Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE - Page 4 - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-06-2016, 05:53 AM   #151
Too many models! (1500+)
 
FortunateSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Honiara
Posts: 2,160
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
I'll wait for a camo one- unless this is gonna be the token Soviet release a la Mig 15, & all the camo ones other nations only! In which case, no sale, as I'll want one in camo, representing its nation of manufacture & origin.
Kind of agree, but I'd be a bit more in agreement with your argument had you said MiG-21.

I'd say that the NKAF-liveried MiG-21s were by far the most interesting - actual warfighting machines flown by Koreans and Soviets. There were two Czech MiG-15s probably because the Czech collector community was so enthusiastic about the first one. I've had the good fortune to get a ride in the back-seat in a soviet-liveried MiG-15 UTI (2-seater) once, but for that I got the easy model (although that one is camo and the one i flew in was silver).

With the MiG-21, HM produced a sufficient number of Soviet (red star) birds and did a number of important other ones, like the F-14 killer. What they did do here, however, was wait until the corgi predators were finally hard to find before releasing their NKAF ones.. and that turned out to be a shame since while they did feature more correct ordinance, the finishes were worse (or at least not better) than the corgi predators and so hardly worth purchasing at 4-8 times the cost of what the predators went for.

Last edited by FortunateSon; 05-06-2016 at 05:57 AM.
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-06-2016, 06:20 AM   #152
Master Collector
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: essex, england
Age: 61
Posts: 610
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post
Kind of agree, but I'd be a bit more in agreement with your argument had you said MiG-21.

I'd say that the NKAF-liveried MiG-21s were by far the most interesting - actual warfighting machines flown by Koreans and Soviets. There were two Czech MiG-15s probably because the Czech collector community was so enthusiastic about the first one. I've had the good fortune to get a ride in the back-seat in a soviet-liveried MiG-15 UTI (2-seater) once, but for that I got the easy model (although that one is camo and the one i flew in was silver).

With the MiG-21, HM produced a sufficient number of Soviet (red star) birds and did a number of important other ones, like the F-14 killer. What they did do here, however, was wait until the corgi predators were finally hard to find before releasing their NKAF ones.. and that turned out to be a shame since while they did feature more correct ordinance, the finishes were worse (or at least not better) than the corgi predators and so hardly worth purchasing at 4-8 times the cost of what the predators went for.
The reason why I used the MiG-15 as an example is because HM really did produce only one Soviet warbird Mig-15, a limited edition that you can't get anymore (never even appears on ebay), & they've never done another one for those of us who missed out (it wasn't easy to find anyone who had them in the first place) but want a Russian Scheme for a MiG-15.
wilkinss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #153
Too many models! (1500+)
 
FortunateSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Honiara
Posts: 2,160
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
The reason why I used the MiG-15 as an example is because HM really did produce only one Soviet warbird Mig-15, a limited edition that you can't get anymore (never even appears on ebay), & they've never done another one for those of us who missed out (it wasn't easy to find anyone who had them in the first place) but want a Russian Scheme for a MiG-15.
HM made two Soviet MiG-15s, though one was a pure airshow livery. But yes, you're absolutely right about that there probably should have been one or two more soviet liveried ones as there are plenty to choose from.

The Russian Air Force never operated MiG-15s in any official capacity nor did any of the other Soviet successor states (including Armenia, the homeland of Artem Mikoyan, designer of the MiG-15). You would never ask about a Hurricane in "English" or "Scottish" livery...

That also said, it's not a stretch to give credit for the most crucial step in the development of the MiG-15 to the earnest but profoundly naive Sir Richard Stafford Cripps, but that's another story...

Last edited by FortunateSon; 05-06-2016 at 06:38 AM.
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-06-2016, 06:37 AM   #154
Master Collector
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: essex, england
Age: 61
Posts: 610
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post
HM made two Soviet MiG-15s, though one was a pure airshow livery.

The Russian Air Force never operated MiG-15s in any official capacity nor did any of the other Soviet successor states (including Armenia, the homeland of Artem Mikoyan, designer of the MiG-15). You would never ask about a Hurricane in "English" or "Scottish" livery...

