Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:400 Scale Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-27-2015, 04:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,910
Default Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

Continental Airlines was a mid-sized US trunk carrier with hubs in Houston and Denver, before Deregulation in 1978. After Deregulation, Continental's history turned turbulent for 15 years under the ownership of Frank Lorenzo, complete with labor issues, the acquistion of another trunk carrier (Eastern), a big bankrupt startup (People Express, which had bought Frontier) and had its own small startup (New York Air).

During the late 80's consolidation, "Texas Air Corporation" folded all of these entities into Continental, with its beautiful Saul Bass-designed gold-and-red "meatball" scheme. Then, in the 1991, Continental introduced the blue-tail "globe" scheme it wore the rest of its existence, when it became a superbly-run and profitable carrier under CEO Gordon Bethune. Its legacy lives on in its employees and the paint scheme it bequeathed in 2011 to today's consolidated United.

Continental operated the Boeing 727 from the 1960's to the early 2000's. The DiMa, DAC, and Aeroclassics databases indicate that die-cast model makers have made many of Continental's 727's. However, three Continental 727's stand out to me as being suitable for Aeroclassics to make.

1) The last version of the Bass "red meatball" scheme included larger titles. It was painted onto former People Express aircraft. Aeroclassics has done the 737-200 and 737-300 in this scheme. I think a 727-200 would be a good addition.





No one has done this exact scheme. Gemini did the small-titles early 1980's red-meatball version. But their 727's aren't the same quality as Aeroclassics, and it isn't the same scheme.

2) The Continental blue-globe scheme is beautiful on the 727-200. Only Dragon Wings has done this aircraft, but they made the blue too light. Also, their 727's are not nearly of Aeroclassics' overall quality. Finally, Aeroclassics has done an excellent job with the Continental / Continited blue-globe scheme on other models, and no doubt they'd do a great job on the 727-200.





3) Finally, the People Express / Continental hybrid colors that PE aircraft wore after the acquisition, but before repainting into Bass colors. I think this model has been done as a custom model, but not as a regular-run model. I never run into it on E-Bay or at merchants. Aeroclassics has done numerous hybrid schemes, and this one would be a good addition.







What do you all think?

Jim
__________________
The greatest need in 1:400: Reissues of Major Passenger-Carrier 747 Classics: -100/200, -300, and SP, of NG / Aeroclassics / Big Bird Mk. 1 quality. Examples: American; United Blue-Star, Bass; TWA double globe, double stripe; Pan Am delivery; British Airways Negus, Landor; KLM 70's-80's blue top; Air France 70's-80's; Lufthansa 70's-80's; Aer Lingus delivery; Sabena 80's circle-s; Japan Air Lines 70's-80s; All Nippon 70's; and Qantas 70's-80's.
BWI-ROCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-27-2015, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Threeve
 
dylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: KSLC
Posts: 4,225
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's



A custom I did back in 2008 using the GJ PE727 as a donor, $8.00 in decals, and a twelver of natty light from a convenience store.

Last edited by dylan; 08-27-2015 at 05:03 PM.
dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,910
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

This must be the custom one I've seen--I've probably seen you post this photo before. That's a great piece of handiwork. I don't have the time or skill with paints / solvents to do my own custom models, but I salute your excellent work!

Jim
__________________
The greatest need in 1:400: Reissues of Major Passenger-Carrier 747 Classics: -100/200, -300, and SP, of NG / Aeroclassics / Big Bird Mk. 1 quality. Examples: American; United Blue-Star, Bass; TWA double globe, double stripe; Pan Am delivery; British Airways Negus, Landor; KLM 70's-80's blue top; Air France 70's-80's; Lufthansa 70's-80's; Aer Lingus delivery; Sabena 80's circle-s; Japan Air Lines 70's-80s; All Nippon 70's; and Qantas 70's-80's.

