My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup - Page 2 - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:25 PM   #51
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

...So the underlying conceptual structure of the comment would be something like "I praise the breadth, depth, or extent of this collection by indicating that it must extend to almost a logical extreme or point of ridiculousness"

Lol, I bet nobody logged on here today expecting to find a post beginning with "underlying conceptual structure"

But hey, that's what you get with diecast, a laff a minute
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #52
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Oh! Now I see it.

I must have been so awestruck by your collection I didn't even notice them.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #53
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersphinxman View Post
It was referenced earlier due to the Echo toy jet in the very first post, in pictures #1 and #4.
Oh.

Well dam. Another elegant theory about language use shot down by much more mundane circumstances

Oh well, at least there are pretty jets to look at
books is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-15-2015, 06:36 PM   #54
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Don't worry mate, we were both as confused as each other.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:38 PM   #55
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

You would have made a good English teacher.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:52 PM   #56
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
You would have made a good English teacher.
Well thanks!

That is a high compliment for people of my background
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 06:55 PM   #57
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

No worries, you would have made a good English teacher for their flaws, but still, a good English teacher.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:14 PM   #58
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
No worries, you would have made a good English teacher for their flaws, but still, a good English teacher.
Well if nothing else I'd be sure to learn 'em a lot about which diecast to get

"Ok class, 3000 words on why not to buy AF1's Raptor-- by Tuesday!! Anyone failing to complete the assignment on time must either sell me their CWs at half of MAP price or fail the class. So get cracking..."

books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:17 PM   #59
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

(If one of my students then went on to ask me whether the question was about buying Raptors on a deadline, well, then we'd have a new teacher's pet... ")
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:19 PM   #60
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

So how about is, supersphinxman, do you think we could talk you into some pictures of the other shelves, HM etc?

Would be very interested to see what you have, & just as much to see how you display it...

books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:31 PM   #61
Master Collector
 
Wildblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Staffordshire (United Kingdom)
Posts: 892
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

So now we know why CW keep churning out the F14' s!

That's a seriously impressive collection to amass in a year. When my lottery numbers come up I'll give you a run for your money! I've only got the one CW F14B so far, and an A7E. So you've a bit of a head start!
Wildblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 07:33 PM   #62
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildblood View Post
So now we know why CW keep churning out the F14' s!

That's a seriously impressive collection to amass in a year. When my lottery numbers come up I'll give you a run for your money! I've only got the one CW F14B so far, and an A7E. So you've a bit of a head start!
I gots to know Sir, which one's?
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:14 PM   #63
Master Collector
 
Wildblood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Staffordshire (United Kingdom)
Posts: 892
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
I gots to know Sir, which one's?
Ask and you shall receive

F14B -VF-101 Grim Reapers 1995
A7E- VA-72 Bluehawks 1991

I liked them, and they were a good price.
Wildblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:24 PM   #64
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 33
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

I have a manufacturers model GrummanF-14 Tomcat gifted to a Canadian Air Force Captain. Evidently they are quite rare. I will attempt to upload a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup-unnamed-12.jpg  
mick_727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:38 PM   #65
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 33
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_727 View Post
I have a manufacturers model GrummanF-14 Tomcat gifted to a Canadian Air Force Captain. Evidently they are quite rare. I will attempt to upload a picture.
More pictures My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup-unnamed-13.jpg
mick_727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 08:39 PM   #66
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildblood View Post
Ask and you shall receive

F14B -VF-101 Grim Reapers 1995
A7E- VA-72 Bluehawks 1991

I liked them, and they were a good price.
Very nice! I think that particular VF-101 Tomcat is my favourite.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2015, 10:20 PM   #67
Complete Wacko!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: timbuktu
Posts: 5,672
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

monsieur books and aardvark... seriously, you guys crack me up! just step away for a while and by golly, so many posts and on what, i ask you? bravo and echo! and please don't tell me you've never heard of skull squadron. no, not the jolly rogers... the SKULL squadron. oh yeah, and "underlying conceptual structure"? sounds like the lightning2 alright...

and yeah, guess i'll join in the bandwagon too and humbly request to be mesmerised by your collection, o grandmaster of diecast...
tomcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:21 AM   #68
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_727 View Post
I have a manufacturers model GrummanF-14 Tomcat gifted to a Canadian Air Force Captain. Evidently they are quite rare. I will attempt to upload a picture.
Wow, that is an awesome piece of history you have there, congratulations!!

