My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately.... - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:400 Scale Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-24-2010, 12:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Commander Takamachi
 
northwestairlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Between that weed and downtown Boulder
Age: 29
Posts: 135
Send a message via AIM to northwestairlines
Default My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

I haven't been active on any diecast forum for a long time (left SAF a while ago), but I do pop onto DAC sometimes, mainly because somebody linked me here. Now, you will probably take my opinions as useless spam (since I was a parodist most of the time), but oh well.

In the not-too-distant past, everybody was complaining about how GJ/AC/JC/whatever is not producing what they want or the model didn't meet some superior standard (no, I am not talking about broken parts or a error so obvious a 5-yr old would know). For a while I did agree with the idea that GJ should fix their printing and quality control. But one day, driving back from college, I realized that the DAC userbase only represents a tiny percentage of people that buy these things. So here's my little opinion piece; it may be outdated somehow, but I think this is pretty accurate here.

1. Models are planned in advance.

This has been said multiple times before, but it is obvious that no one listens. Remember, just because you wish for a model and then the manufacturer says it would be produced, doesn't mean that next month and BOOM, there's your model. It takes months-sometimes even years-to deal with licensing, moulds, printing, etc. All that takes time.

2. Just because you say it will sell does not mean it will sell.

Most people have to realize that the "true" collectors represent about 5% or even less of the people that buys these things. Now, most times a plane is brought up in a wishlist and never mentioned again. But some has been brought up over and over, even tho it makes little financial sense to do so. Case in point; United Battleship 737. Sure, fleet collectors might be all over it, but out of 500 units, how many people will buy one? Unless a lot of people really want a big fleet of them, not many people will buy them. They will sit on the shelves for a long time. The reason special and obscure liveries sell is because as rare and unusual as they are, they are somehow interesting to the casual buyer/collector-think about it, is a gray 737 really gonna catch your eye faster than a plane that looks like a giant whale? Kinda like why nobody makes a diecast model of a 90's Chevy Malibu; it's just too boring.

3. Rolling gears are here to stay, no matter how much you hate it.

Sure, they are a pain in the azz, but remember what Rod said-a lot of the buyers nowdays are kids. Now, I know this hard to realize, but if you were a kid, what fun is a model plane if it can only sit there in static mode? They can't "fly", sure, but big, rolling gears are more attractive to a kid than static plastic gears. They may look bad, but they sell.

4. Printing and color issues are gonna happen, get over it.

As much as some people wish that every detail should be perfect, great printing/color or not are not gonna attract a lot of buyers, because the majority just don't care. Sure, blatant errors are gonna hurt sales, but minor issues are not gonna really hurt if the model is very popular. Lack of a small logo or some color mismatch are minor issues. And again, the casual buyer does not care.

5. No model is perfect.

This covers issues other than printing or color of a model. Aside from broken pieces or obvious errors, a model is still gonna sell if it looks good. Remember the majority of buyers don't care about a small chip in the paint or wrong nose shape. Hell, some of them don't even know if the model has some kind of error.

And because someone brought it up, these are 2 forum issues that I always seem to notice in the past. I'm sure there's more, but;

1. Flaming someone for no reason; Okay, I done it before. Now obviously, poor spelling/grammar are annoying, butt that does not mean you should call out and blame a person for a opinion. So what if a user doesn't like Airbuses or Boeings, as long as they are not ranting about it in thousands of posts or really trying to offend someone, who cares? And no, being a senior does not give you any right to do that, and if you do it a lot you are just as bad as some n00b that comes in and rants a lot (and on most forums I go to, they don't care too much about how long you been on the forum; an offense is an offense, no matter who posted it).

2. Politics. This is not Conservapedia or RationalWiki (as much as I love reading it); yes, politics is fine as long as people can be civil and posting it at the right time. But saying that Obama caused your sales to slump or something like that is not gonna do you any favors.

So there you go. Btw guys, please not use my real name; I will be greatful.

Cheers.

Now back to lurking.
northwestairlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-24-2010, 12:33 PM   #2 (permalink)
Clipper Tom Servo
 
LOT 737-300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere near MCO.
Age: 33
Posts: 2,303
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Hmm, comparison to diecast cars, SAF, hmm, Jack is that you? Jack or not, I have found this a good read.

1. Models are planned in advance.

Agreed, it has been stressed a lot by Rod himself, including those others who have worked with GJ here.

