NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC. - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:400 Scale Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #1
17 years collecting
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near GLA
Posts: 5,693
Default NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC.

Now reissued with a full complement of dotted I's and also after the other printing mishap that saw the initial run with the printing for the 100 on the 200 and vice versa.

This was disappointing as it meant an extra long wait for this, one of my holy grails, but boy was it worth it. Absolutely lovely model, which I've displayed along with the Aeroclassics 500 series edition. Looking forward to adding the NG L-1011-500 BA Negus editions once released too. Enjoy the pics...













__________________
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !

Last edited by Big Al; 01-26-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Big Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-26-2020, 12:00 PM   #2
1:400 collector
 
UK_Dispatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi
Age: 40
Posts: 594
Send a message via MSN to UK_Dispatcher
Default

Beauty. I just paid for this with ARD so look forward to recieving mine, along with the British Airtours version too.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK_Dispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:49 PM   #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 6
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Looks great
zizimarizi is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 01-26-2020, 05:38 PM   #4
Complete Wacko!
 
European Collector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 3,733
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

I'll try to get my hands on one of these too.
__________________
*** more classic liveries please ***
European Collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 05:57 AM   #5
aka Goonybird
 
Aviaction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Planet Gong
Posts: 1,865
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Just found this picture on ebay.


A BA "British" Tristar with Airtours on the tail.

This messes with my head.......


So NG can we have one please..........


__________________
70x 1/200 Concordes - and the fleet keeps growing. 4x 1/200 Concordskis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aviaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #6
40 Years of Collecting
 
Madridista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: GEML/EDDL/KSFO
Posts: 1,449
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

You can find ANY British Airways L-1011 version in Negus livery with ‚British Airtours‘ titles... even -500s.
__________________
My 1/200 Wants List for 2020
Gemini200: Martinair 767-300ER (1990's 'Martinair Holland' c/s), Condor 757-300 (1999 delivery cs.), Condor 757-300WL (2004 white/blue/yellow cs.), Hapag-Lloyd A310-300
Inflight200: Swiss A330-300 & A340-300 (both in 2003 c/s)
NG Models: Binter Mediterráneo CASA CN-235
Madridista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:23 AM   #7
aka Goonybird
 
Aviaction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Planet Gong
Posts: 1,865
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madridista View Post
You can find ANY British Airways L-1011 version in Negus livery with ‚British Airtours‘ titles... even -500s.

But not with "British" Titles on the for'ead.
Airtours had "British Airtours" up front.
__________________
70x 1/200 Concordes - and the fleet keeps growing. 4x 1/200 Concordskis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aviaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:26 AM   #8
Master Collector
 
ngmodel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: GUANG DONG
Posts: 720
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

This doesn't look like a mainstream livery, emm... maybe we can do it at proper schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaction View Post
Just found this picture on ebay.


A BA "British" Tristar with Airtours on the tail.

This messes with my head.......


So NG can we have one please..........


ngmodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #9
1:400 collector
 
UK_Dispatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi
Age: 40
Posts: 594
Send a message via MSN to UK_Dispatcher
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaction View Post
Just found this picture on ebay.


A BA "British" Tristar with Airtours on the tail.

This messes with my head.......


So NG can we have one please..........


That is a rare combination and I dare say it was very short-lived! We live and learn.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK_Dispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
40 Years of Collecting
 
Madridista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: GEML/EDDL/KSFO
Posts: 1,449
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaction View Post
But not with "British" Titles on the for'ead.
Airtours had "British Airtours" up front.
My bad, I didn’t recognize the different fuselage titles... rare, indeed.
__________________
My 1/200 Wants List for 2020
Gemini200: Martinair 767-300ER (1990's 'Martinair Holland' c/s), Condor 757-300 (1999 delivery cs.), Condor 757-300WL (2004 white/blue/yellow cs.), Hapag-Lloyd A310-300
Inflight200: Swiss A330-300 & A340-300 (both in 2003 c/s)
NG Models: Binter Mediterráneo CASA CN-235
Madridista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #11
17 years collecting
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near GLA
Posts: 5,693
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngmodel View Post
This doesn't look like a mainstream livery, emm... maybe we can do it at proper schedule.
Maybe a special edition for the next LGW fair in April ?
__________________
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:24 PM   #12
aka Goonybird
 
Aviaction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Planet Gong
Posts: 1,865
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Maybe a special edition for the next LGW fair in April ?

