberfirstimage.jpg  
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:07 PM   #167
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,606
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

It looks a bit like a cross between a Mirage III and IV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Dihedral wings provide a smoother, more comfortable flight for the pilot and the passengers.

So I do see that as an improvement the Australians would make to the Arrow.
YOWguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:12 PM   #168
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,606
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

It was Kermit - https://www.facebook.com/KermitWeeks/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
Just jumping off topic here but Martin Mars "Hawaii", water bomber, just now flew over my house in Victoria... Heard the four big radials and thought at first it might be a B-17 Fortress. Was pleasantly surprised to see the red/white monster rumble overhead. Interesting history as it was originally built as a ww2 US troop transport...
YOWguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:26 PM   #169
Insane Collector
 
tker76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,820
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
Just jumping off topic here but Martin Mars "Hawaii", water bomber, just now flew over my house in Victoria... Heard the four big radials and thought at first it might be a B-17 Fortress. Was pleasantly surprised to see the red/white monster rumble overhead. Interesting history as it was originally built as a ww2 US troop transport...
It's not that off-topic, the water bombers come down under for our summer too, though I have never heard of that Martin Mars making the trip.

That's a beautiful old bird, and it's great she's not stuck away in some museum (or worse still scrapped), but is actually still out there working so lucky blokes like you can get photos
tker76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:35 PM   #170
Insane Collector
 
Eagle_Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 1,670
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWguy View Post
It looks a bit like a cross between a Mirage III and IV.
Hmm... it does a bit and the Mirage was in service with the Aussies.
Eagle_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:59 PM   #171
The Collector
 
Ukrainian_Falcons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 5,385
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Dihedral wings provide a smoother, more comfortable flight for the pilot and the passengers.

So I do see that as an improvement the Australians would make to the Arrow.
I notice this Arrow is armed to the teeth unlike others :-p
Ukrainian_Falcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #172
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by tker76 View Post
It's not that off-topic, the water bombers come down under for our summer too, though I have never heard of that Martin Mars making the trip.

That's a beautiful old bird, and it's great she's not stuck away in some museum (or worse still scrapped), but is actually still out there working so lucky blokes like you can get photos
Had the opportunity to see her up close at her base on Sproat lake, Vancouver Island... She's a beautiful beast alright - floated by in a friend's small boat just under her massive starboard wing and took a few photos. She works wherever she might be needed to fight forest fires in western Canada, USA (California) and Mexico...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:36 PM   #173
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainian_Falcons View Post
I notice this Arrow is armed to the teeth unlike others :-p
She's spinnin' the turbines up before she heads out over Long Tan to provide air superiority for RAAF Hueys dropping off ammunition for 6 RAR.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #174
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWguy View Post
Kermit Weeks has a great smile and can't say I blame him -- flying the Martin Mars for a living must be a hoot. Thx for posting the attached article...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #175
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

US Navy Martin Mars...
Attached Thumbnails
Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204-c48fc61f85814c1b28be7a06463e3fc7.jpg   Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204-martin_xpb2m-1r_mars_taking_off_c1944.jpg   Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204-martin-jrm-3-mars-bu_no__-76822-marshall-mars.jpg   Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204-martin-jrm-3-mars-formation.jpg  
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 04:27 PM   #176
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Whitehorse
Posts: 2,106
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
US Navy Martin Mars...
The second pic is not a Mars (note the twin tail). I think it's a Consolidated Coronado, but I'm not 100% certain on that either.
Zendocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #177
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendocon View Post
The second pic is not a Mars (note the twin tail). I think it's a Consolidated Coronado, but I'm not 100% certain on that either.
Second photo is Martin JRM Mars "prototype" XPB2M-1 (1942).
However, I can see the resemblance it has to the Coronado...
Attached Thumbnails
Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204-martin_xpb2m-1_mars_in_flight_1942.jpg  
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!

Last edited by Spooky; 07-17-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 05:31 PM   #178
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

PB2Y Coronado...
Attached Thumbnails
Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204-pb2y_coronado_in_flight.jpg  
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:34 AM   #179
Banned
 
ACpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,081
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

CWH Images

59 years ago this week (October 4th, 1957) the prototype Avro Arrow RL201 was revealed to the public for the first time. That same day Sputnik was launched - resulting with some thinking that missiles had made manned fighters obsolete (wrong thinking that led to the cancellation of the project).



CWH photo showing how all three Arrow releases (RL201, RL203 and the soon to be released RL204) will look together.

Dan


ACpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 08:24 AM   #180
1:200 and 1:72 Collector
 
geeforce9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Exeter
Age: 38
Posts: 1,722
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

I love in the roll out picture, the Arrow still looks so futuristic, even by 21st century standards, yet look at all those ancient cars (and truck) in the parking area!