2. Just because you say it will sell does not mean it will sell.

I would say 5% is a bit lower, 10%-15% minimum would be far more reasonable. Of course, sometimes what we suggest would sell. For example, think of a LOT IL-62 or Aeroflot IL-62. The original Aeroflot IL-62 (RA-regged) sold out in a heartbeat, and this is an aircraft that "regular folk", at least in the states wouldn't notice too much. A UA Battleship 737 I think would sell as well, maybe not as fast as, let's say a Lufty A330, or a Emirates A380, but it would sell fairly well. The SAAB 340, as well as the Shorts 360 that use the JC tooling has proven fairly popular as well with many retailers. It took my source about 2 weeks to secure me one (finally in the mail, thank god). Under the logic you had said though, in my opinion, the only models that would sell are A380s, DC-3s, 707s and 747s. And you know, there could be diecast models of Chevy Malibus, ****, I've even seen diecast replicas of Lada Rivas (not the Top Gear mod) and ZAZ 968s you could buy over the net.

Also, as most models of cars are typically of either Sports cars, Antique cars, larger transport trucks or emergency vehicles. Under that logic, the only models we have now are of only fighter aircraft, Airliners before the 1970s, and 747s and A380s, as well as Emergency service Helicopters. Granted though, it has been proven that diecast fighters sell well (especially in 1:72 and 1:48 scales), and that we also have quite a few helicopters, even of Emergency Services/Police out there too.

3. Rolling gears are here to stay, no matter how much you hate it.

Well, the kids have matchbox Skybusters and those other cheapies that compared with these were meant to be played with by a child and are far less destructible. Of course, I think what Rod meant by "kid" may have been what I label a tween (an 10-13 year old.) When GJ was going on a "moderns only" streak a year or two ago, I flat out accused them of catering only to this group, glad to see they took the complaint (that also popped up with others) and went out to diversify their offerings. My problem though has been is that rolling gears have a nasty habit of falling out on our models (when then now that I think of it presents a chocking hazard, Rod you may need to let the president know that there is a liability in the models now, might need to consider static gears again! ) In all seriousness, I think most of us, whether we like them or not have just come to terms that we'll have to accept the fact that Rolling gears are here to stay, at least there are being attempts to make them realististic.

4. Printing and color issues are gonna happen, get over it.

Rivet counters exist, get over them, hell, you even have some rivet counting going on with T-Gauge at times! Stop telling us to kiss the *** of the "Casual collector", this is like going onto a gaming forum and telling the members there to kiss the *** of the casual gamer and that is why over the years their favorite game series is getting watered down and stupefied (What has been going with Ace Combat is a good example, down to the point where they got rid of Strangereal (Ace Combat's earth) and replaced it with real earth and made it into a USAF vs. VVS Ru deal, just like any other damn jet fighting game out there, was a bigger kick in the *** for the hardcores when the Producer essentially said he was dumbing down the game for "casual gamers".)

5. No model is perfect.
If I was going to spend 20-30 bucks on a model, I would like the paint to be full, not chipped, and I think even those "casual buyers" you mention are the same way (oh wait, according to you, it's almost entirely children who buy these, nevermind). It's like being made to pay 100 bucks for an Atlas Locomotive when the it's handrails are warped beyond belief.

And because someone brought it up, these are 2 forum issues that I always seem to notice in the past. I'm sure there's more, but;

Quote:
1. Flaming someone for no reason; Okay, I done it before. Now obviously, poor spelling/grammar are annoying, butt that does not mean you should call out and blame a person for a opinion. So what if a user doesn't like Airbuses or Boeings, as long as they are not ranting about it in thousands of posts or really trying to offend someone, who cares? And no, being a senior does not give you any right to do that, and if you do it a lot you are just as bad as some n00b that comes in and rants a lot (and on most forums I go to, they don't care too much about how long you been on the forum; an offense is an offense, no matter who posted it).
Now I know this is Jack Miller, mods, banning service requested, one got through the screening process. Honestly Jack, just behave yourself and don't get into fights with members who have been here longer than you have, and I'm sure you'll enjoy a long life on these forums. That IS why you have gotten banned 4x10^(15) times between Wings 900, DAC, Buzz, 400SH and TnP. You end up somehow kicking up a **** storm and it ends up pissing off quite a few of the folks. It's essentially a kick in the face you tell us to kiss your *** when you post garbage (especially like in your airflorid 54 and flyer days over at Wings.)

