DA.C - View Single Post - Gemini Jets not using JC wings 787 and 777 moulds
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2021, 01:05 AM   #2 (permalink)
RStretton
1/600 & 1/400 Fan

Default Re: Gemini Jets not using JC wings 787 and 777 mou

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevec45 View Post
How come Gemini Jets refuses to switch to JC wings superior 777 and 787 moulds? It would make sense if there was possibly some sort of legal reason but this could be ruled out since JC wings and Gemini share many current moulds such as the 757, A320, 737, 767, etc. So if anyone has an actual answer I’d be very curious to know.
This is a complicated issue but clearly JC Wings is not the same as Gemini Jets even though they make Gemini's models for them. It appears that Gemini licenses to use some of the JC moulds (A320, 737s etc) and JC Wings has permission to use some of the old Gemini moulds (757, 767) - quite a few of which have been improved by JC. It is important I think to realise that the 757 and 767 moulds both pre-date Gemini's relationship with JC and the A320 and 737s do not.

Now Gemini has used both the new 777 and 787 moulds but only when they need a flaps down release. So I would guess that they don't feel the need to use them all the time when they have their own old moulds to use due to the extra cost involved.

Now I haven't seen any collectors that agree that this is a good way of working as the old seamed moulds are quite inferior to everyone else's, even Phoenix. But Gemini I would wager don't think the cost in collector lost models is enough to offset the cost of using the new moulds. You have to remember that most collector's simply don't pay close attention and Gemini aims a good chunk of its effort at the corporate market anyway.

Finally until recently Gemini had little competition as nobody was producing many overlapping models (certainly not Phoenix or JC). That has changed with the appearance of NG Models, Aviation400 and even Panda but Gemini has preferred 'other' strategies to try and limit the encroachment into their markets rather than competing with new moulds.

That's not to say Gemini don't work with JC to make new moulds as they clearly do (P-8, 747 interactive etc) but that they choose when to do so carefully.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RStretton is offline   Reply With Quote