That also said, it's not a stretch to give credit for the most crucial step in the development of the MiG-15 to the earnest but profoundly naive Sir Richard Stafford Cripps, but that's another story...
I did say only one Soviet warbird- therefore the airshow bird doesn't count. By 'Russian', I meant Soviet as per USSR as opposed to other Warsaw pact nations.
wilkinss77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #155
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Whitehorse
Posts: 2,106
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Am I the only one who thinks the Mig-23 is ugly in camo? I've always preferred grey fighters. This first release looks amazing.
Zendocon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:31 AM   #156
Too many models! (1500+)
 
FortunateSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Honiara
Posts: 2,160
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinss77 View Post
I did say only one Soviet warbird- therefore the airshow bird doesn't count. By 'Russian', I meant Soviet as per USSR as opposed to other Warsaw pact nations.
Ya, I got it, but I was pointing out that this bit of casual "no harm intended" attribution of all things Soviet to Russia as if the terms were interchangeable that many people do is historically wrong, and, more crucially, highly disrespectful to the tens of millions of non-Russians who worked on such things under the SOVIET banner. I always thought that the British would be particularly understanding of this as they could easily understand just how wrong it would be on multiple levels to call the RAF the "Welsh Air Force" or something, but yet they seem to be the biggest offenders in that act of perhaps inadvertent Putin-fluffery.

That said, I understand fully that you meant nothing by it and in this specific case the matter is not helped any by Russia's opportunistic coopting of ex-soviet liveries and symbols in an attempt to basically steal the "good parts" of the Soviet Union's common history and make it exclusively its own. I mean, if somebody called it the "Welsh Air Force" you'd kind of laugh it off and/or think the person perhaps a bit clueless, but harmless - with Russian tanks rolling in Georgia and Ukraine on the heels of the most mendacious, vicious (and ongoing) propaganda campaign the world has ever seen, full stop, the matter rubs some of us who have seen the blood and bodies that has been generated as a result of Russian neo-fascist aggression a bit strongly. Sorry about that.

By the way norton's has the red MiG-15 now available. They also have the "Devil's Disiples" F-4S available at a discount price out of nowhere (by rights that poorly executed, but unique and quite limited model should be sold out so if you missed this run don't walk) In fact, today I see a lot of items on offer that I thought were long gone and that I paid nearly full price for like the F-4S and the Cherry point harrier. I just bought the highly rated SP coded WW Phantom which is also back in stock there at a tasty price (they have 3 left).

Last edited by FortunateSon; 05-06-2016 at 07:36 AM.
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 09:45 AM   #157
Master Collector
 
cheesecake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Angers - France
Posts: 957
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

This grey version is beautiful... a great job done by HM i think...
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:21 AM   #158
Insane Collector
 
Mystère's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Midway between Omaha Beach and Paris.
Age: 49
Posts: 2,839
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

It looks good, excepted the wing/fuselage gap. I can't wait for a camoflaged version !


Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post
Ya, I got it, but I was pointing out that this bit of casual "no harm intended" attribution of all things Soviet to Russia as if the terms were interchangeable that many people do is historically wrong, and, more crucially, highly disrespectful to the tens of millions of non-Russians who worked on such things under the SOVIET banner. I always thought that the British would be particularly understanding of this as they could easily understand just how wrong it would be on multiple levels to call the RAF the "Welsh Air Force" or something, but yet they seem to be the biggest offenders in that act of perhaps inadvertent Putin-fluffery.

That said, I understand fully that you meant nothing by it and in this specific case the matter is not helped any by Russia's opportunistic coopting of ex-soviet liveries and symbols in an attempt to basically steal the "good parts" of the Soviet Union's common history and make it exclusively its own. I mean, if somebody called it the "Welsh Air Force" you'd kind of laugh it off and/or think the person perhaps a bit clueless, but harmless - with Russian tanks rolling in Georgia and Ukraine on the heels of the most mendacious, vicious (and ongoing) propaganda campaign the world has ever seen, full stop, the matter rubs some of us who have seen the blood and bodies that has been generated as a result of Russian neo-fascist aggression a bit strongly. Sorry about that.
I do get your point, especially in those days where many seem to confuse today's Russia with yesterday's USSR.
However don't forget that even in USSR's time, it was common to call this state "Russia" and its inhabitants "russian", whatever area they came from.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Open your eyes, because the revolution won't be televised"

Still looking for following 1/400 models :
AIR FRANCE Concorde F-BVFC & F-BVFD
AIR FRANCE 747 delivery colors F-BPVH
Mystère is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #159
Too many models! (1500+)
 
FortunateSon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Honiara
Posts: 2,160
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystère View Post
However don't forget that even in USSR's time, it was common to call this state "Russia" and its inhabitants "russian", whatever area they came from.
no, i totally get it. didn't make it right, and it's important now to get it right, especially now that russia is taking advantage of that lack of respect for the identity of 100+ million non-russian soviet citizens and the independent non-russian successor countries. i mean, if you have been following the situation in ukraine at all you can see how pervasive russian propaganda is and how it feeds on western lack of substantive knowledge about the region.

