DA.C - View Single Post - North Central Airlines
View Single Post
Old 04-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #10 (permalink)
fazeman
Setting The Pace

Default Re: North Central Airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic DC-9 View Post
Awesome display, Fazeman! As a Wisconsin resident (I'm about an hour's drive from Green Bay, Milwaukee and Appleton), I'm a big North Central lover.

Of course, Republic is my favorite, as I have pleasant childhood memories of flying their DC-9s and seeing their Convairs in service. I love looking at old timetables and seeing how they flew their planes between airports that could be easily driven between (or biked between!).

My dad and I flew one DC-9 Minneapolis to Eau Claire, then on to La Crosse - I think the -30 series had like 10 passengers! And Green Bay was once a jet "hub" of sorts. Now it is mostly regional jets and a Delta 717 into Appleton that serve my neck of the woods, though Allegiant, Sun Country and the occasional Packers A330 charter up to Green Bay do fly low over my house, and JUST a few years back I flew a Northwest DC9-50 Green Bay-Detroit for work (N777NC - a North Central ship!)
I never took bike-like hops and I guess that's why I'm amazed they did it especially with jets. North Central had no choice but to cross every river and dot every town between major cities. High frequency scheduling and quick turnarounds helped to mitigate low load factors while the airline continued to apply for nonstop authority between their region's big cities. Hat's off to Hal Carr for the airline's success.

If I attend a Packers game this year, let's hook up. Maybe we can do some rail spotting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planecrazy View Post
It was my great pleasure to fly on North Central from 1962 through the early 1980s (Republic era) on business. The picture of a DC-3 is one I flew on from Saginaw, Michigan in the 1960s.
I read that North Central's unusually high DC-3 load factors gave them the lowest mail pay rates in the industry. So the airline had proof of what C.R. Smith once said about the DC-3: "It's the finest airplane in history that can make money just carrying passengers."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Hawk 1903 View Post
That is a great display. Well done. One of my favorite's of the classic carriers.
Thanks for the compliment and from other members as well. Even though Allegheny and Piedmont served my airport (ORF), I didn't get a real dose of regionals and nationals until I flew to Denver's Stapleton in '79. Pretty awe struck while passing through there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic DC-9 View Post
I love how they've drawn the Wisconsin state boundaries on the Ozark map - rest of states look about right, Wisconsin is way off
Didn't notice how funky they drew the borders till you mentioned it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve
fazeman is offline   Reply With Quote