DA.C - View Single Post - AIR FRANCE Caudron Goéland
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2021, 01:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
AIR FRANCE 340
Complete Wacko!

Default AIR FRANCE Caudron Goéland

I am back, I apologize if this model is a bit unusual and not really interesting for those who prefer Airbus or Boeing.
Simply, I am trying to complete my AF fleet, something more appealing and less French is on the back burner and will be ready vey soon ...

Successful aircraft built before, during and after WWII are rare.
This aircraft, the Caudron Goéland is one of them.

It was designed by Marcel RIFFARD, a well known French engineer who was involved in the design of racing planes for Caudron in the 1930s.
One of his aircraft was the only non US aircraft to win two national air races in the US, the Greve Trophy and the Thompson trophy in 1936, outperforming the other aircraft with more powerful engines, the secret was an exemplary aerodynamic design.

With its low drag, the Caudron Goéland powered by two Renault engines of only 220 hp was able of great performances.

The prototype flew in 1935, after the 1940 armistice France was invaded and controlled by Germany, this aircraft and some others were built exclusively for the Luftwaffe.

We don't know exactly how many Goélands were produced during the war but it is fair to say that between the first flight in 1935 and the end of production in the very late 1940s, about 1500 aircraft were built.
Some sources say that 1702 aircraft were made.
The truth should be between these two figures.

The original aircraft was subject to many modifications and improvements, dihedral of the outer wing panels to improve stability roll control, engines running in opposite directions to make the take off run more comfortable, more powerful engines and a few other refinements.

The information about the Simoun (or Simouns) delivered to AF before the war are very sketchy, misleading and would need to be confirmed.

My model is a Caudron C 445, one of the three aircraft F-OAYP, F-OAYQ and F-OAYR ordered by AF before WWII, they did not stay for long in the airline and I am not sure that the last two aircraft were delivered.
The only picture available of these aircraft is showing the F-AOYP.
This aircraft was sent to Damas in Syria where there was a strong French presence and was tested on the local network.
Back in France, it was not put into service, officially the Goéland was too small and AF did not really wanted this aircraft.

Meanwhile, the Spanish Civil War was raging.
The European countries agreed not to interfere in the conflict but the Nationalists received from Germany Messerschmidt 109s with their pilots, Russia sent Polikarpov I-16s to the Republicans and after obscure tractations, France sent this Caudron and some other aircraft to the Republicans.

After 1945 the Goélands were still produced they were intensively used by AF for the training of its pilots, the aircraft had no specific livery.

My model represents the F-AOYP delivered before WWII wearing a livery very similar to some of the AF aircraft at the end of the 1930s.
It might be the only one Goéland with this livery.

As usual with this kind of model, it was a one piece plastic casting, no landing gear, no propellers, no decals, a few details were added, Pitot tube, landing light (a pin head), mast on the top off the fuselage, at this scale we can't go too far, less is more.
Very happy with this model, it has joined my AF fleet, my tenth pre-war AF aircraft, all home made, I attach a picture showing all of them.

The model is much smaller than it looks on the pictures, close up pictures reveal defects that we don't see with a naked eye ...

Among my projects I have something with three engines and the TWA livery.
No, it is not a B 727 ...

Jean Pierre.
Attached Thumbnails
-go-land-1.jpg   -caudron-1.jpg   -go-land-.jpg   -go-land-b.jpg   -go-land-c.jpg  

-go-land-d.jpg   -all.jpg  

Last edited by AIR FRANCE 340; 10-12-2021 at 03:04 PM. Reason: typo
AIR FRANCE 340 is online now   Reply With Quote