Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200] - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > Military Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-18-2012, 06:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

SCALE: 1/72
MANUFACTURER: GRUMMAN
MODEL: F-14A TOMCAT
SPECIFICATIONS: US NAVY "JOLLY ROGERS VF-84"
BRAND: WITTY WINGS

---

Simply put, I can't afford the Century Wings version (if not exactly the same as this one, at least, any of the CAG Jolly Rogers variant). I've had good experience with Witty Wings, specially the F-14 knowing my first aircraft model came from them, not to mention, that too, is a Jolly Rogers F-14A but in low-visibility markings. Only time told me that it was this moment to pull the trigger again on another F-14 with the Skull and Bones tailfin... this time, in the more famous, inspiring, colorful version.

The Jolly Rogers is quite a famous squadron, thanks mainly to the simple connotion of the Skull-and-Bones. Nothing depicts more fear, in my opinion, than this.

The Final Countdown and The Executive Decision are just few examples of the movies that took the Skull Adorned F-14 into Hollywood. The legendary Macross anime depicts that being part of the Skull Squadron means you belong into an elite class of air and space combat fighters.

Anyway, putting this pop-culture aside let's just go back to reality that this is any F-14A with the dreaded P&W engine that plagued it. Perhaps, the colorful liveries that adorned it's tails and the movies that took it to Hollywood's skies saved it. But come on, we all know, irregardless of what this bird looks like from the outside... it did the job it was assigned to do and in a formiddable form as the looks told us that it would do.

2006 saw the F-14 into retirement, and I am just one of many who miss the 'Cat dearly.

---








The tail, the tail... oh that beautifully adorned tail!

---

I'll come up with an F-14 on the air composite image soon... It's quite a chore to do that today, so I'll reserve that for later... For now, enjoy the current afterburn-on images!

Thanks for Looking!
SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-18-2012, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Why-Vee-Are
 
firefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 2,507
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Excellent photos especially the afterburner snap. It looks so real. Your excellent photography of your models is source of motivation for this expensive hobby.
firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
mar_ji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 1,934
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

that famous skull and bones will always remain iconic...specially on the same iconic aircraft as the F-14 Tomcat.......Anytime, Baby...........another brilliant photography, SW.....keep going......
mar_ji is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
Death casted 3 years ago
 
bobspansuarpetak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: KfL
Posts: 63
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweptWings View Post
SCALE: 1/72
MANUFACTURER: GRUMMAN
MODEL: F-14A TOMCAT
SPECIFICATIONS: US NAVY "JOLLY ROGERS VF-84"
BRAND: WITTY WINGS

---

Simply put, I can't afford the Century Wings version (if not exactly the same as this one, at least, any of the CAG Jolly Rogers variant). I've had good experience with Witty Wings, specially the F-14 knowing my first aircraft model came from them, not to mention, that too, is a Jolly Rogers F-14A but in low-visibility markings. Only time told me that it was this moment to pull the trigger again on another F-14 with the Skull and Bones tailfin... this time, in the more famous, inspiring, colorful version.

The Jolly Rogers is quite a famous squadron, thanks mainly to the simple connotion of the Skull-and-Bones. Nothing depicts more fear, in my opinion, than this.

The Final Countdown and The Executive Decision are just few examples of the movies that took the Skull Adorned F-14 into Hollywood. The legendary Macross anime depicts that being part of the Skull Squadron means you belong into an elite class of air and space combat fighters.

Anyway, putting this pop-culture aside let's just go back to reality that this is any F-14A with the dreaded P&W engine that plagued it. Perhaps, the colorful liveries that adorned it's tails and the movies that took it to Hollywood's skies saved it. But come on, we all know, irregardless of what this bird looks like from the outside... it did the job it was assigned to do and in a formiddable form as the looks told us that it would do.

2006 saw the F-14 into retirement, and I am just one of many who miss the 'Cat dearly.

---








The tail, the tail... oh that beautifully adorned tail!

---

I'll come up with an F-14 on the air composite image soon... It's quite a chore to do that today, so I'll reserve that for later... For now, enjoy the current afterburn-on images!

Thanks for Looking!

