DA.C - View Single Post - Yyz 2.12.11
Thread: Yyz 2.12.11
View Single Post
Old 02-12-2011, 10:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
WestjetterO
Cornish Game Hen

Send a message via MSN to WestjetterO
Default Re: Yyz 2.12.11

Just before 4:00Pm, it's KLM time. Naturally, when KLM appears on the Horizon, I prepare myself for extreme disappointement, but I still try. I set myself up by the fence, so far things were going good, there was nothing the Spotting Gods or PH-BFM could do to screw me at that point. The 747 flares in front of me and I snap a picture. This is my best shot of KLM to date. I love it, again with the backdrop and the angle. The score is now: Orion: 1 KLM: 7

I returned to the car to view my KLM picture. Then stepped out and turned on the cam to snap a few more. It was on for all of 3 seconds when it died. I tried turning it on again and it would last 2-3 seconds and then die suddenly. I was pretty sure I charged the batteries for what seemed like a good 40 minutes. I decided to go to the gas station down the street to buy 4 AAs, and it worked fine after that. When I returned to the same 33L spot. Arrivals had switched to 24L with some on 24R and a few on 33R. I decided to try a new spot I had been thinking of for a while, which was spotting 24 arrivals from the end or 24R or beggining of 06L. When the planes exited the runway I snapped photos of them taxiing to the terminal. I could also see 24R departures over my head. I rushed to the fence to see that Lufthansa 470 had landed on 24L, exited, and was holding short of 24R while another aircraft departed on 24R. I took a few pictures through the fence as it started to roll.

The one RR engine on the left side is from a Hainan A346, the original shows the LH A343 and HU A346, I will re-crop and post it here as wel.

Kicking up snow as it heads for T1

These are my best LH pics to date. I was pleased to take these.

I knew AF was arriving next, most likely on 24L, so I waited a bit, still taking pictures through the fence which was not too pleasant. Then something interesting happened. My spotting instincts kicked in and I took notice of the 8 to 10 foot high snow bank right next to me and positioned perfectly behind the fence. I climbed up and stood at the top, I could now see over the top of the fence with ease ! I love this spot and It's onw of the few things mother nature has done for me when spotting that has been positive. Here is a shot of me atop the snowbank (my shadow) and my new field of view!

5 Minutes later, this other spotter comes by and decides to try my spot as well, he was taller and I think he loved it! The sun sat behind us and I took a shot of the UA/CO Q400 with new UNITED EXPRESS titles.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Recent Flights:
-DL1042 RIC-ATL 7.29.13. (MD88)
-DL2442 ATL-YYZ 7.29.13. (A319)

-WS674 YYC-YYZ 8.24.13. (B736)
WestjetterO is offline   Reply With Quote