DA.C

DA.C (https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/)
-   Manufacturers (https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/manufacturers/)
-   -   How does production work? (https://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/manufacturers/195538-how-does-production-work.html)

GoingForGold 03-12-2016 10:43 AM

How does production work?
 
Hi there!

I'm a collector myself and own 1:200 planes in a wide variety of quality. From $20 plastic to $200 full metal airliner is everything represented.

What I wanted to know.. How does production of these planes work?

I guess the plastic models are casted in a mold (or die, hence the name). But how is the paint applied? Are there special printers which are able to print on the round surface? Is it tampon printing? I guess at least the $20 snap fit models always use the same processes which are highly automated.

Is anyone able to help me out with information? Or even pictures and videos?

Thanks a lot!

GoingForGold 03-12-2016 12:14 PM

Re: How does production work?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomcatter (Post 1803906)

you got me at tampon printing LOL

thats at least what its called in my language :D wikipedia suggests it might be pad printing or tampography in english ;)

arctic9048 03-12-2016 04:28 PM

Re: How does production work?
 
35 Attachment(s)
Inflight200 - Production

GoingForGold 03-12-2016 05:16 PM

Re: How does production work?
 
Thanks so much, this is a good start :) They also mention tampoprint. However, in my understanding tampoprint is always one colour (per "stamp"). Depending on the model, this would mean a whole lot stamps, think about the SFO livery of SWISS HB-JMJ, which not only has about all available colours on it, but also gradients.

Mike777 03-13-2016 03:00 AM

Re: How does production work?
 
I can tell you one thing about GeminiJets' production: they skip the quality control aspect. LOL

TerenceW 03-13-2016 04:02 AM

Re: How does production work?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by arctic9048 (Post 1804266)

For a moment there I thought they were actually working on a re-release of the UAL 744 Battleship. :sad:

Ukrainian_Falcons 03-13-2016 05:53 AM

Re: How does production work?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike777 (Post 1804714)
I can tell you one thing about GeminiJets' production: they skip the quality control aspect. LOL

If you think there the only ones skipping that process, your kidding yourself, every last one of them has no QC, from IF to Eagle, so there's no need to get butt hurt by Tomcatters smart @$$ comment

Diogenes the Cynic 03-13-2016 07:02 AM

Re: How does production work?
 
is that witty wings in the photo's?

Upkeep 03-13-2016 08:20 AM

Re: How does production work?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoingForGold (Post 1803922)
thats at least what its called in my language :D wikipedia suggests it might be pad printing or tampography in english ;)

In forum-land here, it would simply be known as 'tampo' printing.

Be careful with Wikipoodia. The accuracy can be questionable at times.

T7_4ever 03-13-2016 06:25 PM

Re: How does production work?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TerenceW (Post 1804770)
For a moment there I thought they were actually working on a re-release of the UAL 744 Battleship. :sad:

Be patient. I'm quite confident that the UA 744 battleship livery will be rolled out by Inflight 200 later this year. It's not a matter of 'if', but 'when' they will re-release this beauty to the collectors. It's on approach. ;) Cheers! T7

Surinam Air 747 03-14-2016 09:59 AM

Re: How does production work?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by T7_4ever (Post 1805490)
Be patient. I'm quite confident that the UA 744 battleship livery will be rolled out by Inflight 200 later this year. It's not a matter of 'if', but 'when' they will re-release this beauty to the collectors. It's on approach. ;) Cheers! T7

I really hope so, I really hope it's true that they will release it soon!! :D

GoingForGold 03-14-2016 04:53 PM

Re: How does production work?
 
soooo... thanks guys LOL

May I ask again; how are diecast models produced? I'm especially interested in the printing process as I can not imagine how you would tampo print models with a lot colors or designs that go around the model.

Cheers!

TerenceW 03-15-2016 06:47 AM

Re: How does production work?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GoingForGold (Post 1806674)
soooo... thanks guys LOL

May I ask again; how are diecast models produced? I'm especially interested in the printing process as I can not imagine how you would tampo print models with a lot colors or designs that go around the model.

Cheers!

Sorry GoingForGold!

Here's a video from YouTube that shows diecast model production. Not model aircraft but most likely very similar. Time index 2:04 shows tampo printing.

https://youtu.be/GSJ6CuF8Rlw

I can't find it now but there was a video on YouTube from the Herpa factory on diecast aircraft I think.

KLM4me 03-15-2016 12:31 PM

Re: How does production work?
 
I asked this question months ago and received no responses. Years ago, Crownvic posted some factory photos. I sent him a PM a month or so ago asking if he would be willing to post new ones, but never received a response. Perhaps he is not permitted to post factory photos.

tomcatter 03-15-2016 01:23 PM

Re: How does production work?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ukrainian_Falcons (Post 1804850)
If you think there the only ones skipping that process, your kidding yourself, every last one of them has no QC, from IF to Eagle, so there's no need to get butt hurt by Tomcatters smart @$$ comment

what smartass comment? (feigns ignorance) :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by KLM4me (Post 1808450)
I asked this question months ago and received no responses. Years ago, Crownvic posted some factory photos. I sent him a PM a month or so ago asking if he would be willing to post new ones, but never received a response. Perhaps he is not permitted to post factory photos.

i recall seeing those pictures too but they've probably been deleted since, and if so i can't blame crownvic for not wanting to share anymore production pics. it's a pity, though. it offered collectors a rare glimpse of what it was like inside the diecast model factory.

GoingForGold 03-15-2016 01:56 PM

Re: How does production work?
 
I found a german video by herpa: http://youtu.be/a85GU8gtSTg

make.me.laugh 03-15-2016 05:47 PM

Re: How does production work?
 
G'day,

Found on youtube: Diecast Model Manufacturing in China (for cars) It's 4 minutes long and includes how tampo printing works...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSJ6CuF8Rlw

how a Herpa AN-225 is made: (In german) 1/400 scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGurSXIUNqE

And how models are designed (Herpa - German) and made 1/200 scale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a85GU8gtSTg

Cheers Lou

Ukrainian_Falcons 03-17-2016 06:42 AM

Re: How does production work?
 
I want all my models made in Germany !! Lol

Diogenes the Cynic 03-25-2016 02:48 PM

Re: How does production work?
 
Here's a photo from a factory visit I made a while ago in China. Not many diecast planes there (but they did alot of 1/72 plastic airplane kits for a UK company), only trains (for the same UK company), and cars.

The pad printing is like silk screening, they have a number of plates of the image which the paint is screened off and then picked up by the silicone/rubber pads and then transferred to the model. they do one color at a time as you can see in the photo.
Youtube video made by someone else https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdDd9p6tVSY

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/DSC02134.jpg

The mould making department
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/DSC02150.jpg

Diecast cars like Australian Holden model cars in the factory too.
http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/DSC02136.jpg


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.