DA.C - View Single Post - Best current 1/72 spitfire?
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2015, 05:13 AM   #5 (permalink)
wilkinss77
Master Collector

Default Re: Best current 1/72 spitfire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB705 View Post
Just new to the hobby and I haven't even gotten my first model in but already looking for the next one!
I really want a BF109 and Spitfire combo.
I already know which Bf109 I want, the corgi AA27102A ( Corgi AA27102A - Bf 109G Diecast Model, Luftwaffe 9./JG 52, Hermann Graf, Pitomnik: The Flying Mule ). But I can't seem to find a nice 1/72 spitfire. I really really like the Gemini GARAF1006N George "Buzz" Beurling model, but I'm guessing it's out of production and really hard (impossible) to find.
So do you guys have any suggestions for me for a good 1/72 spitfire?
Any help is much appreciated! Thanks!
it all depends on what mark spit you want. the best 1/72 spit mould is undoubtably corgi's new mk I/II- it's as near to perfect as you'll get.
the only good mk IX is gemini, but it has faults: the fin-upper fuselage join is too sharp- it should slope in a more gentle curve than it does. & the windscreen is wrong.
witty's mk IX has a fixed down u/c, omits the pitot tube & has a slipper tank, which was never used in service.
dragon's spits omit the pitot & the wing is too thick.
the nearest to a good mk V is corgi's old mould, but it lacks dihedral & suffers from a drooping prop (slack spinner-cowling fit, as in many other corgi old mould planes).
wilkinss77 is offline   Reply With Quote