Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016 - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Clearance Delivery > General Squawk Talk

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-04-2016, 10:15 AM   #1 (permalink)
Retired the Hobby
 
Surinam Air 747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,707
Default Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

I'm thinking about purchasing one or the other this year but I really don't know much about either brand, I have never driven either brand before but I'm leaning towards the Kia Sorento 2016 model...

Has anyone on here also purchased either the Sorento or Santa Fe models in the past or present & which SUV is the better choice to own..??
__________________
I WANT TO BELIEVE...

...that one day I will see many more colorful JC Wings MD-11 models and the long-awaited Gemini 200 TWA twin stripes 727-200!

I always fly America's favorite airline: Southwest Airlines and the World's oldest KLM!

Paris was the greatest city on earth! Vive la France! Tokyo 2020!
Surinam Air 747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Aviation Geek
 
A Tupolev's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 6,659
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

There both basically the same vehicle. Difference is styling. Under the sheet metal are the same mechanics. We've own two Kia's, still have one. Very reliable transportation, but not very exciting to drive. I would still recommend the Subaru Forester over ether of these SUV's.
__________________
Radicalized American
A Tupolev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
DC8-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lake County, Fl
Posts: 1,300
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

a coworker of mine has a late Kia Sorrento and puts a TON of miles on it, very reliable car. I personally would consider the Mazda SUV one member here recently had issues with, most likely a minor electronic glitch with the trans so he decided to dump it. auto transmissions are very high tech nowadays controlled by the PCM and all brands across the board have issues with a few.

now if Hyundai would just release this already!

http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/16/02/980...santa-cruz.jpg
DC8-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-04-2016, 09:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surinam Air 747 View Post
I'm thinking about purchasing one or the other this year but I really don't know much about either brand, I have never driven either brand before but I'm leaning towards the Kia Sorento 2016 model...

Has anyone on here also purchased either the Sorento or Santa Fe models in the past or present & which SUV is the better choice to own..??
Find Youtube reviews if they exist by

SaabKyle04
EngineeringExplained
SubaruWRXFan
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:41 PM   #5 (permalink)
Frogger
 
arctic9048's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ATL
Age: 37
Posts: 2,609
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC8-dude View Post
a coworker of mine has a late Kia Sorrento and puts a TON of miles on it, very reliable car. I personally would consider the Mazda SUV one member here recently had issues with, most likely a minor electronic glitch with the trans so he decided to dump it. auto transmissions are very high tech nowadays controlled by the PCM and all brands across the board have issues with a few.

now if Hyundai would just release this already!

http://roa.h-cdn.co/assets/16/02/980...santa-cruz.jpg
It was not a minor electronic glitch. They did a full transmission replacement.
arctic9048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
DC8-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lake County, Fl
Posts: 1,300
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic9048 View Post
It was not a minor electronic glitch. They did a full transmission replacement.
but i am sure it was covered under the powertrain warranty. ***** happens tho, being a mechanic myself, at work we have a fleet of 20 brand new 2016 $135k Freightliners. one of them is back at the dealer as the auto trans burned up with only 4000 miles on it!

i own a 2007 Mazda MX-5 with 82K on the clock now and have had only two issues with it, a bad gas cap and a thermostat.... very reliable.
DC8-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Frogger
 
arctic9048's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ATL
Age: 37
Posts: 2,609
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC8-dude View Post
but i am sure it was covered under the powertrain warranty. ***** happens tho, being a mechanic myself, at work we have a fleet of 20 brand new 2016 $135k Freightliners. one of them is back at the dealer as the auto trans burned up with only 4000 miles on it!

i own a 2007 Mazda MX-5 with 82K on the clock now and have had only two issues with it, a bad gas cap and a thermostat.... very reliable.
It was covered under warranty. I'm still glad I got rid of it. I realize this isn't hard statistical data but on this Mazda forum there seems to be a lot of issues with CX5's and CX3's. There were a few with 2016's already reporting transmission failures.

I work in Memphis. I work in an exceptionally bad part of Memphis. We've had 60 murders this year which puts us at double the murder rate per 100,000 of Chicago. I commute through some pretty terrible places to break down at pretty terrible hours - today I worked 6am-2pm and I go back for a 10pm-6am tonight. At 6am I am one miserable SOB and the last thing I want to worry about is breaking down.
arctic9048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
DC8-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lake County, Fl
Posts: 1,300
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic9048 View Post
It was covered under warranty. I'm still glad I got rid of it. I realize this isn't hard statistical data but on this Mazda forum there seems to be a lot of issues with CX5's and CX3's. There were a few with 2016's already reporting transmission failures.