Take good care of it; someday it belongs in a museum
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:29 AM   #69
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Very nice! I think that particular VF-101 Tomcat is my favourite.
Yes, I agree, very nice to hear what everybody has. Speaking of which, Aardvark, what CWs do you have? What's your theme in general? Looked like mainly RAAF jets with some forays into props on the other forum, but that may have been only a partial description?

Last edited by books; 07-16-2015 at 03:31 AM.
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:23 AM   #70
Complete Wacko!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: timbuktu
Posts: 5,672
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by books View Post
Yes, I agree, very nice to hear what everybody has. Speaking of which, Aardvark, what CWs do you have? What's your theme in general? Looked like mainly RAAF jets with some forays into props on the other forum, but that may have been only a partial description?
i think it would be easier to ask him what cw's he doesn't have
tomcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:06 AM   #71
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by books View Post
Yes, I agree, very nice to hear what everybody has. Speaking of which, Aardvark, what CWs do you have? What's your theme in general? Looked like mainly RAAF jets with some forays into props on the other forum, but that may have been only a partial description?
Other CW apart from the Tomcat's:

- A-6E VA-75
- A-7D "Scrappy"
- A-7E VA-93 (NF301)
- A-7E VA-86 (AJ401)

My collection theme:

Pretty much everything post-WWII + RAAF. My collection is really only focused on Western Air Force's, but I have got a few pieces from Asia too.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:24 AM   #72
Complete Wacko!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: timbuktu
Posts: 5,672
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

what??? none of you have bravo and echo??? iceman and goose, peeps... iceman and goose!!!
tomcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 06:53 AM   #73
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Other CW apart from the Tomcat's:

- A-6E VA-75
- A-7D "Scrappy"
- A-7E VA-93 (NF301)
- A-7E VA-86 (AJ401)

My collection theme:

Pretty much everything post-WWII + RAAF. My collection is really only focused on Western Air Force's, but I have got a few pieces from Asia too.
Nice, I'm liking all those SLUFs

So what do you have as far as Australia, and as far as the best of all, Tomcats?
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:09 AM   #74
Complete Wacko!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: timbuktu
Posts: 5,672
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by books View Post
Nice, I'm liking all those SLUFs

So what do you have as far as Australia, and as far as the best of all, Tomcats?
as far as australia... i'm waiting for a 747-400 wunala dreaming. not a fan of low vis greys so no raaf stuff. the best of all? the best of all? hmm... that's a tough one. i reckon that would be the cw bounty hunters.
tomcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:11 AM   #75
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatter View Post
as far as australia... i'm waiting for a 747-400 wunala dreaming. not a fan of low vis greys so no raaf stuff. the best of all? the best of all? hmm... that's a tough one. i reckon that would be the cw bounty hunters.
That was a question for Aardvark, you horrible, horrible, egoist!!

How dare you pretend to be like me and think everything's about you!! Lol...

More on your Bounty Hunters in a bit, but first, what's your Tomcat situation in general? Would help to know what you're comparing it to!
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:12 AM   #76
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

(PS Bounty Hunters is #1 on the list of Tomcats I badly want but don't have, so this shall be bittersweet for sure...)
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #77
Complete Wacko!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: timbuktu
Posts: 5,672
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by books View Post
That was a question for Aardvark, you horrible, horrible, egoist!!

How dare you pretend to be like me and think everything's about you!! Lol...