Quote:
2. Politics. This is not Conservapedia or RationalWiki (as much as I love reading it); yes, politics is fine as long as people can be civil and posting it at the right time. But saying that Obama caused your sales to slump or something like that is not gonna do you any favors.

So there you go. Btw guys, please not use my real name; I will be greatful.
Too late, anyways, Politics exist here, they essentially exist most everywhere. Since you're telling us to get over our diecast issues, why don't you just get over your forum issues, Jack? Besides, the way you typed this up makes it sound like you're describing the Political lounge of 400SH, which we really do not have around here, nor do any of our threads go that direction these days.

We do have our Hobby Politics, which typically goes as 2 or more folks beating each other over the head saying essentially the same thing in different ways to each other for about 2 or more days, until they realize that they either will a) never come to an agreement and convince the other side that their views are valid (very hard to do on the net anyways, more common ending in my opinion), or b) realize that they indeed have been saying the same thing for about the last 2 or more days and just laugh over it.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LOT 737-300; 10-24-2010 at 12:43 PM.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Cornish Game Hen
 
WestjetterO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One Tree Hill
Posts: 3,098
Send a message via MSN to WestjetterO
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quite the surprise, Jack! It's been a while.

1. Yes I do recall Rod and others saying models are planned well in advance. I remember something like 6 Months. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. And yes like LOT 737-300 said, not everything will sell. More than once I've seen people defending their wish for the release of an obscure Airline with the idea that it would sell well. Even after being told the chances are very low. But then there are others with several people saying they will purchase a model if it was made, Also saying it would sell well. But you can never really tell. There might be one guy on DA.C asking for an obscure release, but there might be 500+ others out there who would also buy it (who are not on DA.C). Same goes for more popular ones, you could have 20 people on DA.C saying they will buy x from GJ, but in the big picture you may very well only have those 20 DA.Cers who will buy that release (although 20 people sounds unrealistic, you get the idea), give or take a few other collectors. So there are always people out there who aren't on DA.C or W900 who may be willing to support or buy a release.

3. About rolling gears, I really couldn't care less. If they roll thats fine, if they don't thats fine too. What I would like to see is more detailed gear. Stop putting time into making the gear movable and focus on the detail! They can be movable or immovable, but the detail is what I look at.

4. Small things like a missing title, tiny cracks (I mean tinythat you can't see unless you look closely) or the wrong shade of colour (as long as it's not obvious). Things like parts missing, large paint chips, things disassembled and bad printing (I mean BAD) aren't really things that please me, but I'll live with it. I'm not really one to get frustrated over issues, but then again continuos major flaws and bad QC gets on my nerves and I feel bad for all those collectors who've spent good money to buy a model that's completely crap. At the same time, starting threads and ranting over one small detail or a missing antennae is an absolute joke.

5. ^Basically the same as 4.^

As for Forum issues. I'm not even going to get into that. I try to avoid Political discussions and the like. All the things you don't talk about at the dinner table.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Recent Flights:
-DL1042 RIC-ATL 7.29.13. (MD88)
-DL2442 ATL-YYZ 7.29.13. (A319)

-WS674 YYC-YYZ 8.24.13. (B736)
WestjetterO is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-24-2010, 02:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
"Don of the Diecast World
 
GARUDAROD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Moved from the FL Sun to the desert Heat
Age: 58
Posts: 1,126
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestairlines View Post
Sure, they are a pain in the azz, but remember what Rod said-a lot of the buyers nowdays are kids. Now, I know this hard to realize, but if you were a kid, what fun is a model plane if it can only sit there in static mode? They can't "fly", sure, but big, rolling gears are more attractive to a kid than static plastic gears. They may look bad, but they sell.
I must be getting old, when did I say that most of the buyers nowdays are kids????
GARUDAROD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:53 PM   #5 (permalink)
Howling Mad Collector
 
BAConcorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: England!
Age: 47
Posts: 526
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Just read all this.. Off to shoot myself now. The fun never stops here, eh? BANG!
BAConcorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
18 years collecting 1:400
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near GLA
Age: 50
Posts: 6,447
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

The great god of die cast has spoken, back to sleep now people...
__________________
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
Returning from exile!!
 
Tomasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

I don't think kids buy these models. They can't afford them.
As for the flame wars, have to agree, some senior members think they know more because they've been on a forum longer. Go figure.

If you're in this hobby you have to understand that at this scale there is no perfection especially since they're all made in China...the quality capital of the World.

