DA.C - View Single Post - Good B-17 Model?
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 12:19 AM   #28 (permalink)
Hornchurch
aircraft enthusiast

Default Re: Good B-17 Model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Fire Team View Post
'

Hi again Chris', so I can interact with ya, point for point, I'll intersperse mine, in BLUE

I completely agree with you Geezer. Perhaps I should elaborated more,......I am referring to its capacity to sell, compared to whats gone before it and whats to come.

Hands down, gotta agree with you - capacity, sales wise, I guess 'Flak-Eater' may not sell as well.

Of course, the other 'alternative', is that AF.1 thing, which is not really a match.

As the only 'current' release B.17, I still think 'Flak-Eater' will be a quiet slow-seller.

But sell, it will, eventually - just that folks won't be tripping over themselves, to buy it.

W.1048 took part in the Tirpitz attack and was famously recovered.

Its also,...still the only "sprout" turreted and nose turreted that has been released by Corgi.

W.1048 is still, since 1973/74, "THE" only Merlin/Sprout/Early Halibag' that any mere human (save, Norwegian divers ), can cast or set their eyes upon.

That, plus it's one of THE main centrepieces in the RAFM & important City of London, will always ensure sales.

Compare the uniqueness and story of W.1048 and Flak Eater.

You got me there mate ; No comparison, no equation ; W.1048 wins hands down

My comments were not directed at the aircrafts service or brave crew that flew them. Just on whether it will sell or not. Historic,...in Diecast terms does have quite a fair bit of weight.

Fair call, my apologies - I was trying to couterbalance MMR.Marsh's arguments.

In other words mate, I "don't" see Flak-Eater as just "Meh"

Sales-wise, it's pretty evident that another W.1048 type, would fly off the shelf/shelves, BUT, given that Corgi's 1/72 Boeing B.17, is STILL pretty-much, the ONLY serious DIECAST B.17 contender in town.... it prob' won't be available, in 12-18-months time, from now.

But,...as I noted in this thread earlier (which you also noted) it does have some decent artwork and it represents a BG that has not been represented by Corgi Diecast yet.

That in itself, is it's strong selling point.

Not everyone wants 'gaudy & flash'

Not everyone is dissatisfied if it's NOT a centinarian, OR, flown by some well-known bozo

Some hardcore B.17 and 8th Air-Force enthusiasts, LIKE have other Bomb Groups represented.

Not eveyone on this planet WANTS a 34th or 68th copy, of YET another 91st B.G.

Fact remains that there WERE more N.M.F. Boeing B.17's by war's end.

N.M.F needs representation, too.

What I hadn't told you was - That 'Flak-Eater' had already been researched FOR AIRFIX.

AIRFIX & HORNBY thesedays being under THE same stable, it's inevitable they'll share research.

Guaranteed that they'll use (share) a same warbird a/c scheme, given same parent company.

We will see. Not sure the teeth lends itself to a B17G,...but who knows?

Am I right in recalling - Didn't the 99th B.G (15th A.F), B.17, "2nd Patches" have a sharkmouth ????

Plain artwork, VERY simple (non-dramatic scheme) = Sold well, IIRC.

From recollection, still sells well & "is in demand" on the secondhand market.

From everything I've ever read on Corgi's B.17, isn't it considered one of the best ?

I guess from my perspective,.....I am very keen on a NMF 8th Air Force B17G.

But this one has not really got me too excited.

We'll see if I am the odd man out.

I don't think you are mate - I guess others like MMRMarsh ARE indifferent towards it.

The mere fact that it's 8th Air-Force will guarantee it sells, eventually.

Let's face it - It'll never set the world alight, sales wise.

It'll NEVER be "THE" Corgi Boeing B.17 in the highest demand.

I see it as the diecast equiv' of the 'Barton Halifax'....

It's there, it's available, yet eventually, it'll sell-out.

With the prices for other '17's high (2nd-hand), it might be THE only game in town.

If YOU were new to the game, which 1/72 diecast B.17 would YOU want ?

A gaudy 447th 'Bit O'l Lace' from AF.1 - (with all it's inaccurcies)

Or a far better executed (but seemeingly bland), NMF 'sleeper', like Flak Eater ?

Great to see you in this place again "Geezer".

Many, many thanks upon the return-welcome, man.

I've not frequented here for some time, vemtured-back, thought I'd drop-in.

I see the military-section is mostly for "sharp-pointy-things-fans".

It's just nice to bask-back once in a while, for me, to more familiar WW.II subjects.**

** the very things that got me into & interested in aircraft, in the first place...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hornchurch is offline   Reply With Quote