A few other models ... - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:200 Scale Model Aircraft

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By AIR FRANCE 340
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-25-2020, 06:36 AM   #1 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
AIR FRANCE 340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 49°18'55" N 000°00'19" W
Age: 77
Posts: 4,784
Default A few other models ...

I have a few other models badly displayed, I really need to do something to improve this.

They are in a built in cabinet between two walls.

Mainly old models, most of them no longer available, Western Models, Historic Aircraft, Jet Wings, AK Models, MAM, De Havilland Models, Skyline ...

Jean Pierre.
Attached Thumbnails
A few other models ...-others-.jpg   A few other models ...-others-b.jpg   A few other models ...-others-c.jpg   A few other models ...-others-d.jpg   A few other models ...-others-e.jpg  

A few other models ...-others-f.jpg  
arctic9048 likes this.
AIR FRANCE 340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-25-2020, 07:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Argosy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 324
Default Re: A few other models ...

An outstanding collection JP.

Loads of lovely Western Models (my particular passion/addiction).

Thanks for sharing.

Argosy
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:37 AM   #3 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
AIR FRANCE 340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 49°18'55" N 000°00'19" W
Age: 77
Posts: 4,784
Default Re: A few other models ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argosy View Post
An outstanding collection JP.

Loads of lovely Western Models (my particular passion/addiction).

Thanks for sharing.

Argosy
Just for you ...

The TWA L 749 has a speedpak, very nice, something we could suggest to Andrew.

Of course, I also have the AN 22, the TU 114 and the TU 144, too good to be missed.

Jean Pierre.
Attached Thumbnails
A few other models ...-wm1.jpg   A few other models ...-wm2.jpg   A few other models ...-wm3.jpg   A few other models ...-wm-4.jpg   A few other models ...-wm5.jpg  


Last edited by AIR FRANCE 340; 04-25-2020 at 09:01 AM. Reason: AN 22, TU 114 and TU 144
AIR FRANCE 340 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 04-25-2020, 09:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Argosy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 324
Default Re: A few other models ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR FRANCE 340 View Post
Just for you ...

The TWA L 749 has a speedpak, very nice, something we could suggest to Andrew.

Jean Pierre.
Lovely close ups

I too have the silver TWA Connie with speed-pack. Makes it look like a fire bomber (another of my passions). I don't think the WM white top TWA had it.

Would look good on your silver Air France Connie. I believe KLM and Qantas also used it.

Argosy
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
shandaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Pompano Beach
Posts: 4,381
Default Re: A few other models ...

Lovely retro collection. Is Western Models still a going concern?
shandaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Collector
 
Argosy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 324
Default Re: A few other models ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shandaken View Post
Lovely retro collection. Is Western Models still a going concern?
These are the original Western Models made in the UK by Mike Stephens. When Mike decided to retire and close company, new Western Models followed
on with production switching to China. The more popular types were released. Just to complicate things, Western Models UK have appeared with existing
& new castings.

Confusing or what?

Argosy
Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator
 
crownvic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Orlando FL
Posts: 10,986
Default Re: A few other models ...

great collection of original Western models and the fact they are not yellowed out is an achievement in itself....
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Real tomato ketchup Eddie?
Nothing but the best! "I don't know why they call this stuff hamburger helper. It does just fine by itself, huh? I like it better than tuna helper myself, don't you, Clark?"
"you're the gourmet around here, Ed!"
crownvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:35 AM   #8 (permalink)
1/200 collector
 
ukjohna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,654
Default Re: A few other models ...

Some little gems in there.
ukjohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
>>>>>>>
 
MDC11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Sydney
Posts: 132
Default Re: A few other models ...

Your collection does not cease to amaze.
Lots of rare birds.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MDC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Collector
 
Grecog70's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Rome
Age: 50
Posts: 742
Default Re: A few other models ...

G R E A Y collection, tks 4 sharing mate!
__________________
"Have a bandit day!"
Grecog70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
KLM 1:200 collector
 
Maarlandair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arnhem
Posts: 497
Default Re: A few other models ...

Nice Jean Pierre,

What is that really small plane on the top right picture?

The Constellation L 749 with speedpack is a beautiful model.
I believe only a TWA model has been made carying the speedpack.
KLM, Qantas, Eastern, Delta but also Air France used it
Maarlandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
AIR FRANCE 340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 49°18'55" N 000°00'19" W
Age: 77
Posts: 4,784
Default Re: A few other models ...

According to my source the speedpak was offered on the last twelve 049s and available on all subsequent standard Constellations.

Which aircraft do you mean ?
What is the nearest model ?