Who's Jack Miller anyways?
Tomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Clipper Tom Servo
 
LOT 737-300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere near MCO.
Age: 33
Posts: 2,303
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasz View Post
I don't think kids buy these models. They can't afford them.
As for the flame wars, have to agree, some senior members think they know more because they've been on a forum longer. Go figure.

If you're in this hobby you have to understand that at this scale there is no perfection especially since they're all made in China...the quality capital of the World.

Who's Jack Miller anyways?
On the first point, you've obviously never been to youtube (home of the unboxing video)!

On the second, you'll get flamed if you post crap quality, or just nonsense (like "the DC-10 murders people"), you'll likely won't get far around here with that thought process. At least here one can build themselves up to a better informed collector. There are forums where if you post like you failed the 3rd grade Florida FCAT, you'll get the boot ASAP, no warning. DAC isn't one of them, but they do have limits too on how much they can take, knowing the mods here, they'll let you know if your posts are not up to a certain quality. ALL forums work like this, just best to get to know how the forum works and know what to say and not to. Of course, to be fair towards Jack, he has improved greatly during his time over at SAF, at least that is what I have heard from Stevek and Willie.

QC from China is getting better, but basically people ask for a quality product that is built right. Most of the time, the manufactures get it right, others times OTOH.....

As for Jack Miller, he is northwestairlines (found out by looking back at his old posts.) He also has gone by the names Airflorid54, Atlanta Rules, americanair, N818NW (or something like that), flyer and various others between TnP, Wings900, the Buzz, 400SH and DAC. He tends to come back after getting banned under another account name, and the new admins are looking over all the accounts banned by Warfel and seeing if they were fit bans or not, and lift the ones that were not. I guess he didn't leave note this was a Jack Account. Remember what I said about posting nonsense? This is the example of what happens when you do.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LOT 737-300; 10-24-2010 at 09:11 PM.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Returning from exile!!
 
Tomasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT 737-300 View Post
On the first point, you've obviously never been to youtube (home of the unboxing video)!

On the second, you'll get flamed if you post crap quality, or just nonsense (like "the DC-10 murders people"), you'll likely won't get far around here with that thought process. At least here one can build themselves up to a better informed collector. There are forums where if you post like you failed the 3rd grade Florida FCAT, you'll get the boot ASAP, no warning. DAC isn't one of them, but they do have limits too on how much they can take, knowing the mods here, they'll let you know if your posts are not up to a certain quality. ALL forums work like this, just best to get to know how the forum works and know what to say and not to.

QC from China is getting better, but basically people ask for a quality product that is built right. Most of the time, the manufactures get it right, others times OTOH.....

As for Jack Miller, he is northwestairlines (found out by looking back at his old posts.) He also has gone by the names Airflorid54, Atlanta Rules, americanair, N818NW (or something like that), flyer and various others between TnP, Wings900, the Buzz, 400SH and DAC. He tends to come back after getting banned under another account name, and the new admins are looking over all the accounts banned by Warfel and seeing if they were fit bans or not, and lift the ones that were not. I guess he didn't leave note this was a Jack Account. Remember what I said about posting nonsense? This is the example of what happens when you do.
Oh, I've seen that moron tearing apart models and hammering them into the table but I just don't think there are alot of them around. I've also seen the owner of Jet X acting like one of his customers.

As for the foolish posters, I just learned to ignore them and not regress down to their level and insult and ridicule them as they are doing a good job at that themselves. Some people have thinner skin than others I guess.
Tomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:36 PM   #10 (permalink)
Clipper Tom Servo
 
LOT 737-300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere near MCO.
Age: 33
Posts: 2,303
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasz View Post
Oh, I've seen that moron tearing apart models and hammering them into the table but I just don't think there are alot of them around. I've also seen the owner of Jet X acting like one of his customers.

As for the foolish posters, I just learned to ignore them and not regress down to their level and insult and ridicule them as they are doing a good job at that themselves. Some people have thinner skin than others I guess.
I think you're confusing Jack for GeminiJetz, two different folks (and he was a member here, got banned.) While I may not see eye to eye with Jack, I'm sure he treats his models much better than GeminiJetz does in his video. Jack was just known for posting low quality, and then at some point here as something like N8N1NW went on a vendetta against Klein and the Aeroclassics brand that got to the point where even folks that didn't see eye to eye with Andrew told him to cut it out, simply because he was making that much of an *** of himself (and the fact he truly was tapering on the edge of libel.) Good to see he got past that phase. Whether or not he gets another chance is up to the mods, but I guess since he has improved over at SAF, I suppose giving him another chance would not be too bad. I noticed he had rejoined TnP, and that is the stance we have taken, as long as he's not stirring up ****, he's fine to go!

