DA.C - View Single Post - Potential Zinc Rot (Powdery Rot) watch on TAP A319 by Phoenix
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2017, 04:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
make.me.laugh
Insane Collector

Send a message via MSN to make.me.laugh Send a message via Yahoo to make.me.laugh
Default Re: Potential Zinc Rot (Powdery Rot) watch on TAP A319 by Phoenix

It is also possible the the model once removed from the mould is either not being properly cleaned of white oil which can lead to problems of paint adhesion as well as an entry point for oxidisation corrosion to begin to occur. This would also account for the randomness that seems to be happening here.

Otherwise it could be the Chemical composite of the Release agent oil on this batch (a.k.a. white oil) which has caused the problem described above..?

It may also have been caused by the holding pot which is kept separate from the die casting machine and which the molten metal is ladled from the pot for each casting. If not at the required temp. this also could allow contamination of the pour. Hence why only a few models may be so affected.

Pure aluminium does suffer from "Bubbles" in casts when either injection temperatures are too high or there is a non-uniform cooling rate. Prone to cracking or shrinking at high temperatures while casting, it is therefore often alloyed with copper.

There are many reasons why this may have happened, tho I suspect that any collector upon receiving a model would open it and inspect. I always do with any model I purchase. It certainly seems that "Powdery Rot" is indeed the culprit in this instance. It's possible that it has taken some years to get to this point and previously was unknown.

Whatever the reason, it's also clear that Phoenix Models along with other possible manufacturers have had no inclination till now of this threat to their models made from aluminium. The question of how much of a Boeing is made by Boeing comes to mind. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I doubt this will be the last word on the matter though...