I work in Memphis. I work in an exceptionally bad part of Memphis. We've had 60 murders this year which puts us at double the murder rate per 100,000 of Chicago. I commute through some pretty terrible places to break down at pretty terrible hours - today I worked 6am-2pm and I go back for a 10pm-6am tonight. At 6am I am one miserable SOB and the last thing I want to worry about is breaking down.
i understand....

funny thing is though, you can go to any car forum and search a particular issue and you will find it. i considered a Subaru BRZ or its twin Scion FRS and boy...talk about issues! then spent some time over on the C7 Corvette forum.... ehh... my little Mazda isn't so bad after all

Last edited by DC8-dude; 04-04-2016 at 10:23 PM.
DC8-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
Frogger
 
arctic9048's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ATL
Age: 37
Posts: 2,609
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC8-dude View Post
i understand....

funny thing is though, you can go to any car forum and search a particular issue and you will find it. i considered a Subaru BRZ or its twin Scion FRS and boy...talk about issues! then spent some time over on the C7 Corvette forum.... ehh... my little Mazda isn't so bad after all
Yeah, I know. I get that many people only post when they have a problem. It's human nature to be more likely to complain than give a compliment.
arctic9048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 05:59 AM   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,594
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Type of engine under the hood is of more importance I think. Both are sound cars and very good value for money. Well in Europe anyway. And just like Japanese cars they are very reliable.
17275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)
Retired the Hobby
 
Surinam Air 747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,707
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Tupolev View Post
I would still recommend the Subaru Forester over ether of these SUV's.
I will have to look into that SUV as well but I think I already made up my mind as to which one to get!
__________________
I WANT TO BELIEVE...

...that one day I will see many more colorful JC Wings MD-11 models and the long-awaited Gemini 200 TWA twin stripes 727-200!

I always fly America's favorite airline: Southwest Airlines and the World's oldest KLM!

Paris was the greatest city on earth! Vive la France! Tokyo 2020!
Surinam Air 747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 07:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Gone to modelhanger
Posts: 766
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surinam Air 747 View Post
I will have to look into that SUV as well but I think I already made up my mind as to which one to get!
I'd be going for a 2WD SUV vehicle or a 4x4 which can be switched to 2WD for the road. I had a Nissan X-Trail which was switchable. My new Impreza has AWD, and I'm sure the Forester and Liberty has AWD too. You'll wear out your tires all at once. Get 1/2 down in tread and have to replace 1 tire with a new one and you'll have to replace the other 3 as unequal tread thickness will throw the sensors out on a new Subaru. That's what the dealer servicing dept told me and they don't sell tires so there's no money making angle from what they told me. Similar stuff can be found online.
Diogenes the Cynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
Retired the Hobby
 
Surinam Air 747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,707
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogenes the Cynic View Post
I'd be going for a 2WD SUV vehicle or a 4x4 which can be switched to 2WD for the road. I had a Nissan X-Trail which was switchable. My new Impreza has AWD, and I'm sure the Forester and Liberty has AWD too. You'll wear out your tires all at once. Get 1/2 down in tread and have to replace 1 tire with a new one and you'll have to replace the other 3 as unequal tread thickness will throw the sensors out on a new Subaru. That's what the dealer servicing dept told me and they don't sell tires so there's no money making angle from what they told me. Similar stuff can be found online.
I hear you man, I never liked AWD either & 4x4 you'll only ever need if you live in places where you have jungle or dessert climate... I don't see any of that here in sunny Miami..
__________________
I WANT TO BELIEVE...

...that one day I will see many more colorful JC Wings MD-11 models and the long-awaited Gemini 200 TWA twin stripes 727-200!

I always fly America's favorite airline: Southwest Airlines and the World's oldest KLM!

Paris was the greatest city on earth! Vive la France! Tokyo 2020!
Surinam Air 747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
SVN4TSVN
 
Rockybudgeboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NEWMARKET
Posts: 4,605
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Since Hyundai owns Kia, it is just a matter of personal preference.

I really like the styling of the Kia more so than the Hyundai but that is up to you

All the best on which vehicle you end up getting.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rockybudgeboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
aka "Mac•Nut•One"
 
MarinerOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: SAN
Age: 52
Posts: 3,939
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

I know there are a lot of varying opinions on brands/cars, but just as a casual suggestion, would you be interested in the Mazda CX-5?

My wife has a 2014 (soul red) Grand Touring and it is a fantastic machine - spacious, reliable and stylish to boot ... great fuel economy and more than enough power to carry a full load.

2016 Mazda CX-5 Crossover SUV - Fuel Efficient SUV | Mazda USA
MarinerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
SVN4TSVN
 
Rockybudgeboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NEWMARKET
Posts: 4,605
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Several people I know have had issues with the CX-5 transaxles.
Also, Mazdas tend to rust prematurely
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rockybudgeboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 02:36 AM   #17 (permalink)
aka "Mac•Nut•One"
 
MarinerOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: SAN
Age: 52
Posts: 3,939
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockybudgeboa View Post
Several people I know have had issues with the CX-5 transaxles.
Also, Mazdas tend to rust prematurely
Not the rusting issue - that's a thing of the past ... we've owned several Mazdas already ... CX-7, CX-9 and now CX-5 ... no rusting whatsoever ... regarding transaxles I can't speak for others but we haven't had any mechanical issues either - on any of them to be honest.
MarinerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:32 AM   #18 (permalink)
Retired the Hobby
 
Surinam Air 747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,707
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinerOne View Post
I know there are a lot of varying opinions on brands/cars, but just as a casual suggestion, would you be interested in the Mazda CX-5?
I might also consider this Mazda CX-5 your talking about, it's just I know even less about this brand and that's why I thought about getting the Kia Sorento, it's very popular where I'm from and a few people I know have one & they love it but I will look into both brands of SUV...
__________________
I WANT TO BELIEVE...

