Will We Ever See Anymore GJ Virgins? - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:400 Scale Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-28-2002, 10:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 335
Default Will We Ever See Anymore GJ Virgins?

No, I'm not talking about Crownvic.

I was just wondering if we were going to see anymore Virgin Atlantic aircraft from Gemini Jets. Sorry if this has been discussed before, but what was the story/deal with Virgin Atlantic for the orignal two Gemini Jets 747's? I personally would LOVE a Gemini Jets II Virgin Atlantic 747-400 in the new colors.

KLM-MD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-28-2002, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
AV8TOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Age: 46
Posts: 1,054
Default

Gemini Jets..probably not but maybe under another name?
__________________
E ola mau ka `ôlelo Hawai`i!
AV8TOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2002, 11:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
400SH Co-Owner
 
ba777-236's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: About a 40 minute drive from Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,586
Question

Why do we need one?

DW seems to have a done a good representaion of all n/c VA aircrafts. (744, A340, A346)
ba777-236 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-28-2002, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ba777-236
Why do we need one?

DW seems to have a done a good representaion of all n/c VA aircrafts. (744, A340, A346)
Because I do not and will not purchase Dragon Wings or any of their derivatives.
KLM-MD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
400SH Co-Owner
 
ba777-236's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: About a 40 minute drive from Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,586
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by KLM-MD11
Because I do not and will not purchase Dragon Wings or any of their derivatives.
Um... Okay. I guess it's your loss then.

But there's always Sonic Wings (IXO Models) their models are all metal, but the gears really suck.
ba777-236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by ba777-236
Um... Okay. I guess it's your loss then.

But there's always Sonic Wings (IXO Models) their models are all metal, but the gears really suck.
It is my loss, but I have a personal reason for it so I accept it. As for IXO, no thank you.

Does anyone know the situation with the orignal Gemini Jets? Were they unliscenced?
KLM-MD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 01:08 AM   #7 (permalink)
400SH Co-Owner
 
ba777-236's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: About a 40 minute drive from Toronto, Canada
Posts: 5,586
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by KLM-MD11
Does anyone know the situation with the orignal Gemini Jets? Were they unliscenced?
No. I don't think so. They had VA's license but then they got the license for British Airways too so that kinda pis*ed off Virgin. They then gave their license to DW.

Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what's your personal reason for not buying DW models?
ba777-236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 06:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 188
Default

no more die cast virgins, i wanna see real 1:1 scale virgins instead!!! Gemini, please make my wish come true!
ansett_ain't_dead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 09:32 AM   #9 (permalink)
Jim McDonald
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Red face I'd like to respond to this question....

Quote:
Originally posted by ba777-236
......Btw, if you don't mind me asking, what's your personal reason for not buying DW models?
The reason I prefer NOT to buy them is that first they do not get the colors correct. I give you the Southwest Airlines as the BEST example. Even HERPA gets it right over Dragon Wings. Herpa, Aeroclassics and Gemini do a very good job on the paint and it looks smooth bright and finished. Dragon Wings for the most part look dull and have a cheap look to them.

Second, the friggen wheels fall off all the time. IN additon, the little rubber parts keep getting lost. There was a time you could write to Dragon and get replacements, I guess the extremely high volume of mail has forced them to stop doing this as I have been waiting for a response for over two months.

Third, their models are 65% plastic. There are some of us, myeself included, who prefer an ALL diescast model to one that is significantly plastic. The only metal part on a Dragon Wing is the fueselage.

Last, but never least, DW is a BIG friggen company who does toys and doesn't give a crap about what the collector wants. Aero Classics and Gemini are actually run by people who are avid collectors and didn't get in the business JUST to make a buck.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 11:06 AM   #10 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 37
Default

kindda off the topic a bit but the only thing that i would like to complain about the virgin's by dw's is the virgin lady on the body... its too "pixeled" and with the a346, there is no "4 engines for long haul" and "mine is bigger than yours" thing printed.... i would want those printed on my model, but besides that, i think the models are good.... definetly worth it, they actually are my favorites among all my collection... =)

just my opinion...

