UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:400 Scale Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
P&W Wasp Major
 
doug seeley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bradenton, Florida
Posts: 2,011
Default UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

This airplane (and my AeroClassics 1/400 model) heads my list of favorites. Images both mine, and was there ever a more aesthetically pleasing machine? Not hardly. Keep 'em flying, Doug
Attached Thumbnails
UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii-united-dc-8-62tiff.jpg   UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii-p6087150c.jpg  

Last edited by doug seeley; 06-08-2013 at 06:40 PM.
doug seeley is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Ironclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Very nice Doug
I have a pretty good United collection but don`t have any AC 62s yet.
I`ll be looking for these now.
It`s good to see an interesting (sharing) post on here for a change.

Last edited by Ironclaw; 06-08-2013 at 05:37 PM.
Ironclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Former 400USSR Member
 
airport1-600's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
Posts: 424
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

I need that model. Looking good!
__________________
North Central CV-580 in 1:400 Count me in!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
airport1-600 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 06-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
P&W Wasp Major
 
doug seeley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bradenton, Florida
Posts: 2,011
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

I found this model at Just Plain Fun (after having sold my original one) two weeks ago. They often have out of stock stuff show up. Thanks, guys. Later, Doug
doug seeley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
Setting The Pace
 
fazeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Age: 61
Posts: 4,673
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

In 1969, this aircraft couldn't have come at a better time because United was going through some awful times. The airline was brutalized by the CAB over the long and agonizing Transpacific Route Case and as it turned out, United was the biggest loser. The CAB not only refused to award United with South Pacific routes, they also allowed five other airlines to begin service to Hawaii.

United had to witness the devastation of their highly coveted Hawaii routes from over capacity by newly awarded airlines and the eventual arrival of 747s. This in turn saw United's $19 million profit in 1969 become a $17 million loss by 1970. As the -62 performed beautifully with direct flights to Hawaii from ORD, JFK, DTW and BWI, United began a management change that would see their fortunes rise as they began to openly press for deregulation.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve

Last edited by fazeman; 06-09-2013 at 02:55 AM.
fazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #6 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
thamesradar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: At work
Posts: 1,939
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

It's a beautiful aircraft, a great model and thank you for sharing!
thamesradar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 933
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
Very nice Doug
I have a pretty good United collection but don`t have any AC 62s yet.
I`ll be looking for these now.
It`s good to see an interesting (sharing) post on here for a change.

It is not a horribly rare model, you have to monitor ebay constantly (including ebay.co.uk and ebay.ca) and within year you must be able to collect all DC-8-6X in all 6 United liveries it was released. And with a little more time you will as well have a United Caravelle.
The 737-200 Mainliner by SMA appears to be the only tough one, the rest reappear on ebay with regular frequencies (I "fish" on ebay alot... it's the only way to catch a fish you want)

Last edited by alexzar14; 06-09-2013 at 10:37 AM.
alexzar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Ironclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzar14 View Post
It is not a horribly rare model, you have to monitor ebay constantly (including ebay.co.uk and ebay.ca) and within year you must be able to collect all DC-8-6X in all 6 United liveries it was released. And with a little more time you will as well have a United Caravelle.
The 737-200 Mainliner by SMA appears to be the only tough one, the rest reappear on ebay with regular frequencies (I "fish" on ebay alot... it's the only way to catch a fish you want)
Gotcha, I`ll get there eventually

I got lucky recently at a collection sale and got this pup.



I just love that Mainliner livery the most.
__________________
Ron
My photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ironclaw; 06-09-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Ironclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
P&W Wasp Major
 
doug seeley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bradenton, Florida
Posts: 2,011
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Ron - I agree with your choice of the Mainliner livery. I owned the one of the SMAC 737-200 Mainliners, and let it go when I sold my 20 model 1/400 UA collection. I have reacquired the DC-8-61 and -62 Mainliners, but I'm gun shy when it comes to SMAC 737s. My Mainliner 732 was showing signs of zinc rot torque and torsion, with a hairline crack extending well back from the nose, and I just suffered a rotten port main landing gear on a beautiful PanAm billboard SMAC 732, so I'm done with them. The AeroClassics Caravelle Mainliner is really nice, too. Great photos by the way, Later, Doug