Jean Pierre.
AIR FRANCE 340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
KLM 1:200 collector
 
Maarlandair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arnhem
Posts: 497
Default Re: A few other models ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR FRANCE 340 View Post
According to my source the speedpak was offered on the last twelve 049s and available on all subsequent standard Constellations.

Which aircraft do you mean ?
What is the nearest model ?

Jean Pierre.
I meant the smallest one in this picture just above the TWA Connie
Attached Thumbnails
A few other models ...-others-.jpg  
Maarlandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:00 PM   #14 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
AIR FRANCE 340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 49°18'55" N 000°00'19" W
Age: 77
Posts: 4,784
Default Re: A few other models ...

It is an excellent Herpa Aeroflot Antonov 2.

Jean Pierre
AIR FRANCE 340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 03:26 PM   #15 (permalink)
KLM 1:200 collector
 
Maarlandair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Arnhem
Posts: 497
Default Re: A few other models ...

Nice, love those little biplanes
Maarlandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
EVERYTHING VH REGISTERED
 
Aussiejets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 33.9399S,151.1753E
Age: 55
Posts: 3,602
Default Re: A few other models ...

You even have the Witworth IPEC VH -rego. Some rare birds there. Well done JP
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



Qantas founded Winton Queensland 16th November 1920
Aussiejets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 02:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
Baerke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Roermond, Netherlands
Age: 47
Posts: 3,973
Default Re: A few other models ...

Beautiful rare collection Jean Pierre, amazing.
__________________
KLM fanatic, also Lufthansa, Air France, Delta, Pan Am, Swissair, Sabena etc.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Baerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:44 AM   #18 (permalink)
Complete Wacko!
 
AIR FRANCE 340's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: 49°18'55" N 000°00'19" W
Age: 77
Posts: 4,784
Default Re: A few other models ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiejets View Post
You even have the Witworth IPEC VH -rego. Some rare birds there. Well done JP
There is a story about the AW 650 / 660 Argosy.

In 1955 the Air Ministry issued a specification for a medium range cargo but it was also specified that the aircraft should meet civil airworthiness standards.

Armstrong Whitworth started working on the project.
At this time, the Minister of Defense Duncan Sandys cancelled most of the military aircraft projects, companies were forced to merge and it became clear that it was necessary to save every penny.
Armstrong Whitworth became controlled by Hawker Siddeley.

The Chairman of Hawker Siddeley noticed that the wing of the AW 650 was very similar in size to the wing of the old Avro Shackleton, to save money, he ordered to use the wing of the Shackleton for the new aircraft.

The Argosy was fitted with a wing which was 680 kg heavier.
The overweight and the excess of drag reduced the speed by 20 kts.

This was no all, to save more money, the Dart engines, the propellers and the engine nacelles of the Vickers Viscount were used.
Also, again to save money, the twin booms of the Argosy were made using sections of the Gloster Meteor fuselage, simply because at that time, this fighter was built under contract by AW.

There were no prototypes, the first two airframes went for static tests, the rest were production aircraft.

Jean Pierre.
Attached Thumbnails
A few other models ...-argosy.jpg  

Last edited by AIR FRANCE 340; 04-26-2020 at 08:47 AM.
AIR FRANCE 340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #19 (permalink)
1/200 collector
 
ukjohna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,654
Default Re: A few other models ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR FRANCE 340 View Post
There is a story about the AW 650 / 660 Argosy.

In 1955 the Air Ministry issued a specification for a medium range cargo but it was also specified that the aircraft should meet civil airworthiness standards.

Armstrong Whitworth started working on the project.
At this time, the Minister of Defense Duncan Sandys cancelled most of the military aircraft projects, companies were forced to merge and it became clear that it was necessary to save every penny.
Armstrong Whitworth became controlled by Hawker Siddeley.

The Chairman of Hawker Siddeley noticed that the wing of the AW 650 was very similar in size to the wing of the old Avro Shackleton, to save money, he ordered to use the wing of the Shackleton for the new aircraft.

The Argosy was fitted with a wing which was 680 kg heavier.
The overweight and the excess of drag reduced the speed by 20 kts.

This was no all, to save more money, the Dart engines, the propellers and the engine nacelles of the Vickers Viscount were used.
Also, again to save money, the twin booms of the Argosy were made using sections of the Gloster Meteor fuselage, simply because at that time, this fighter was built under contract by AW.

There were no prototypes, the first two airframes went for static tests, the rest were production aircraft.

Jean Pierre.
Fascinating. A little of this, a little of that, and voila!
ukjohna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 AM.

Latest Threads
- by BA2936
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.