DA.C - View Single Post - 1/72 B-58 Hustler - Diecast Hopes
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #10 (permalink)
Upkeep
Design with Elegance.

Talking Re: 1/72 B-58 Hustler - Diecast Hopes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAMC1943 View Post
I've always liked the Hustler ever since I bought a Plastic model of one way back in the sixties to sit alongside my then newly released Airfix Lancaster. I think it was slightly smaller than 1/72, I don't remember the manufacturer now.
The problems with a diecast Hustler I feel are twofold. One, it never went to war, so no battle scarred heroics to talk of. Secondly and even more important, they all looked the same, "Silver Plate Bombers" eliminating different colour schemes for future model runs. So one model only, would not make much monetary sense.
Sadly some of these fifties bombers, including the B47 and B36 have slipped through the historical net and are almost forgotten.....
I think we're contemporaries, as I also built the Airfix Lancaster (G-George) in the mid-60's (my buddy built the Revell Dambuster one with the 'Secret Bomb'). I also built the B-58. Now mine was definitely smaller than 1:72, as it was the Monogram one at 1:121. Revell also offered one at 1:94, Aurora at 1:76, while I believe Lindberg did one in 1:64 (without the scale posted on the box).

I eventually bought and built this one too. It was huge. I think a diecast in 1:72 would be quite the challenge (especially the landing gear) but a worthy undertaking. There are several colour schemes to choose from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Élégance en vol . . . Airfrance-style!

Last edited by Upkeep; 02-20-2018 at 03:31 PM. Reason: sp/clarity
Upkeep is offline   Reply With Quote