Last edited by doug seeley; 06-09-2013 at 04:20 PM.
doug seeley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
P&W Wasp Major
 
doug seeley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bradenton, Florida
Posts: 2,011
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Appreciate Steve's historical background on the UA DC-8-62. He and Richard Stretton bring these models to life. DA.C: 'The reports of my death are highly exaggerated'. Keep 'em flying, Doug
doug seeley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Ironclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug seeley View Post
Ron - I agree with your choice of the Mainliner livery. I owned the one of the SMAC 737-200 Mainliners, and let it go when I sold my 20 model 1/400 UA collection. I have reacquired the DC-8-61 and -62 Mainliners, but I'm gun shy when it comes to SMAC 737s. My Mainliner 732 was showing signs of zinc rot torque and torsion, with a hairline crack extending well back from the nose, and I just suffered a rotten port main landing gear on a beautiful PanAm billboard SMAC 732, so I'm done with them. The AeroClassics Caravelle Mainliner is really nice, too. Great photos by the way, Later, Doug
Good to know Doug and thanks
__________________
Ron
My photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ironclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Ironclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug seeley View Post
Appreciate Steve's historical background on the UA DC-8-62. He and Richard Stretton bring these models to life. DA.C: 'The reports of my death are highly exaggerated'. Keep 'em flying, Doug
Yep
I liked that myself

Thanks guys
__________________
Ron
My photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ironclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 933
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

My babies (the 737 has succumbed to zinc cancer, actually has been purchased in this state for $20 or 25)...

Last edited by alexzar14; 01-09-2014 at 12:41 PM.
alexzar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 933
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

And than there is this one (a sample? I see it being sold second time, I hope this is not the last one) ->
Aeroclassics HC 046A United DC 8 54F Mainliner CLRS Jet Freighter N8047U 1 400 | eBay
alexzar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #15 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Ironclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzar14 View Post
And than there is this one (a sample? I see it being sold second time, I hope this is not the last one) ->
Aeroclassics HC 046A United DC 8 54F Mainliner CLRS Jet Freighter N8047U 1 400 | eBay
That`s a Hangar club model.
If you belong to 400SH they may still have some to spare maybe.
I got both this one and the stars/bars freighters and they are nice
For what that guy is asking it is worth giving it a shot.

Here`s the link if you have an account at 400Scale Hanger
http://www.400scalehangar.net/forums...ad.php?t=58869
__________________
Ron
My photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Ironclaw; 06-09-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Ironclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Junkjet's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug seeley View Post
Ron - I agree with your choice of the Mainliner livery. I owned the one of the SMAC 737-200 Mainliners, and let it go when I sold my 20 model 1/400 UA collection. I have reacquired the DC-8-61 and -62 Mainliners, but I'm gun shy when it comes to SMAC 737s. My Mainliner 732 was showing signs of zinc rot torque and torsion, with a hairline crack extending well back from the nose, and I just suffered a rotten port main landing gear on a beautiful PanAm billboard SMAC 732, so I'm done with them. The AeroClassics Caravelle Mainliner is really nice, too. Great photos by the way, Later, Doug
I really wish one of the decent manufactures would re-do the old SMA 737's. The few that I have are all trashed. (Zink rot). A mainliner DC-10 would be awesome too!
Junkjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 933
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkjet View Post
I really wish one of the decent manufactures would re-do the old SMA 737's. The few that I have are all trashed. (Zink rot). A mainliner DC-10 would be awesome too!
Mainliner brings associations with class/elite travel of pre-mass transportation times (romantic late 50s to 60s, the way I see/interpret it) and for this reason I avoid getting a 747 in Mainliner livery, and the DC-10 doesn't fit in there either (in my useless opinion )
The DC-10, a disco-age machine is best in the disco-livery that is the Friendship 70s, and there is a very hot beautiful model of it made by Dragon. Yes Dragon is a low end and I always avoid it with few exceptions but the Dragon Friendship DC-10 is really something!
alexzar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 01:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 933
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
That`s a Hangar club model.
If you belong to 400SH they may still have some to spare maybe.
I got both this one and the stars/bars freighters and they are nice
For what that guy is asking it is worth giving it a shot.

Here`s the link if you have an account at 400Scale Hanger
400 Scale Hangar
Do they release models on systematic basis or is it something spontaneous?
alexzar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Ironclaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Renton WA
Posts: 1,034
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexzar14 View Post
Do they release models on systematic basis or is it something spontaneous?
Normally you have to be a member of the club to get these but they had some extra for the United 8s
They release a club model about three times a year or so.
__________________
Ron
My photos

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ironclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:43 PM   #20 (permalink)
Discerning Collector
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC
Posts: 358
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Disco-Queen DC-10 will...rock 4ever!
TED ATH 33R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 933
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironclaw View Post
Normally you have to be a member of the club to get these but they had some extra for the United 8s
They release a club model about three times a year or so.
I might have to join because I really love these things.
I wonder what they have released thus far... one I heard of (and own) is AA white 747-123 that AA took from PanAm, I hope I will find a full catalog of past releases on their website.
alexzar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Age: 56
Posts: 561
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

46 Hangar Club releases have been made so far. #46 actually were two models [UA Freighter DC-8-50's]. Most models are hybrid schemes, building upon other releases.
Model #47 is rumoured to be a C-46 model. But you are never sure until the cat is really out of the box...