More on your Bounty Hunters in a bit, but first, what's your Tomcat situation in general? Would help to know what you're comparing it to!
first and foremost, i don't pretend nor do i assume. everything IS about ME.

hahaha... if it makes you feel better, the bounty hunter stands alone. but in all honesty, it stands beside the aj 101 only (don't ask me what's below and above them, though)

Quote:
Originally Posted by books View Post
(PS Bounty Hunters is #1 on the list of Tomcats I badly want but don't have, so this shall be bittersweet for sure...)
the story of the bounty hunters is kinda a strange tale too. like you, i was hunting for the bounty... and just when i almost gave up, it presented itself at a reasonable price to, i might add! take heart... you'll find your bounty soon. like supersphinxman said... they pop up at the most strangest of times and not necessarily costing you an arm and a leg.

i'm beginning to wonder whether supersphinxman meant me when he said he had to pony up when "a last minute bidder had a last minute wild bid". sorry about that, old chap. all's fair in love and diecast bidding war
tomcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:51 AM   #78
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by books View Post
Nice, I'm liking all those SLUFs

So what do you have as far as Australia, and as far as the best of all, Tomcats?
As for Tomcat's:

- F-14B VF-11
- F-14B VF-101 AD101
- F-14D VX-9

As for RAAF aircraft:

- HA1940
- HA2314
- HA4204
- HA3503
- HA3531
- HA3011
- HA3004

The RAAF isn't the major theme in my collection, but I single it out because I will only collect WWII aircraft that are RAAF.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:11 AM   #79
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
As for Tomcat's:

- F-14B VF-11
- F-14B VF-101 AD101
- F-14D VX-9
Nice, I see you've been stocking up on the new releases lately...

The new Grim Reapers and Red Rippers I'm sure are still well remembered around these forums, but it's cool how the test birds keep popping up as some special favorites too.

Personally I don't own one though, because hey, didn't anyone ever tell you black Cats are bad luck???

Quote:
The RAAF isn't the major theme in my collection, but I single it out because I will only collect WWII aircraft that are RAAF.
Oh, ok, gotcha. Between the specific mention of it, your profile, and your Australian location I guess I just assumed.

...so I'm curious now, what is the major focus of your collection?
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:18 AM   #80
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatter View Post
first and foremost, i don't pretend nor do i assume. everything IS about ME.

hahaha... if it makes you feel better, the bounty hunter stands alone. but in all honesty, it stands beside the aj 101 only (don't ask me what's below and above them, though)
So at first I thought you were referring to the Black Knights AJ101, like the one in geeforce9's cool thread, but now I'm coming around to thinking you're actually talking about the new AJ101, the Tomcatters black nose one we all already know you have. Am I getting that right?

...& then all the rest of the cash went to the mighty Blackbird fleet, the one that a Kremlinologist or UFO buff might guess you were inferring itself might include some additional secret (diecast) variants ???

WHAT ARE YOU NOT TELLING US????


Quote:
the story of the bounty hunters is kinda a strange tale too. like you, i was hunting for the bounty... and just when i almost gave up, it presented itself at a reasonable price to, i might add! take heart... you'll find your bounty soon. like supersphinxman said... they pop up at the most strangest of times and not necessarily costing you an arm and a leg.

i'm beginning to wonder whether supersphinxman meant me when he said he had to pony up when "a last minute bidder had a last minute wild bid". sorry about that, old chap. all's fair in love and diecast bidding war
Huh, that's a good story; let's hope the moral proves true, and someday soon! First the poor bank account needs a little time to heal a bit, though!

Thanks for the encouragement! I really have to add VF-2 and one of the black nose VF-41s someday...


Last edited by books; 07-16-2015 at 08:26 AM.
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:19 AM   #81
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by books View Post
Nice, I see you've been stocking up on the new releases lately...

The new Grim Reapers and Red Rippers I'm sure are still well remembered around these forums, but it's cool how the test birds keep popping up as some special favorites too.

