Buying models without PayPal - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:200 Scale Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #1 (permalink)
long time collector
 
Charlie Alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: san diego
Posts: 5,654
Default Buying models without PayPal

Looking for opinions. Is there a safe way to buy airplane models from members on this forum without using PayPal. I think I already know the answer, but there may be ways to do that I haven't thought of.

Part 2. Has anyone got burned by another member of this forum buying this way.
Thanks
Chris
Charlie Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
KLM4me's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Palm Pings
Posts: 4,750
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

Western Union, and yes, I've been burned.
KLM4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #3 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Age: 40
Posts: 1,553
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

Might not be my business but why not use paypal? It's simple and instant.
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 10-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 353
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

The reason I don't use paypal is because I won't put my financial info on my computer for any reason. My understanding is that a paypal acct must be linked to a bank or cc acct and I will not risk that info on the internet.
__________________
I love everthing that flies, except flies.
clearedfor... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
SuperKungFu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,078
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

PayPal is the easiest and fastest way.

I hate it when people want to be sent money orders, checks (which can bounce)....etc. Takes too long and you gotta mail it...run to the bank, post office...etc.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SuperKungFu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Los Angeles,CA
Age: 29
Posts: 531
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM4me View Post
yes, I've been burned.
That just makes me sad.
B747forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Ryanairflyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Morristown, NJ
Posts: 1,006
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearedfor... View Post
The reason I don't use paypal is because I won't put my financial info on my computer for any reason. My understanding is that a paypal acct must be linked to a bank or cc acct and I will not risk that info on the internet.
Not wanting to ruin your point or anything (As I do understand the logic) but I'd be surprised if your bank isn't already storing that on a server somewhere thats just as accessible as Paypals servers, They have excellent security to protect your details, any other method apart from physically going to collect and handing over cash carry a greater risk I would say
__________________
More Southwest State Flag Liveries!
Ryanairflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 353
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanairflyer View Post
Not wanting to ruin your point or anything (As I do understand the logic) but I'd be surprised if your bank isn't already storing that on a server somewhere thats just as accessible as Paypals servers, They have excellent security to protect your details, any other method apart from physically going to collect and handing over cash carry a greater risk I would say
It's not the banks computer security that worries me as much as the insecurity of my own computer. I've heard too many horror stories about people who thought their computers were safe, but ultimately were not.
__________________
I love everthing that flies, except flies.
clearedfor... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
long time collector
 
Charlie Alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: san diego
Posts: 5,654
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearedfor... View Post
It's not the banks computer security that worries me as much as the insecurity of my own computer. I've heard too many horror stories about people who thought their computers were safe, but ultimately were not.
I share your concerns about linking my bank account, but I think a credit card is a little different. This way, you have 2 sets of protections for purchases.

If you have a good anti-virus and use a credit card, you should be ok. PayPal offers a lot of insurance that the seller AND buyer do what they say they are going to do. Your credit card should also come with additional anti-fraud protection to protect you from unauthorized use.

From one who just started using PayPal a year or two ago, I can appreciate your concerns, but I have had no problems with PayPal. They really helped when I paid for a model, and the seller didn't ship. It turned out just fine.
Chris

Last edited by Charlie Alpha; 10-09-2011 at 03:26 PM.
Charlie Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 353
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Alpha 757 View Post
I share your concerns about linking my bank account, but I think a credit card is a little different. This way, you have 2 sets of protections for purchases.

If you have a good anti-virus and use a credit card, you should be ok. PayPal offers a lot of insurance that the seller AND buyer do what they say they are going to do. Your credit card should also come with additional anti-fraud protection to protect you from unauthorized use.

From one who just started using PayPal a year or two ago, I can appreciate your concerns, but I have had no problems with PayPal. They really helped when I paid for a model, and the seller didn't ship. It turned out just fine.
Chris
I don't have a credit card, only a debit card. As far as anti-virus software goes they are pretty much always playing catchup. As I live on a small and fixed income I just cannot take the chance of putting my bank acct at risk.
__________________
I love everthing that flies, except flies.
clearedfor... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
Returning from exile!!
 
Tomasz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 143
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Alpha 757 View Post
Looking for opinions. Is there a safe way to buy airplane models from members on this forum without using PayPal. I think I already know the answer, but there may be ways to do that I haven't thought of.

Part 2. Has anyone got burned by another member of this forum buying this way.
Thanks
Chris
I used Paypal but I still got burned by a member on this forum for selling me zinc rot models. The guy got the models back by now and I know I won't get a refund. Best thing is to buy from a reputable retailer.
Tomasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Age: 40
Posts: 1,553
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

As others have said I understand your logic behind not wanting to put your info on the computer, but IMO you just cant live life worrying about everything. I could not imagine living my daily life without using my computer for some sort of bank transaction. I use my computer to pay everything from my mortgage and car payments, to credit cards, water bill, cable, phones, student loans, my paychecks are automatically debited to my accounts, you name it, I do it on the computer. I couldnt imagine having to do everything manually it would be like a full time job just keeping up with bills and everything else lol. Anyway, my point is sometimes you just have to take some risk...there is risk in everything we do today thats just a simple fact of life.

