DA.C - View Single Post - Braniff Ultra livery
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 08:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
MDWTWA
Compulsive Collector

Default Re: Braniff Ultra livery

AMEN!

Glad to see another fan of the Ultra scheme!!!

I can't understand how we've had every Jellybean, every Flying Colors, Braniff II, and even the El Dorado versions, but not one single Ultra in 1/400.

It's especially interesting because:
1) This is the last scheme Braniff wore. I would think that most of the people in the collectorate who have any personal recollection of Braniff (gotta be at least 30-something) saw the Ultras. The pattern with defunct carriers is to do the last scheme - it's the one seen most recently.

Now, it could be said that only the glory-days schemes are done, but when there are multiple schemes, eventually, they all get done. Except, so far, the case of Ozark, which does not have a deliver-scheme version available yet; and Republic, for which we don't have their last scheme.

2) Consistency. If I am not mistaken, there are very few gaps like this in which an entire scheme is missing from the portfolio.

3) The manufacturers like selling multiples. Look at all Jellybeans. Look a the BA World Tails. The only thing better for a model manufacturer than a merger is a carrier with lots of schemes.

4) They're just plan elegant!

So why no love for the Ultras?

Btw, where's the black one and the lighter green? (ok, admittedly, the lighter green that I saw in 1982 may have simply been faded.)

Hey guys, how about some Braniff Ultras??!!

Now let's finish the TWA set...TWA Final scheme 757, and all three MD-80 schemes!!!
MDWTWA is offline   Reply With Quote