As for the 3 of them sat together...wow, I guess only a lucky few will have all 3 of these birds in their displays!
__________________
Regards, Andy


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
geeforce9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:05 AM   #181
Master Collector
 
cnq123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 542
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Very nice pictures ACpilot.
I pre-ordered RL204 and looking forward to it so I can display all 3 together. Here is my two Arrows..

cnq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #182
Insane Collector
 
tripoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sylvania, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

"I love in the roll out picture, the Arrow still looks so futuristic, even by 21st century standards, yet look at all those ancient cars (and truck) in the parking area!"

Most of the aircraft from the 60's and early 70's have that sleek look that is still iconic to today's standards.
The arrow also had some political push against it from the US. This was not only a cold war threat, it was a threat to US industry. Absolutely there was some US backdoor dealings that helped kill this incredible program.
__________________
Jeff
tripoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 02:20 PM   #183
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Hard to imagine how the Arrow and Avro Canada might have developed over these past 59 years... I believe, with sound leadership, and more advanced thinking, the potential would have been limitless. At least we can keep the Arrow alive with discussion and by displaying our models of this beautiful aircraft. Thank you Dan for reminding us of the Arrow's historic day and for sharing the attached photos...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!

Last edited by Spooky; 10-08-2016 at 05:05 PM.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:00 PM   #184
Reft crosed trafficah
 
Jumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Upland, CA
Posts: 901
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripoli View Post
"I love in the roll out picture, the Arrow still looks so futuristic, even by 21st century standards, yet look at all those ancient cars (and truck) in the parking area!"

Most of the aircraft from the 60's and early 70's have that sleek look that is still iconic to today's standards.
The arrow also had some political push against it from the US. This was not only a cold war threat, it was a threat to US industry. Absolutely there was some US backdoor dealings that helped kill this incredible program.
Just curious. Why don't you use the forum's quote function? I'm not mini-modding you, sorry in advance, I was just wondering why.

On-subject, one of the things that always somewhat amazes me is the look of aircraft in the late 50s and early 60s - we went from slab-sided WWII brutes like the P-47 and Typhoon and B-29 to the rakish A-12/SR-71, Arrow and F-104 in less than 20 years.

And now look at our relatively static aviation advances. 40-year-old F-15s and F-16s...
Jumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:22 PM   #185
Insane Collector
 
tripoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sylvania, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

A quote is a quote.
__________________
Jeff
tripoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 09:51 AM   #186
Insane Collector
 
Eagle_Flyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: UK
Posts: 1,670
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper View Post
On-subject, one of the things that always somewhat amazes me is the look of aircraft in the late 50s and early 60s - we went from slab-sided WWII brutes like the P-47 and Typhoon and B-29 to the rakish A-12/SR-71, Arrow and F-104 in less than 20 years.

And now look at our relatively static aviation advances. 40-year-old F-15s and F-16s...
A simple answer could be the advent of the jet engine. For that type of propulsion it requires different aerodynamics to that of a prop hence the 20 years of changing the "design".

Usually a "radical" advance in technology causes other factors to change accordingly, stealth is the most recent example although some would argue it has made aircraft design look ugly or perhaps boring or maybe fugly
Eagle_Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 12:20 PM   #187
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle_Flyer View Post
A simple answer could be the advent of the jet engine. For that type of propulsion it requires different aerodynamics to that of a prop hence the 20 years of changing the "design".

Usually a "radical" advance in technology causes other factors to change accordingly, stealth is the most recent example although some would argue it has made aircraft design look ugly or perhaps boring or maybe fugly
Interesting... Fact is aircraft design is mostly affected by one dominant factor, and that is Gravity. I know, I know, "thank you Captain Obvious". I agree that more advanced flight systems, such as stealth, do take on some strange angles and are perhaps less attractive than the sleek designs we are accustomed to. Once gravity is eliminated as the main hurdle for flight, due to more advanced propulsion systems, I expect aircraft to be even more ugly. Watched a Spielberg film last night called "Artificial Intelligence" where aliens arrived on our long dead planet in a "cube" designed craft... Btw, if you haven't seen it, A.I. is a fine movie...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #188
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumper View Post
Just curious. Why don't you use the forum's quote function? I'm not mini-modding you, sorry in advance, I was just wondering why.

On-subject, one of the things that always somewhat amazes me is the look of aircraft in the late 50s and early 60s - we went from slab-sided WWII brutes like the P-47 and Typhoon and B-29 to the rakish A-12/SR-71, Arrow and F-104 in less than 20 years.