Last edited by BWI-ROCman; 08-27-2015 at 08:26 PM.
BWI-ROCman is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 08-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #4 (permalink)
Sukhoi Collector
 
plane737's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Winchester
Age: 48
Posts: 2,261
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post


, $8.00 in decals, and a twelver of natty light from a convenience store.
Love it! I've had alot of fun reading your posts throughout my 5 years on here! Even s**t like this puts a smile on my face! Don't ever change. Nice conversion btw. Even 5.5% alcohol by volume did not keep you from applying the decals on straight!
plane737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 825
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

Beautiful custom! I'm in for 2 of these (no blue globe colors for me).
Republic DC-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Setting The Pace
 
fazeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Age: 62
Posts: 4,673
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWI-ROCman View Post
Continental Airlines was a mid-sized US trunk carrier with hubs in Houston and Denver, before Deregulation in 1978. After Deregulation, Continental's history turned turbulent for 15 years under the ownership of Frank Lorenzo, complete with labor issues, the acquistion of another trunk carrier (Eastern), a big bankrupt startup (People Express, which had bought Frontier) and had its own small startup (New York Air).

During the late 80's consolidation, "Texas Air Corporation" folded all of these entities into Continental, with its beautiful Saul Bass-designed gold-and-red "meatball" scheme. Then, in the 1991, Continental introduced the blue-tail "globe" scheme it wore the rest of its existence, when it became a superbly-run and profitable carrier under CEO Gordon Bethune. Its legacy lives on in its employees and the paint scheme it bequeathed in 2011 to today's consolidated United.

Continental operated the Boeing 727 from the 1960's to the early 2000's. The DiMa, DAC, and Aeroclassics databases indicate that die-cast model makers have made many of Continental's 727's. However, three Continental 727's stand out to me as being suitable for Aeroclassics to make.

1) The last version of the Bass "red meatball" scheme included larger titles. It was painted onto former People Express aircraft. Aeroclassics has done the 737-200 and 737-300 in this scheme. I think a 727-200 would be a good addition.

No one has done this exact scheme. Gemini did the small-titles early 1980's red-meatball version. But their 727's aren't the same quality as Aeroclassics, and it isn't the same scheme.

2) The Continental blue-globe scheme is beautiful on the 727-200. Only Dragon Wings has done this aircraft, but they made the blue too light. Also, their 727's are not nearly of Aeroclassics' overall quality. Finally, Aeroclassics has done an excellent job with the Continental / Continited blue-globe scheme on other models, and no doubt they'd do a great job on the 727-200.

3) Finally, the People Express / Continental hybrid colors that PE aircraft wore after the acquisition, but before repainting into Bass colors. I think this model has been done as a custom model, but not as a regular-run model. I never run into it on E-Bay or at merchants. Aeroclassics has done numerous hybrid schemes, and this one would be a good addition.

What do you all think?

Jim
Jim,

I would have kept rolling my meatball collection from black to red if it wasn't for Lorenzo. The only reason I have a few reds is because of twin packs. Nonetheless, because Continental had long ago rationalized their fleet to DC-10s and 727s, the three you posted are no doubt very important to the airline's history as well as to collectors.

Speaking of rationalizing the irrational, none of us could understand why the black meatball 727 wasn't released until just last year. Fairly mind blowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
A custom I did back in 2008 using the GJ PE727 as a donor, $8.00 in decals, and a twelver of natty light from a convenience store.
Dylan,

As with Jim, I have no patience for custom work like the beauty you made. And like plane737 mentioned, it's always been a blast to read your posts over the years.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve
fazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
BPanio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Guelph
Posts: 771
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

Cargojet, Kelowna Flightcraft and Royal Airlines are what I'd love to see AC do
BPanio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 11:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Junkjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

Regarding the CO 727's, I agree! This has been a big omission. especially considering CO was one of the largest 727 operators. Throw is some CO MD80's too. (Another glaring omission!!)
Thanks
Junkjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 12:16 AM   #9 (permalink)
Flagship Liberty
 
Yellow_Ribbon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: SFO
Posts: 173
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

Very nice idea, especially the Peoplexpress.
__________________
Flagship Liberty, Freedom, and Independence.
In support of all who serve.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Yellow_Ribbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
Threeve
 
dylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: KSLC
Posts: 4,225
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

Quote:
Originally Posted by plane737 View Post
Love it! I've had alot of fun reading your posts throughout my 5 years on here! Even s**t like this puts a smile on my face! Don't ever change. Nice conversion btw. Even 5.5% alcohol by volume did not keep you from applying the decals on straight!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazeman View Post
Dylan,