Personally I don't own one though, because hey, didn't anyone ever tell you black Cats are bad luck???

Oh, ok, gotcha. Between the specific mention of it, your profile, and your Australian location I guess I just assumed.

...so I'm curious now, what is the major focus of your collection?
I fell in love with the striking red on the Grim Reapers Cat. It really stands out.

If you don't mind paying an arm and a leg, you can buy a brand new "Black Cat" from here:

https://hobbyco.com.au/century-wings...x-9-april-1999
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:37 AM   #82
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
I fell in love with the striking red on the Grim Reapers Cat. It really stands out.

If you don't mind paying an arm and a leg, you can buy a brand new "Black Cat" from here:

https://hobbyco.com.au/century-wings...x-9-april-1999
Thx!

Pete's here in the US still has 'em too I think, but I doubt I'll ever get one. Too many others I like more, plus it's always seemed to me like black might be the easiest one to do myself, if I ever get around to trying

I have the Reapers Tomato as well, and most definitely share your love for it
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:42 AM   #83
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Well, tried to confirm only to find out Pete's no longer has 'em, so I was wrong.

So it's ebay or the long, long trek to Australia, I guess, for those still wanting one
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:53 AM   #84
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by books View Post
Well, tried to confirm only to find out Pete's no longer has 'em, so I was wrong.

So it's ebay or the long, long trek to Australia, I guess, for those still wanting one
The 'Black Cat' is also a beautiful jet. I highly recommend it.

SKF did a review of it and BrazillianAce has some cool photos.

CW F-14D USN VX-9 Vampires, "Vandy 1" NAS Point Magu CW001601 in CENTURY WINGS Forum

http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...gs-1-72-a.html
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:56 AM   #85
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by books View Post
Well, tried to confirm only to find out Pete's no longer has 'em, so I was wrong.

So it's ebay or the long, long trek to Australia, I guess, for those still wanting one
I know that UkrainianFalcon is a New South Welshman (where the store is based). Maybe you could get him to buy and send it over to the States?

Sorry I can't help, I live on the cool side of the country.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #86
Complete Wacko!
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: timbuktu
Posts: 5,672
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
I know that UkrainianFalcon is a New South Welshman (where the store is based). Maybe you could get him to buy and send it over to the States?

Sorry I can't help, I live on the cool side of the country.
so he lives in the hot spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by books View Post
So at first I thought you were referring to the Black Knights AJ101, like the one in geeforce9's cool thread, but now I'm coming around to thinking you're actually talking about the new AJ101, the Tomcatters black nose one we all already know you have. Am I getting that right?

...& then all the rest of the cash went to the mighty Blackbird fleet, the one that a Kremlinologist or UFO buff might guess you were inferring itself might include some additional secret (diecast) variants ???

WHAT ARE YOU NOT TELLING US????
yups... the aj101 tomcatter. and the truth be told, i love the tomcats more than i love the blackbirds (i'm not using "blackbirder" as my nick, am i? )so that should already tell you quite a bit

as for the blackbirds... by today's measure, you really think all that money is going into the development of one fugly jack of all trades lightning 2? seriously?

Quote:
Huh, that's a good story; let's hope the moral proves true, and someday soon! First the poor bank account needs a little time to heal a bit, though!

Thanks for the encouragement! I really have to add VF-2 and one of the black nose VF-41s someday...

not a fairytale. fact. no worries... u'll soon get there. but with it comes a whole lot of nagging, among other things.
tomcatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:04 PM   #87
Senior Collector
 
supersphinxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 199
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by books View Post
So how about is, supersphinxman, do you think we could talk you into some pictures of the other shelves, HM etc?

Would be very interested to see what you have, & just as much to see how you display it...

Here are a few snaps of my other curio cabinet taken with my cellphone earlier this morning. You will have to excuse the poor lighting, I have to find a way to remedy that. The planes are sorta crammed in there for the time being until I can find some time to thin them out to another cabinet. Problem is, I have to find a location in the house for it. Funny thing is, the cabinets were actually cheaper than the diecast planes.















