DA.C - View Single Post - A300-B2 Air France (Hogan)
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #17 (permalink)
Madridista
40 Years of Collecting

Default Re: A300-B2 Air France (Hogan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennypayne View Post
Not the first widebody, but the first widebody twin (I think the history has a typo where it says 'twin-aisle' - that should be 'twin-engine').
It also says “The first jet made in Europe”, and I am still wondering what they could’ve meant to say...!?

It also says the Airbus consortium was formed in order to have more competitive aircraft built against the competition from Boeing, Douglas and Lockheed. That’s half the truth only, since the aviation industry was completely different back then. National carriers bought national products, even among European countries. The French bought french aircraft, the Brits bought British aircraft, and even the Spaniards and Germans tried to have their own aircraft for national purposes built. In fact, Europe had a variety of strong aeronautical manufacturers with high technical standards and engineering. The Airbus project followed the Concorde joint-venture of British and French aviation industry (and it was politically desired at that time) since otherwise it would have been a ‘mission impossible’ - as it had been in the end for all the other manufacturers, including Boeing and Lockheed.
NG Models: Binter Mediterráneo CASA CN-235, Spantax DHC-6 Twin Otter 200
HerpaWings: Spantax Dash 7
Madridista is offline   Reply With Quote