Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:400 Scale Model Aircraft

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Grecog70
  • 1 Post By mark4323
  • 1 Post By Tris10&11
  • 1 Post By 747438
  • 1 Post By wildpig
  • 1 Post By 747438
  • 1 Post By hiki08
  • 2 Post By 747438
  • 1 Post By hiki08
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Sydney
Age: 24
Posts: 103
Default Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection

After nearly 50 years of service Qantas will officially retire it's last 747-400ER - VH-OEJ, did anyone here manage to book in a seat on its last pax flights?
Qantas operated every type of pax 747 except the -8i, they leased a 747-123 for a short period to cover for late arrivals of their 747-400's.
I hope you enjoy the photos, I am currently searching for a 747-200 with the RB211 engines but it is extremely hard to come across. I am also hoping NG models release an Australian Asia 74L with their new mold.
I hope you enjoy the pics! (Snuck in a new arrival I received today too).
Attached Thumbnails
Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021247.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021300.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021401.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021517.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021525.jpg  

Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021554.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021648.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021701.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021816.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021828.jpg  

Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_225100.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021856.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_021914.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_022111.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_022137.jpg  

Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_022159.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_225437.jpg   Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-img_20200711_225447.jpg  
747438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-11-2020, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Grecog70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rome
Age: 50
Posts: 725
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Lovely collection indeed, tks 4 sharing
747438 likes this.
__________________
"Have a bandit day!"
Grecog70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 11:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
17 years collecting
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near GLA
Posts: 5,945
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Such a shame to see the 747 disappear from airline's fleets so rapidly thanks to Covid-19. More so when it's airlines who have been long standing operators and didn't necessarily mean to lose them at this time. I've still never managed a flight on one, might never now.
__________________
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 07-11-2020, 07:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Livery polution rules!
 
mark4323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 404
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

they released 3 farewell flights. They sold out in 4 minutes!
747438 likes this.
mark4323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Sydney
Age: 24
Posts: 103
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Such a shame to see the 747 disappear from airline's fleets so rapidly thanks to Covid-19. More so when it's airlines who have been long standing operators and didn't necessarily mean to lose them at this time. I've still never managed a flight on one, might never now.
Indeed. in Sydney, we lost both of our only remaining pax
747 operators in a couple of weeks, (Thai and Qantas). I thought I'd never see this day come. Managed to fly on all 3 engine variants on the 747-400 (GE - Thai, RR - Qantas and PW -Delta).
747438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 04:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Fan of the 3 fans
 
Tris10&11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sussex
Posts: 587
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

I have so many good memories of this iconic airliner! The 'Jumbo' was my all time favourite! I've seen all versions operate out of our local hub and particular good memories of it back in the 80's. I also loved it's unique and particular roar that the engines produced on T/O! I got so familiar with it's powerful sounding engines, especially when they took up most've the runway,that by the time they lifted off they were still very low! The ground shook,the windows rattled, the car alarms would be set off without fail and you always had that lovely smell of Kerosene filling the air afterwards. Then you watched it as it gained height and slowly got smaller,thinking this bird just looks so beautiful and even more so in the air! I absolutely loved this aircraft so much and always always will!! Sorry if this has gone way off the subject here pertaining to models,but anybody who loves the seven four like I do,will relate to this very well.
Check out the European 747 out've Bournemouth aswell as the Challenge Air Cargo 744 takeoff on You tube. Awesome!
747438 likes this.
__________________
Three Hole Lover!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


NG Tristars please:Gulf Air/BWIA(Steel drum livery)/RAF x3/Eastern bare metal scheme /Yes Airlines/ LAM Mozambique.
JC MD-11s: Sabena White/ World Airways/Finnair blue tail/ Garuda old colours/City bird/Varig
NG SP: TWA/SAA/Qantas/Air Namibia/Luxair/Air Mauritius/ Pan Am billboard/ Saudi Arabian/ Gulf Govt's

