DA.C - View Single Post - My first polished Qantas L-1049G
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2021, 04:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Aussiejets
Collecting everthing VH

Default Re: My first polished Qantas L-1049G

Quote:
Originally Posted by deephalo View Post
Nice to see you also have this model in your collection. I really wanted it because of the history that is behind it. I hope you do not mind I share it here :

The VH-EAP, built as L-1049G-82-153, first flew on 8 november 1957. The 19th of november it was then accepted by Qantas and named "Southern Zepyr". It entered commercial service on 30 december with a flight to Hong Kong. On 14 january 1958, the Southern Zephyr departed in Melbourne on Qantas' inaugural round-world service via the "Kangaroo Route".

On 14 january 1958, the Southern Zephyr departed in Melbourne on Qantas' inaugural round-world service via the "Kangaroo Route". At the same time, the VH-EAO departed from the opposite direction via the "Southern Cross" route. On 20 january it returned to Sidney after a flight of 128 hours. At the time, the logistics and distances involved meant the around the world flights were at the cutting edge of what could be done. The route going west followed the well-trodden Kangaroo route (hops between stops) while the route east across the Pacific was tagged the Southern Cross route. Moving in an easterly direction from Melbourne, the stops were Nadi, Honolulu, San Francisco, New York, London, Rome, Athens, Bahrain, Karachi, New Delhi, Bangkok, Singapore, Jakarta, Perth and then back to Melbourne. The westbound Kangaroo route reversed the order of stops. Midway through the flights, the two aircraft would pass each other.

This history, as well as the model, is part of a book I'm currently making covering my scale models of which the real planes have been responsible for major milestones in the history of commercial aviation.

The pages are still subject to change and have not yet been verified completely, but here is a first sneak peek :

I don't mind at all. I love it. Hopefully Herpa will do VH-EAO some day too, I as many would like the pair of them. I can send colour chips from HARS to Herpa if required.
Aussiejets is offline   Reply With Quote