My recommendation if your that worried about it then open some sort of seperate bank account that you can tie into just bill paying. Only use that account for doing online work and say if for some reason your computer and account got hacked its no big deal. It would be a small loss if any at all. Go with paypal its the best way and its safe and secure.

James
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #13 (permalink)
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,726
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanairflyer View Post
Not wanting to ruin your point or anything (As I do understand the logic) but I'd be surprised if your bank isn't already storing that on a server somewhere thats just as accessible as Paypals servers, They have excellent security to protect your details,
Given the large number of recent incidents where customer data have been stolen from various companies, I wouldn't be so sanguine. So it is better to limit how many companies have your sensitive personal data, but it would be overly inconvenient to eliminate them completely - you've got to have bank accounts, credit cards, etc.

If somebody hacks into paypal and then performs identity theft, well, that's of course horrible, but I think the safety provided by paypal well outweighs that risk.

If somebody is not accepting paypal, I simply don't do business with that person.
AnonCollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Design with Elegance.
 
Upkeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,668
Wink Re: Buying models without PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearedfor... View Post
The reason I don't use paypal is because I won't put my financial info on my computer for any reason. My understanding is that a paypal acct must be linked to a bank or cc acct and I will not risk that info on the internet.
I won't have anything to do with PayPal for exactly that reason. Those who suggest that maybe I'm being paranoid should look into PayPal's security breaches. These have been going off and on for years now. Not only does one risk massive screw arounds with ones bank accounts/credit cards, etc, but there can be a risk of identity theft as well. Try sorting through THAT one.

Anyhow, here in Canada our banks can provide bank-to-bank online transfers that are MUCH more secure. I believe that extends to international transactions, but I'd have to check.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Élégance en vol . . . Airfrance-style!
Upkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:04 PM   #15 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Fernandina Beach, FL
Age: 40
Posts: 1,553
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

^^^ well very well then I can respect that decision however, unfortunately in doing that you are greatly reducing your ability to do business online. I love to buy and sell on ebay, and I also love buying and selling on my car forums (I am into cars as well), and ofcourse these forums. If it werent for paypal you can pretty much kiss every transaction I have ever done away. No one is gonna want to take a money order lol.
JTS97Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:23 PM   #16 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
Garuda747400's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 4,170
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

Only robbery i have ever seen from paypal is paypal peforming the robbery thereselfs.

You could pay cash to a friend and get them to then pay the transaction from there paypal account
__________________
WANTED

Aeroclassics Garuda Indonesia F28
Garuda747400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 05:52 PM   #17 (permalink)
Gaming ,collecting addict
 
Aviationjumper!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Why do you need to know?
Posts: 391
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

In't bank transfer sure works very well. Just tell the bank how much you want to send and they will send it for you.
__________________
Aeroclassics , Phoenix , Customised models colector
Aviationjumper! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:06 PM   #18 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
CathayPacific's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hong Kong - Vancouver
Posts: 1,460
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

I use PayPal only for online purchases.
CathayPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:10 PM   #19 (permalink)
Design with Elegance.
 
Upkeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto, CANADA
Posts: 5,668
Talking Re: Buying models without PayPal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28 View Post
^^^ well very well then I can respect that decision however, unfortunately in doing that you are greatly reducing your ability to do business online. I love to buy and sell on ebay, and I also love buying and selling on my car forums (I am into cars as well), and ofcourse these forums. If it werent for paypal you can pretty much kiss every transaction I have ever done away. No one is gonna want to take a money order lol.
You are entirely free to do as you wish.

As far as doing business online, as far as I'm concerned for the amount of online buying I do, I am not reduced at all. I just go through bona fide retailers. And there are a number of fleaBay vendors who also operate regular online stores who accept credit cards. I don't find any of it an inconvenience at all.

My brother, on the other hand, buys on fleaBay for his vintage car from every Tom, Dyck, and Harry in Canada and the U.S. He has had to replace his credit card 3 times in the last four years and had to deal with a nasty identity theft issue last year -- and all was linked directly to PayPal security issues according to the RCMP.

Good luck, chief!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Élégance en vol . . . Airfrance-style!

Last edited by Upkeep; 10-10-2011 at 05:51 PM. Reason: They blanked out the name 'D-I-C-K'!??? (LoL)
Upkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Insane Collector
 
IflyHA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Dallas, TX
Age: 27
Posts: 1,553
Default Re: Buying models without PayPal

Only thing I do not like about Paypal are the fees. Of course, when going through a secondary company such as PP, you have fees, but that is a drag and after selling a lot of models, the profit taken away from fees really does start to add up. Easily hundreds of dollars that could be in my pocket if I could avoid Paypal Fees. Other than that, Paypal really is so convenient and fast.
IflyHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Latest Threads
- by BA2936
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.