Last edited by Tris10&11; 07-12-2020 at 04:58 AM.
Tris10&11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:30 AM   #7 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Sydney
Age: 24
Posts: 103
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris10&11 View Post
I have so many good memories of this iconic airliner! The 'Jumbo' was my all time favourite! I've seen all versions operate out of our local hub and particular good memories of it back in the 80's. I also loved it's unique and particular roar that the engines produced on T/O! I got so familiar with it's powerful sounding engines, especially when they took up most've the runway,that by the time they lifted off they were still very low! The ground shook,the windows rattled, the car alarms would be set off without fail and you always had that lovely smell of Kerosene filling the air afterwards. Then you watched it as it gained height and slowly got smaller,thinking this bird just looks so beautiful and even more so in the air! I absolutely loved this aircraft so much and always always will!! Sorry if this has gone way off the subject here pertaining to models,but anybody who loves the seven four like I do,will relate to this very well.
Check out the European 747 out've Bournemouth aswell as the Challenge Air Cargo 744 takeoff on You tube. Awesome!
No worries! The 747 is one of my favourites too, (after the 727) I'm lucky to have photographed every series except for the -100! The United 747's at Sydney were deafening while departing for LAX or SFO, using up almost 4km of runway.
Tris10&11 likes this.
747438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:08 AM   #8 (permalink)
Fan of the 3 fans
 
Tris10&11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sussex
Posts: 587
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4323 View Post
they released 3 farewell flights. They sold out in 4 minutes!
FOUR minutes???!!! Were their hands on the buttons?!!
__________________
Three Hole Lover!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


NG Tristars please:Gulf Air/BWIA(Steel drum livery)/RAF x3/Eastern bare metal scheme /Yes Airlines/ LAM Mozambique.
JC MD-11s: Sabena White/ World Airways/Finnair blue tail/ Garuda old colours/City bird/Varig
NG SP: TWA/SAA/Qantas/Air Namibia/Luxair/Air Mauritius/ Pan Am billboard/ Saudi Arabian/ Gulf Govt's

Last edited by Tris10&11; 07-15-2020 at 02:10 AM.
Tris10&11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 02:28 AM   #9 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Sydney
Age: 24
Posts: 103
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark4323 View Post
they released 3 farewell flights. They sold out in 4 minutes!
I don't think it was that fast, my mate nearly got a window seat 1 hour after, but his internet crashed and didn't end up getting anything.
747438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 03:52 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Miami
Posts: 809
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747438 View Post
I don't think it was that fast, my mate nearly got a window seat 1 hour after, but his internet crashed and didn't end up getting anything.
No use for me to even try coming from US. We are banned from nearly every place thanks to our disastrous response to covid ;(

I did flew to melbourne from LAX about 21 yrs ago on one of their B744. It was a great flight!
747438 likes this.
wildpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
17 years collecting
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near GLA
Posts: 5,945
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

News leaking out tonight's suggesting BA have announced the immediate retiral of its 747 fleet.
__________________
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Sydney
Age: 24
Posts: 103
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
News leaking out tonight's suggesting BA have announced the immediate retiral of its 747 fleet.

https://youtu.be/umDr0mPuyQc
747438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
Collector
 
hiki08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 54
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

That's quite an amazing collection of Qantas 747s! I just got my hands on one (just one, VH-OED) to commemorate what in my mind was quite an era of the 747 with Qantas.

While I've certainly flown the 747 a number of times before, come to think of it, I can't pinpoint which was the last time. Certainly many years back. And as others have pointed out, the chance of flying it again in the future is not high (not the 747-400 anyway).

With a tiny fraction of passenger numbers which are likely to stay low for at least the next year or so, and the age of the 747 fleets, it seems like their retirement will continue to be a trend. Sad to see this big bird go.
hiki08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:45 AM   #14 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Sydney
Age: 24
Posts: 103
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiki08 View Post
That's quite an amazing collection of Qantas 747s! I just got my hands on one (just one, VH-OED) to commemorate what in my mind was quite an era of the 747 with Qantas.

While I've certainly flown the 747 a number of times before, come to think of it, I can't pinpoint which was the last time. Certainly many years back. And as others have pointed out, the chance of flying it again in the future is not high (not the 747-400 anyway).

