DA.C - View Single Post - Potential Zinc Rot (Powdery Rot) watch on TAP A319 by Phoenix
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2017, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lightsnack87
Senior Collector

Default Re: Potential Zinc Rot (Powdery Rot) watch on TAP A319 by Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug seeley View Post
If it flies like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be zinc rot... Welcome to our world of diecast airliner collecting, and it seems you were bit by zinc rot early in the hobby. Add this one to the list... Sometimes zinc rot stabilizes and slows down, but usually the process continues and consumes your model. I've got some Magic models that obviously have symptoms, but seem to be stable and worth keeping. Zinc rot is a bummer, and everyone gets bit at some point. Keep 'em flying, Doug
Thank you for taking a look and welcoming me to the forum. I used to be on here quite a but under a different name. I've drifted back to the hobby in recent weeks. We'll see where it goes...hopefully not to the discovery of more "rotting" models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by make.me.laugh View Post
G'day,

I can tell ALL now, it's not Zinc Rot as these planes wern't made with zinc/zamac but with Aluminium. Phoenix models use a high pressure aluminium diecasting moulds for their castings. The bubbling is more likely due to improper cleaning of the wing surface, allowing contaminats to settle before painting. The bending is likely from these same contaminats causing "Powdery Rot".

It's a recently new condition. Here is a link to a similar situation already discussed on DAC about Powdery Rot affecting 1:200 models made of Aluminium. It's very interesting reading - though worrying..

http://www.diecastaircraftforum.com/...00-models.html

See post 106 for a detailed explaination of what is Powdery Rot.
Thank you for taking a look and giving your thoughts. I was a little skeptical that it was zinc rot mainly because the paint is bubbling not cracking as I've seen on models before.

Do you think that this is an isolated incident specifically to my model or is there a possibility that it is affecting more in the run?

Thanks again for the feedback fellow members!

-Eric
Lightsnack87 is offline   Reply With Quote