Majority of the planes in this one are the HM & Witty stuff along with the Minichamp tanks on the bottom shelf. There are a few CW planes sprinkled in there as well.

I still have to get a few pics of those home-made stands as well. I'll try to find time for that this evening.
supersphinxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:05 PM   #88
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 211
Default Actually. ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
I fell in love with the striking red on the Grim Reapers Cat. It really stands out.

If you don't mind paying an arm and a leg, you can buy a brand new "Black Cat" from here:

https://hobbyco.com.au/century-wings...x-9-april-1999
With the US$ vs. AU$ being what it is right now, I haven't paid so LITTLE $145 US INCLUDING shipping to the USA for a CW F-14D that I wanted. Thanks for the link. No only hope it makes it across the biggest pond and that either the Australian Post or USPS destoys it.
MSACOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #89
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Wow.

Great looking display!! Hard to say anything more than that really, but one thing I did notices is that it looks like those shelves are nice and deep, so you can get some horizontal stacking going on. Nice
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:09 PM   #90
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcatter View Post

as for the blackbirds... by today's measure, you really think all that money is going into the development of one fugly jack of all trades lightning 2? seriously?
No, but I definitely do think the strategic recon stuff these days is all space based, as far as the spooky, secret, high-end stuff that complements the U-2s, Global Hawks, RC-135s, etc. (I see the RQ-180 as having more of a tactical targeting role...but maybe this is just a limitation of my imagination...) Don't think I've ever personally come across anything that would convince me there was ever an Aurora, fascinating though it would have been...

As for the F-35 specifically, yeah, I believe that beast of a program has spent literally every dollar it's ever claimed to, and probably quite a bit more that it hasn't

Last edited by books; 07-16-2015 at 03:14 PM.
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:11 PM   #91
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Killer collection of CW "JR" Tomcats!

I do not have a CW "JR" Tomcat

Let's see your "Spooks" collection
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:20 PM   #92
Senior Collector
 
supersphinxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 199
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
Killer collection of CW "JR" Tomcats!

I do not have a CW "JR" Tomcat

Let's see your "Spooks" collection
I surmise from your username that you may have that arena well covered. I only have 24 at the moment with plenty others on a wishlist so to speak.
supersphinxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:57 PM   #93
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: Actually. ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSACOF View Post
With the US$ vs. AU$ being what it is right now, I haven't paid so LITTLE $145 US INCLUDING shipping to the USA for a CW F-14D that I wanted. Thanks for the link. No only hope it makes it across the biggest pond and that either the Australian Post or USPS destoys it.
No worries, mate, I'm happy to help. Good luck with the postage. Australia Post is slow but I've never post a package through them.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 03:59 PM   #94
I Have Missile Lock!
 
Spooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Angels 54
Posts: 1,459
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

"Spooky" is actually connected with the work I do...

Only got hooked on HM Spooks two months ago, have five:

"Scat XXV11"; "Shamrocks"; "JR" 1964; "JR" 1968; "Op Bolo".

See you have X-P 330098 "Sundowners"...

How do you like it compared to HM Spook?

You got an extra CW "JR" Tomcat to sell me?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RCAF F-86 Sabres Rock!
Spooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:03 PM   #95
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ETNG/LSZH
Age: 30
Posts: 1,121
Send a message via ICQ to 777-300ER
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post
"Spooky" is actually connected with the work I do...

Only got hooked on HM Spooks two months ago, have five:

"Scat XXV11"; "Shamrocks"; "JR" 1964; "JR" 1968; "Op Bolo".

See you have X-P 330098 "Sundowners"...

How do you like it compared to HM Spook?