As with Jim, I have no patience for custom work like the beauty you made. And like plane737 mentioned, it's always been a blast to read your posts over the years.
Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's-cheers.jpg
dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
Threeve
 
dylan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: KSLC
Posts: 4,225
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkjet View Post
Regarding the CO 727's, I agree! This has been a big omission. especially considering CO was one of the largest 727 operators. Throw is some CO MD80's too. (Another glaring omission!!)
Thanks
JetX did the red meatball as well as the rare black meatball (3 were known to exist in real life 1:1)on the Dragon Wings MD-80 mould!
dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:39 AM   #12 (permalink)
*
 
David Hingtgen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Iowa
Posts: 5,404
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

#1 especially is needed, as it's the "full" red-ball scheme as more commonly seen on the DC-9-30 and 737-300. Many 727's were only partial-repaint hybrids. GJ's release wasn't even a "typical" hybrid scheme but a rare variant.

More than just the logo and titles changed, the actual stripes are differently sized. The stripes were made smaller, vertically, which forced the registration to be removed from the stripes and placed below them. This is most obvious on a DC-9 IMHO, but can be seen on all the narrowbodies----just compare where the stripes are relative to the doors (especially overwing doors). You'll see that a "full" repaint red meatball scheme has thinner stripes than earlier black meatball ones.

Referencing "top of gold stripe vs cockpit eyebrow windows" also shows it well.
__________________
We need more TWA twin-stripes!

Last edited by David Hingtgen; 08-29-2015 at 03:42 AM.
David Hingtgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,910
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan View Post
JetX did the red meatball as well as the rare black meatball (3 were known to exist in real life 1:1)on the Dragon Wings MD-80 mould!
Beat me to it! This is another instance of, "I wish Aeroclassics did MD-80-series aircraft." There would be a wealth of terrific models Andrew could do, and I'd replace every one of my Jet-X or Dragon MD-80's with them.

Here's a photo of my Jet-X red-meatball MD-80-whatever. Their printing of the red on the tail is a bit dark, but otherwise it's a very good Jet-X model.

Jim

__________________
The greatest need in 1:400: Reissues of Major Passenger-Carrier 747 Classics: -100/200, -300, and SP, of NG / Aeroclassics / Big Bird Mk. 1 quality. Examples: American; United Blue-Star, Bass; TWA double globe, double stripe; Pan Am delivery; British Airways Negus, Landor; KLM 70's-80's blue top; Air France 70's-80's; Lufthansa 70's-80's; Aer Lingus delivery; Sabena 80's circle-s; Japan Air Lines 70's-80s; All Nippon 70's; and Qantas 70's-80's.
BWI-ROCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 01:34 PM   #14 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Washington
Posts: 1,910
Default Re: Request for Aeroclassics: Three Continental 727's

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hingtgen View Post
#1 especially is needed, as it's the "full" red-ball scheme as more commonly seen on the DC-9-30 and 737-300. Many 727's were only partial-repaint hybrids. GJ's release wasn't even a "typical" hybrid scheme but a rare variant.

More than just the logo and titles changed, the actual stripes are differently sized. The stripes were made smaller, vertically, which forced the registration to be removed from the stripes and placed below them. This is most obvious on a DC-9 IMHO, but can be seen on all the narrowbodies----just compare where the stripes are relative to the doors (especially overwing doors). You'll see that a "full" repaint red meatball scheme has thinner stripes than earlier black meatball ones.

Referencing "top of gold stripe vs cockpit eyebrow windows" also shows it well.
Thank you, David, for this additional detail. I wondered if the cheatline was a little different. Now I know I'm not crazy (for this reason, anyway ).

Jim
__________________
The greatest need in 1:400: Reissues of Major Passenger-Carrier 747 Classics: -100/200, -300, and SP, of NG / Aeroclassics / Big Bird Mk. 1 quality. Examples: American; United Blue-Star, Bass; TWA double globe, double stripe; Pan Am delivery; British Airways Negus, Landor; KLM 70's-80's blue top; Air France 70's-80's; Lufthansa 70's-80's; Aer Lingus delivery; Sabena 80's circle-s; Japan Air Lines 70's-80s; All Nippon 70's; and Qantas 70's-80's.
BWI-ROCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.

Latest Threads
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.