With a tiny fraction of passenger numbers which are likely to stay low for at least the next year or so, and the age of the 747 fleets, it seems like their retirement will continue to be a trend. Sad to see this big bird go.
Thankyou! Wow, that's quite a rare one. Never knew anyone released a 1/400 VH-OED, where did you get it?
747438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 03:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Fan of the 3 fans
 
Tris10&11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sussex
Posts: 587
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

I see Gemini are releasing a standard version ( with GE engines) both in 1/400 and 1/200. I have the old Dragon one with the Rolls Royce engines and want to replace it, but then dont want to replace it!! If that makes sense?
__________________
Three Hole Lover!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


NG Tristars please:Gulf Air/BWIA(Steel drum livery)/RAF x3/Eastern bare metal scheme /Yes Airlines/ LAM Mozambique.
JC MD-11s: Sabena White/ World Airways/Finnair blue tail/ Garuda old colours/City bird/Varig
NG SP: TWA/SAA/Qantas/Air Namibia/Luxair/Air Mauritius/ Pan Am billboard/ Saudi Arabian/ Gulf Govt's
Tris10&11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 05:19 AM   #16 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Sydney
Age: 24
Posts: 103
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris10&11 View Post
I see Gemini are releasing a standard version ( with GE engines) both in 1/400 and 1/200. I have the old Dragon one with the Rolls Royce engines and want to replace it, but then dont want to replace it!! If that makes sense?
You can't have too many 747 models...
Tris10&11 likes this.
747438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Collector
 
hiki08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 54
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747438 View Post
Thankyou! Wow, that's quite a rare one. Never knew anyone released a 1/400 VH-OED, where did you get it?
I got it from a Japanese retailer. It's a Dragon Wings, and according to DIMA, it was a limited edition made specially for some model shop in Taiwan (with the number printed on its belly). I've been curious about these special editions, as I've seen them made for specific stores in Japan too. Wonder if anyone has any idea about this? A single store commissioning a whole lot of a model?

DW with limited edition numbering also tend to have more detailed prints too, with rego on nose gear doors and rain gutters above doors (which many non-limited versions do not have - and which always gets me). I've been hoping to get an Ansett 744 in standard livery but a good (detailed) version at a palatable price is hard to come by!

I don't collect much DWs, but now that I've got two that contain a lot of white, I've been noticing their 'white' has a tinge of red.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tris10&11 View Post
I see Gemini are releasing a standard version ( with GE engines) both in 1/400 and 1/200. I have the old Dragon one with the Rolls Royce engines and want to replace it, but then dont want to replace it!! If that makes sense?
Makes complete sense. It means you'll be keeping those old Dragons and getting new Geminis!
Tris10&11 likes this.
hiki08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 12:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
Collector
 
hiki08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 54
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Excuse the double post - but since this thread is about the farewell of the Qantas jumbo, here's a post to commemorate 747's conclusion of 49 years of service with Qantas today with the departure of VH-OEJ as the last Qantas 747 to fly out of Australia.

Here's a little drawing VH-OEJ did en route out of Sydney as I intermittently went onto the flightradar24 app to check earlier today.

As of posting, it is now South East of Hawaii around 3 hours 43min from landing at LAX on this approx 14 hour 20min flight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3736.jpg (101.5 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by hiki08; 07-22-2020 at 12:11 PM.
hiki08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:45 AM   #19 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Sydney
Age: 24
Posts: 103
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Well, it was a very sad day yesterday. If you want, I can make a dedicated thread to the photos of her last takeoff from Australia? I must've taken over a hundred photos, with tears in my eyes of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collection-received_303899754095014.jpg  
Tris10&11 and hiki08 like this.
747438 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 12:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Collector
 
hiki08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 54
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747438 View Post
Well, it was a very sad day yesterday. If you want, I can make a dedicated thread to the photos of her last takeoff from Australia? I must've taken over a hundred photos, with tears in my eyes of course.
Great photo! Been seeing a few on the photos database webpages the past few days. Was there quite a crowd? What was it like? Would be happy to see any photos of the occasion.

Saw this beautiful video of its flyover above Sydney harbour with a voiceover from ATC.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4R7...5kdJvx9TAFClI8
400metal likes this.
hiki08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 01:24 PM   #21 (permalink)
King of the Geeks
 
Kitty Hawk 1903's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: 1313 Mockingbird Lane,Mockingbird Heights.
Age: 52
Posts: 5,432
Default Re: Farewell Qantas Jumbo - My Qantas 747 collecti

I received this yesterday.

https://australianaviation.com.au/20...paign=24072020
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


David
Kitty Hawk 1903 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:32 PM.

Latest Threads
- by ukjohna
- by BA2936
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.