Memberships are limited. But at certain times, the Club has vacancies and new members can join.
Some Club releases are mandatory purchases. Other releases can be bought if you feel like.
Below is the complete list of releases. I have not regretted a single Club release so far.

400 Scale Hangar - Release List

Jan
diecast1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
B2707300SST's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beautiful Woodside LGA short finals
Posts: 2,977
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Thanks for the update Doug. I agree the DC-8-62 Mainliner is a beautiful machine, and tough to surpass in design and ability. This was the ultimate long range aircraft to fly on back then! You're lucky to have this one. I went for the Friendship release.
__________________
Herb- Art-ist, not a borrow-ist!
B2707300SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 03:07 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 933
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by diecast1964 View Post
46 Hangar Club releases have been made so far. #46 actually were two models [UA Freighter DC-8-50's]. Most models are hybrid schemes, building upon other releases.
Model #47 is rumoured to be a C-46 model. But you are never sure until the cat is really out of the box...

Memberships are limited. But at certain times, the Club has vacancies and new members can join.
Some Club releases are mandatory purchases. Other releases can be bought if you feel like.
Below is the complete list of releases. I have not regretted a single Club release so far.

400 Scale Hangar - Release List

Jan

Thank you very much for the info Jan.
This month AC releases more blue-tail Lufthansa 707s and a PA Commando, I can't delay the purchase of these, so I had to pass on the United freighters... I hope to catch it next time (pretty certain it will circulate on ebay in upcoming years...)
alexzar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #25 (permalink)
 
Todd Michaels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 1,863
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

aleczar14, you have a very impressive collection -- the kind I'd spend hours admiring. I love all of the classic U.S. airliners you have. Would like to see more pics.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Todd Michaels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 12:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 933
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Michaels View Post
aleczar14, you have a very impressive collection -- the kind I'd spend hours admiring. I love all of the classic U.S. airliners you have. Would like to see more pics.
Well thank you )
I am in the process of building a new display cabinet where all models should see a better organization on shelves, I'll sure post some pics then.
alexzar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Age: 56
Posts: 561
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

For those of you interested in the Hangar Club, vacancies have actually been announced today. There is a thread now on at the 400 Hangar Forum. So you can join in now if you feel like!

Jan
diecast1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
B2707300SST's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beautiful Woodside LGA short finals
Posts: 2,977
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazeman View Post
In 1969, this aircraft couldn't have come at a better time because United was going through some awful times. The airline was brutalized by the CAB over the long and agonizing Transpacific Route Case and as it turned out, United was the biggest loser. The CAB not only refused to award United with South Pacific routes, they also allowed five other airlines to begin service to Hawaii.

United had to witness the devastation of their highly coveted Hawaii routes from over capacity by newly awarded airlines and the eventual arrival of 747s. This in turn saw United's $19 million profit in 1969 become a $17 million loss by 1970. As the -62 performed beautifully with direct flights to Hawaii from ORD, JFK, DTW and BWI, United began a management change that would see their fortunes rise as they began to openly press for deregulation.
Dylan,
Do you remember the last year the DC-8-62 flew UAL flights from JFK to Hawaii and the final scheme?
I feel a classic 8-62 scheme, as the model posted by Doug, starting to appear on my to-do list!
Best to all,
Herb
__________________
Herb- Art-ist, not a borrow-ist!
B2707300SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 10:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
Setting The Pace
 
fazeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Age: 61
Posts: 4,673
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2707300SST View Post
Dylan,
Do you remember the last year the DC-8-62 flew UAL flights from JFK to Hawaii and the final scheme?
I feel a classic 8-62 scheme, as the model posted by Doug, starting to appear on my to-do list!
Best to all,
Herb
Probably '75 or '76 when ORD-HNL became the only direct route east of the Mississippi River. Still, you would need every timetable from the '70s and possibly the early '80s to confirm the last year it flew such a thin route like JFK-HNL let alone figure the final scheme. When the DC-10s were grounded in '79, United pressed their remaining -62s to help service the huge capacity gap left by that wide-body. And even then, it would be hard to tell because timetables were already printed for DC-10 service. Hey, I gave it a shot Herb.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve
fazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:01 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 933
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazeman View Post
Hey, I gave it a shot Herb.
no matter how accurate, it is a joy reading. It is ok for the older guys just write (whatever they want about), write, write, and write. Worth $40-60 a month an access to the forum with grandpas talking
alexzar14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:18 AM   #31 (permalink)
P&W Wasp Major
 
doug seeley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bradenton, Florida
Posts: 2,011
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

alexzar14: "It is ok for the older guys just write (whatever they want about), write, write, and write."