Well sweptwings, at list your pictography make the substandard brand (to somebody) looks terrific! Just look at the canopy particularly on the front portion as per captured by you above, boy it looks spot on compare to the CW. Still, there's is a hardcore CW fan out there will defend it like there was no tomorrow.
bobspansuarpetak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #5 (permalink)
Collector
 
PythonOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 79
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspansuarpetak View Post
Well sweptwings, at list your pictography make the substandard brand (to somebody) looks terrific! Just look at the canopy particularly on the front portion as per captured by you above, boy it looks spot on compare to the CW. Still, there's is a hardcore CW fan out there will defend it like there was no tomorrow.
I'll be the CW fan and mention at least they didn't install it upside down. I always feel like Witty got the direction mixed up, why is the round portion of the canopy at the bottom? It should be rounded off on the top, like so:


In the older Witty Wings F-14 model, they didn't have this problem. It was actually rounded on top, then after then began tinting the front, they got it upside down - which is weird
PythonOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #6 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Model Hangar 3
Posts: 1,589
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspansuarpetak View Post
Well sweptwings, at list your pictography make the substandard brand (to somebody) looks terrific! Just look at the canopy particularly on the front portion as per captured by you above, boy it looks spot on compare to the CW. Still, there's is a hardcore CW fan out there will defend it like there was no tomorrow.
Yes, I have to agree that Sweptwings has done an excellent job capturing Witty's F-14. The pics look great and compliment the model well.

However... (here it comes)... I wouldn't display one of these anywhere near a CW Tomcat. It is what it is: a Witty Tomcat. I grant you that the seam at the bottom of the windscreen is tighter than the CW, but the shape, as pointed out, is wrong. The canopy itself has that signature Witty gap along the bottom, as seen in the profile view. It's just as bad as the Witty and HM double seater F-16. The gap between the ventral fins and the fuselage as well as on the fuselage itself really draw my attention.

I could go on and on, but for the price, this is a decent representation and should be treated as such. I'm no rivet counter, and buy from nearly all makers, but I personally don't like the Witty paint. It's not as realistic to me as the CW, and this is an opinion. I know many people prefer the smoother panel lines of the Witty F-14 F/A-18 and others, but I prefer a deeper panel line. I think HM found the perfect middle ground with their legacy Hornet and century series models. I guess what it comes down to is that I would prefer one CW Tomcat on my shelf, rather than three Wittys. It all comes to personal taste, and I think we can all agree that we should be entitled to our own opinions.

Sorry Sweptwings. I don't think this thread is the place to bicker over F-14 manufacturer preferences. You've shown Witty's product in an exceptional light, and I compliment you.
Skinner67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:46 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
CarbonPlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 919
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweptWings View Post
Simply put, I can't afford the Century Wings version
It's reason enough not to buy CW. The JR schemes can go for "crazy" prices on ebay.
CarbonPlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 334
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Damnit python - now that you've pointed that out it's going to bug me all the time. haha. Strange mistake to make...

BTW - what's going on with the refueling probe on that Tomcat photo you posted. He's missing the external doors...? Surely that would create a hell of a lot of unnecessary drag on the fuselage...
Comco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by PythonOne View Post
I'll be the CW fan and mention at least they didn't install it upside down. I always feel like Witty got the direction mixed up, why is the round portion of the canopy at the bottom? It should be rounded off on the top, like so:


In the older Witty Wings F-14 model, they didn't have this problem. It was actually rounded on top, then after then began tinting the front, they got it upside down - which is weird
I can confirm on the quote in blue-bold letters. My other Witty F-14 (Low Visibility Variant) has the rounded portion to the top. I too find it strange why this variant in my post has the rounded portion the other way around...

I prefer Witty's F-14 for the price to pay for. CW is indeed expensive, but I think it does look better in many ways than Witty's. But overall, I am satisfied having just paid half the price of a CW.

No problem with the debate, I think it'll be a healthy discussion and it'll be nice to point out those errors.

SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 AM   #10 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonPlane View Post
It's reason enough not to buy CW. The JR schemes can go for "crazy" prices on ebay.
Yup. As long as I get the Skull and Bones on the tail fin of an F-14, I am happy! Besides, I always had a happy feeling with my Witty models despite the many flaws the brand is plagued with! LoL!
SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner67 View Post
Yes, I have to agree that Sweptwings has done an excellent job capturing Witty's F-14. The pics look great and compliment the model well.