Though i promise to try to shut up about it for now
FortunateSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:31 AM   #160
Collector
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: US
Posts: 132
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

This is a great mold. Good job HM.
Hkben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 11:14 AM   #161
Collector
 
LeoQu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: New England
Posts: 145
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

I think the grey scheme on the flogger looks very sophisticated, I think grey schemes done well look really good on interceptors. I wonder if this opens up the possibility of Hobby Master doing a run of Mig-27s in the future.
LeoQu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 12:56 PM   #162
Founder of A.M.C.C.
 
Gold Leader's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Netherlands
Age: 43
Posts: 1,169
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Yellow 49 has that good ole Epic Silver gray feel attached to it, it seems I may need to grab me a sample as well xD

Polish Airforce would be cool too as I saw a few pages back.
With the silver gray color scheme they maintain that nostalgic look to 'emm which is a nice thing to have around
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Gold Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:35 AM   #163
Banned
 
ACpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,081
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Noticed that Ling from Hobby Master recently posted this (I believe he posted it in the Sponsor section by mistake).

Dan


Hi, this is Ling from Hobby Master.

Recently, we received some reflections that the main wings of MIG-23 were made of PVC (a kind of plastic) and they didn’t like it so much ( a couple of people go so far to say it is “cheating”).

To clarify the above issue, we would like to provide an overall view and explanation of the choice of PVC for the MIG-23 wings.
1)true-to-scale consideration. We examined the possibility of using metal (zinc alloy) for the wings. But in 1/72 the wings are just too thin to be made of metal. It will turn to be very vulunerable to cracking and damage.
2)if we insist on using metal wings, the main wings will be rather out of scale and affect the outlook. Even worse is that the related movable mechanism has to be further thickened as well. The final result is that the whole model will look very odd ultimately.
3)on the other hand, PVC has stronger degree of elasticity and strength so it can be made to represent the wings in a more true scale. So in order to make a much more realistic model, use of PVC is the choice for us in the case.
4)the above also explain why we use PVC for the vertical stabilizers for the F-4, F-15 and F-16. If the part contain some very delicate components (like those thin and tiny antennas), zinc alloy is not a suitable material. On the other hand, the vertical stabilizers of the F-18 and F-22 do not contain such delicate structure so they can be produced with metal.

Finally, we would like to mention that it is not a cost-cutting consideration for HM to use PVC for some models’s parts. Indeed, material cost is no longer a major consideration for us these days for producing. It is the skilled labour cost that determine the overall costing of a model. For HM models in general, about 60 to 65% of the costing go to labour since craftsmanship is considered to be more important to us.

We would also like to mention that for most future models we will use metal for the main wings like upcoming MIG-25, P-40N, etc.

Thank you for the support again.

Ling, Hobby Master

Last edited by ACpilot; 10-22-2016 at 12:41 AM.
ACpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 12:50 AM   #164
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 1,111
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Fair enough. I never had a problem with the plastic wing anyway,...but its nice of Ling and HM to give us an explanation and rational.

I also note,...once again, he has had to explain the biggest outlay in production is labour.

On a separate note,......I see the first release has just about cleared the retailers. Has to be one of the most successful releases this year methinks?

Glad I got mine, its a cracker.
PBRStreetgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:15 AM   #165
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortunateSon View Post
Weapons look a bit toy-like.
Perhaps you can get a sharp pencil and follow the vertices between the fins and the cylinder body.

Use something very light:



Quote:
Originally Posted by Zendocon View Post
Am I the only one who thinks the Mig-23 is ugly in camo? I've always preferred grey fighters. This first release looks amazing.
I've always though camouflaged models are at risk of looking too toyish.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ACpilot View Post
We examined the possibility of using metal (zinc alloy) for the wings. But in 1/72 the wings are just too thin to be made of metal. It will turn to be very vulunerable to cracking and damage.
I didn't realise the wings were so thin, but that seems to be reasonably justified.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 06:37 AM   #166
The Collector
 
Ukrainian_Falcons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 5,385
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

Whatever the wings are made of and no matter how lite it is, it's still very nice model

Attachment 219553

Last edited by Ukrainian_Falcons; 11-21-2016 at 10:33 PM.
Ukrainian_Falcons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 01:02 PM   #167
Master Collector
 
cheesecake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Angers - France
Posts: 957
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

I join UF... a little bit of plastic in diecast model don't annoy me ! especially to make soviet stuff !
cheesecake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #168
Senior Collector
 
Feynman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Norwich, England, UK
Age: 46
Posts: 387
Default Re: Hobby Master MiG-23M - NEW TOOLING - APRIL 2016 RELEASE

I think it's a great little model. I already have the Libyan one, and I've just this evening placed an order that includes the Soviet one.
Feynman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 PM.

Latest Threads
- by BA2936
- by Ladia
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.