...that one day I will see many more colorful JC Wings MD-11 models and the long-awaited Gemini 200 TWA twin stripes 727-200!

I always fly America's favorite airline: Southwest Airlines and the World's oldest KLM!

Paris was the greatest city on earth! Vive la France! Tokyo 2020!

Last edited by Surinam Air 747; 04-08-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Surinam Air 747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
SVN4TSVN
 
Rockybudgeboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NEWMARKET
Posts: 4,605
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarinerOne View Post
Not the rusting issue - that's a thing of the past ... we've owned several Mazdas already ... CX-7, CX-9 and now CX-5 ... no rusting whatsoever ... regarding transaxles I can't speak for others but we haven't had any mechanical issues either - on any of them to be honest.
Actually, was surprised to see a 2013 Mazda 3 near me with a rusting issue

Maybe it is just the 3 and the 5 that have this problem
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rockybudgeboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockybudgeboa View Post
Actually, was surprised to see a 2013 Mazda 3 near me with a rusting issue

Maybe it is just the 3 and the 5 that have this problem
Wait for the new Miata to rust out too.

I would stick clear of Mazda and Fiat Chrysler.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 06:49 PM   #21 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
DC8-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lake County, Fl
Posts: 1,300
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
Wait for the new Miata to rust out too.

I would stick clear of Mazda and Fiat Chrysler.
Rocky lives in the rust belt, i have seen vehicles of ALL makes rust due to road salts. my Mazda doesn't have a speck of rust on it, nor did the '93 MX-6 Mazda my wife had years ago for a long time. i am not loyal to any one brand, but to single out Mazda as rust prone cars is total bs!

Last edited by DC8-dude; 04-09-2016 at 07:18 PM. Reason: model year correction
DC8-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 07:51 PM   #22 (permalink)
SVN4TSVN
 
Rockybudgeboa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NEWMARKET
Posts: 4,605
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

I loved my Mazda, and do miss it terribly but both of our Corollas (1998 and 2000) have no rust on them in the same area the Mazda got rust after two years of us having it.

Did that make sense? Forgive me if it doesnt.

Fords too have this problem and so do some recent Hondas as well.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rockybudgeboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:37 PM   #23 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
DC8-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lake County, Fl
Posts: 1,300
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

anyways.... to the OP.... being born in Miami back in 1960 and finally departing in 2001, rust would be my last concern.... may need a tank the way those maniacs drive down there!
DC8-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 11:50 PM   #24 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC8-dude View Post
Rocky lives in the rust belt, i have seen vehicles of ALL makes rust due to road salts. my Mazda doesn't have a speck of rust on it, nor did the '93 MX-6 Mazda my wife had years ago for a long time. i am not loyal to any one brand, but to single out Mazda as rust prone cars is total bs!
We'll see...
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 02:43 PM   #25 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
DC8-dude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lake County, Fl
Posts: 1,300
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardvark View Post
We'll see...

well after 9 years can't find any yet...

here rusty, rusty.... where are you?
Attached Thumbnails
Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016-mx5-001.jpg   Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016-mx5-006.jpg  
DC8-dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 12:38 AM   #26 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Western Australia
Posts: 1,096
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC8-dude View Post
well after 9 years can't find any yet...

here rusty, rusty.... where are you?
I'd go as far as saying that your typical Mazda owner isn't a car enthusiast, so it's good to see that you clean and garage your car. Just doing that is a step towards preventing your car from rusting away.

That being said, Mazda's paint is notoriously thin. People who don't, or can't, care for their Mazda's like you unfortunately end up with a car that rusts away just in a few years.

Make sure that you wash away mud and dirt from under the wheel wells.
Aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 08:23 AM   #27 (permalink)
Retired the Hobby
 
Surinam Air 747's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Miami, Florida
Posts: 3,707
Default Re: Kia Sorento vs Hyundai Santa Fe 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC8-dude View Post
anyways.... to the OP.... being born in Miami back in 1960 and finally departing in 2001, rust would be my last concern.... may need a tank the way those maniacs drive down there!
That's a good one but your right here in South Florida people drive you insane literally on the road & elsewhere, so I might think about getting one of them Abrams Battle Tank next!!
__________________
I WANT TO BELIEVE...

...that one day I will see many more colorful JC Wings MD-11 models and the long-awaited Gemini 200 TWA twin stripes 727-200!

I always fly America's favorite airline: Southwest Airlines and the World's oldest KLM!

Paris was the greatest city on earth! Vive la France! Tokyo 2020!
Surinam Air 747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:29 PM.

Latest Threads
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.