Considering to buy, is it worth the price? - DA.C
 

Go Back   DA.C > Ground Control > 1:200 Scale Model Aircraft

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-04-2016, 04:36 PM   #1
777-300ER enthusiast
 
Hallowenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bergen
Posts: 14
Default Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

I have recently started looking into diecast model aircrafts and I found a Gemini 200 Air China Boeing 747-8i that supposedly has been in its original packaging since it was new. Is the quality and details of this model any good? I have found lots of other models in 1:200 scale that are cheaper, so is this something to consider or not? Thanks for all help!
Hallowenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-04-2016, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Collector
 
YULsee26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Montreal, YUL
Posts: 293
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallowenman View Post
I have recently started looking into diecast model aircrafts and I found a Gemini 200 Air China Boeing 747-8i that supposedly has been in its original packaging since it was new. Is the quality and details of this model any good? I have found lots of other models in 1:200 scale that are cheaper, so is this something to consider or not? Thanks for all help!
Hey! I have this model and she is gorgeous. She was one of the first releases with the 747-8 mould and as a result doesn't have the jewelled landing lights in the wings like the new ones. But nonetheless, still a detailed model. I can post pictures if you'd like, otherwise see this link:

https://youtu.be/VOt97pxTilM

Great review of the model! Hope this helps!
__________________
Head in the clouds - feet on the ground
YULsee26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #3
Senior Collector
 
YULsee26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Montreal, YUL
Posts: 293
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallowenman View Post
I have found lots of other models in 1:200 scale that are cheaper, so is this something to consider or not? Thanks for all help!
It is a very big model so that is why you see a higher price. Comparing the price of this widebody aircraft to other smaller ones isn't fair! What price did you find?
__________________
Head in the clouds - feet on the ground
YULsee26 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 12-04-2016, 04:55 PM   #4
777-300ER enthusiast
 
Hallowenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bergen
Posts: 14
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULsee26 View Post
It is a very big model so that is why you see a higher price. Comparing the price of this widebody aircraft to other smaller ones isn't fair! What price did you find?
I live in Norway and found one for 1100 NOK + shipping which is roughly 250 NOK including tracking, which is somewhere around 160 USD, 127 GBP or 151 EUR.
Hallowenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:23 PM   #5
Insane Collector
 
jetfly1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ARADIPPOU
Posts: 2,633
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallowenman View Post
I live in Norway and found one for 1100 NOK + shipping which is roughly 250 NOK including tracking, which is somewhere around 160 USD, 127 GBP or 151 EUR.
I have this model and is Beautiful and the Price including shipping is just around there. I have a Air China diecast 1:200 fleet with around 15 airplanes but just advise you that if you starting a new diecast collection is better to focus in a certain subject. I collect around 15 different airlines into fleet collections. Some others planes they flew in,others same type airplanes. ....

Regards Modestos
__________________
My collection:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jetfly1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
777-300ER enthusiast
 
Hallowenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bergen
Posts: 14
Default

I contacted the seller and I am waiting for a reply. The questions I have about this model is if it is a metall model or plastic model. And how big is it in cm, wingspan and lenght?
Hallowenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #7
Senior Collector
 
YULsee26's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Montreal, YUL
Posts: 293
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallowenman View Post
I contacted the seller and I am waiting for a reply. The questions I have about this model is if it is a metall model or plastic model. And how big is it in cm, wingspan and lenght?
It is a metal diecast model. Dimensions are approx 38.2cm (L) x 34.3cm (Wingspan)
__________________
Head in the clouds - feet on the ground
YULsee26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:09 PM   #8
Collector of Queens
 
Kelso49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: 234 Bath Road
Posts: 637
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallowenman View Post
I have recently started looking into diecast model aircrafts and I found a Gemini 200 Air China Boeing 747-8i that supposedly has been in its original packaging since it was new. Is the quality and details of this model any good? I have found lots of other models in 1:200 scale that are cheaper, so is this something to consider or not? Thanks for all help!
I am sure you know this, when comparing prices on 1:200 models make sure you know what material the model is made out of. You will see some listed on ebay and online that are wood. Then many that are plastic. Skymarks, Hogan and most Herpas are plastic. Some Herpas are metal, you can look on their website to try and determine that. The Gemini mold for the 747-8 is excellent. I am sure you will like the model.
__________________
Looking to buy
Cal Air International DC-10 SWD10CAL
Small World United Airlines DC-10-30 SWD10UTDS

Someone please make in diecast
Family Airlines 747
Kelso49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:51 AM   #9
777-300ER enthusiast
 
Hallowenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bergen
Posts: 14
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