You got an extra CW "JR" Tomcat to sell me?
Get the XPlus Sundowners. It's one of my favorite F-4s. And you can get lucky and pick one up for cheap. They are way more detailed than HMs Phantoms. Downside is it's nearly impossible to put the pilots in. You also can't display it with the canopies open as they don't open wide enough. Some people don't like the moving rudder.
777-300ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:15 PM   #96
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky View Post

Only got hooked on HM Spooks two months ago, have five:

See you have X-P 330098 "Sundowners"...
Five Phantoms in two months, and not cheapies either, is pretty awesome. Congrats on that. It certainly does compare awkwardly with that "self-restrained" label you've got there, though...lol

I have the rainbow Phantom too, and I've got to say that it might be my favorite Spook, bar only Showtime 100. There's something about the geometry nose/canopy area that just seems...I dunno...better somehow. Am not enough of a Phantom expert to feel comfortable publicly claiming that it's better, but I certainly like it better. The more appropriately grey paint is a huge help too, and of course the detailing is generally better, as befits the higher price...

The comparison class on that is, most directly, the others I own (Showtime, Black Aces, Terrible Tyke, 30 Years Phabulous),but I've also looked pretty closely at a majority of the Navy/Marine Corps spooks HM has put out, because once I get my Tomcats squared away the Phantoms are next!!!
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #97
Senior Collector
 
books's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: a transneptunian region near you!
Posts: 397
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777-300ER View Post
Get the XPlus Sundowners. It's one of my favorite F-4s. And you can get lucky and pick one up for cheap. They are way more detailed than HMs Phantoms. Downside is it's nearly impossible to put the pilots in. You also can't display it with the canopies open as they don't open wide enough. Some people don't like the moving rudder.
Yeah, nice points. Can't have the canopy open next to HMs because the angles are different. IMO it looks ok in this configuration if it's not exactly next to them, though...
books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:18 PM   #98
Senior Collector
 
supersphinxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 199
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

I love the X-Plus and Air Commander F-4s that I have. I like the one-piece wheel setup for the wings that XP & AC uses compared to the HM wheels. One reason why I have all but 2 of the HM F-4s in flight configuration. Only complaint I have regarding XP & AC are the fitting for the wing armaments. Looks crooked and needs glue to keep in place. The pilots that came with the X-Plus F-4 Sundowners was larger than the HM pilots, so was tough trying to fit them in. So I swapped them out with a couple HM pilots.
supersphinxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:26 PM   #99
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: ETNG/LSZH
Age: 30
Posts: 1,121
Send a message via ICQ to 777-300ER
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Actually I find the fitting on the XPlus and AC phantoms better than on the newer HMs.
777-300ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 04:40 PM   #100
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Model Hangar 3
Posts: 1,589
Default Re: My Century Wings Tomcat Lineup

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersphinxman View Post
I love the X-Plus and Air Commander F-4s that I have. I like the one-piece wheel setup for the wings that XP & AC uses compared to the HM wheels. One reason why I have all but 2 of the HM F-4s in flight configuration. Only complaint I have regarding XP & AC are the fitting for the wing armaments. Looks crooked and needs glue to keep in place. The pilots that came with the X-Plus F-4 Sundowners was larger than the HM pilots, so was tough trying to fit them in. So I swapped them out with a couple HM pilots.
I like the XP and AC Phantoms as well, but given the same livery, I'd go with HM due to the price point, even though that is decreasing. The Midway MiG Killers are awesome together imo.

The gear on the HM Phantoms is atrocious, but I got used to them. I prefer them on modified Witty stands rather than their stock stands. (F-14 or F-15). It gives the extra room for aircraft to be displayed below them. They look best with gear down to me though. It ends up being a space issue.

Not only have accumulated a great selection of CW Tomcats, but you seem to have found several rare HM Phantoms, Hogs, and even a CW Korat A-7.

I agree that a minimum of 3 Intruders is essential to a collection as well.

Excellent taste.

Last edited by Skinner67; 07-16-2015 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Corrected Witty Stand Type For HM F-4
Skinner67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
century wings , f-14 , jolly rogers , tomcat

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Latest Threads
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.