NG only need to change the fuselage titles on the current release?
As long as NG dot the "I's"
__________________
70x 1/200 Concordes - and the fleet keeps growing. 4x 1/200 Concordskis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aviaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #13
17 years collecting
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near GLA
Posts: 5,693
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaction View Post
NG only need to change the fuselage titles on the current release?
As long as NG dot the "I's"
The I's have it...
__________________
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 03:35 PM   #14
British Airways Collector
 
BA2936's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: London
Posts: 547
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Get's my vote, great picture, could be a rare model!

Loving this hybrid livery!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaction View Post
Just found this picture on ebay.


A BA "British" Tristar with Airtours on the tail.

This messes with my head.......


So NG can we have one please..........



Last edited by BA2936; 01-28-2020 at 03:39 PM.
BA2936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:23 PM   #15
Speedbird 9
 
barison82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LONDON
Age: 37
Posts: 1,240
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

I think I might have already referenced this photo before somewhere, a while ago. It would certainly be a unique subject, perhaps a bit too niche, but I don't think the aircraft ever flew like that - this was taken when G-BBAJ was midway through it's handover to British Airtours, and the alteration of the livery wasn't complete. A great capture nonetheless.
__________________
"If you're in a hurry, don't worry because I've got a pretty fast act. Before you get a chance to hate me, I'll be gone." - Tommy Cooper


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

barison82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #16
17 years collecting
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near GLA
Posts: 5,693
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by barison82 View Post
I think I might have already referenced this photo before somewhere, a while ago. It would certainly be a unique subject, perhaps a bit too niche, but I don't think the aircraft ever flew like that - this was taken when G-BBAJ was midway through it's handover to British Airtours, and the alteration of the livery wasn't complete. A great capture nonetheless.
Indeed so and with the arrival of the more flexible 757 then 767, several BA Tristar 100's were farmed out to British Airtours (later Caledonian) for charter use. The 200's found new roles in regional long haul from Manchester and Glasgow as well as more traditional LHR based long haul until the early 90's.

As mentioned before in the long Tristar thread, BA leased a Tristar 1 from Eastern for a while in full BA livery but retaining the US tail number N323EA, nicknamed 'The Ghost Ship' in reference to rumours of hauntings and apparitions aboard Eastern Tristars fitted with parts reclaimed from the Florida Everglades crash of 1972.
__________________
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:12 PM   #17
Speedbird 9
 
barison82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LONDON
Age: 37
Posts: 1,240
Thumbs up Interesting stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Indeed so and with the arrival of the more flexible 757 then 767, several BA Tristar 100's were farmed out to British Airtours (later Caledonian) for charter use. The 200's found new roles in regional long haul from Manchester and Glasgow as well as more traditional LHR based long haul until the early 90's.

As mentioned before in the long Tristar thread, BA leased a Tristar 1 from Eastern for a while in full BA livery but retaining the US tail number N323EA, nicknamed 'The Ghost Ship' in reference to rumours of hauntings and apparitions aboard Eastern Tristars fitted with parts reclaimed from the Florida Everglades crash of 1972.
Thanks Al for the further info - yes a good number of the BA 100's were passed to the charter operator during the mid-80's, and were also leased to other operators as well, resulting in a few hybrid schemes going on at the time. The remaining 200's hung on with BA until 1992-3 I think.

N323EA in full BA Negus would be an awesome release subject actually! The background story on that tail number really adds to it. Yes, the "Ghost Ship". Famously documented in the book "The Ghost of Flight 401" (1976) and in a subsequent TV movie in 1978, the same year this photo of N323EA was taken:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7567150

The ghost of the Flight Engineer was reported to have been seen on this & other aircraft.
__________________
"If you're in a hurry, don't worry because I've got a pretty fast act. Before you get a chance to hate me, I'll be gone." - Tommy Cooper


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Last edited by barison82; 01-28-2020 at 06:17 PM.
barison82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #18
17 years collecting
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near GLA
Posts: 5,693
Default Re: Interesting stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barison82 View Post

N323EA in full BA Negus would be an awesome release subject actually! The background story on that tail number really adds to it. Yes, the "Ghost Ship". Famously documented in the book "The Ghost of Flight 401" (1976) and in a subsequent TV movie in 1978, the same year this photo of N323EA was taken:

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/7567150

The ghost of the Flight Engineer was reported to have been seen on this & other aircraft.
Yes and it would join a unique band of BA models with US registration numbers. I think the AC 762 in Landor was the most recent ?

