DA.C - View Single Post - 77W Mould
Thread: 77W Mould
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2020, 07:53 AM   #13 (permalink)
Three50
Senior Collector

Default Re: 77W Mould

Thank you for your message. I found your summary very clear and it really helped me a lot. Not my intention to start fights lol. I just wanted to know if there were any changes to those models. I have my answer so a big THANK YOU.
I found a small shop here in HK which seems to have a model or two. I'll go and have a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Alpha View Post
I hate to start this topic over again. Those who have been here for awhile remember the division this topic caused last time. I'll try to be neutral and highlight some of the pros and cons of each model.

Inflight/Bluebox: Good nose and engine shape. Center of the nose is where is should be in relation to the pax doors and nose center. Engines are just slightly slightly small and the pylon profile could be a little better. Landing gear have already been mentioned. They could be a little bit more detailed. Paint finish is usually excellent, but some small details such as engine markings are not as good as JCW/Gemini 777s. Has an actual hole for the APU instead of just a painted representation.

JCW/Gemini: Nose shape and center of nose is not as good as the Inflight mold. The center of the nose is too high. Cockpit windows are a little too small. Engine shape is a little off with the intake a little too slanted compared to the real aircraft. pylon profile is better than Inflight, but is too thin when observed from above. The engines are slightly oversized (about the same small amount that the Inflight engines are slightly small). Paint has good and accurate small details, but sometimes has small smudges and dust in the paint. The JCW/GJ mold is usually produced in larger numbers and is usually less expensive for that reason, but popular models will be just as expensive as Inflight. Very good landing gear detail. The best of the bunch. They are also generally lighter in weight, which can mean lower shipping costs.

Phoenix/Eagle: Good nose shape, but lacks small details. Has a rounded tail cone with not very much detail. Some have commented that it has the best nose shape of the diecast models. Engine shape is off and the overall size is too small. Generally not as detailed as Inflight or JCW/GJ models. Phoenix produces some nice 1/400 scale models and their Airbus mold is decent, but the landing gear are relatively plain with little detail and almost always painted silver.

Hogan and Skymarks/Risesoon:
Plastic models that are inexpensive and lack details such as antenna and engine strakes. They do not compre in detail to the diecast models.

My take. If you like the massive size of the GE-90-115 engines, good small painted details, good landing gear, but don't mind the nose shape and smaller cockpit windows, JCW/GJ models may suit your taste better. If you like better sized cockpit windows and a little more accurate nose shape, excellent paint finish with slightly less details and the shape of the pylons are not you primary concern, you will be happy with Inflight. Both make an Air France model.In fact, all have also so have produced an Air France 777-300ER.

I'm sure this post will get a lot of blowback, particularly from Gemini fans, but as always, look at all of the alternatives and buy what you like and like what you buy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Three50 is offline   Reply With Quote