And now look at our relatively static aviation advances. 40-year-old F-15s and F-16s...
The so called "static aviation advances" re aerodynamic design could simply be a result of reaching the close to perfect airframe that best affects aircraft maneuverability under the stresses of earth's gravity. IMHO, a good example of this is the F-16 airframe. Other than creating lighter/stronger materials, and more powerful/efficient engines, how much better can airframe design get...?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!

Last edited by Spooky; 10-09-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 02:27 PM   #189
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 46
Posts: 387
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

I assume you mean the stresses of Earth's gravity when the aircraft is sitting on the ground? Because of course when airborne they can pull 9 g and then Earth's gravity isn't the dominant factor.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:30 PM   #190
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
I assume you mean the stresses of Earth's gravity when the aircraft is sitting on the ground? Because of course when airborne they can pull 9 g and then Earth's gravity isn't the dominant factor.
Earth's gravity is "always" the dominant factor no matter how many G's an aircraft is capable of - hence the term "G-Force". When/if the aircraft can escape earth's gravitational pull, or just remains on the ground, is obviously when gravity is no longer a factor for flight. Interesting, for example, if we had communities on the moon the so called "aircraft", due to the lesser affects of gravity, would be designed so much differently than our earth bound aircraft, i.e.: the "Lunar Lander". If not for the heavy burden of US military defense, expensive wars, and less attention to our space program, we could, in reality, have had many "dome-like" communities on the moon, and the "Lunar Lander" (aerial moon-craft) would have had 50 years of development behind it. We are "infants" in relation to how advanced we could be with both earth bound aircraft and spacecraft. The Arrow and Avro Canada, no doubt, could have been a leader in our world's fighter aircraft and aerospace technologies...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 03:34 PM   #191
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

PS: When an aircraft loses power, what happens...? Yup, "gravity"!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #192
Insane Collector
 
tripoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sylvania, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Aerodynamic and structural strength are absolute factors along with weight (gravity) and thrust with power plants. With every aircraft, the most important factor in design is weight, which affects just about every other ratio.
In the Skunkworks book, Kelly Johnson use to give bonuses for anyone who could take a pound off an aircraft. It was a key factor for everything from thrust to weight ratios to fuel distance issues. But that was back when you had mission specific aircraft being built.
Now it is composite strengths and fly by wire system overcoming airframe stresses. As stealth starts to get neutralized I would hazard to guess unmanned aircraft and laser systems are going to be the future issues. Both airborne and fixed offensive and defensive lasers are huge new weapon systems in development. The cost of maintenance and personnel will eventually force automation to be a huge factor as scales of economy continue to change. And looking at recent past altercations, cruise missiles and drones have become an integral part of modern warfare.

Personally, I would always like to see a pilot in an airframe, but with the economic factors involved, the reality is that the modern military will have to start to take out the human cost factor in order to compete. The US Navy which is known for pushing large crews for military command has even now downsized the crews with modern ships. The writing is on the wall. Third world nation with underdeveloped economies are likely to still use manpower due to the cost/non-value of life factors, but for developed nations, automation is the future. The only way you will see mass manned combat in the future is with allied actions or a world war.
__________________
Jeff
tripoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #193
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

The 3 Space Shuttle Main Engines, in conjunction with the Solid Rocket Boosters, provide 37,000,000 HP.
Each Space Shuttle Main Engine produces 375,000 lbs of thrust directed toward it's "dominant factor" adversary - gravity!

Rocket Kid enjoys the benefits of leaving Earth's gravitational pull...

And Avro Arrow RL204 reaches for the heavens...
Attached Thumbnails
Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204-lo-shuttle-endeavour40286.jpg   Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204-rocket-kid-blasting-space-cartoon-illustration-suit-riding-top-ship-stars-planets-41381190.jpg   Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204-16_arrow_fsx.jpg  
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 04:38 PM   #194
Insane Collector
 
tripoli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Sylvania, Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,611
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

I have to wonder as well if the powers to be were a bit afraid of a technological battle brewing. Mcnamara in the 60's stopped the A-12/SR-71 bomber project because he feared it was to advanced and would create a imbalance. He was against the F-15 program as well and wanted to slow down the military advancements. The Avro Arrow would I think have easily surpassed the Mig 25 Foxhound in capabilities and it really would have been interesting to see where things would be today if that had become a staple of airpower. It would have also been great to see Canada have it's ow program as competition brings out the best in designs and the Arrow certainly looking to become one of those possible legendary aircraft.
__________________
Jeff
tripoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #195
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Did everyone become physicists and aerodynamicists overnight?

Perhaps I did drink more than I though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripoli View Post
Personally, I would always like to see a pilot in an airframe, but with the economic factors involved, the reality is that the modern military will have to start to take out the human cost factor in order to compete. The US Navy which is known for pushing large crews for military command has even now downsized the crews with modern ships. The writing is on the wall. Third world nation with underdeveloped economies are likely to still use manpower due to the cost/non-value of life factors, but for developed nations, automation is the future.
I think it's more to do with the fact that machines can still thrive in a much more hazardous environment compared to humans: incredible speeds, day-long operations, extreme maneuverability, and high altitude flying to name a few.