As for that ghost story, I love it. As much as I am skeptical about things that go bump in the night, I do enjoy a good spooky story. I had that book years ago and watched the movie too. Curiosity has gotten to me and I have just ordered a tatty second hand paper back copy from eBay. Hah, might even be my old copy, wouldn't that be creepy !
__________________
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 03:20 AM   #19
40 Years of Collecting
 
Madridista's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: GEML/EDDL/KSFO
Posts: 1,449
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by barison82 View Post
I think I might have already referenced this photo before somewhere, a while ago. It would certainly be a unique subject, perhaps a bit too niche, but I don't think the aircraft ever flew like that - this was taken when G-BBAJ was midway through it's handover to British Airtours, and the alteration of the livery wasn't complete. A great capture nonetheless.
Now we’re getting into the sphere of rarity, indeed - and I like it! Of course, NG could do about a hundred special releases like this, actually the same aircraft you are talking about (Eastern’s N323EA) was leased to LTU keeping its original registration too, and adopting a hybrid scheme similar to D-AERC two years later but with a rather remarkable and, this, less attractive grey panel in order to cover the ‘Eastern’ fuselage titles instead of removing them. N323EA then went on to serve with Cathay Pacific before withdrawn from use and leased to Istanbul Airlines, again in kind of a hybrid scheme with basic CX colours (green removed, only white top and metal bottom) and Istanbul Airlines titles and logo, and coming back to Düsseldorf and LTU’s homebase for charter flights frequently).

In opposite to all the Air Algerie, Air Afrique and other hybrids, I’d say this British/British Airtours is a really rare sighting and would make a good special release for a specific happening. However, I don’t know if NG is interested in doing happening-based models... particularly for aviation enthusiasts conventions here in Europe. Granted, the number of models sold at such a convention would be hardly predictable... 10 vs. 100?
__________________
My 1/200 Wants List for 2020
Gemini200: Martinair 767-300ER (1990's 'Martinair Holland' c/s), Condor 757-300 (1999 delivery cs.), Condor 757-300WL (2004 white/blue/yellow cs.), Hapag-Lloyd A310-300
Inflight200: Swiss A330-300 & A340-300 (both in 2003 c/s)
NG Models: Binter Mediterráneo CASA CN-235
Madridista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:16 AM   #20
17 years collecting
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near GLA
Posts: 5,693
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madridista;
However, I don’t know if NG is interested in doing happening-based models... particularly for aviation enthusiasts conventions here in Europe. Granted, the number of models sold at such a convention would be hardly predictable... 10 vs. 100?
AFAIK the unsold models that have been produced for the Gatwick and Heathrow fairs, re-enter general circulation for sale generally. This is of course largely down to the sterling efforts of Keith here in manning a table for NG at these events.
__________________
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 06:30 AM   #21
Fan of the 3 fans
 
Tris10&11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Sussex
Posts: 398
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Another British operator we definitely need to see is Caledonian. Bring it on baby!
__________________
Three hole lover
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

NG Tristars please: TAP/BWIA/RAF x3/Dragonair White/ATA Tropical/ Yes Airlines/ LAM Mozambique.
JCW MD-11s: Sabena White/ World Airways/Finnair blue tail/ Garuda old colours/City bird; Varig
Tris10&11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:23 AM   #22
aka Goonybird
 
Aviaction's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Planet Gong
Posts: 1,865
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Have said before that a company could make a model using it's line no, c/n.
And put out models in each livery it wore through it's service life.
__________________
70x 1/200 Concordes - and the fleet keeps growing. 4x 1/200 Concordskis
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Aviaction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 08:34 AM   #23
17 years collecting
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Near GLA
Posts: 5,693
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaction View Post
Have said before that a company could make a model using it's line no, c/n.
And put out models in each livery it wore through it's service life.
Yeah the BA 757 G-BIKB was an attempt at that, we got original Negus and Utopia versions. Just need a Landor and a DHL.
__________________
Let's be having, the British Airways/British, Negus & Negus BAC 1-11-500 in 1:400 please !
Big Al is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 10:01 AM   #24
1:400 collector
 