-omar
omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 11:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 335
Default Re: I'd like to respond to this question....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim McDonald
The reason I prefer NOT to buy them is that first they do not get the colors correct. I give you the Southwest Airlines as the BEST example. Even HERPA gets it right over Dragon Wings. Herpa, Aeroclassics and Gemini do a very good job on the paint and it looks smooth bright and finished. Dragon Wings for the most part look dull and have a cheap look to them.

Second, the friggen wheels fall off all the time. IN additon, the little rubber parts keep getting lost. There was a time you could write to Dragon and get replacements, I guess the extremely high volume of mail has forced them to stop doing this as I have been waiting for a response for over two months.

Third, their models are 65% plastic. There are some of us, myeself included, who prefer an ALL diescast model to one that is significantly plastic. The only metal part on a Dragon Wing is the fueselage.

Last, but never least, DW is a BIG friggen company who does toys and doesn't give a crap about what the collector wants. Aero Classics and Gemini are actually run by people who are avid collectors and didn't get in the business JUST to make a buck.
Well there it is in a nutshell. I was able to tolerate the plastic and the falling landing gears until a particular incidident in which my mother accidentally bumped into my table and my Alitalia MD-11 went flying. I was left with a fuselage with no wings, no tail, no horizontal stabilizers, and no landing gear. Basically, a metal bar. The Alitala MD-11 was my abosulte favorite model in my collection and that incident was just to painful. I vowed never to buy dragon wings again.
KLM-MD11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 03:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,092
Default Re: I'd like to respond to this question....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim McDonald
The reason I prefer NOT to buy them is that first they do not get the colors correct. I give you the Southwest Airlines as the BEST example. Even HERPA gets it right over Dragon Wings. Herpa, Aeroclassics and Gemini do a very good job on the paint and it looks smooth bright and finished. Dragon Wings for the most part look dull and have a cheap look to them.

Second, the friggen wheels fall off all the time. IN additon, the little rubber parts keep getting lost. There was a time you could write to Dragon and get replacements, I guess the extremely high volume of mail has forced them to stop doing this as I have been waiting for a response for over two months.
First we are talking about Virgin Atlantic models and NOT Southwest Airlines models. The Virgin Atlantic models DW made have excellent colors.

Second I have been collecting DW models for 2 years now and I have NEVER lost any parts (and no parts have ever came off). And if the landing gears come off (like on there older models. With newer models I have never had a problem with the gears coming off) I just use alittle white glue and the landing gears stay on good after that.

Last edited by Saturn_29; 12-29-2002 at 03:21 PM.
Saturn_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 05:58 PM   #13 (permalink)
Jim McDonald
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Re: I'd like to respond to this question....

Quote:
Originally posted by Saturn_29
First we are talking about Virgin Atlantic models and NOT Southwest Airlines models. The Virgin Atlantic models DW made have excellent colors.

Second I have been collecting DW models for 2 years now and I have NEVER lost any parts (and no parts have ever came off). And if the landing gears come off (like on there older models. With newer models I have never had a problem with the gears coming off) I just use alittle white glue and the landing gears stay on good after that.
Well aren't you just so special.

I am sorry, your point was totally lost on me. Oh, that's right, you don't have a point.
  Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 06:13 PM   #14 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,092
Default Re: Re: Re: I'd like to respond to this question....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim McDonald
Well aren't you just so special.

I am sorry, your point was totally lost on me. Oh, that's right, you don't have a point.
My point is that it don't matter if the colors on the Southwest Airlines planes (or any other plane) Dragon Wings made are off or not. The colors of the Virgin Atlantic planes are very accurate and crisp.
Saturn_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2002, 09:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
^~.. Maximum R & B ..~^
 
ANTHONY F DUVA JR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Land of a thousand dances
Posts: 3,123
Default Re: Re: I'd like to respond to this question....

Quote:
Originally posted by KLM-MD11
The Alitalia MD-11 was my absolute favorite model in my collection and that incident was just to painful. I vowed never to buy dragon wings again.
Sorry to hear about your little crash , but you do have good taste in airlines !
__________________


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FLY DUVA AIR's LUXURIOUS, DOUBLE-DECK
BOEING "STRATO" CLIPPER !
ANTHONY F DUVA JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2002, 07:36 AM   #16 (permalink)
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 4,587
Default

Well, since GJ has releases BA models its unlikely VS will grant GJ the licence to do their models .
9V-SVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:32 AM.

Latest Threads
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.