OK, then - while the Fazeman is off chasing trains in Arizona, my wife and I soon leave for three months in Germany - gotta get out while the gettin's good... Flying US Airways, A330 over, B767 back. Nothing exotic in terms of equipment, but what I like about both of these is the two seat row next to the window - just a tad of privacy and beats five-across anytime. DA.C might be termed an intergenerational forum... Keep 'em flying, Doug
doug seeley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
tonycutrella's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Age: 57
Posts: 345
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2707300SST View Post
Do you remember the last year the DC-8-62 flew UAL flights from JFK to Hawaii and the final scheme?
Herb
My two cents:
  • The summer 1977 UA timetable has two direct services between JFK and HNL, one via ORD and the other via LAX, both with 747 equipment.
  • If flights ended shortly before then, the final scheme should have been the Saul Bass livery that UA began to adopt after 1973. I mean the original one with small titles and the red cheatline across the windows.

Last edited by tonycutrella; 06-29-2013 at 03:59 AM.
tonycutrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #33 (permalink)
P&W Wasp Major
 
doug seeley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bradenton, Florida
Posts: 2,011
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

alexzar14: " It is ok for the older guys just write (whatever they want about), write, write, and write." 24 of us are up helping rehab homes in the Rockaway Beach area in Queens after hurricane Sandy eight months ago. We are right next to JFK airport, and planes are landing/taking off all day while we're working. A veritable symphony, and I'm gaining the ability to recognize what planes are overhead by their engine tone. Is life great or what? Chow, Doug
doug seeley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:10 AM   #34 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
B2707300SST's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beautiful Woodside LGA short finals
Posts: 2,977
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazeman View Post
Probably '75 or '76 when ORD-HNL became the only direct route east of the Mississippi River. Still, you would need every timetable from the '70s and possibly the early '80s to confirm the last year it flew such a thin route like JFK-HNL let alone figure the final scheme. When the DC-10s were grounded in '79, United pressed their remaining -62s to help service the huge capacity gap left by that wide-body. And even then, it would be hard to tell because timetables were already printed for DC-10 service. Hey, I gave it a shot Herb.
Thanks Steve,- (correction, not perfection)
Did some checking online and see that '79 was the last year for a schedule -62 flying to HI as you mention due to the DC-10 hiccups...remember those days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonycutrella View Post
My two cents:[LIST
[*]The summer 1977 UA timetable has two direct services between JFK and HNL, one via ORD and the other via LAX, both with 747 equipment.[*]If flights ended shortly before then, the final scheme should have been the Saul Bass livery that UA began to adopt after 1973. I mean the original one with small titles and the red cheatline across the windows.[/LIST]
Tony, Thanks as well for the scheme info. I was thinking Friendship with the wide red stripes, but it was late late 79, so Bass would be most likely be the final scheme. Still looking about. Meanwhle, Ive attached a scan from George W. Cearly Jr. (autographed!), book on UAL.- an excellent The scheme depicted is the original Mainliner scheme asreference for early UAL up to wide-bodies. There's a nice early Mainliner -62 pic as well. Enjoy.

Nice subject. Hard to believe the DC-8 has become an exotic!
__________________
Herb- Art-ist, not a borrow-ist!

Last edited by B2707300SST; 07-06-2013 at 08:51 AM.
B2707300SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 06:55 PM   #35 (permalink)
Setting The Pace
 
fazeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, Va.
Age: 61
Posts: 4,673
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by B2707300SST View Post
Thanks Dylan,
Did some checking online and see that '79 was the last year for a schedule -62 flying to HI as you mention due to the DC-10 hiccups...remember those days?
Herb, surely you know my name is Steve. But whatever you say, please don't call me surely.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Steve
fazeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #36 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
B2707300SST's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Beautiful Woodside LGA short finals
Posts: 2,977
Default Re: UA DC-8-62 Long Range to Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazeman View Post
Herb, surely you know my name is Steve. But whatever you say, please don't call me surely.
Apologies Steve- it's the heat and the humidity
__________________
Herb- Art-ist, not a borrow-ist!
B2707300SST is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:42 PM.

Latest Threads
- by Benny79
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.