Over the years I have learned is that, while its ok to a certain point, sometimes you need to act. I could go on with many examples of the last near 6 years of me being on the forums where ignoring it did make issues worse, sometimes to a point where the forum becomes unreadable. That is where the older folks come in and take care of things, if it doesn't work out, then the mods/admins usually will from there.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by LOT 737-300; 10-24-2010 at 09:42 PM.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:13 PM   #11 (permalink)
Commander Takamachi
 
northwestairlines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Between that weed and downtown Boulder
Age: 29
Posts: 135
Send a message via AIM to northwestairlines
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT 737-300 View Post
I think you're confusing Jack for GeminiJetz, two different folks (and he was a member here, got banned.) While I may not see eye to eye with Jack, I'm sure he treats his models much better than GeminiJetz does in his video. Jack was just known for posting low quality, and then at some point here as something like N8N1NW went on a vendetta against Klein and the Aeroclassics brand that got to the point where even folks that didn't see eye to eye with Andrew told him to cut it out, simply because he was making that much of an *** of himself (and the fact he truly was tapering on the edge of libel.) Good to see he got past that phase. Whether or not he gets another chance is up to the mods, but I guess since he has improved over at SAF, I suppose giving him another chance would not be too bad. I noticed he had rejoined TnP, and that is the stance we have taken, as long as he's not stirring up ****, he's fine to go!

Over the years I have learned is that, while its ok to a certain point, sometimes you need to act. I could go on with many examples of the last near 6 years of me being on the forums where ignoring it did make issues worse, sometimes to a point where the forum becomes unreadable. That is where the older folks come in and take care of things, if it doesn't work out, then the mods/admins usually will from there.
LOT, you forgot the "parodist" part of my post. (Not ED/4chan style as I would have hoped, but hell, I succeeded in the "parodist" part.) Tho I do have a few model planes-just for the hell of it.

Anyways, I'm not too much a pro at this "model sales stats" thing, so I'll let you guys decide. Don't expect to see me much around here tho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasz View Post
I don't think kids buy these models. They can't afford them.
As for the flame wars, have to agree, some senior members think they know more because they've been on a forum longer. Go figure.

If you're in this hobby you have to understand that at this scale there is no perfection especially since they're all made in China...the quality capital of the World.

Who's Jack Miller anyways?
Is it just me, or is this someone that has been here long ago? Cause the posting style and several names/clues in the post certainly points to another user....

Last edited by northwestairlines; 10-24-2010 at 10:17 PM.
northwestairlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #12 (permalink)
Returning from exile!!
 
Tomasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOT 737-300 View Post
I think you're confusing Jack for GeminiJetz, two different folks (and he was a member here, got banned.) While I may not see eye to eye with Jack, I'm sure he treats his models much better than GeminiJetz does in his video. Jack was just known for posting low quality, and then at some point here as something like N8N1NW went on a vendetta against Klein and the Aeroclassics brand that got to the point where even folks that didn't see eye to eye with Andrew told him to cut it out, simply because he was making that much of an *** of himself (and the fact he truly was tapering on the edge of libel.) Good to see he got past that phase. Whether or not he gets another chance is up to the mods, but I guess since he has improved over at SAF, I suppose giving him another chance would not be too bad. I noticed he had rejoined TnP, and that is the stance we have taken, as long as he's not stirring up ****, he's fine to go!

Over the years I have learned is that, while its ok to a certain point, sometimes you need to act. I could go on with many examples of the last near 6 years of me being on the forums where ignoring it did make issues worse, sometimes to a point where the forum becomes unreadable. That is where the older folks come in and take care of things, if it doesn't work out, then the mods/admins usually will from there.
No, I was referring to Geminijetz as the "kid" buying models.
I never followed Jack's posting career, maybe that's why I didn't know who he was by name.
Tomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Boeing 777 fanboy
 
CXB77L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Age: 40
Posts: 796
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestairlines View Post
Most people have to realize that the "true" collectors represent about 5% or even less of the people that buys these things. Now, most times a plane is brought up in a wishlist and never mentioned again. But some has been brought up over and over, even tho it makes little financial sense to do so. Case in point; United Battleship 737. Sure, fleet collectors might be all over it, but out of 500 units, how many people will buy one? Unless a lot of people really want a big fleet of them, not many people will buy them. They will sit on the shelves for a long time. The reason special and obscure liveries sell is because as rare and unusual as they are, they are somehow interesting to the casual buyer/collector-think about it, is a gray 737 really gonna catch your eye faster than a plane that looks like a giant whale? Kinda like why nobody makes a diecast model of a 90's Chevy Malibu; it's just too boring.
If I understood your post correctly, you're saying that model companies would cater more for the casual buyer than for "true" collectors?