However... (here it comes)... I wouldn't display one of these anywhere near a CW Tomcat. It is what it is: a Witty Tomcat. I grant you that the seam at the bottom of the windscreen is tighter than the CW, but the shape, as pointed out, is wrong. The canopy itself has that signature Witty gap along the bottom, as seen in the profile view. It's just as bad as the Witty and HM double seater F-16. The gap between the ventral fins and the fuselage as well as on the fuselage itself really draw my attention.

I could go on and on, but for the price, this is a decent representation and should be treated as such. I'm no rivet counter, and buy from nearly all makers, but I personally don't like the Witty paint. It's not as realistic to me as the CW, and this is an opinion. I know many people prefer the smoother panel lines of the Witty F-14 F/A-18 and others, but I prefer a deeper panel line. I think HM found the perfect middle ground with their legacy Hornet and century series models. I guess what it comes down to is that I would prefer one CW Tomcat on my shelf, rather than three Wittys. It all comes to personal taste, and I think we can all agree that we should be entitled to our own opinions.

Sorry Sweptwings. I don't think this thread is the place to bicker over F-14 manufacturer preferences. You've shown Witty's product in an exceptional light, and I compliment you.
On the other hand, I wish Witty would make the panel lines a bit deeper. The paint isn't realistic too as I agree with that. Even my Low-Vis version seem to have some sort of sheen on it. HM's gray paint, in comparison, has always been perfectly matte-finished for my taste.

I think the term "middle ground" to describe HM is correct. They have the perfect balance of quality and price to pay for. I love their F-22s and F-18s! I have yet to get their F-16, as soon as the color scheme I am waiting for comes out of their factory... and I should pull the trigger on one of their F-5E Tigers someday!

SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:47 AM   #12 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Model Hangar 3
Posts: 1,589
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweptWings View Post
... and I should pull the trigger on one of their F-5E Tigers someday!

Now is the time. We've got the Luke AFB F-5E with SEA camo just arriving and Red 23 coming up soon.

I have the Paris Air Show HA3304 and Sundowers HA3301. They are great little models. Hobby Master's F-5 mold is very detailed and impressive. I have the Luke AFB HA3314 that just arrived yesterday, but is still in the UPS box. I can't wait to get it opened up.
Skinner67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:42 PM   #13 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 24
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Great Photos, do you plan on getting any JR F/A-18s?
mookie098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookie098 View Post
Great Photos, do you plan on getting any JR F/A-18s?
I reserved any F-18 model picks to Hobby Master only. Time will tell if they will make one adorned with the JR tail.

SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #15 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Model Hangar 3
Posts: 1,589
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweptWings View Post
I reserved any F-18 model picks to Hobby Master only. Time will tell if they will make one adorned with the JR tail.

I hope you're aware that the Jolly Rogers never flew the legacy Hornets currently being made by HM. Witty F/A-18E/Fs are the only game in town for the forseeable future in that livery. They are rather limited production runs as well. Who knows. Maybe Witty will release a few more JR Super Hornets.
Skinner67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #16 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner67 View Post
I hope you're aware that the Jolly Rogers never flew the legacy Hornets currently being made by HM. Witty F/A-18E/Fs are the only game in town for the forseeable future in that livery. They are rather limited production runs as well. Who knows. Maybe Witty will release a few more JR Super Hornets.

Is that so... But then, I don't really like the look of the Super Hornet .

Always preferred the legacy ones. Imo, they're considerably smaller and more aggressive than their bigger siblings. The Super Hornet, I don't know... it looks like they've been stretched in certain areas to look bigger and then, there are the rectangular intakes, which in my opinion (again), has always been better with the rounded ones and should've kept it that way.

Guess no F-18 JR's for me then...

Last edited by SweptWings; 12-19-2012 at 01:48 PM.
SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 413
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweptWings View Post
On the other hand, I wish Witty would make the panel lines a bit deeper. The paint isn't realistic too as I agree with that. Even my Low-Vis version seem to have some sort of sheen on it. HM's gray paint, in comparison, has always been perfectly matte-finished for my taste.