How many humans do you know who can stay strapped into an aircraft for 48 hours straight, pull 10+ G maneuvers without blacking out, and travel at 30,000 ft whilst reaching speeds of mach 3?

I'd be willing to bet that the computer system is also a lot lighter and compact than a human pilot and their associated life support, cockpit instruments, ejector seat etc. meaning more bombs and more fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripoli View Post
The only way you will see mass manned combat in the future is with allied actions or a world war.
The only way you'll see mass manned combat in the future is if we nuke ourselves back to the Stone Age (or some African civil war).

I bags the bow and arrow and you may call me Chief Tuktuk-Bing Wallyburger.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #196
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 46
Posts: 387
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
Earth's gravity is "always" the dominant factor no matter how many G's an aircraft is capable of - hence the term "G-Force". When/if the aircraft can escape earth's gravitational pull, or just remains on the ground, is obviously when gravity is no longer a factor for flight. Interesting, for example, if we had communities on the moon the so called "aircraft", due to the lesser affects of gravity, would be designed so much differently than our earth bound aircraft, i.e.: the "Lunar Lander". If not for the heavy burden of US military defense, expensive wars, and less attention to our space program, we could, in reality, have had many "dome-like" communities on the moon, and the "Lunar Lander" (aerial moon-craft) would have had 50 years of development behind it. We are "infants" in relation to how advanced we could be with both earth bound aircraft and spacecraft. The Arrow and Avro Canada, no doubt, could have been a leader in our world's fighter aircraft and aerospace technologies...
Yes I imagine (I'm not an engineer, I'm a physicist) the strength of Earth's gravity is a hugely important factor in design for a number of reasons: for one, the design needs to be structurally sound on the ground and at low speeds, and of course it does need to overcome gravity before it can fly. But there are much stronger forces in play when up there and turning sharply at the speeds that modern jets do. One of the fundamental concepts of Einstein's theory of general relativity is the equivalence principle, and without going off on too much of a tangent it states that there is no difference between acceleration and the effects of gravity, and that is of course where we get the idea of a 'g' from - it is the acceleration of an abject due to the gravitational force between that object and the Earth. So when an aircraft experiences a force/acceleration of 9 g, that really is nine times more dominant than the Earth's gravity at that point.

Again I am no mechanical engineer, and I am sure the Earth's gravity is very important in design; but you can't tell me that there aren't more dominant forces that need to be considered, especially when you're dealing with aircraft that can pull something like 9 g.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #197
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 46
Posts: 387
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Did everyone become physicists and aerodynamicists overnight?
It took me many years of hard work to become a physicist
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:41 PM   #198
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feynman View Post
Yes I imagine (I'm not an engineer, I'm a physicist) the strength of Earth's gravity is a hugely important factor in design for a number of reasons: for one, the design needs to be structurally sound on the ground and at low speeds, and of course it does need to overcome gravity before it can fly. But there are much stronger forces in play when up there and turning sharply at the speeds that modern jets do. One of the fundamental concepts of Einstein's theory of general relativity is the equivalence principle, and without going off on too much of a tangent it states that there is no difference between acceleration and the effects of gravity, and that is of course where we get the idea of a 'g' from - it is the acceleration of an abject due to the gravitational force between that object and the Earth. So when an aircraft experiences a force/acceleration of 9 g, that really is nine times more dominant than the Earth's gravity at that point.

Again I am no mechanical engineer, and I am sure the Earth's gravity is very important in design; but you can't tell me that there aren't more dominant forces that need to be considered, especially when you're dealing with aircraft that can pull something like 9 g.
List them...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #199
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 46
Posts: 387
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
List them...
Are you kidding me? Is the fact that the aircraft is experiencing an acceleration of 9 g - that is nine times that due to the gravitational attraction between it and the Earth - not enough for you to see that gravity is not always the most dominant factor?
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 02:18 AM   #200
Junior Collector
 
CdnDieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 8
Default Re: Canadian Warplane Heritage CWH005 Avro Canada Arrow Mk.1 25204

Returning to the original topic...

Picked up my RL-204 last week from my local retailer which made a special arrangement with CWHM to distribute a limited quantity. As with CWHM, Sale price ends Dec 1st so get the discount while you can.

My Arrow trio looks impressive -- though the p/n sequencing is interesting:
2009 RL-203 CWH001
2010 RL-201 CWH003
2016 RL-204 CWH005
CdnDieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:57 PM.

Latest Threads
- by BA2936
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.