Caledonian B747-283B G-BMGS - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:200 Scale Model Aircraft

Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By reheat101
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-09-2021, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: london
Posts: 82
Default Caledonian B747-283B G-BMGS

Hello,

Here is the beautiful Inflight 200 Caledonian 747-283B,

reheat101.
Attached Thumbnails
Caledonian B747-283B G-BMGS-g-bmgs-b747-283b-2-.jpg   Caledonian B747-283B G-BMGS-g-bmgs-b747-283b-3-.jpg   Caledonian B747-283B G-BMGS-g-bmgs-b747-283b-4-.jpg  
reheat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-09-2021, 01:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
1/200 collector
 
ukjohna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,835
Default Re: Caledonian B747-283B G-BMGS

The upper fuselage color looks very light. See the original here. https://www.airliners.net/photo/Cale...47-283B/802978

This version looks to match the recent DC-10 release. Still looks nice though. Even though I have the Inflight LE original, I think I will have to get one for the fleet.

Caledonian Fleet Shot by John A, on Flickr
ukjohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: london
Posts: 82
Default Re: Caledonian B747-283B G-BMGS

Hi John,

I just took a few quick shot's with the camera phone so no professional shots with proper lighting from me unfortunately, Nowhere near your standard,

It is unfortunate that sometimes the colours can be a little off, Maybe keeping a record of what paint was used is the answer ? Who knows,

I just got back from ARD after a click and collect and noticed all four of you're British Airways models on the shelf ready for dispatch, Hope you get them soon,

reheat101.
reheat101 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-10-2021, 08:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Collector
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Chester
Posts: 118
Default Re: Caledonian B747-283B G-BMGS

Gorgeous model! Thanks for the photos. I'm very tempted to buy this one.
They really need to do the 757 now that Inflight have the mould for it.

I'm confused with the 200 designation, with just the three windows on the upper deck, would that not make this a 747-100? That's how I've differentiated between them in the past.
Luftymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:10 AM   #5 (permalink)
1/200 collector
 
ukjohna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,835
Default Re: Caledonian B747-283B G-BMGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by reheat101 View Post
Hi John,

I just took a few quick shot's with the camera phone so no professional shots with proper lighting from me unfortunately, Nowhere near your standard,

It is unfortunate that sometimes the colours can be a little off, Maybe keeping a record of what paint was used is the answer ? Who knows,

I just got back from ARD after a click and collect and noticed all four of you're British Airways models on the shelf ready for dispatch, Hope you get them soon,

reheat101.
No worries. I would hardly call my shots “professional grade”, but I am lucky enough to have a room with lots of light these days.

Good to know that I have some inbound arrivals. Thanks for letting me know.
ukjohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:59 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Collector
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 25
Default Re: Caledonian B747-283B G-BMGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftymatt View Post
Gorgeous model! Thanks for the photos. I'm very tempted to buy this one.
They really need to do the 757 now that Inflight have the mould for it.

I'm confused with the 200 designation, with just the three windows on the upper deck, would that not make this a 747-100? That's how I've differentiated between them in the past.
G-BMGS (‘Gone Sick’ as she was affectionately known) was a fairly early build -200 series, Boeing line number 167, originally delivered to SAS in late 1971 and registered OY-KHA. The aircraft was delivered with only the three upper deck windows. Late model B747-100 and early build-200s were delivered with either the three or ten upper deck window option. Some customers received aircraft with the ten upper deck windows but with plugs inserted, in seven windows each side, to maintain fleet commonality with those that had only the three upper deck windows. Following operation with British Airways, British Airtours, and finally Caledonian, ‘GS’ was sold in early 1990 to Virgin and became G-VOYG until ending her days with the scrapman in 1999.

The peculiarity in the story is that during 1990, following refurbishment with Virgin, G-VOYG re-appeared with eight (not ten) upper deck windows!!! I’m not sure if this was because the aircraft was originally delivered with plugs inserted or whether an upper deck modification was carried out. Presumably two plugs remained after the refurbishment.

As a footnote BA’s own B747-100s inherited from BOAC were converted from three to ten upper deck window configuration starting in the late 1970s.
Transjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 10:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
1/200 collector
 
ukjohna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,835
Default Re: Caledonian B747-283B G-BMGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transjet View Post
G-BMGS (‘Gone Sick’ as she was affectionately known) was a fairly early build -200 series, Boeing line number 167, originally delivered to SAS in late 1971 and registered OY-KHA. The aircraft was delivered with only the three upper deck windows. Late model B747-100 and early build-200s were delivered with either the three or ten upper deck window option.
It also looks older to my eyes because of the Pratt and Whitney JT9D engines, compared with the RR RB211s used on the main BA 747-200 fleet (G-BDX*)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transjet View Post
As a footnote BA’s own B747-100s inherited from BOAC were converted from three to ten upper deck window configuration starting in the late 1970s.
Indeed they did. Here is G-AWNM, still in BOAC livery, after conversion.

G-AWNM BOAC 747-100 (Corrected) by John A, on Flickr
ukjohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
BY738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Glasgow
Age: 45
Posts: 507
Default

Again maybe lighting but golden strip/lion (don’t start on BCal) looks a but muted/dull/dark. Nice model, the 3 window upper deck does make it look very dated.
BY738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:02 AM.

Latest Threads
- by Baerke
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.