If you wish to accentuate the panel lines on Witty models, I recommend taking a soft-lead pencil and drawing in the panel lines. It can look really good and even take off a bit of the sheen. If you end up not liking it, simply wash it off with dish soap and water.
AIRWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
CarbonPlane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 919
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweptWings View Post
But then, I don't really like the look of the Super Hornet .

Guess no F-18 JR's for me then...
Too bad you dont like the look. The Super Hornet is actually Witty's best model. AFAIK there are no flaws worth mentioning.
CarbonPlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #19 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRWOLF View Post
If you wish to accentuate the panel lines on Witty models, I recommend taking a soft-lead pencil and drawing in the panel lines. It can look really good and even take off a bit of the sheen. If you end up not liking it, simply wash it off with dish soap and water.
Thanks for the tip. Good technique too as it is washable in case it becomes necessary.
SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:45 PM   #20 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonPlane View Post
Too bad you dont like the look. The Super Hornet is actually Witty's best model. AFAIK there are no flaws worth mentioning.

I've been hearing good things about Witty's Super Hornet. But, that's how it is... No Super Hornet guy here...

Last edited by SweptWings; 12-19-2012 at 05:12 PM.
SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:01 PM   #21 (permalink)
Two O's in Goose
 
G8D7-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 480
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Excellent photos swept! Gotta love that JR scheme, even if it's not CW .

With that being said, I still wouldn't get a Witty, just because I tend not to like their models. Similar to Skinner, I like the deep (noticeable) panel lines and the paint looks too toyish. But hot damn, these pictures alone could still change my mind.. If I wasn't broke.

Therefore, I'll try to cover those pictures when I come back in this thread
__________________
Lest We Forget

Two O's in Goose
G8D7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:09 PM   #22 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8D7- View Post
Excellent photos swept! Gotta love that JR scheme, even if it's not CW .

With that being said, I still wouldn't get a Witty, just because I tend not to like their models. Similar to Skinner, I like the deep (noticeable) panel lines and the paint looks too toyish. But hot damn, these pictures alone could still change my mind.. If I wasn't broke.

Therefore, I'll try to cover those pictures when I come back in this thread

Imagine a scenario when HM makes the F-14? How I wish!!!
That'll put a balance to the F-14 I could ever want!

Last edited by SweptWings; 12-19-2012 at 05:12 PM.
SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #23 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Well, here she is, the image composite...
Hitting the skies at supersonic speed!

Thanks for Looking!

SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Two O's in Goose
 
G8D7-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 480
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweptWings View Post
Well, here she is, the image composite...
Hitting the skies at supersonic speed!

Thanks for Looking!

Now that is truly a beauty!

Is there a ghost flying?
__________________
Lest We Forget

Two O's in Goose
G8D7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #25 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
mar_ji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 1,934
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

you forgot to put in the pilots,sw....a fantastic shot in any case...
mar_ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]



Actually, the pilot is there. Sadly, in this angle of shot, and the fact that Witty installed the pilot way too forward and too low off the seat, it almost disappeared!

Cheers!

SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #27 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
mar_ji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 1,934
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

oh,yeah....now i see it....lol.........I got both Cw and Witty and i just love both models....in some ways,I prefer witty with is neatly done joints which are tight and level....just look how cw phoenix pallets are attached...very wide gap....and still not corrected...

Last edited by mar_ji; 12-20-2012 at 06:33 PM.
mar_ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:36 PM   #28 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_ji View Post
oh,yeah....now i see it....lol.........I got both Cw and Witty and i just love both models....in some ways,I prefer witty with is neatly done joints which are tight and level....just look how cw phoenix pallets are attached...very wide gap....and still not corrected...
I guess it's a matter of pros and cons with both brands. Strange that something as expensive as CWs would have those gaps. Although, this Witty too, is plagued with gaps here and there.

While both brands suffer problems at some point, at least we know, Witty is half or even a third of CWs price.

SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #29 (permalink)
Two O's in Goose
 
G8D7-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canuckistan
Posts: 480
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Just pretend a 12 year old took it for a joy ride
__________________
Lest We Forget

Two O's in Goose
G8D7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #30 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
mar_ji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 1,934
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

as our saying goes....get whatever model we want....never get influenced or carried away by what someone says......just do it....
mar_ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #31 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Long Island
Posts: 413
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Do the pilots come out?