To be honest, I'm not sure where you get your figures from. I don't understand why casual buyers would be intested in a scale model of an aircraft. In my experience, people who buy these models are either aviation enthusiasts or model enthusiasts, especially considering the price of some of the rare models out there. I don't think any parent would spend close to $100 for a rare model for their kids to play with.

Quote:
They may look bad, but they sell.
I don't agree that rolling gears look bad. I quite like them.

Quote:
As much as some people wish that every detail should be perfect, great printing/color or not are not gonna attract a lot of buyers, because the majority just don't care.
Why not? In my case, I buy models because they are supposed to be an accurate scale representation of the real thing. There are some minor imperfections that I can live with - colour happens to be one of them, but is it really that hard to correctly match colours? Is it really that hard to get the printing correct? Is it really that hard to produce an accurate mould? I've said this before, I have no issues with paying double or three times the price for the average 1:400 scale if it means that quality and accuracy will proportionately increase.

Quote:
5. No model is perfect.

This covers issues other than printing or color of a model. Aside from broken pieces or obvious errors, a model is still gonna sell if it looks good. Remember the majority of buyers don't care about a small chip in the paint or wrong nose shape. Hell, some of them don't even know if the model has some kind of error.
I accept that no model is ever perfect, but there is no harm in pushing model companies to strive for perfection - to produce the most accurate mould with the most accurate printing. The quality of 1:400 scale models is nowhere near comparable with those of 1:18 or 1:43 cars, for instance. I don't work in the industry, so I'll admit that I don't know the first thing about producing a model with accurate mould, printing and colours, so would someone please enlighten me as to why it is so hard to get it right?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- My (very small) collection

WANTED:
1:400 BigBird Cathay Pacific B747-400 old colours VR-HOO and VR-HOP
1:400 Gemini Jets Cathay Pacific L-1011 old colours
CXB77L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:27 AM   #14 (permalink)
Banned
 
waffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Age: 35
Posts: 6,905
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Good grief, you let all the kiddies back in, and it's redux all over again. Do ya'll not have better things to do?
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 02:43 PM   #15 (permalink)
Howling Mad Collector
 
BAConcorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: England!
Age: 47
Posts: 526
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
Good grief, you let all the kiddies back in, and it's redux all over again. Do ya'll not have better things to do?
I do! That's why my comment was very short before i shot myself.
BAConcorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 03:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned
 
waffle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Age: 35
Posts: 6,905
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAConcorde View Post
I do! That's why my comment was very short before i shot myself.
Shoot me too please.
waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #17 (permalink)
Dr. Diecast I presume?
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 6,686
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

I shot myself less than halfway thru the first post on this thread. The bullet wound hurt less than trying to read that diatribe.
N. Eberhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #18 (permalink)
Howling Mad Collector
 
BAConcorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: England!
Age: 47
Posts: 526
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffle View Post
Shoot me too please.
I'd love to, but you sometimes supply my models, so you're safe!
BAConcorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:11 PM   #19 (permalink)
Howling Mad Collector
 
BAConcorde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: England!
Age: 47
Posts: 526
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Eberhard View Post
I shot myself less than halfway thru the first post on this thread. The bullet wound hurt less than trying to read that diatribe.
I'm not surprised!
BAConcorde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #20 (permalink)
Rex
DAC Team Member
 
Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Over there...
Posts: 2,461
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
As much as some people wish that every detail should be perfect, great printing/color or not are not gonna attract a lot of buyers, because the majority just don't care.
The majority? don't you mean kids just don't care if the model has the correct color ??

Sure will. Just show an example on all the forums, a model with excellent printing/colours vs a model that has a wrong font, wrong title, colours or whatever. Now go check what model the real collector would buy over one another. Note I made the word "Real" in bold letters, not to confused with the kids.