I have done some more research and have seen that JC Wings use lots of Gimini moulds, and some say that JC Wings basically is Gimini. The seller that is listing the Gimini 1:200 Air China 747-8i also has a JC Wings 1:200 Cathay Pacific 777-300, and it is not very expensive. Is this the same quality as Gemini? I really want a 777-300ER British Airways, but the price is not bad, and as it is the same seller I could most likely get a good deal if I ask for both, and also I would only have to pay shipping for one package.
Hallowenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:41 AM   #10
Insane Collector
 
jetfly1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: ARADIPPOU
Posts: 2,633
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallowenman View Post
I have done some more research and have seen that JC Wings use lots of Gimini moulds, and some say that JC Wings basically is Gimini. The seller that is listing the Gimini 1:200 Air China 747-8i also has a JC Wings 1:200 Cathay Pacific 777-300, and it is not very expensive. Is this the same quality as Gemini? I really want a 777-300ER British Airways, but the price is not bad, and as it is the same seller I could most likely get a good deal if I ask for both, and also I would only have to pay shipping for one package.
Yes it is the same quality. Don't hesitate to get this one. Of course the best B777 mould is the new InFlight 200. My self with more than 40 B777's in my collection having all moulds until today of the type of course have all B777's with Cathay Pacific colour,4 in total ( you can view my 36 Cathay Pacific diecast fleet in this page of the forum) believe me it's worth every penny.

Regards Modestos
__________________
My collection:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jetfly1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:07 AM   #11
777-300ER enthusiast
 
Hallowenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bergen
Posts: 14
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetfly1968 View Post
Yes it is the same quality. Don't hesitate to get this one. Of course the best B777 mould is the new InFlight 200. My self with more than 40 B777's in my collection having all moulds until today of the type of course have all B777's with Cathay Pacific colour,4 in total ( you can view my 36 Cathay Pacific diecast fleet in this page of the forum) believe me it's worth every penny.

Regards Modestos
This seller keep surprising me. He just responded to my previous emails before I had the time to mention his JC Wings 777-300 Cathay Pacific. Now he mentioned that he has a Gemini 200 Boeing 777-300 Air China as well as the Gemini 200 Boeing 747-8i Air China that I originally contacted him for. He has given me a discount if I buy the two Gemini 200 Air China models, would you recommend that or would the JC Wings 777-300 be a better alternative?
Hallowenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:26 AM   #12
long time collector
 
Charlie Alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: san diego
Posts: 5,631
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

The Gemini and JC Wings 777-300ER models are on the same mold, just different brand names are used. The liveries are different. I would ask for pictures of both liveries to make sure you know what you are buying. The GJ 777-300ER will not match the livery on the Air China 747-8i because it is the other Air China livery.

BTW, the Air China 747-8i, as stated before, is a GREAT looking model!
Charlie Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #13
777-300ER enthusiast
 
Hallowenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bergen
Posts: 14
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Alpha View Post
The Gemini and JC Wings 777-300ER models are on the same mold, just different brand names are used. The liveries are different. I would ask for pictures of both liveries to make sure you know what you are buying. The GJ 777-300ER will not match the livery on the Air China 747-8i because it is the other Air China livery.

BTW, the Air China 747-8i, as stated before, is a GREAT looking model!
How will the two Air China liveries not match? I found both models at the Gemini Jet page database which has pictures of both of them. Those liveries look very alike unless there are some small details about the liveries. I am not very familiar with Air China, but I do like the 747-8i Air China.
GeminiJets 777-300 Air China
GeminiJets 747-8i Air China
Hallowenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #14
long time collector
 
Charlie Alpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: san diego
Posts: 5,631
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Oops, that should have been the JCW model and not the GJ model, but it looks like JCW did release a 777-300ER model with the same livery on the old 777-300ER mold. You're right, the GJ AC 777-300ER model will match the AC 747-8i perfectly.

Last edited by Charlie Alpha; 12-05-2016 at 09:56 AM.
Charlie Alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #15
777-300ER enthusiast
 
Hallowenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Bergen
Posts: 14
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Alpha View Post
Oops, that should have been the JCW model and not the GJ model that is a different livery. You're right, the GJ AC 777-300ER model will match the AC 747-8i perfectly.

Which JCW 777-300ER model is he offering. THAT one should be a different livery, but the same mold as the GJ model. (the GJ models are mde in the JCW factory and are exactly the same mold).
The JC Wings he had to offer was a 1:200 777-300 Cathay Pacific. In other words, it will not match the 747-8i at all if I also pick up that. If they are the same mold as you state, then I assume quality of the model itself (not looking at the livery) should be pretty good. Unless the JC Wings is a lot better looking I think I'll just pick up the two Air China models to have a matching fleet. I was just asking as jetfly1968 stated that the JC Wings 777-300 Cathay Pacific is a really good model to get.
Hallowenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 11:37 AM   #16
Senior Collector
 
billville's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Yorba Linda, CA
Posts: 449
Default Re: Considering to buy, is it worth the price?

Don't want to beat a dead horse here, but as everyone here has stated.....the Gemini Air China 748 is gorgeous!! She was my first 748 purchase, and have since then expanded my fleet with more of their moulds. You will absolutely love the model! JC Wings and Gemini are among my favorite manufacturers, as their quality is superb.

Welcome to this heavily addicting hobby!!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
billville is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1:200 , 747-800 , boeing , gemini 200

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:52 AM.

Latest Threads
- by Ladia
 

Models of the Week
 



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.