If they do, you might want to replace them with one from the HM pilots pack.
AIRWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #32 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mar_ji View Post
as our saying goes....get whatever model we want....never get influenced or carried away by what someone says......just do it....
And with that, Witty is my best pick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRWOLF View Post
Do the pilots come out?

If they do, you might want to replace them with one from the HM pilots pack.
The pilots on Witty F-14s (at least on the two F-14s that I have) are seated permanently. Would love to pluck them out, but I am more worried that I might snap my movements and damage the canopy instead.

I guess I'll just have to stick around with them!
SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #33 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
FirNaTine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 18
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

I don't post here much but lurk everyday. Haven't bought a model in awhile do to being low on funds and laid off.

With that being said, I had to post to say to Swept Wings, they are some awesome pics of a awesome aircraft. I might have to bug the wife to let me get one. I have a Frankiln Mint 1:48 scale of the JR F-14 but want one to compliment my few other 1:72 scale ones. And like you I will go for the Witty Wings one because of price as well. Its still a great model that most will enjoy.

Thanks again dude and keep it up.
FirNaTine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:03 AM   #34 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirNaTine View Post
I don't post here much but lurk everyday. Haven't bought a model in awhile do to being low on funds and laid off.

With that being said, I had to post to say to Swept Wings, they are some awesome pics of a awesome aircraft. I might have to bug the wife to let me get one. I have a Frankiln Mint 1:48 scale of the JR F-14 but want one to compliment my few other 1:72 scale ones. And like you I will go for the Witty Wings one because of price as well. Its still a great model that most will enjoy.

Thanks again dude and keep it up.

If you're on a budget and still want to keep the hobby alive (we all need a piece of something to enjoy, right!?) such as keeping up with a line of 1:72 JR F-14s, I would recommend this model. Just like I've said, nearly all model brands have their pros and cons, the difference comes in the price. And Witty compared to CW, in my opinion, will be a good choice, if not the perfect choice!

SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #35 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
mar_ji's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: the netherlands
Posts: 1,934
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

its the absurd and ridiculous price of CW that keeps collectors away from buying....seeing still their very old models sitting on the shelve of several retailers....
mar_ji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #36 (permalink)
Made in Japan
 
ANA Mohican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Honolulu, in Grass Hut
Age: 53
Posts: 386
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

I don't say much in the forum but want to let you know that I enjoy your pics. Keep it up.

I stopped buying CW Tomcats a couple of years ago due to its rising price with the QC issues. Before that, I was very happy with CW. I picked up CW F-14 Sundowner from the Mule for $29.99 (Christmas Sale), cheaper than 1/144 CW Tomcat. Best purchase I made.

Last edited by ANA Mohican; 12-21-2012 at 12:24 PM.
ANA Mohican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #37 (permalink)
Makoto Shinjo
 
SweptWings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Area 88
Posts: 252
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANA Mohican View Post
I don't say much in the forum but want to let you know that I enjoy your pics. Keep it up.

I stopped buying CW Tomcats a couple of years ago due to its rising price with the QC issues. Before that, I was very happy with CW. I picked up CW F-14 Sundowner from the Mule for $29.99 (Christmas Sale), cheaper than 1/144 CW Tomcat. Best purchase I made.
I really need to keep an eye on the Mule's site this season. Actually, I really am surprised how they manage to drop those prices down. I assume it does help when you buy more than one or two models at a time. Perhaps, you used a coupon too?

SweptWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #38 (permalink)
Made in Japan
 
ANA Mohican's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Honolulu, in Grass Hut
Age: 53
Posts: 386
Default Re: Witty Wings WT-WTW72009-23 F-14A Tomcat [Jolly Rogers VF-84, AJ200]

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweptWings View Post
I really need to keep an eye on the Mule's site this season. Actually, I really am surprised how they manage to drop those prices down. I assume it does help when you buy more than one or two models at a time. Perhaps, you used a coupon too?

The Mule used to have their annual Christmas sales section just above the Hangar Queen link, but that was then. No coupon was necessary. They even sent me a free Calendar. Good price & Good service. The Sundowner wasn't a good seller back then when everyone was going nuts over Jolly Rogers.
ANA Mohican is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.

Latest Threads
- by DUS23L
- by ams026
- by zachg
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.