UK_Dispatcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Abu Dhabi
Age: 40
Posts: 594
Send a message via MSN to UK_Dispatcher
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviaction View Post
Have said before that a company could make a model using it's line no, c/n.
And put out models in each livery it wore through it's service life.
Aeroclassics did this several years ago with an A300 and a DC-8.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
UK_Dispatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:14 PM   #25
Speedbird 9
 
barison82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LONDON
Age: 37
Posts: 1,240
Wink Re: Interesting stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
Yes and it would join a unique band of BA models with US registration numbers. I think the AC 762 in Landor was the most recent ?

As for that ghost story, I love it. As much as I am skeptical about things that go bump in the night, I do enjoy a good spooky story. I had that book years ago and watched the movie too. Curiosity has gotten to me and I have just ordered a tatty second hand paper back copy from eBay. Hah, might even be my old copy, wouldn't that be creepy !
Yes that's right - the Landor 762 was the other one.

Likewise, I don't mind a bit of spooky paranormal stuff either, I have a few books on the subject and some of the stories are fascinating. Lol that would be hilarious if it turned out to be your old book I found a copy of that book years ago myself in a charity shop, not sure if I still have it now either...
__________________
"If you're in a hurry, don't worry because I've got a pretty fast act. Before you get a chance to hate me, I'll be gone." - Tommy Cooper


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

barison82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:49 PM   #26
Speedbird 9
 
barison82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LONDON
Age: 37
Posts: 1,240
Default Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madridista View Post
Now we’re getting into the sphere of rarity, indeed - and I like it! Of course, NG could do about a hundred special releases like this, actually the same aircraft you are talking about (Eastern’s N323EA) was leased to LTU keeping its original registration too, and adopting a hybrid scheme similar to D-AERC two years later but with a rather remarkable and, this, less attractive grey panel in order to cover the ‘Eastern’ fuselage titles instead of removing them. N323EA then went on to serve with Cathay Pacific before withdrawn from use and leased to Istanbul Airlines, again in kind of a hybrid scheme with basic CX colours (green removed, only white top and metal bottom) and Istanbul Airlines titles and logo, and coming back to Düsseldorf and LTU’s homebase for charter flights frequently).

In opposite to all the Air Algerie, Air Afrique and other hybrids, I’d say this British/British Airtours is a really rare sighting and would make a good special release for a specific happening. However, I don’t know if NG is interested in doing happening-based models... particularly for aviation enthusiasts conventions here in Europe. Granted, the number of models sold at such a convention would be hardly predictable... 10 vs. 100?
Interesting stuff! N323EA had quite a varied career, as many of these aircraft did, so indeed there could be countless release subjects of all these complex livery hybrids/variants, but most are just too niche I reckon. You never know as NG has done quite a bit with hybrids so far. Blue Box & Aviation400/Witty did quite a few with the L-1011 back in the day - the very bland "Air Ops" springs to mind. I do like the rarity aspect as well, it does add that extra depth to the hobby. The British/British Airtours example is extremely unique and would represent a grounded aircraft in that specific timeframe at the LHR maintenance bay, if it was to be represented in a realistic period 1/400 diaroma. Otherwise, it's a fantasy model! Hard to say how well this one would sell, NG did do a few BA/Air Europe hybrids with the 752, but I think quite a few of those are still hanging around unsold. If this was to be made, the best opportunity would have been with the Negus Airtours release, where it could have been tacked onto the end of that run and perhaps saved as a future exclusive for the LGW show.
__________________
"If you're in a hurry, don't worry because I've got a pretty fast act. Before you get a chance to hate me, I'll be gone." - Tommy Cooper


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

barison82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:54 PM   #27
Speedbird 9
 
barison82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: LONDON
Age: 37
Posts: 1,240
Question Re: NG British Airways 'British' L-1011-200 G-BGBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_Dispatcher View Post
Aeroclassics did this several years ago with an A300 and a DC-8.
The A300's were the Billboard Pan Am's? Totalled some 17 examples of each member of the fleet...
__________________
"If you're in a hurry, don't worry because I've got a pretty fast act. Before you get a chance to hate me, I'll be gone." - Tommy Cooper


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

barison82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 PM.

Latest Threads
- by Nublets
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.