DA.C - View Single Post - Herpa Premium Yellowing..Another Theory
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #16 (permalink)
Widebody
Master Collector

Default Re: Herpa Premium Yellowing..Another Theroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfi1963 View Post
Hi,

white yellowed plastic can only be whiten by using hydrogen peroxide to avoid a complete new painting but you should "heal" the model when it is starting to get yellowed as yellowing of 10 years under spotlights or sunlight you will not get back to the original white by 100% - only 70-80%.
But as this is a very sensitive chemical compound you have to use it with care (gloves, protection glasses, etc.) and the concentration you can purchase is very restricted.

The bigger problem is if a model is yellowing only at one side - because of position of a model in a display or the spot above or a window aside - as then the discrepancy is seen more clearly.

Regards, Wolfgang
This is completely correct. I just recently did the Emirates A300. There is still some residual yellowing and did not completely whiten but it did come back maybe 90%. I know there is some debate what causes the yellowing. In my instance, the most yellowing seems to coincide with the lower foam liner and where it held the model along the fuselage.

Anyway, there are lots of videos on the subject of ‘retrobrite-ing’. Where I live you can’t buy hydrogen peroxide in concentrations above 40%. I bought the cream one that made it easy to apply. You need to leave it in the high noon sun and the high temperature helps the speed.

Be warned that with any metal parts, or metal detailing (some models had a metal foil applied) the peroxide will react with them, but amazingly the tampo printing is unaffected.
Widebody is offline   Reply With Quote