Quote:
but big, rolling gears are more attractive to a kid than static plastic gears, They may look bad, but they sell.
Kids actually buy the models just because it's wheels rolls ? Well it shows, just by looking at GeminiJetz's videos. *Yanks the model down the table*

I kinda miss those static wheels. How many times have I lost the rolling wheels of AC models, even Phoenix today with their rolling wheels, most of them is alright, but I sure get pissed off when the wheels do disappear somewhere and it forces you to crawl on the floor to go Search and Rescue and find the tiny black donut. I vote for NON Rolling Wheels !!
__________________
-Rex
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Clipper Tom Servo
 
LOT 737-300's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Somewhere near MCO.
Age: 33
Posts: 2,303
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
The majority? don't you mean kids just don't care if the model has the correct color ??

Sure will. Just show an example on all the forums, a model with excellent printing/colours vs a model that has a wrong font, wrong title, colours or whatever. Now go check what model the real collector would buy over one another. Note I made the word "Real" in bold letters, not to confused with the kids.

Kids actually buy the models just because it's wheels rolls ? Well it shows, just by looking at GeminiJetz's videos. *Yanks the model down the table*

I kinda miss those static wheels. How many times have I lost the rolling wheels of AC models, even Phoenix today with their rolling wheels, most of them is alright, but I sure get pissed off when the wheels do disappear somewhere and it forces you to crawl on the floor to go Search and Rescue and find the tiny black donut. I vote for NON Rolling Wheels !!
Or as I experienced today looking at my beautiful shiny new SAAB, the factory forgets to put them in the first place. Figuring out what to do from here, sorta dumb having a model not having nose gear wheels.

Should say on that note though, despite the wonky props on her, the Shorts 360 is also worth going for!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
LOT 737-300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:00 AM   #22 (permalink)
Diecast Quality Inspector
 
Adrian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: England
Posts: 3,826
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Kids actually buy the models just because it's wheels rolls ? Well it shows, just by looking at GeminiJetz's videos. *Yanks the model down the table!!
...wheels go flying off into the carpet...kid picks them up and puts them in his mouth, chokes and is rushed to hospital....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
I kinda miss those static wheels. How many times have I lost the rolling wheels of AC models, even Phoenix today with their rolling wheels, most of them is alright, but I sure get pissed off when the wheels do disappear somewhere and it forces you to crawl on the floor to go Search and Rescue and find the tiny black donut. I vote for NON Rolling Wheels !!
Sooo many people, including me, agree but the manufacturers stubbornly persist with these rolling wheels!
__________________
Adrian


The missing B.707s still needed to be done in 1/400: Uganda Airlines, Luxair,

DC-8s still needed to be done in 1/400: UAT, Iberia ('80s scheme), Air Ceylon, Air Spain, Seaboard World (-63CF)

Aeroclassics Comets still missing- Dan Air (4 & 4C), United Arab Airlines/Misrair/Egyptair, Kuwait AW, Sudan AW, East African AW, Saudi Royal Flt.
Adrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 06:11 AM   #23 (permalink)
.
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 617
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
...wheels go flying off into the carpet...kid picks them up and puts them in his mouth, chokes and is rushed to hospital....
You have very good imagination.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Sooo many people, including me, agree but the manufacturers stubbornly persist with these rolling wheels!
Actually, wheels only come off if you roll them too much and too fast. If you roll it just a gently and just a little then I guess it'll be fine. But of course, some have defects(including my C-FIVS) and they come off even if you roll it just for 2CM.
__________________
My Collection:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cathay Pacific B-HKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:10 AM   #24 (permalink)
Returning from exile!!
 
Tomasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

The whining and complaining about rolling tires is never-ending. Just put a small dab of glue on the visible metal pin at both ends.
Tomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #25 (permalink)
Rex
DAC Team Member
 
Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Over there...
Posts: 2,461
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasz View Post
The whining and complaining about rolling tires is never-ending. Just put a small dab of glue on the visible metal pin at both ends.
I presume, that you must be a collector with a small collection of models with rolling gears? Tell that to the collector with over 500 models, that has a big part of AC/PHX models in the fleet.
__________________
-Rex
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #26 (permalink)
Returning from exile!!
 
Tomasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
I presume, that you must be a collector with a small collection of models with rolling gears? Tell that to the collector with over 500 models, that has a big part of AC/PHX models in the fleet.
Actually I have 1592 models. Most are Aeroclassics and Phoenix.
Tomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:46 AM   #27 (permalink)
Rex
DAC Team Member
 
Rex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Over there...
Posts: 2,461
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasz View Post
Actually I have 1592 models. Most are Aeroclassics and Phoenix.
Then you should know it's a pain in the neck to glue every single wheel to the hub? It's not complaining and whining, it's a hassle for the serious collector, this kind of hassle could be avoided if the MNFCs opted to glue the wheel in static mode. Hell I don't care if they rolled, although I prefer static.
__________________
-Rex
Rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #28 (permalink)
Returning from exile!!
 
Tomasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex View Post
Then you should know it's a pain in the neck to glue every single wheel to the hub? It's not complaining and whining, it's a hassle for the serious collector, this kind of hassle could be avoided if the MNFCs opted to glue the wheel in static mode. Hell I don't care if they rolled, although I prefer static.
It sounds like a hassle but it isn't. I buy on average 20 - 30 models a month. I simply dab the glue when I first inspect them as we all do. I would think the serious collector would actually take the time to do this rather than not. Since the rolling wheels were introduced only in the last 3 years or so, it's become a habit for me to do this and it's really quite simple.
Tomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:40 AM   #29 (permalink)
sometimes Zathras
 
dboyd001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: western NY
Posts: 1,878
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestairlines View Post
1. Models are planned in advance.
..... Well DUH! What manufactured item isn't planned in advance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestairlines View Post
2. Just because you say it will sell does not mean it will sell.
..... I've realized long ago the manufacturers (all of them) will make what they make and my opinion is diddly squat. Likewise manufacturers have also made models no one wanted and they gather dust. An example, Aeroclassics' Kuzu A300s that I know several dealers returned them as essentially unsellable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestairlines View Post
3. Rolling gears are here to stay, no matter how much you hate it.
..... Doesn't mean I or anyone else has to like it? The "kids" as you and Rod like to say are probably of the age of 20-something on up. When I was a kid something in this price range was way out of my sight except as exceptional gifts. The "rolling gears are often clumsy-looking, clunky, crooked, over-sized and/or too big for the model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestairlines View Post
4. Printing and color issues are gonna happen, get over it.
..... No we don't have to. If there are problems, I won't buy. Same with other collectors. Go buy a new car and if the paint job has problems are you going to meekly accept it? I think not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestairlines View Post
5. No model is perfect.
..... Again if the model has flaws, I won't buy it. The more serious the flaw, the more collectors won't buy it. Dealers don't like it as flawed models collect dust on their shelves. Again, would you buy a new car knowing in advance it was a lemon?

..... GeminiJets gets some criticism because of QA. I have tired of reattaching stabilizers, engines, rudders, etc. that just fall off or become loose on GJ models (not to mention these wonderful rolling gears). I have bought just one new release GJ model in more than 2 1/2 years because of that issue. In this regard I vote with my wallet. I may be only one collector, but multiply that by all like-minded collectors (knowing I am hardly alone on this).
..... So he-who-has-no-name, return to college, study hard and become successful. Word of advise, do not join the debate team as you are not good at it.
Dave (yes, my name)
__________________
I didn't get to my age by being impatient... I waited.
dboyd001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:08 PM   #30 (permalink)
Former 400USSR Member
 
airport1-600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Posts: 424
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasz View Post
No, I was referring to Geminijetz as the "kid" buying models.
I never followed Jack's posting career, maybe that's why I didn't know who he was by name.
You know, this makes me feel really akward to be 14 and have 97 schabaks built up over 6 months, all nicely organized in a glass case. I'm getting my first gemini tonight, a CO 753, because I am starting now my 1/400 due to better variety and detail. And just because I'm 14 does not mean I treat my models like that, even though he is like, 8 years old.
airport1-600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
Former 400USSR Member
 
airport1-600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Posts: 424
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomasz View Post
No, I was referring to Geminijetz as the "kid" buying models.
I never followed Jack's posting career, maybe that's why I didn't know who he was by name.
He should stick with 'Skybusters'
airport1-600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Highflyer35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 32
Default Re: My opinion on all the GJ ranting lately....

I think that the more senior collects have to realize that "kids" are the next market for these companies and once you are gone they are going to need to please a new market. They need to get these kids into collecting so that they will keep buying models, even if that means releasing a few models with rolling wheels. If you don't like rolling wheels don't buy models with them. It is that simple.
Highflyer35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 PM.

Latest Threads
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.