DA.C - View Single Post - Diecast Psychology 101
View Single Post
Old 05-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
SPANKYPOOCH
Junior Collector

Wow. This is really great to see there are collectors out there that wonder...

Im realtively young into collecting as a hobby. Id say that the seed was planted and nourished as a child through my father who would take me to airshows at Pope AFB now AAF and frequent visits to the local hobby stores for models of the latest plane we saw. I remember a few times that he would shell out "the big bucks" as he called it for the pre made plastic model all ready assembled and really not for play but for display. As a kid I was all about playing with them, and in the end those models ended up having broken props or missing wheels, bombs, etc. My father was also big on keeping the collectibles boxed for "my kids someday"

Then he bought me two diecast model airplane banks from Etrl. A P51 and a Stearman. I couldnt tell you how much I played with those and loved them. Then came a few others. I certainly grew out of it until my first visit to a Hobby Town in 2013. They has a Corgi Sea Kings and a various assortment of the Postage Stamp models and man was I excited. I felt so behind that there were all these varieties of aircraft models really well made out there and I had no idea.

Anywho then in 2016, I found Hobby Master. Long story long that let to finding out about CW, more Corgi models and am unexpected visit to the airplane store in Miami I knew I was in trouble.

To the psychology. One this that I dont think gets addressed at all is the psyche behind keeping models boxed and not opening them. My habit got so bad because I was finding all these great WW2 planes, helicopters, and long sold out models that I was paying premiums for because I had missed out the first go. There was one model that I was so happy about and wanted to preserve that New feeling of getting it in the mail that I kept it boxed and in my closet and would pull it out every so often to sneak a peek. Weird I know, but I feel like all collectors have those select models that give them that comfort of knowing you have one and it being a part of you, the history beauty and all.

The stacking continued and essentially everytime an interesting aviation subject both military and civil peaked my interest, finding the most well loved and accurate model became and obession to have as I learned about it. Then the craziest thing would happen; my interest faded and was replaced. Even before I had opened the model. When I did open one or two I found myself dissapointed that a wheel was bent, the ordnance did not fit correctly, there were gaps yadda yadda. Essentially my perfectionist attitue significantly affected my love for a hobby that I had just re discovered. Models I had fevereshly searched for went unopened and hidden in the corners of the house, maybe awaiting a day when that 75 purchase would get me $Ks. The fear of missing out on the better more accurate model was strong, and in some ways still is. Thay may still happen, but I decided for another approach.

As of 6 years later, I have gone through 100s and 100s of various models buying and selling. Today I only keep no more than 5. This sounds loony and may only work for me but I had to let go. Some people love having their homes stocked with wall to wall planes and thats OK, and then there is me. I hate the thought that I would have something being ignored and that I would have to get back to it another time. The eternal lure of the next model plauged me, but as you have said it is the driver thag makes this hobby fun. Ipso facto I think my true psyche behind my collecting is the chase and once Ive found what Im looking for, I move onto another interesting subject. Making peace with this has helped me understand why I buy and sell and helps me in my true love which is learning about the engineering behind these planes while I examine them like a science subject under a less critical microscope.

Just remember that although they may mean a whole lot to us, they are at the end of the day metal, plastic, and paint. Dont let the fear of resale value plummeting or the prestige of owning a rare model preclude you from opening the box, peeling back the plastic and getting that new smell and remembering that those people that designed and test flew and produced the actual thing did it with the love to see them flying through the sky.

I have purchased way too many a model from an estate sale or someone who had too many. You dont want to be the one that didnt do what felt right becuase your mind was holding you back.

Again, I am a younger collector and dont have very much money tied into this right now like some collectors do, so its easier for me to say let it go and enjoy yourself. For the fellow collectors that do that, I mean no disrespect. If I were placed in front of many ofnyour collections, I would be foaming at the mouth. If you are thinking about the future/your kids thats cool too, but also remember that modern collecting is different than it was just 10 years ago. These were my thoughts and thanks for reading.

Enjoy the hobby and happy hunting!
SPANKYPOOCH is offline   Reply With Quote